BajaNomad

How to stay well/not get sick?

Janix - 7-13-2021 at 07:42 PM

I apologize if this is a re-post. I cannot find my original post.

Can anyone advise me on how to avoid getting sick in Calexico besides not drinking the water/no ice cubes?

thank you!
Janis

Don Pisto - 7-13-2021 at 07:47 PM

good news ice cubes are okay now!

Lee - 7-13-2021 at 07:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Janix  

Can anyone advise me on how to avoid getting sick in Calexico besides not drinking the water/no ice cubes?

thank you!
Janis

Be vaccinated, wear a mask, keep your distance, wear latex gloves, if you don't, wash hands couple times a day or use sanitizer after touching things, in between, don't touch your face, mouth, eyes. Avoid confined spaces and crowds. Eat take-out. No gurantees. Have fun.

Janix - 7-13-2021 at 08:06 PM

Thanks for your responses. I was not referring to COVID. I am already vaccinated and will still take all precautions. I was referring to how people sometimes get an upset stomach/sick from food/drinks there.
thanks

Ice and water

John M - 7-13-2021 at 08:27 PM

My advice based on what we found to be happening three weeks ago. You mentioned Calexico but figured you meant to write Mexicali.

Restaurants and bars use purified ice cubes so no worry.

Stay away from tap water for everything except shower & hand washing.

The "better" restaurants won't serve you water nor beverages you cannot drink. Most places will have bottled water as a choice (not free) if you are worried about it.

Many eating places in Mexicali you'll find the staff wearing masks, some will ask you to wear a mask and use hand sanitizer to enter.

We've not had any issues with other food, like salads.

That wasn't the case many years ago - back "then" we had a few stomach issues we thought was due to salad ingredients not properly cleaned.

Have fun and eat well.

John M

[Edited on 7-14-2021 by John M]

mtgoat666 - 7-13-2021 at 08:31 PM

thank you!
Janis

Calexico is in imperial county, California, USA. I think the city water is sanitary. Tap water and ice cubes should be fine.

Are you asking about mexico?
Normal travel precautions apply in mexico. That said, I don’t worry — just avoid drinking tap water. I don’t avoid ice cubes. Still alive!

Don Pisto - 7-13-2021 at 08:57 PM

like the old days never hurts to carry Pepto!

[Edited on 7-14-2021 by Don Pisto]

vandy - 7-13-2021 at 09:01 PM

Don't order salads in restaurants.

That being said, the only time I got bad food poisoning in Mexico was from a large hamburger at a beach bar in Quintana Roo.

azucena - 7-13-2021 at 09:19 PM

Main thing is to remember that there may be bacteria there your system is not a costumed to. Go easy on alcohol, and drink plenty of water.

Works both ways : people from Mexico often get an upset stomach coming to the US.
It is all about what your intestines are used to. I would not worry over much. Just be sensible.

Alm - 7-14-2021 at 09:54 AM

I was referring to how people sometimes get an upset stomach/sick from food/drinks there.
thanks

Same strategy as with Covid - stay away from people and services. Make your own meals. Carry a backpacking propane stove and non-perishables, buy fruits and veggies for salad and wash them thoroughly. Have never had problems making a quick dinner in a hotel room, not to mention on a camp. You don't know what they put in in there in restaurants and roadside stands. Carry Brita jug for filtering tap water or if there is enough space - 5 gallon water bottle, it can be refilled at RO station in most towns. I carry 12V portable fridge and Li battery when travelling in a car. In RV it's easier yet, there is a propane fridge. Carry a good cooler if you can't carry a fridge, brands like Yeti or RTIC keep it cool for more than 3 days.

Janix - 7-14-2021 at 10:24 AM

Thank you all for the tips. Including the funny ones :) I need to find out how to respond to individual posts, will look into it more after work.

I will be "sensible" hahaha and will not be eating out! I definitely meant Mexicali :-) thank you for interpreting my sleepy mistake.

4x4abc - 7-14-2021 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by azucena  
Main thing is to remember that there may be bacteria there your system is not a costumed to. Go easy on alcohol, and drink plenty of water.

