BajaNomad

Travel south during the end of March

smithfamilybajabound - 3-17-2021 at 10:07 AM

Do all the Pemex gas stations take credit cards and American Express? I driving down the 5 to LA Bay and Gurerro Negro.

David K - 3-17-2021 at 10:24 AM

NO!!! Some do, but don't count on it. There are other brands now in Mexico (Chevron, ARCO, BP, etc.), too.
CASH IS KING in Baja!

smithfamilybajabound - 3-17-2021 at 10:26 AM

What about San Felipe?

Lee - 3-17-2021 at 11:14 AM

I use VISA at Cabo Costco and Walmart. That's it. I've been hacked enough times over the years and now superstitious. Let my US bank know where I am. I would never use a CC at a gas station.

Use a Charles Schwab CC SOB as they do not charge a fee and will pick up the fees charged by MX banks.

David K - 3-17-2021 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by smithfamilybajabound  
What about San Felipe?

Yes, they take cash there, too!

Stealing money from your credit card (after you use it somewhere) is way more likely than being robbed on your vacation. Bring cash, lots of cash. Get more cash at bank ATMs if you run out.

Mr. Bills - 3-17-2021 at 12:28 PM

Even the stations that usually take credit cards will sometimes suffer sudden, unexpected and inexplicable issues with the card reader and insist upon cash.

Be prepared for all contingencies.

BajaMama - 3-19-2021 at 08:25 AM

Cash is the safest method for most purchases in Baja. I only use Credit Cards if I am staying in a motel/hotel & reservations were made on-line. I put my cash in at least 3 different locations and only keep a day's worth in my purse/wallet.

I know many will disagree with me but it's what I do.

PaulW - 3-19-2021 at 08:28 AM

Get your cash a Bancomer with an 8K peso limit per transaction if your us bank allows that much Smal fee from both ends

JZ - 3-19-2021 at 08:57 AM

Do all the Pemex gas stations take credit cards and American Express? I driving down the 5 to LA Bay and Gurerro Negro.

Not all, but a lot do. Maybe 70% give or take. Visa, not AmEx. I mostly use a CC at gas stations, but always have cash just in case

It's best to have 2-3 credit, debit cards if something happens to one of them.

JZ - 3-19-2021 at 09:05 AM

What about San Felipe?

Yes, you will for sure be able to use a CC for gas in San Felipe.

There is some exaggerated hand wringing of CC theft in this thread. By ppl who admit they don't use a CC in Mexico. I have a thousand times, and can't recall one issue.

And even if there was, the bank will reverse it. You get a good exchange rate with a CC. Make sure it is one that doesn't charge international fees.

JZ - 3-19-2021 at 09:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Get your cash a Bancomer with an 8K peso limit per transaction if your us bank allows that much Smal fee from both ends

This is good advice. Should also bring some before entering MX.

My experience is every ATM location in Mexico has different limits even from the same bank. Forget what it is at Bancomer in Loreto, but it's not 8K. So you have to make multiple withdrawals.

Bajabus - 3-19-2021 at 10:18 AM

In Todos Santos and CSL at Bancomer it's 15K pesos and it will cost you 49 pesos for the bank service fee.

Same towns at BBV it's an 8K limit and for the privilege they ask for 99 pesos.

My US bank is a credit union.

AKgringo - 3-19-2021 at 10:37 AM

In November, the station on the south side of San Felipe offered to run my credit card, but I paid cash.

Four or five years ago, there was a drastic fluctuation in the exchange rate, and banks in MUlege and Loreto refused to accept US dollars for pesos, or allow withdrawals at their ATMs.

I was able to pay at local stores and the Pemex on the highway in Loreto with US plastic. Since then, I have increased the amount of Pesos that I stash in various places!