BajaNomad

Mexicali Crossing Report

Stewwalker - 3-9-2021 at 09:37 AM

We're headed south in a few months and I'm looking for a quick report on the border crossing situation. I'm planning on crossing at our usual time, noon-ish, at the Mexicali East entry. Has any of the usual procedures changed due to COVID?

Normal US to Mex cross times?
Still park and get the FFM, then haul ass?
Is anyone asking for a legit reason to cross?
What paperwork do I need to create to prove I need to be in Baja, or are 2 dirt bikes a good enough reason?

Lee - 3-9-2021 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Stewwalker  
We're headed south in a few months and I'm looking for a quick report on the border crossing situation. I'm planning on crossing at our usual time, noon-ish, at the Mexicali East entry. Has any of the usual procedures changed due to COVID?

Normal US to Mex cross times?
Still park and get the FFM, then haul ass?
Is anyone asking for a legit reason to cross?
What paperwork do I need to create to prove I need to be in Baja, or are 2 dirt bikes a good enough reason?

Your questions show you haven't done your homework.

Check back the week you're crossing. Months out is history.

I crossed N. 2 weeks ago, S. a month ago. Doesn't mean a thing.

Checkpoints go up overnight. Who knows how the pandemic will play out, esp. in Baja.

If you don't have legit proof to be traveling S., gas bill, tax receipt, RP, get creative.

US state dept. warns essential travel only into MX. I've only read one report of MX asking gringoes about where they're going over the past few months. Doesn't mean it won't start again tomorrow.

At a mercado in Loreto, they take your temp at the door, you step into a liquid solution then wipe your feet off, then asked to use the hand sanitizer. My temp was taken at the BCN/BCS ag checkpoint.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=95739

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=95755&pag...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=95757#pid1207...

David K - 3-9-2021 at 10:34 AM

Seriously... with the pandemic and essential travel rules, what it is like now is in no way going to help you for a trip months away. Ask a couple weeks before your trip... and just go with the flow, it all works out. Enjoy the drama or the fun!

Things that won't likely change:

*You will need a valid passport that will not expire in 6 months.
*You will still stop at the first building inside Mexico to obtain your FMM (tourist cards).
*If the restrictions are not lifted, you will need some evidence that you have property in Mexico or a job there or are going to school there. [but non-essential travel is happening all the time into Baja]

AKgringo - 3-9-2021 at 10:40 AM

I suggest that anybody who has been vaccinated should carry proof of it!

Who knows if it will be a factor in your favor, but it couldn't hurt your status.

David K - 3-9-2021 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I suggest that anybody who has been vaccinated should carry proof of it!

Who knows if it will be a factor in your favor, but it couldn't hurt your status.

Good point! I think having the card on you will be about as important as a driver's license!!

bajafreaks - 3-9-2021 at 01:34 PM

Top left of the page is a search feature...try it.

BajaBlanca - 3-9-2021 at 01:52 PM

Welcome to the forum. We just crossed 2 weeks ago and all was normal. No questions as to why we were headed south and we were pulled over because we had a lot of stuff (as always).

As the others have mentioned, the best idea is to write right before you come to get the best advice!