Works both ways : people from Mexico often get an upset stomach coming to the US.
It is all about what your intestines are used to. I would not worry over much. Just be sensible.

the only relevant response

David K - 7-14-2021 at 11:55 AM

For the past 30 years, we only drink bottled water unless it's boiled. That is both at home or abroad. No reason to take a risk of getting sick on a trip, anywhere. Beer is safe, too!

pacificobob - 7-14-2021 at 12:17 PM

i have become sick after returning to the US after >1 year in Mexico

pauldavidmena - 7-14-2021 at 03:08 PM

We drink only bottled water when we visit BCS (Todos Santos and El Pescadero). The same applies to brushing our teeth, and making ice.

We prepare a lot of our own meals - particularly breakfast. Vegetables (i.e anything not cooked or fried) should be thoroughly washed, and often times a better equipped rental will provide a disinfectant spray for lettuce, etc., which would then be rinsed thoroughly before use. Perhaps we've been overly cautious, but neither my wife nor I have ever gotten sick in nearly 10 years of visiting Mexico.

Alm - 7-14-2021 at 03:22 PM

David, boiling water from the tap only kills microorganisms, it doesn't get rid of chemicals and other impurities. It needs to be filtered first.

Subj: don't know why Mexicali has suddenly become important. For most people this is a brief stop at the border and/or a night in a hotel and then you're on your way. Whatever precautions you'll take in Mexicali will make sense for the rest of Mexico as well.

If you can't trust the cooks and don't want to make your own meals - not much can be done. Use RO water or bottled water, avoid public washrooms, go easy on alcohol and other things that can mess up your metabolism. I would avoid public anything, vaccines apparently protect poorly against Delta.

pacificobob - 7-14-2021 at 04:51 PM

I'm waiting for gnuboi to chime in. he is after all very knowledgeable on public health issues. perhaps endorsing fresh air?

SFandH - 7-14-2021 at 05:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
...vaccines apparently protect poorly against Delta.

Where'd you see that information? I was under the impression that Pfizer and Moderna, at least, are pretty effective, with the others not so much.

But I haven't seen any new data on that for a few weeks...

News stories are starting to pop up about fully vaccinated people getting COVID. The delta mutation seems to be breaking through mRNA defenses. Sicknesses are milder if vaccinated, so far......

https://news.google.com/search?for=fully+vaccinated+getting+...

willardguy - 7-14-2021 at 05:14 PM

sooo....boil your water,eat a papaya,don't eat street food,don't go near public facilities,cook in your hotel room, buy a Yeti, my favorite "go easy on the alcohol"and number 1 Janik.......don't ever ever vacation with a Nomad!

food & covid

John M - 7-14-2021 at 05:24 PM

Geez Alm, sounds as though you'd be a lot of fun to go on a Baja trip with....You really do as you write? Approach eating as you would Covid? is that your real message? John M

Same strategy as with Covid - stay away from people and services. Make your own meals. Carry a backpacking propane stove and non-perishables, buy fruits and veggies for salad and wash them thoroughly. Have never had problems making a quick dinner in a hotel room, not to mention on a camp. You don't know what they put in in there in restaurants and roadside stands. Carry Brita jug for filtering tap water or if there is enough space - 5 gallon water bottle, it can be refilled at RO station in most towns. I carry 12V portable fridge and Li battery when travelling in a car. In RV it's easier yet, there is a propane fridge. Carry a good cooler if you can't carry a fridge, brands like Yeti or RTIC keep it cool for more than 3 days.

msteve1014 - 7-14-2021 at 07:00 PM

I got sick one time on a trip in Baja. I had pupusas in So. Cal the day before. Bad move.

aburruss - 7-14-2021 at 07:14 PM

And plenty of people get sick from random food establishments in the US as well.

I use tap water in baja for brushing teeth, washing dishes, etc. Haven't had any issues (yet). I do drink bottled water, or get gallons refilled from the local purificada. Gallon jugs of water are easy, so just do that and be done with it?

I've never had any issues with ice either.

mtgoat666 - 7-14-2021 at 07:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

I only added the boiling comment because I use tap water (here in San Diego County) to make coffee (Keurig machine), but might use our Sparklets bottled water for that, too?

Most bottled water service in San Diego does not have sufficient hardness and alkalinity to make good coffee.
Try making coffee from your sparklets and tap water, and do taste test.
I prefer using tap water or mix of tap and bottled.
Good coffee requires some calcium/magnesium for extraction.

