BajaNomad

If you wanted to buy 3 ATV's at a reasonable cost, what would you buy?

Bajabus - 4-17-2021 at 03:01 PM

One for me, one for the wife and one for my almost 15 year old. For use in BCS on a semi daily basis to explore. I don't mind buying in SC and driving down. I have no idea about the first thing to consider since I have never purchased one before. Like what is the price range, what cc is appropriate etc.? Buy new or used? I love fast and big but maybe the wife and son do not.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

JZ - 4-17-2021 at 03:13 PM

Had an ATV years ago. Today, I wouldn't own an ATV. Too dangerous and not that much fun. They are ok for dinging around here and there. But you can't take one on a serious trail ride.

Dirt bikes are more fun and safer. Get two, for you and your son. Get the wife a Razor/SXS.

Or just get two SXS total instead of the dirt bikes. Share between the 3 of you.

[Edited on 4-18-2021 by JZ]

Bajabus - 4-17-2021 at 03:25 PM

Thanks JZ but my wife is 2 wheel challenged. I love the bike idea. You suggest the Razor/sxs for the wife but what about for me and son. I had a Harley 1200 hard tail down here years ago and loved it to death. Dropped it all the time on deep sandy roads

harley in baja.jpg - 73kB

del mar - 4-17-2021 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajabus  
Thanks JZ but my wife is 2 wheel challenged. I love the bike idea. You suggest the Razor/sxs for the wife but what about for me and son. I had a Harley 1200 hard tail down here years ago and loved it to death. Dropped it all the time on deep sandy roads

run what you brung!:coolup:

Bajabus - 4-17-2021 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

run what you brung!:coolup:

I aint brung nada is my dilema

TMW - 4-17-2021 at 04:03 PM

Probably one of the most common 3 wheel ATVs was the Honda 185 4 stroke. We started off with 1 Honda 110 then my son, daughter and I fought over riding it. Soon I had two 185s then my son had a Kawasaki 250 two stroke. Later my daughter got a Honda 350x 4 stroke. I loved riding them. It's different that a motorcycle you got to get use to the body english needed. I wish I had never sold that 350x but with age comes a cage.

My daughter could ride that 110 everywhere in Glamis. She could out ride all her boy friends that went with us.

[Edited on 4-18-2021 by TMW]

pacificobob - 4-17-2021 at 04:48 PM

my 2 cents.....
honda makes some fine 4wheelers.

finding the bargains on clean low use machines is tough.

place a wanted ad. let the sellers come to you.

imlost - 4-17-2021 at 05:14 PM

Unless you want to have a UTV that will carry all of you at once, I'd consider Honda quads. If you're looking at 4wd, consider the Rancher or Foreman. Parts are more available in BCS for Honda. I have a Honda and a Yamaha, and I almost always have to bring parts from the US for the Yamaha.

I'd completely avoid the older 3-wheelers. They are more prone to tip at higher speeds, which is why they are no longer made.

Bajabus - 4-17-2021 at 05:14 PM

Thanks, I have some research to do.

JZ - 4-17-2021 at 05:16 PM

That is a sweet pic Bajabus.

JZ - 4-17-2021 at 05:19 PM

Remember also, a SXS with a good suspension is going to be infinitely more comfortable than an ATV.

[Edited on 4-18-2021 by JZ]

imlost - 4-17-2021 at 05:27 PM

...You don't necessarily need 4wd quads for sand. 2wd quads are much less expensive.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy used ones if you're on a budget. Consider lower mileage quads, and inspect for rust. You may also want to consider an automatic transmission model if your wife is moto-challenged.

That is definitely a really sweet picture!

imlost - 4-17-2021 at 05:33 PM

For a UTV, consider the Honda Pioneer 700-4 or the 1000-5. I've never driven one, but it's what I would consider if I was in the market.

cortezpirasea - 4-17-2021 at 05:34 PM

Honda

Don Jorge - 4-17-2021 at 06:05 PM

Honda Foreman, auto, 4 wd. Build some over head racks and buy baskets to put on front and back.

