BajaNomad

From San Juanico to ??

aburruss - 6-15-2021 at 05:59 PM

The family and I will be in San Juanico for a bit, and plan on doing some exploring around the area. If you were to take some trips out of San Juanico, where would you go? We are fine with multi-day tips or single day round trips, but no camping on this one (4 kids and a dog). We will have a capable jeep and a UTV.

We're going to go to Mulege one day, maybe explore around Bahia de Concepcion... What's your "must do" or "must see" stuff in the area?

We will be there in june/july, so I certainly think that the weather on the SOC side may determine some of this.

Thanks in advance!!

elgatoloco - 6-15-2021 at 06:47 PM

Drive the loop into the mountains and see some great scenery and palms. I would go counterclockwise San Jose de Comundu , San Isidro and out via La Purisma. The first view of the Purisma palm groves from on high is memorable. That could be the route to and from Mulege or a separate day trip or......

Playa Requeson for a dip, splash, paddle, cool down or an overnite. Weather depending.

David K - 6-15-2021 at 08:22 PM

What Matt just said!
You are in the land of the old Jesuit missions. Closest to San Juanico is La Purísima, San José de Comondú, Guadalupe, Mulegé.

Feel free to ask for more details, maps, history...

RFClark - 6-15-2021 at 09:27 PM

You could go north to San Ignacio which has an old Church and Zocalo, huge palm groves and a large river flowing through them. The whales have left but Ignacio Lagoon is still neat. Not sure who’s there this time of year though.

JZ - 6-16-2021 at 12:16 AM

Run the purple route from Scorpion Bay to Mulege.

PM me if you want the KMZ track.

aburruss - 6-16-2021 at 07:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Run the purple route from Scorpion Bay to Mulege.

PM me if you want the KMZ track.

Yes. This is the route we plan to do. You sent it to me a while back. Thanks!!

aburruss - 6-16-2021 at 07:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Drive the loop into the mountains and see some great scenery and palms. I would go counterclockwise San Jose de Comundu , San Isidro and out via La Purisma. The first view of the Purisma palm groves from on high is memorable. That could be the route to and from Mulege or a separate day trip or......

Playa Requeson for a dip, splash, paddle, cool down or an overnite. Weather depending.

Thanks! Yes. The kids love Playa Requeson. It’s a must-stop each trip. Appreciate the great route idea too! Thanks

Don Jorge - 6-16-2021 at 03:49 PM

If you decide maybe Mulege will be too hot consider doing a Pacific Coast route.

Perhaps gringo bay, I mean Escorpions to San Ignacio to Abreojos to La Bocana to Asuncion to Tortuga?

Much cooler, decent hotels in all the places, might need to lower the expectations of decent at Tortuga and everywhere lots of places to bug out on the UTV. Did I mention, much cooler? Pretty sure the dog likes the idea.

If not then for sure go across through the oasis filled spinelands of nothern BCS. Stop somewhere that calls for a cold one in the shade of palms. Enjoy the moment, those water filled spots up there are just dandy.

Safe travels!

JZ - 6-17-2021 at 07:26 PM

For Steve5555, here are tracks and way-points for the area.

Attachment: Area Around Mulege.kmz (67kB)
This file has been downloaded 177 times

advrider - 6-17-2021 at 07:31 PM

We did a cool track last year on the bikes called Icehouse road, you go back North toward San Ignacio, then cut back over the mountains! Let me know if you want the track, you could make a loop with the one JZ posted. Several small ranches that sell cheese and homemade good on the route. It's part of the Baja divide route as well, they have some tracks you might like?

JZ - 6-17-2021 at 07:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
We did a cool track last year on the bikes called Icehouse road, you go back North toward San Ignacio, then cut back over the mountains! Let me know if you want the track, you could make a loop with the one JZ posted. Several small ranches that sell cheese and homemade good on the route. It's part of the Baja divide route as well, they have some tracks you might like?

Let's see it!

advrider - 6-17-2021 at 07:47 PM

I'll dig it up, it was an awesome ride. parts were a little tough on a 990 but a dirt bike would be fun.

AKgringo - 6-17-2021 at 07:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  

Are you talking about the Arroyo San Raymundo If so, did you head twards the mountains at Cadeje, or La Ballena?

There are quite a few nice roads to explore in that area, but what is fun for me might be torture for youngsters confined to the back seat!

Since the OP is not looking for a place to camp, I am coming up short trying to suggest a spot that will be a great playground, and close to lodging, other than the usual familiar places.

Edit; I just looked at the new Benchmark Atlas, and the Baja Divide route is indicated on the route heading east at La Ballena.

[Edited on 6-18-2021 by AKgringo]

BajaBlanca - 6-18-2021 at 10:33 PM

Definitely hit us up even though we won't be home! The hotel is being managed by our neighbor, Nacho. Go to La Bocana! and from us take a day trip to Punta Abreojos for breakfast at Juanita's (not to be missed) and then head north to Bahia Asuncion. All beautiful and cold in June July.

steve5555 - 7-24-2021 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
For Steve5555, here are tracks and way-points for the area.

Thanks!