Is Kuerig even coffee? I think it is mostly chemical flavoring, and nescafe, isn’t it?

willardguy - 7-14-2021 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I only added the boiling comment because I use tap water (here in San Diego County) to make coffee (Keurig machine), but might use our Sparklets bottled water for that, too?

Most bottled water service in San Diego does not have sufficient hardness and alkalinity to make good coffee.

Is Kuerig even coffee? I think it is mostly chemical flavoring, and nescafe, isn’t it?

:lol:..do you really think ANYONE buys into the chit that comes out of your mouth? whats wrong with you?:?:

Janix - 7-14-2021 at 09:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
David, boiling water from the tap only kills microorganisms, it doesn't get rid of chemicals and other impurities. It needs to be filtered first.

Subj: don't know why Mexicali has suddenly become important. For most people this is a brief stop at the border and/or a night in a hotel and then you're on your way. Whatever precautions you'll take in Mexicali will make sense for the rest of Mexico as well.

If you can't trust the cooks and don't want to make your own meals - not much can be done. Use RO water or bottled water, avoid public washrooms, go easy on alcohol and other things that can mess up your metabolism. I would avoid public anything, vaccines apparently protect poorly against Delta.

Well personally, Mexicali is important to me as it's the meeting point to unite with a mexican friend. I have not visited Mexico in over 20 years so this forum is helpful.

Janix - 7-14-2021 at 09:54 PM

I agree, we can get sick anywhere. I just think it's a good idea to ask for tips from those who have experience traveling to the country I am going to.

[Edited on 7-15-2021 by Janix]

Janix - 7-14-2021 at 09:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
My advice based on what we found to be happening three weeks ago. You mentioned Calexico but figured you meant to write Mexicali.

Restaurants and bars use purified ice cubes so no worry.

Stay away from tap water for everything except shower & hand washing.

The "better" restaurants won't serve you water nor beverages you cannot drink. Most places will have bottled water as a choice (not free) if you are worried about it.

Many eating places in Mexicali you'll find the staff wearing masks, some will ask you to wear a mask and use hand sanitizer to enter.

We've not had any issues with other food, like salads.

That wasn't the case many years ago - back "then" we had a few stomach issues we thought was due to salad ingredients not properly cleaned.

Have fun and eat well.

John M

Thanks so much for your helpful reply, I appreciate it. I was definitely planning on taking my own water, not eating out and being careful in all ways.

[Edited on 7-14-2021 by John M]

4x4abc - 7-14-2021 at 11:01 PM

so far the advice has been from folks who avoid everything
seems to work
I have been around the world a few times.
and make it a point to drink/eat anything anywhere
works - i have never gotten sick

your immune system likes a little training before fighting something big
the only thing that ever knocked me down hard was Malaria in Senegal
drinking bottled water doesn't prevent that

I now have diarrhea several times a year because of severe air pollution in La Paz
no solution in sight (I don't want to move again)

dirty La Paz pollution.jpg - 46kB

motoged - 7-15-2021 at 12:45 AM

Well personally, Mexicali is important to me as it's the meeting point to unite with a mexican friend. I have not visited Mexico in over 20 years so this forum is helpful.

What advice did your Mexican friend offer?

David K - 7-15-2021 at 08:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Is this just being stupid or do you not know what a Keurig device is?
I asked Google if you were correct:

>>>The short answer is no, K-cups are not made with instant coffee. K-Cups contain finely-ground coffee with a filter inside, sealed by tinfoil to keep the coffee inside even after use. Most regular coffee in the K-cup pods is made with Arabica beans, which is the most popular coffee bean on the market.<<<

Also, in order to lesson the impact on our land fills, I do not use the disposable K-cups. Instead, I have a reusable K-cup 'basket' that I put my ground Kona (Hawaiian) or Blue Mountain (Jamaican) coffee in.

Janix - 7-15-2021 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

What advice did your Mexican friend offer?

I'm still trying to navigate the format of this forum, so be nice to me :-)

The Mexican friend who I'm meeting has very little experience travelling. She just suggested I do what feels most comfortable so that I feel good. It felt more helpful for me to speak with others who don't actually live there, but travel there, as that's my situation.