They will take you lots of places with gear to camp and or explore.

20201224_201249.jpg - 82kB

John Harper - 4-18-2021 at 06:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Probably one of the most common 3 wheel ATVs was the Honda 185 4 stroke. We started off with 1 Honda 110 then my son, daughter and I fought over riding it. Soon I had two 285s then my son had a Kawasaki 250 two stroke. Later my daughter got a Honda 350x 4 stroke. I loved riding them. It's different that a motorcycle you got to get use to the body english needed. I wish I had never sold that 350x but with age comes a cage.

My daughter could ride that 110 everywhere in Glamis. She could out ride all her boy friends that went with us.

They stopped making those 3 wheelers as so many people got their legs caught when they put them down. Saw a lot of them out in Glamis back in the 1980's. Rode them a few times, no thanks. I had a RM250 at the time that was infinitely more fun and practical.

Four wheels or two, stay away from any trikes, dirt or street.

Nice picture of the old Sportster! Mine's 31 years old this year.

You might want to get similar brands/models. My buddy buys dual sports on CL, I fix them, and he rides and then sells them. Yamaha XT225/250, Suzuki DRZ400, Honda XRs. I'd stay with carbureted bikes, but that's just my opinion, EFI is pretty stable technology today.

All good bikes easy to work on and reliable. Maybe a couple XTs and a DRZ for yourself? He has yet to buy/find a deal on a Kawasaki, so I have no opinion on those. Did ride a couple "Kawi triples" in the late 70's, but that's my only experience with a Kawasaki.

John

[Edited on 4-18-2021 by John Harper]

Bajabus - 4-18-2021 at 07:30 AM

Great suggestions.
Not interested in three wheels, it's going to be 4.
I like carbureted it's what I grew up with and am familiar with.
the Honda Forman looks nice and I was surprised to see them between 7 and 8K new back in NC. 518cc might be too much for the kid.

I jones for a 2 wheel. Lordy that pic does make me pine for the old days. Used to hang out down here in the mid 90's over at Palapa Bobs just south of Cerritos. Big palapa gone now. Bunch of motorcyclists always partying there. He was very proud of his 12 VDC blender. I wonder whatever happened to him. I lost track. That's where the pic was taken.

Where in SoCal would be a good place to hunt some quad Hondas down? I don't mind low mileage used since wife and I are both pretty handy and experienced mechanics.

Does buying in the states make more sense than down here?

Bajabus - 4-18-2021 at 09:12 AM

Here's a better pic of some of the Palapa Bob crowd.

Bobs to my left in the pic. If anyone recognizes him and knows how to contact please let me know.

Lynn, my wife, is behind the guy flipping off the camera. It was safer riding there ;)

motorcycles at palapa.jpg - 99kB

El Jefe - 4-18-2021 at 12:20 PM

I bought a new 07 Yamaha two wheel drive quad after we moved over to the east cape. It has been thoroughly abused all its life and I can't kill it. All I've ever done is change the oil about every two years. I don't like to work on stuff, so I don't much. Just a lazy surfer. A reliable rig it's been. Neighbors got Polaris quads back around the same time and they were terrible. I think they are better now.
Four wheel drive is needed if you want to pull something like a small boat down to the beach, but otherwise not needed at all. Sometimes deals come up down here, but they get snapped up in a hurry.

My quad is now second string. We bought a Kawasaki side by side four seater last year and my wife loves it for runs down the beach for sushi. Table for four! It is kind of like a cross between a farm service vehicle and one of those low slung go fast rigs the goggled crew flies by in on Camino Cabo del Este.

I've always wondered what those excursion companies do with their rigs when they are retired from service. But maybe they might be too used up. I'd ask around at dealers and service places in Cabo before going stateside to buy. I bought my Kawi up there and had it shipped down. I may have paid about the same all-in had I just bought locally.

