BajaNomad

Mexicali crossing opening April 1st

RonJ - 4-1-2021 at 12:24 AM

After several months of work on the Mexican side of the Calexico West border crossing, the new vehicular step will be opened the Secretary of Communications and Transportation of Baja California reported. It will open Thursday, April 1st, at 8 am. Vehicles will be able to return to the traditional route along Colón Avenue.

Cars with sentri and medical lane will continue to enter Rio Nuevo Boulevard. The intention of building the vehicle bridge and depressed passage is to try to speed up crossing times for people who daily have to go to the US.

https://www.elimparcial.com/mexicali/mexicali/Pondra-SCT-en-...

167288196_2143359609296946_8488081770876224225_n.jpg - 99kB 167255168_2143359585963615_6304338619320947336_n.jpg - 84kB 167300409_2143359545963619_7625462596215551015_n.jpg - 132kB

tecatero - 4-1-2021 at 04:32 AM

So does this mean the current detour is no longer the access for general crossing ? I sure hope they leave the Sentri access the way it is, sure easy, thanks for the update

scotinexcile - 4-1-2021 at 10:01 AM

We will be watching this thread for any updates as we are planning to travel South on April 13th and North on April 16th

David K - 4-1-2021 at 11:23 AM

Imagine being down in that below grade/ ditch road, idling with all the other cars' exhaust! cough cough

AKgringo - 4-1-2021 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Imagine being down in that below grade/ ditch road, idling with all the other cars' exhaust! cough cough

But David, you will be wearing a mask, won't you? If it will block a Rona virus, it should catch the soot!

mtgoat666 - 4-1-2021 at 04:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RonJ  

After several months of work on the Mexican side of the Calexico West border crossing, the new vehicular step will be opened the Secretary of Communications and Transportation of Baja California reported. It will open Thursday, April 1st, at 8 am. Vehicles will be able to return to the traditional route along Colón Avenue.

Cars with sentri and medical lane will continue to enter Rio Nuevo Boulevard. The intention of building the vehicle bridge and depressed passage is to try to speed up crossing times for people who daily have to go to the US.

https://www.elimparcial.com/mexicali/mexicali/Pondra-SCT-en-...

I bet that sub grade road floods when it rains!

David K - 4-1-2021 at 04:28 PM

When they refill the Salton Sea, that will be the canal!!!

AKgringo - 4-1-2021 at 04:37 PM

You folks do realize that this is the first post, and the newbie registered today, April first!

AKgringo - 4-1-2021 at 05:19 PM

Oops! I did not even look at the news link, I thought it was a caption for the photo! I was off by a day on the post as well.

David K - 4-1-2021 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Oops! I did not even look at the news link, I thought it was a caption for the photo! I was off by a day on the post as well.

It was after midnight, Apr. 1.
You didn't re-set your Nomad clock when we went on Daylight Savings, did you??
Change to Mountain Time to fix the posting clock if you are in California.

AKgringo - 4-1-2021 at 06:02 PM

Mountain time? I did not think about that, i thought the time kept changing due to being logged in or not because of my former Alaska location.

When I am not logged in, the date shows 4/1, but when I signed in to post, it changed to 3/31.

Alm - 4-2-2021 at 07:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

My thoughts exactly. But Calexico East is still an option, isn't it?

Don Pisto - 4-2-2021 at 07:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Mountain time? I did not think about that, i thought the time kept changing due to being logged in or not because of my former Alaska location.

When I am not logged in, the date shows 4/1, but when I signed in to post, it changed to 3/31.

Eureka! you've achieved time travel, I'd go back to the 80's!:cool:

PaulW - 4-2-2021 at 08:41 PM

When I passed thru I think the low point is where Colon Ave enters the area. However It does not appear there is no drainage from that point.

Colon Ave stays the same for standard.
Big change from my last trip.
The video shows westbound to the border with the fence on the right to get to Sentri? Now we need a Nomad to drive the new way and report.
The real question is Hwy5 the way to go or is there a new main drag? Just more mx confusion IMO.

pjpvi - 4-3-2021 at 07:31 AM

I came through this new section April 2 after trying to re-enter the US at the East crossing only to find it was closed. Didn't realize it was new at the time but was pleased when I popped out of the tunnel section to find this new route had a MUCH shorter line than the lanes that must come from the middle of town.

Anyone know why the Calexico / Mexicali East border is closed north bound? I haven't been in touch with news lately.

PaulW - 4-3-2021 at 03:18 PM

Ask Google and found something like - east crossing does not have enough traffic so the hours were reduced to 6AM to 2PM. Happened months ago.
Just a lie IMO.

JZ - 4-3-2021 at 03:33 PM

Get Sentri ppl.

PaulW - 4-3-2021 at 03:37 PM

pjpvi
Your trip
Sentri, Ready, or standard?

Tioloco - 4-3-2021 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Get Sentri ppl.

Sentri doesn't work when towing a trailer or carrying "too much stuff" according to a CBP guard.
When towing, even us Sentri card holders get to see how inefficient the process is in the regular lines.

The long wait time has NOTHING to do with security. It is a mismanaged disaster. I do feel bad for those that have to wait in the line daily to get across.

PaulW - 4-3-2021 at 04:22 PM

For sure Sentri I not the answer.
However I see some pretty heavily loaded pickup trucks breezing thru Sentri. Never a trailer even an empty flatbed.

Those of us that are stuck without Sentri have to do careful timing to go north.

Yes the standard line is way bad most of the time.

Tioloco - 4-3-2021 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
For sure Sentri I not the answer.
However I see some pretty heavily loaded pickup trucks breezing thru Sentri. Never a trailer even an empty flatbed.

Those of us that are stuck without Sentri have to do careful timing to go north.

Yes the standard line is way bad most of the time.

There is no consistency from port to port. What is an acceptable amount of luggage/gear for Sentri at Mexicali will get you a warning or revocation at San Luis.

JZ - 4-3-2021 at 05:22 PM

Go through Sentri all the time with the truck full and two dirt bikes on a carrier.

[Edited on 4-4-2021 by JZ]

Yesterday heading north

msawin - 4-7-2021 at 08:19 PM

Did it yesterday.
Was thinking about going somewhere else to enter.
I don’t know where those photos came from... misleading
When you come south, new entry, north is right next to you.
They are getting the south entrance set up for lines..backups
... Sentri, if you only come down once in a while, maybe not needed, but mine is on order.
Right now the north entry is only set up for sentri.
.. non-sentries entry. I’ve always headed in on 5 and turned right,went east 10 blocks, made left, made left, got on the wall heading west.
The east side is still coming in, merging. I didn’t go east so not sure but probably the same as the last 5 years..
.. this trip made left turn on “James Stone”.. this is the one you want for sentri.. two blocks and get in line north. But I wasn’t sentri , so went 10-15 blocks west, followed signs, made right, made right, and then east too marked entrance for north.. two hours and 5 minutes.
If you want to u2 me I’ll give you my phone number and we can talk..
Marty

Perty easy, just time in line

msawin - 4-7-2021 at 08:23 PM

Time
7:45 am, 9:50 exit

RonJ - 4-7-2021 at 11:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msawin  

Was thinking about going somewhere else to enter.
I don’t know where those photos came from... misleading

Quote: Originally posted by RonJ  

Cars with sentri and medical lane will continue to enter Rio Nuevo Boulevard.

If you bothered to read the original post or read the article and not just look at the pictures you would know that those photos are not Sentri lanes.