Janix - 7-15-2021 at 09:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
so far the advice has been from folks who avoid everything
seems to work
I have been around the world a few times.
and make it a point to drink/eat anything anywhere
works - i have never gotten sick

your immune system likes a little training before fighting something big
the only thing that ever knocked me down hard was Malaria in Senegal
drinking bottled water doesn't prevent that

I now have diarrhea several times a year because of severe air pollution in La Paz
no solution in sight (I don't want to move again)

Your response is very inspiring, thank you. I tend to be an anxious traveler as I have not done much of it since staying home to raise kids on my own. I'm just starting to see the glimmer of some freedom on the horizon so I'm starting to take short road trips until I have more freedom. Thanks!

motoged - 7-15-2021 at 11:05 AM

I'm still trying to navigate the format of this forum, so be nice to me :-)

The Mexican friend who I'm meeting has very little experience travelling. She just suggested I do what feels most comfortable so that I feel good. It felt more helpful for me to speak with others who don't actually live there, but travel there, as that's my situation.

Trying to be nice :saint:

Starting to adventure out in the world beyond the comforts and constraints of "home" is so good for the soul. Many of us have our unique styles of anxiety ... and I believe adventuring and travelling tend to make for good medicine as we conquer those challenges.

"Trust your gut" is often good advice.....but having the squirts in a foreign place takes the charm out of that saying. ;)

Over the years, my travels in Mexico and Central America have given me about a half-dozen experiences of really bad intestinal experiences: poorly cooked hamburger once, bad coleslaw at a roasted chicken place, carnitas at the end of the day, and a liter of fresh orange juice that sat in a hot car for a day. I tend to enjoy street food stands/carts whenever I can....

Drugs such as Lomotil should only be taken if the squirts last for more than 2 days as they stop the peristaltic intestinal movement and keeps the bad bacteria inside (as was mentioned previously)....

Eat at restaurants that tend to be preferred by locals... and carry a full roll of toilet paper in your purse/bag as it may not exist in public washrooms

Some say "It's a crap shoot" :biggrin:

mtgoat666 - 7-15-2021 at 12:18 PM

Only got the hershey squirts twice in baja. First time was from eating at El Palomar in Santo Tomas. Second time was in La Paz (could not figure out what restaurant gave me that one).

I have got hershey squirts at a number of restaurants in San Diego.

Does not matter the country, loose chit happens!

SFandH - 7-15-2021 at 12:30 PM

I always have some Imodium AD (loperamide) with me. Works for me.

Janix, welcome to the forum!

AKgringo - 7-15-2021 at 01:10 PM

And congratulations...Your very first post is going to run for pages of replies!

I'll bet you weren't expecting this turn toward a fecal forum? :o

pauldavidmena - 7-15-2021 at 01:49 PM

My only experience with food poisoning happened at my workplace - specifically a DOE lab in Schenectady, NY. I usually brown-bagged a sandwich for lunch, but I decided to "treat" myself to crab salad at the cafeteria. It didn't taste half bad, but the following day I was doubled over in pain. Dozens of co-workers had the same meal without issues. Maybe their long-term exposure to on-site nukes provided them with some sort of immunity. :O

BajaMama - 7-16-2021 at 06:06 AM

Cooked food should be okay, when I was younger the old adage regarding produce was "if you can't peel it, don't eat it." I don't have trouble with anything anymore in Mexico but if you have a sensitive tummy you may want to be careful. Maybe get some local yogurt to balance your gut bacteria.

Janix - 7-18-2021 at 06:39 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses! I kind of did expect it to turn in that direction :-)

I'm taking mostly my own foods as I'm too scared to get food poisoning.
I researched which items you can and can't take into Mexico :D

motoged - 7-18-2021 at 06:53 PM

Maybe staying home would be less stressful. You seem to be over-reacting to your fear.

Janix - 7-18-2021 at 07:11 PM

Maybe staying home would be less stressful. You seem to be over-reacting to your fear.

Over reacting to my fear? hmm...I am fearful yes, but over reacting to my fears is not accurate.I am an anxious person and I have not traveled in a long time as I raised my kids on my own. I am trying to do new things.