TMW - 4-18-2021 at 12:36 PM

Search https://www.atvtrader.com/

John Harper - 4-18-2021 at 12:49 PM

Where in SoCal would be a good place to hunt some quad Hondas down? I don't mind low mileage used since wife and I are both pretty handy and experienced mechanics.

Does buying in the states make more sense than down here?

Craigslist works for my friend. I would think selection in the states would be better, and you can surely find a deal. My friend has picked up some great bikes for next to nothing. A little carb work, etc, and back on the trail.

John

JZ - 4-18-2021 at 02:20 PM

Definitely want to buy from the US. Much more selection and you will find ones that have been well maintained.

I bought all the kids bikes over the years off of craigslist, until buying 2 new KTMs once they stopped growing.

imlost - 4-18-2021 at 04:27 PM

Craigslist and Offerup.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one in BCS, provided it wasn't rode hard and put away salty. Rust is a big issue with many ATV's that aren't washed regularly.

One thing you should consider with buying and importing from the US: You need to have proof of ownership to get across the border. Because many ATV's aren't ever registered, you may have to go through the extra trouble to do this, which also means that you should check the VIN prior to purchase, to make sure it's not hot.

Another thing you should consider, is that you may have to buy a trailer to get them all down there, and that trailer will also have to be registered.

Last, but not least, if you're making the road trip solely to bring your toys down, consider that fuel and other expenses are probably going to total in excess of $1,200 US, so it may not be worth it if you're only considering one quad. It will be best for you to buy them all in the US and bring them down at once, unless you regularly make the drive (not fly). You have to also consider the time it will take you to do this, unless you have time to spare.

With all of this - Been there, done that. It's not simple, and for this reason, you may want to keep your eyes open and ear to the ground for deals in and around your area of BCS.

pacificobob - 4-18-2021 at 04:45 PM

any sort of ocean/beach exposure results in rust. wheel bearings,frame ect. yet another reason to buy up north. i bought a 5 year old honda foreman with 145 miles on it. wasn't cheap...but a real creampuff.

PaulW - 4-18-2021 at 04:55 PM

Contact the local Mx outfit that rents them and make a deal. The large ATV vendors have very old and unreliable as well as the latest new models. And everywhere in between
Here in San Felipe there are multiple vendors that deal in ATVs. One of them has dozens of them to choose from. They wont sell during busy holiday times, but when thing are slow the deals arise.

Maderita - 4-18-2021 at 05:22 PM

Bajabus,
There are some "interesting" answers above. I won't bother debating them.
My recommendations: Honda for reliability and parts (new & used) availability. A 4-stroke, 200cc to 300cc quad should have plenty of power for anything, including sand. (For running the big sand dunes at Glamis, 400cc or more). 2WD is fine unless you are in mud bogs. 4WD adds weight, tends to decrease agility, and adds significantly to the cost (new or used).

Quads have a quick learning curve and require less athleticism and skill development than a 2-wheel dirt bike. You can add a rack(s) to a quad and easily carry gear or groceries.

My pick is the Honda TRX250EX and/or the Honda Recon TRX250. I have a TRX250EX and two Recons, one with manual shift, the other electric shift).

The "250" (229cc) engine has enough power, yet probably not so much power that your 15 year old will get in trouble. Super reliable. Parts are easily available. Many aftermarket accessories are available. They have a driveshaft, so no chain and sprockets to maintain. Light enough that I can lift the front or rear end to get unstuck or spin it around. Fuel efficient engine. An automatic clutch reduces the learning curve. In 10 minutes, friends learn enough to follow on easy trail rides.

Though essentially the same, there are a few differences. The TRX250EX is a little "sportier". A few pounds lighter, more suspension travel, alloy wheels, no cargo racks (a quality aftermarket rear rack is under $100). The Recon has steel wheels, OEM front and rear cargo racks, and is available with manual (foot lever) or electric shift (thumb buttons for the left hand).
https://www.atvstyle.com/honda-trx-250ex-specs/
https://offroadingpro.com/honda-recon-250/

My quads are fitted with trailer hitches ($25) and sometimes tow a small trailer for hauling hay bales or gathering firewood on the ranch. The OEM thumb throttles were replaced with MotionPro twist throttles, approx $80 for the kit), preferred for rides longer rides to prevent thumb fatigue.

