BajaNomad

Stunning discovery on gray whale feeding habits

thebajarunner - 2-16-2021 at 03:32 PM

Wow!! I thought I had heard it all
Been chasing, studying and watching these big dudes for a lot of years.
And have been reading the concerns of those who are observing thin and emaciated whales.
This is all new, and pretty exciting IMO

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/gray-whales-learn-...

John Harper - 2-16-2021 at 03:53 PM

How interesting. Now, if we could get them to eat some of the overpopulated seals that decimate salmon and steelhead migrations, we'd really have a win-win situation.

John

BajaBlanca - 2-16-2021 at 04:31 PM

Simply astounding!

mtgoat666 - 2-16-2021 at 08:01 PM

Interesting.

This ability of gray whales to learn new tricks and adapt to man’s destruction of the environments, makes me think it would be possible to feed them purina dog chow, or even most anything off the McDonald’s dollar menu.

Also, Whale watching would be more entertaining if the whales came up to the boat to beg for Shrimp burritos!

advrider - 2-16-2021 at 08:08 PM

Animals never cease to amaze me, just shows how little we know. Thanks for sharing.

Skipjack Joe - 2-16-2021 at 08:44 PM

Hopefully polar bears will come up with a strategy as well and avoid extinction. Perhaps some already have.

Mulege Canuck - 2-17-2021 at 08:46 AM

The Gray Whales have been doing that at the North end of Denman Island, BC for over 30 years. So not really a new feeding technique. It is amazing to watch them work the sandy beaches stirring up the bottom and circling back to feed.

motoged - 2-17-2021 at 12:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Hopefully polar bears will come up with a strategy as well and avoid extinction. Perhaps some already have.

They may be cross-breeding with Grizzly and/or Alaskan browns (Kodiaks ?).
They are doomed if ice continues to melt at this rate.

Churchill, Manitoba is the closest viewing location....take the train for an adventure.

Howard - 2-17-2021 at 01:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
[rquote=1206304&tid=95692&author=

Churchill, Manitoba is the closest viewing location....take the train for an adventure.

I just looked into that trip and it looks spectacular. Maybe this fall.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but do you have any suggestions on which outfit to hook up with?

Skipjack Joe - 2-17-2021 at 02:22 PM

What amazes me is how many ghost shrimps does it take to feed a grey whale? You wouldn't think there are enough. Scammons Lagoon is loaded with ghost shrimps. They might be feeding there as well.

I once ate a ghost shrimp.

[Edited on 2-17-2021 by Skipjack Joe]