Janix - 7-18-2021 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
...as I raised my kids on my own.
For someone who succeeded in raising a batch of kids on your own, Mexico should be a piece of cake... :lol:

Damn, you make a very good point. Thanks! I'm a confident, experienced, strong mother and a fearful, anxious, out of practice traveler. Thanks for the reminder that I am actually strong and resilient.

Bajazly - 7-18-2021 at 09:53 PM

You will be fine. The actual on the ground experiences will be light years different than the imagined ones in you head. Go, have a good time and don't let anxiety get the best of you.

If you find yourself in San Felipe, 100 miles south of Mexicali, and have issues, drop me a line, I know the town well and am always around.

motoged - 7-19-2021 at 01:30 AM

I am trying to do new things.

Well then, you're gonna love fish and/or shrimp tacos ! :light:

Can't say you've been to Baja without standing by a street cart or small stand with a taco dripping down your wrist :biggrin:

JZ - 7-19-2021 at 02:04 AM

Over reacting to my fear? hmm...I am fearful yes, but over reacting to my fears is not accurate.I am an anxious person and I have not traveled in a long time as I raised my kids on my own. I am trying to do new things.

Have fun. Come back and start a thread and tell us how you made out.

Skipjack Joe - 7-19-2021 at 09:37 AM

Carry bottled water in your vehicle. I live in Baja 6 months out of the year and cook everything with bottled water. When eating out you are at greater risk from food that doesn't get cooked well. Last year I got the 'squirts' from ceviche sold by one vendor but no problem from others. Ceviche in Mexico is usually marinated for less than an hour.

There are different levels of getting 'sick'. In most cases there's just a lot of growling of growling and farting for a day or two and not much else.

[Edited on 7-19-2021 by Skipjack Joe]

pacificobob - 7-19-2021 at 09:47 AM

having 5 gallons of clean water with you can also be handy for other uses.
1st aid [cleaning wounds] , and helping motorists who have leaking/damaged cooling systems.

BajaTed - 7-19-2021 at 10:37 AM

Always eat a roasted hot pepper with any street food.
Its a Ying & Yang thing that works for me.

del mar - 7-19-2021 at 11:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

and squeeze those limes:yes:

pacificobob - 7-19-2021 at 12:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

and squeeze those limes:yes:

i am of the opinion that citrus juice goes a long ways towards preventing nasty bacteria cultures getting a foothold in the GI tract. a small change in PH can make the difference.

[Edited on 7-19-2021 by pacificobob]

Janix - 7-19-2021 at 07:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
You will be fine. The actual on the ground experiences will be light years different than the imagined ones in you head. Go, have a good time and don't let anxiety get the best of you.

If you find yourself in San Felipe, 100 miles south of Mexicali, and have issues, drop me a line, I know the town well and am always around.

thanks ever so much!

pacificobob - 7-20-2021 at 09:40 AM

my thoughts as well. why do something voluntarily that results in acute anxiety.

Janix - 7-23-2021 at 12:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

my thoughts as well. why do something voluntarily that results in acute anxiety.

1) Because I have suffered from anxiety my whole life and if you avoid doing things because you're scared, your world becomes VERY small, very quickly. I chose to voluntarily do it because I want to continue to have more life experiences. Perhaps for those who don't get anxiety that is hard to understand, I don't know. If I avoided everything that makes me anxious I'd always stay home.

2) I also wanted to spend time with my dear friend who is unable to cross the US border because she does not have a passport or visitors visa yet.

I think those are 2 excellent reasons to push through the fear, personally :)

Janix - 7-23-2021 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Carry bottled water in your vehicle. I live in Baja 6 months out of the year and cook everything with bottled water. When eating out you are at greater risk from food that doesn't get cooked well. Last year I got the 'squirts' from ceviche sold by one vendor but no problem from others. Ceviche in Mexico is usually marinated for less than an hour.

There are different levels of getting 'sick'. In most cases there's just a lot of growling of growling and farting for a day or two and not much else.

[Edited on 7-19-2021 by Skipjack Joe]

It was very interesting to see all of the Chinese restaurants! I googled it and learned about how so many Chinese moved there for various reasons. I was surprised. Thanks for your input!