I'd suggest buying new or used in the USA. New MSRP is under $5k. It might take a while to find used, but desert season is coming to a close, so perhaps this is a good time to start looking. Expect to pay $2k to $3k for a used one in very good condition (the asking price is probably $500 higher).

All of my numerous bikes are through Craigslist, private party. I'm mechanically inclined, so I check them out myself and have never been burned. Do check the Certificate of Ownership (title) and current registration. Make sure the VIN and motor number (for motorcycles and quads) match the paperwork, as well as, the seller's ID.

If you are wanting your bike to be for faster/sport riding, perhaps check out the Honda 300EX or 400EX. However, you will have a chain to adjust, lube, and replace.
Always use 4 stroke motorcycle oil, such as Honda GN4, not automotive oil, due to the internal transmission's requirement for special lubrication properties. The Honda's should last a long, long time.

tiotomasbcs - 4-18-2021 at 06:45 PM

I knew Bob...Palapa Bob or whatever...he rode a Harley if I remember right and met him at Shut Up Franks. I remember his place and may have met you and some others?! I have lived near the beach in Pescadero since early 2000. Like many, Bob seemed to have disappeared from our crowd. Still loving BCS even as the crowds and changes keep coming. I've got a 4WD Toyota and a Honda Polaris for beach runs. Keep on!

Bajabus - 4-19-2021 at 07:08 AM

Maderita,

Thanks for taking the time to put together that comprehensive post. The advice about switching to twist throttles is really good to know and drive-shaft vs chain is food for thought. I am now convinced that for tooling around the 250 2 wheel drive quads should be fine fun.

At those prices I am leaning towards new in the states or down here taking into consideration the 1K+ in cost and time to go up and back.

I really appreciate all the advice from everyone.

[Edited on 19-4-2021 by Bajabus]

Bajabus - 4-19-2021 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
I knew Bob...Palapa Bob or whatever...he rode a Harley if I remember right and met him at Shut Up Franks. I remember his place and may have met you and some others?! I have lived near the beach in Pescadero since early 2000. Like many, Bob seemed to have disappeared from our crowd. Still loving BCS even as the crowds and changes keep coming. I've got a 4WD Toyota and a Honda Polaris for beach runs. Keep on!

Bob was a fun guy, I sure do hope he is OK and I can figure out a way to reconnect. There were some incredibly rambunctious parties under that Palapa!

Maderita - 4-19-2021 at 11:00 AM

Bajabus,
De nada. I hope that info helps.
I didn't realize that you live so close to major tourist areas. In that case, you might do a guided tourist ride with the family. See how they enjoy their experience while you check out the performance and technical aspects of the quads. A couple decades ago, I rented out of CSL. If I recall correctly, I rode a Honda 300EX quad. It can't hurt to try it out before committing. The business may even have some tips for you on where/how to get the best deals.

JZ - 4-19-2021 at 11:29 AM

If you are getting an ATV and a Honda, you want the 450 with a manual.

Those are way more fun than the 250's. Night and day difference.

They rent the 450 Honda's up at Pismo beach if you want to try one before you buy. They also rent 250's for comparison. Don't let your kid ride the 450, he's never gonna want the 250 after experiencing that.

[Edited on 4-19-2021 by JZ]

Bajabus - 4-19-2021 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Don't let your kid right the 450, he's never gonna want the 250 after experiencing that.

[Edited on 4-19-2021 by JZ]

LOL you got that right!

Don Jorge - 4-19-2021 at 12:05 PM

All 3 of our kids learned to operate an atv safely on our 1999 Honda 4 x 4 Foreman, 400cc, manual tranny.
Today that quad is going on 12k miles and is still used daily by our irrigator. A very good Honda machine indeed.

You can always throttle back, gear down to control velocity but when in need of torque or speed, there is no replacement for displacement.
20210418_115740.jpg - 304kB

Nice to read all the first hand experiences from the Nomads.

JZ - 4-19-2021 at 12:18 PM

Kids' first quads.

Bajabus - 4-19-2021 at 12:59 PM

OK JZ, that is super cute.

ehall - 4-20-2021 at 08:32 AM

Those 2 pictures you posted are solid gold. Got any more to share? Any of the name brand 4 wheelers are good. No chinese ones.

Bajabus - 4-20-2021 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Those 2 pictures you posted are solid gold. Got any more to share? Any of the name brand 4 wheelers are good. No chinese ones.

ehall, I do but I don't want to highjack the thread. I am thinking of finally doing part 4 of "Pillar and the Great Atomic Fireball" The statue of limitations here in Mexico has run out on that one so it think it's safe to post. I will put pics in that thread.

Here are links to parts 1, 2 and three. Please do not clutter up this ATV thread with posts about that story. I think you can still revive those old threads and post there. I am already guilty of having strayed by going down the memory hole. Us old guys get distracted easily.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46&goto=s...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47&goto=s...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=221&goto=...

ehall - 4-20-2021 at 10:46 AM

ehall, I do but I don't want to highjack the thread. I am thinking of finally doing part 4 of "Pillar and the Great Atomic Fireball" The statue of limitations here in Mexico has run out on that one so it think it's safe to post. I will put pics in that thread.

Here are links to parts 1, 2 and three. Please do not clutter up this ATV thread with posts about that story. I think you can still revive those old threads and post there. I am already guilty of having strayed by going down the memory hole. Us old guys get distracted easily.

Thanks. We have had really good luck with our Polaris 4 wheelers. We had a 425 sportsman and a 500 sportsman. Both great machines.

Hook - 4-20-2021 at 11:29 AM

I pretty much agree with this, with regards to the legacy Japanese mfgrs. (Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki). Even though they clearly have parts made in China in them. The only real problems I've seen have been with the Polaris and Can Am brands, ESPECIALLY THE SIDE BY SIDES. Not so much the true ATVs.

imlost - 4-20-2021 at 01:31 PM

Again, I'm going to reference parts availability. I believe the only dealerships you'll find in BCS are Honda and Can-Am. Otherwise, plan on getting parts from the US. Take it from a seasoned pro at waiting: It really sucks when your ATV breaks down and you have to go to the US to get parts. This can be for the smallest malfunctioning thing, like a leaky petc-ck gasket. Choose your brand wisely.

pacificobob - 4-20-2021 at 04:28 PM

get hondas. the need for parts will be very infrequent.
it only hurts once to buy the good stuff.

Don Pisto - 4-20-2021 at 06:08 PM

get ready to see people lose their minds;)....I'd take a long look at some of the Chinese brands! first of all they're a fraction of the cost, they're knock off's of the Japanese brands and many parts are interchangeable. the fact is there's a ton of crap that comes from China, and some quality chit also. fact is KTM is now producing the Duke, some Adventure models, actually all the L8 engines and you can bet there's a side by side on the horizon not to mention maybe bringing back their excellent quad that was just too damn expensive, all from China. heck you're not gonna race these things, take a look!

John Harper - 4-20-2021 at 06:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
get ready to see people lose their minds;)....I'd take a long look at some of the Chinese brands! first of all they're a fraction of the cost, they're knock off's of the Japanese brands and many parts are interchangeable. the fact is there's a ton of crap that comes from China, and some quality chit also. fact is KTM is now producing the Duke, some Adventure models, actually all the L8 engines and you can bet there's a side by side on the horizon not to mention maybe bringing back their excellent quad that was just too damn expensive, all from China. heck you're not gonna race these things, take a look!

On another forum a member recently bought a Chinese knockoff Mikuni HSR42 carb for a Sportster. It was actually better finished than the real Mikuni, at about 1/3 the price. He has not had a chance to try it out (at the dragstrip!) but the quality looked good from what he posted. I'll be interested in seeing how it performs compared to the Mikuni. We shall see.

John

[Edited on 4-21-2021 by John Harper]

AKgringo - 4-20-2021 at 06:31 PM

I have a Chinese knock off of a Honda single cylinder on my log splitter. The throttle control is crap, and if you fail to turn the fuel supply off, gasoline will dilute the engine oil!

Don't get me started on the power tools from China that Harbor Freight sells!

advrider - 4-20-2021 at 06:41 PM

I worked in a bike shop in my younger years, think three wheelers and early quads. The ranchers would bring Hondas in, in such poor shape I would have bet they would never run again. Air filter, carb rebuilds and we wouldn't see them for another 3-4 years. They would run them until the air filter were solid mud, we would find mud in the intake manifold.
I'm a KTM guy for two wheels but if I had a quad it would be a Honda.

JZ - 4-20-2021 at 06:54 PM

Take Mexico and parts availability out of the equation.

No way Honda competes with Polaris ATVs. I haven't looked much lately, but Polaris crushed them for awesomeness of machines in the 00's into the mid-10's.

Now the Polaris RZR is the top dog as the world has realized SxS's are a whole lot better than ATVs.

[Edited on 4-22-2021 by JZ]

bajatrailrider - 4-20-2021 at 09:14 PM

Haha jz polaris top dog . Only on broken belts and parts no way reliable like Yamaha and Honda . Every sxs ride either the polaris or can am break take your pick . Just the facts

mtgoat666 - 4-20-2021 at 11:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
get ready to see people lose their minds;)....I'd take a long look at some of the Chinese brands! first of all they're a fraction of the cost, they're knock off's of the Japanese brands and many parts are interchangeable. the fact is there's a ton of crap that comes from China, and some quality chit also.

Buy cheap, buy twice!

Chinese!

Bajabus - 4-21-2021 at 08:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Buy cheap, buy twice!

Chinese!

Machines are like tools, buy the best you can, buy it once and keep the garbage out of our country. There are a lot of reasons to not buy Chinese, it's not just about quality.
Japan is a strategic partner worth supporting.

del mar - 4-21-2021 at 10:56 AM

damn all he wants is 3 ATV's.......:rolleyes:

Tioloco - 4-21-2021 at 01:26 PM

Good point. haha

Bajabus - 4-21-2021 at 02:05 PM

That was funny!

JZ - 4-21-2021 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Haha jz polaris top dog . Only on broken belts and parts no way reliable like Yamaha and Honda . Every sxs ride either the polaris or can am break take your pick . Just the facts

Ok my friend. I went and bought a RZR today.

Gonna come down and race you. I'll bring an extra belt.

[Edited on 4-22-2021 by JZ]

Bajabus - 4-21-2021 at 08:57 PM

Ok my friend. I went and bought a RZR today.

Gonna come down and race you.

How much did it cost you out the door?

bajatrailrider - 4-22-2021 at 08:44 AM

;) Jz by the time you replace the belt I will be long gone . Polaris has had more recalls then any sxs make made .

advrider - 4-22-2021 at 10:31 AM

I have a Polaris RZR 1000 and love it but my next will be the speed UTV by Roby Gordon, when they come out. Game changer for sure. I usually change my belts around 1k miles only because I don't like fixing crap on a ride. If you use low range when needed your belt will last.

bajatrailrider - 4-22-2021 at 02:16 PM

I got my Yxz 1000r 2019 model bought in same year. 30 miles on it . 16900.00

Bajabus - 4-22-2021 at 03:05 PM

Wait, so these side by sides use belts the way traditional engines use them to run alternators and other accessories, or they use belts for drive train engagement? Forgive me, i am a good mechanic but really know nothing about ATVs or side by sides.

Bajabus - 4-22-2021 at 03:08 PM

I got my Yxz 1000r 2019 model bought in same year. 30 miles on it . 16900.00

That seems expensive. Two Honda foremans are less and it seems more fun to zoom around on your own rather than be a terrified passenger sitting next to me.

bajatrailrider - 4-22-2021 at 04:46 PM

Sxs are super expensive the difference over a atv . There is none I have them all whole life on motos 4 wheel dirt anything. Did off road tours 30 years. For what you want atvs are perfect. Taking family on outings the most reliable I have ever seen but can't remember the model. Is Honda it maybe ex300 the engine is sideways. Another great one ex400 it's the one that uses xr400 dirt bike engine. Stay away from The water cooled ones that use. Dirt bike engines 250x and 450x. Moving up to a sxs is a world better . To just put around get the atv . have fun be safe.

pacificobob - 4-22-2021 at 06:20 PM

Sxs are super expensive the difference over a atv . There is none I have them all whole life on motos 4 wheel dirt anything. Did off road tours 30 years. For what you want atvs are perfect. Taking family on outings the most reliable I have ever seen but can't remember the model. Is Honda it maybe ex300 the engine is sideways. Another great one ex400 it's the one that uses xr400 dirt bike engine. Stay away from The water cooled ones that use. Dirt bike engines 250x and 450x. Moving up to a sxs is a world better . To just put around get the atv . have fun be safe.

ive had a couple ex400. i regret selling both of them . they are still dusting up the neighborhood years later. simple, bullet proof , easily to hot rod.

bajatrailrider - 4-22-2021 at 06:27 PM

At one time we had over 15 xr400s none blew up . Still have some super reliable. More then I can say for Honda 250x and 450x.

bajatrailrider - 4-22-2021 at 06:30 PM

I forgot to answer bajabus yes they use a rubber belt to drive it. The Yamaha has a 5 speed transmission with driveshaft .

Maderita - 4-22-2021 at 10:21 PM

...Taking family on outings the most reliable I have ever seen but can't remember the model. Is Honda it maybe ex300 the engine is sideways...

bajatrailrider,
I believe you are referring to the Honda TRX250EX and Recon 250 models, with the 229cc air-cooled longitudinally mounted engine. Longitudinally mounted due to having a driveshaft vs. chain.
The 300EX and 400EX have chain drive.

Maderita - 4-22-2021 at 10:47 PM

At one time we had over 15 xr400s none blew up . Still have some super reliable. More then I can say for Honda 250x and 450x.

bajatrailrider,
I'm not sure which models you are referring to. Short-cutting the model numbers renders them meaningless. Are you referring to the Honda TRX250EX (229cc) quad? I haven't experienced, nor heard of, any significant problems with that or the Recon 250 (same 229cc). That's one reason why I recommended them on page 2.
I have heard of some problems with the older XR250R (2-wheel dirtbike) engine (a different engine).

Where you wrote"450x" are you referring to the TRX450R, the liquid-cooled quad for racing and Glamis size dunes? JZ seems to love it. However, my impression is that the original poster wasn't inquiring about race-capable machines.

JZ - 4-22-2021 at 11:33 PM

bajatrailrider - 4-22-2021 at 11:38 PM

Yes the air cooled Honda atvs are the reliable ones. Water cooled 250/450 yes fast but not long lasting. If you want a water cooled atv again reliable the Yamaha 450. It uses the wr450 dirt bike engine. I don't have a brand I favor. I only know what falls apart fastest.

Bajabus - 4-23-2021 at 06:29 AM

This is all fantastic information, including the various snarks. I never thought it would grow to 2 pages. I was at the Cabo Home Depot yesterday and there was one of those sideways Honda engine quads parked by the outdoor cement area. It looked 20 years old and beat up to hell and back. The model numbers wore off long ago. Guy came out and it started right up, he zoomed off with loaded baskets. I smiled thinking about this thread.

Yes this is not for racing, just family fun in our area. Thanks again to everyone contributing suggestions and explanations for those suggestions.

pacificobob - 4-23-2021 at 06:30 AM

impressive stuff.

msteve1014 - 4-23-2021 at 11:40 AM

I am late to the party, but i have a 1986 honda foreman in baja for 13 years now. Soaked it in salt water many days. It will not die. You can not go wrong with a hoda.

Don Pisto - 4-23-2021 at 01:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
I am late to the party, but i have a 1986 honda foreman in baja for 13 years now. Soaked it in salt water many days. It will not die. You can not go wrong with a hoda.

if I HAD to choose I'd take Jenna;)

mtgoat666 - 4-23-2021 at 01:36 PM

Well, that certainly was weird. Jizzy listening to justin beiber woe-is-me song... weird to see a grown man being a belieber!

You went out on a date with your dog because your wife declined, eh?

[Edited on 4-23-2021 by mtgoat666]

advrider - 4-23-2021 at 02:00 PM

I've had the foremen and recon and never had a problem with either, 2wd will be cheaper if you don't need it?

elgatoloco - 4-23-2021 at 02:26 PM

Dude. Please start a new thread in the story forum. Even though I know the ending these need to be properly preserved and shared with all the newbies. IMEO. :cool::biggrin:

JZ - 4-23-2021 at 04:30 PM

Well, that certainly was weird. Jizzy listening to justin beiber woe-is-me song... weird to see a grown man being a belieber!

Maybe we'll meet up in Baja some day, and I'll take you on a nice, night-time ride down by the beach with the moon shimmering off the ocean. Doggie in the back and we'll play any music you like.

pacificobob - 4-24-2021 at 06:22 AM

goat, i would encourage a chaperone on that outing.

John Harper - 4-24-2021 at 06:27 AM

Sounds like a new sequel, maybe call it "Brokeback Baja?"

John

mtgoat666 - 4-24-2021 at 06:44 AM

Maybe we'll meet up in Baja some day, and I'll take you on a nice, night-time ride down by the beach with the moon shimmering off the ocean. Doggie in the back and we'll play any music you like.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

motoged - 4-24-2021 at 12:50 PM

Ya, but my best friend can drive....and not just sit there drooling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mu8iGVYU7k

Just cruising the 'hood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V25VDoY2Q5w

Off-roading with yer best friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q51uEsq4hhY

Hook - 4-24-2021 at 04:14 PM

I see people referring to a RECON by Honda. I have a RINCON by Honda. Is there also a RECON?

Maderita - 4-24-2021 at 07:12 PM

Yes.
https://offroadingpro.com/honda-recon-250/

[Edited on 4-25-2021 by Maderita]

[Edited on 4-25-2021 by Maderita]

Maderita - 4-24-2021 at 07:18 PM

For comparison to the Recon, here is the somewhat sportier TRX250EX (this photo is a 2006 model year). Same 229cc longitudinally mounted engine with shaft drive (no chain).

Lee - 4-24-2021 at 07:35 PM

Hook: My Rincon is a 650cc. Recon is smaller. I like the bigger engine.

advrider - 4-25-2021 at 08:09 AM

Ours was the smaller Recon 250 with the motor sitting sideways, it was the wiles bike. Our friends had the someone and had no problems as well, I sold mine to a friend and he's still running it. Any of the big brands are good, I just have a love for Hondas. Going back to the days of My Z-50 and XR75 days, just couldn't kill them.

bajatrailrider - 4-27-2021 at 07:23 AM

Having had all the air cooled Hondas. They are bullet proof sadly when Honda . Went to water cooled off road motos. Crf 250/450 they are made only to sell parts . All model brands have good and bad ones .

Hook - 4-28-2021 at 07:51 PM

My 2005 Rincon Four Trax with the 680cc engine is liquid cooled and I have never had a problem with it. Bought it used in 2010. Just a fluke?

It's pretty low tech compared to the newer units by many manufacturers that have four speeds (including a low range) and power steering.

But, honestly, even with a three speed, there is nothing I havent been able to climb with all that power from a 680cc engine.