BajaNomad

BOLA trailer camping recommendations

Mateo-Feo - 6-13-2021 at 12:49 PM

Hey there folks, I’m taking the family to the bay in July with our trailer(which has AC). I know it will be HOT and we may be at La Gringa part time and even prepared to grab a room somewhere for a day or 2. My question is do any of the spots where you can put an RV have power and/or water? Just thinking it would be nice to try an actual “campground” for a bit instead of dry camping the whole time. I have stayed at quite a few places in BOLA but never with an RV. Gracias

bkbend - 6-13-2021 at 05:05 PM

I don't think you'll find any 30 or 50 amp hookups capable of running an AC unit. Daggetts has a couple of sites with electricity but I would guess 15 or 20 amp. I think there's another place near Los Vientos hotel with electric hookups, don't know much about it or its name. I'd suspect any water available at a campground is town water and marginally potable. I've seen RV's filling up with drinking water at La Mision across from Guillermo's.

JZ - 6-13-2021 at 05:44 PM

Bring a generator.

Here is one that has a 30amp hook up. No idea on it's reliability, but it's very cheap. You'd have to do more investigations or just pay for a Honda.

https://www.etrailer.com/Generators/etrailer/333-0005.html

mtgoat666 - 6-13-2021 at 05:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Bring a generator.

Here is one that has a 30amp hook up. No idea on it's reliability, but it's very cheap. You'd have to do more investigations or just pay for a Honda.

https://www.etrailer.com/Generators/etrailer/333-0005.html

I hate generators at camp sites. If you bring a generator, please stay at least 1/4 mile away from people camping. Don’t be that a$$hat that makes noise pollution at camp sites.

If you can’t camp w/o AC, perhaps you should not be camping.

JZ - 6-13-2021 at 06:03 PM

I agree. Should be by yourself. 1/4 mile is probably over kill though.

Rent a 32 foot toy hauler here in LA a couple times a year. Love being able to fire up the onboard gen and have a cool nights sleep.

[Edited on 6-14-2021 by JZ]

Mateo-Feo - 6-13-2021 at 06:32 PM

I have a generator, but to not be the “ass hat” running the genny all the time was thinking of hooking up somewhere that would also provide a sense of security. I’m self sufficient just was inquiring in case dry camping gets old. It’s Bahia in July with 2 small children, I’m plenty prepared just looking for options.

[Edited on 6-14-2021 by Mateo-Feo]

David K - 6-13-2021 at 06:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  
I don't think you'll find any 30 or 50 amp hookups capable of running an AC unit. Daggetts has a couple of sites with electricity but I would guess 15 or 20 amp. I think there's another place near Los Vientos hotel with electric hookups, don't know much about it or its name.

La Ventana campground is next door.

bajarich - 6-14-2021 at 06:13 PM

I believe La Gringa is dry camping only unless it has changed in recent years.

thebajarunner - 6-16-2021 at 03:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
I believe La Gringa is dry camping only unless it has changed in recent years.

Very dry indeed
What you bring is what you have....

Alm - 6-16-2021 at 05:03 PM

I don't remember sites with 30A hookups at Daggets. Maybe he's built a couple lately, just didn't see it.

It will definitely p.iss off half of the camp if you bring a generator. At Daggets and other camps that I've seen there, you will be 15-20 ft away from your neighbor. Except for one camp immediately South of Archelon, the name escapes me - it's been abandoned, rarely anybody camps there, but there are also no washrooms.

Potable water in BOLA you have to buy in the Mission store, bring 5 gallon jugs and screw-on pump. Everything from the tap - where there is a tap on the camp - is good for washing dishes, not for cooking.