JDCanuck - 7-23-2021 at 04:32 PM

We still take Ducoral every couple years and there is a probiotic drink we found useful in little white bottles available in Chedraui stores. Worked for me (i think)a few years back when a friend and I both ate the same salads and he refused to try it as he was a seasoned traveler. He was always running off to the next washroom for the last couple days.

[Edited on 7-24-2021 by JDCanuck]

Janix - 7-23-2021 at 11:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
We still take Ducoral every couple years and there is a probiotic drink we found useful in little white bottles available in Chedraui stores. Worked for me (i think)a few years back when a friend and I both ate the same salads and he refused to try it as he was a seasoned traveler. He was always running off to the next washroom for the last couple days.

oh man, it's not something I ever want to deal with when I'm on the road. I imagine probiotic pills are great for these kind of trips. I have never heard of Ducoral. Thanks for sharing

JDCanuck - 7-24-2021 at 07:03 AM

Sorry i misspelled it. Dukoral is an anti cholera oral vaccine available in Canada without prescription that is commonly taken before traveling and prevents the symptoms caused by some e-coli contaminants in water and food. Boosters required every couple years.
https://dukoralcanada.com/

Prebiotic drinks

JDCanuck - 7-24-2021 at 07:46 AM

I think the Chedraui bottled drink was based on the traditional Tepache drink so common in Mexico. Very tasty lightly fermented white in color and sold commonly at small stands where we bought tacos etc. Apparently it has been made in Mexico since pre Spanish days and can be made at home if you have the free time. Best thirst quenching drink we found down there on our travels.

motoged - 7-24-2021 at 08:52 AM

We still take Ducoral

Ducarol was useless when battling end-of-the-day carnitas in Michoacan.... :O

JDCanuck - 7-24-2021 at 09:23 AM

Personally, have never had a problem in Mexico or the US, but can't say the same with some of the local chile's. Amazing how fast that stuff can hit you.

BajaTed - 7-24-2021 at 09:42 AM

Baja homeopathic approach is to eat a street taco and a roasted pepper. Alternate biters of each, its not complicated.

Transitioning to fear & terror and fight or flight mode on occasion is a boost for your total physiology too, see you at the racetrack:bounce:

Acquired immunity

AKgringo - 7-24-2021 at 09:49 AM

I grew up in Grass Valley, California, and the water supply to our neighborhood was untreated. It was gravity fed from one of the open ditches that were built to supply miners, and ranchers.

The winter rains sometimes caused us to have muddy water on tap! The rains also would shut down my dad's logging operations, so our family of six spent two winters in Manzanillo, in the state of Colima.

Other Canadians and Americans we met down there had to be very careful about where and what they ate and drank, but not us! It wasn't perfect immunity, my older brother got pretty sick once, but the rest of us pretty much breezed through both trips.

Don Pisto - 7-24-2021 at 09:53 AM

Put a lime in the coconut and drink 'em bot' together
Put the lime in the coconut, then you'll feel better.
Put the lime in the coconut, drink 'em both down,
Put the lime in your coconut, and call me in the morning,

Janix - 7-24-2021 at 06:02 PM

Sorry i misspelled it. Dukoral is an anti cholera oral vaccine available in Canada without prescription that is commonly taken before traveling and prevents the symptoms caused by some e-coli contaminants in water and food. Boosters required every couple years.
https://dukoralcanada.com/

That sounds great. Thanks for sharing the info,
Janis

Janix - 7-24-2021 at 06:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I grew up in Grass Valley, California, and the water supply to our neighborhood was untreated. It was gravity fed from one of the open ditches that were built to supply miners, and ranchers.

The winter rains sometimes caused us to have muddy water on tap! The rains also would shut down my dad's logging operations, so our family of six spent two winters in Manzanillo, in the state of Colima.

Other Canadians and Americans we met down there had to be very careful about where and what they ate and drank, but not us! It wasn't perfect immunity, my older brother got pretty sick once, but the rest of us pretty much breezed through both trips.

wow, that must have been an interesting experience!

motoged - 7-25-2021 at 05:52 PM

I lived in a tipi by a creek in the wilds of BC in 1975 for 6 months and drank water unboiled from the creek. About 6 weeks into the stay, I hiked upstream a bit further than previously and discovered an active cow pasture straddling the creek ...:wow:

Never had an intestinal issue. I guess diluted cow effluent taken daily is good medicine :biggrin: