BajaNomad

Solo Motorcycle Ride to Cabo

Bwk94510 - 7-24-2021 at 08:02 PM

Hello all - I’m contemplating a solo motorcycle ride from San Francisco CA to Cabo sometime next spring. I’ve been to Mexico a number of times but always fly. Im building a house in Cabo and want to bring an Adventure bike (KTM 390) down to leave there so I have it to ride when I’m staying there. My next plan is a road trip with my teenage son to bring a car down but first wanted to start with riding my motorcycle down for a little mid-life adventure (l’m 54 so a little late for mid-life ;) My parents used to drive down to Cabo every year in the 1970’s - camping on the beaches along the way. My plan is to stay in motel/hotels for the comfort factor. But otherwise want to take 5 nights to get from the boarder to Cabo so I’ll have time to check out the towns / sights along the way.

Love to hear anyone’s thoughts on my idea. Especially interested to hear perspective of those who have ridden motorcycles in Baja. Open to any tips / ideas. I’ve read many of the posted over the last couple years in the forum.

Thanks!

motoged - 7-24-2021 at 10:14 PM

Keep the top of your tank full, get a room by 4, eat fish tacos, and wait for a ton of opinions and maps. :coolup:

mtgoat666 - 7-24-2021 at 11:17 PM

Don’t ask questions. Just do it.
My first trips to Mexico, we just went for it, no guidebook or internet, just a road map.

If you need your hand held, plenty of therapists here will hold your hand.

[Edited on 7-25-2021 by mtgoat666]

JZ - 7-25-2021 at 01:11 AM

Go for it on the bike.

We are about the same age. Did about a dozen trips from the border to La Paz with my two teenage boys over the last 4-5 years.

You definitely want to do some planning for your road trip with your kid, and not fly by everything.

You and your son are going to have some wicked fun.

amigobaja - 7-25-2021 at 08:57 AM

Done it many times solo. From san fran i would ride mex one. Once you get past San Quiten the twisties are really fun. Imo five days are not enough. To many cool places and things to see. From experience watch out for the goats between Concepcion Bay and Loreto.

pacificobob - 7-25-2021 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Keep the top of your tank full, get a room by 4, eat fish tacos, and wait for a ton of opinions and maps. :coolup:

the above is solid council. I've ridden the length of the peninsula a dozen times. you'll have a great time.....oh, let me be the first to say it...don't ride after dark.

Don Pisto - 7-25-2021 at 11:01 AM

honestly I'd put the Duke on the truck bed and enjoy the roadtrip with your son:P

Bwk94510 - 7-25-2021 at 12:31 PM

Thanks everyone- really appreciate all your thoughts and encouragement! For me - half the fun is planning and this is helpful to have a resource like this so thank you. I’ll try to stretch the the time I have to add a couple extra days.

I see one it’s for highway 1 down. I was thinking of going on the SofC side on 5. Any reason to do one over the other? I’ve read the 5 is newer road and nicer for the ride.

surfhat - 7-25-2021 at 12:59 PM

Be sure and have secure storage for that bike you are leaving behind, as in out of sight and out of mind, as not to tempt the few who may admire your moto more than you wish.

Building a secure garage of sorts should be a primary consideration for the stuff you will be bringing down.

As for the 5 or the 1 highway, I am a dinosaur and prefer the Pacific side for the incredible landscapes south of El Rosario and the Valle de Cirios would be much missed, besides the cooler temps off the Pacific Ocean.

To each his own. You might save a couple of hours on the 5, if that is of any value. For me, it is not and never has been.

Not driving at night is to be avoided on either route, as many others advise here. Plan ahead and enjoy the daytime scenery. Take your time to smell the desert roses, of sorts.

JZ - 7-25-2021 at 01:23 PM

We take the 5 about 80% of the time. But on a bike and being the first time you might want to take the 1.

Benefits of the 5:

- avoids TJ, Mexicali is much easier to deal with, TJ can be stressful
- avoids all the small towns and stop and go traffic on the 1
- avoids the curvy, mountainous section of the 1 after El Rosario, however on a bike this will be a fun section

Weather is a lot cooler on the 1, so that can be a factor on a bike depending on the time of year. Some good views of the Pacific too.

At the end I choose the 5 because I feel like I'm in Baja much sooner and can relax. After you clear Mexicali, you are in a very sparsely populated place.

[Edited on 7-25-2021 by JZ]

El Jefe - 7-25-2021 at 01:30 PM

I agree with Surfhat. Take Hwy 1 for the scenery. Besides, you can split lanes through the traffic on the south end of Ensenada and Maneadero.

I've driven to Cabo so many times and have always thought it would be so much more fun on the moto! Good for you! And with building a place you'll have plenty of opportunities to drive the truck down 5 with supplies.

Where is your place in Cabo going to be? We are out near La Fortuna.

Bwk94510 - 7-25-2021 at 02:41 PM

Thanks. We’re building a house on the Pacific side - development called Copala which is in the master community of Quivira. I’ll leave my motorcycle in my carport but locked to a pole. The development is gated with 24 hour security. I could also put it behind a gate alongside the house - I might do that. Then it’s out of sight.

I’m tempted to take 5 over 1 because I’d prefer to miss TJ and like the idea of seeing older Baja with smaller towns instead of the big cities.

El Jefe - 7-25-2021 at 02:57 PM

Then cross at Tecate and take the road through wine country to Ensenada, then south from there. We've done that many times. It is beautiful.

willardguy - 7-25-2021 at 03:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
Then cross at Tecate and take the road through wine country to Ensenada, then south from there. We've done that many times. It is beautiful.

xlnt advice! and keep in mind you're not going to see any quaint old baja type towns along the 5, pretty much a gringo enclave from san felipe to gonzaga bay. also as much as folks rave about the scenery (and rightfully so) its only the stretch between puertecitos and gonzaga bay thats special. have a great trip!

AKgringo - 7-25-2021 at 03:08 PM

If you want to see "Older Baja", an overnight in the center of Mulege is about as close as you will get! It has changed less than any other Baja town I am familiar with.

Hopefully there will not be an elevated level of covid infections by the time you make your run.

I agree with taking hwy 5. I prefer wide open spaces over the stop and go through all the small communities on the pacific side. You really need to do both routes when you can, they both have their good and less good qualities!

El Jefe gives good advice!

JZ - 7-25-2021 at 03:27 PM

That is a pretty good suggestion.

[Edited on 7-25-2021 by JZ]

motoged - 7-25-2021 at 05:09 PM

... Besides, you can split lanes through the traffic on the south end of Ensenada and Maneadero.

With all due respect, I believe lane-splitting is very dangerous at any time in any place... (other drivers don't expect it and can get angry with the surprise)....and riding a bike in those places is dangerous at the best of times due to a lot of poor drivers. The small amount of time gained is not worth the risk for me. Hotshots like it because it's cool to fight the flow.... or so they think. Adolescent riders seem to do it more than experienced riders.

Others will disagree, but I don't do it.....have been riding since 1976 and am a good rider.... but for sure it's your call.

Bwk94510 - 7-25-2021 at 05:28 PM

Just looked at this - looks like a great route - thanks….doesn’t hurt that I like to drink wine 🍷!

Don Pisto - 7-25-2021 at 05:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bwk94510  

Just looked at this - looks like a great route - thanks….doesn’t hurt that I like to drink wine 🍷!

BRAAAP.....hic;)

Chup - 7-25-2021 at 07:48 PM

Hello all - I’m contemplating a solo motorcycle ride from San Francisco CA to Cabo sometime next spring. I’ve been to Mexico a number of times but always fly. Im building a house in Cabo and want to bring an Adventure bike (KTM 390) down to leave there so I have it to ride when I’m staying there. My next plan is a road trip with my teenage son to bring a car down but first wanted to start with riding my motorcycle down for a little mid-life adventure (l’m 54 so a little late for mid-life ;) My parents used to drive down to Cabo every year in the 1970’s - camping on the beaches along the way. My plan is to stay in motel/hotels for the comfort factor. But otherwise want to take 5 nights to get from the boarder to Cabo so I’ll have time to check out the towns / sights along the way.

Love to hear anyone’s thoughts on my idea. Especially interested to hear perspective of those who have ridden motorcycles in Baja. Open to any tips / ideas. I’ve read many of the posted over the last couple years in the forum.

Thanks!

Sounds like a fun trip. But, that bike won't be a true "adventure" bike. Its #380 wet. Then you and your riding gear. Doesn't leave too much for carrying anything beyond a backpack/rack with limited options for tent/etc IF that's what you are thinking about.

Otherwise, if it's just you and some minor carry alongs on the bike, and you stay on the "road" you should be fine.

Cheers

Bwk94510 - 7-25-2021 at 08:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Chup  

Thanks!

Sounds like a fun trip. But, that bike won't be a true "adventure" bike. Its #380 wet. Then you and your riding gear. Doesn't leave too much for carrying anything beyond a backpack/rack with limited options for tent/etc IF that's what you are thinking about.

Otherwise, if it's just you and some minor carry alongs on the bike, and you stay on the "road" you should be fine.

Cheers

My plan is to stay in hotel/motels - so no camping gear needed. I ride an R6 and was looking for an adventure bike that I can leave at my house in Mexico / something that’s easy/fun to ride and doesn’t break the bank. But also off-road capable - at least for the Mexican roads and some beach/dirt time. What would you suggest as a better bike that meets those objectives?

Thanks.

motoged - 7-25-2021 at 08:28 PM

"Adventure" bike is unfortunately a marketing term. Adventure riding is an attitude which can be operationalized on ANY moto.

Ride wut you brung :coolup:

Bwk94510 - 7-25-2021 at 08:29 PM

"Adventure" bike is unfortunately a marketing term. Adventure riding is an attitude which can be operationalized on ANY moto.

Well said 👍👍

AKgringo - 7-25-2021 at 08:41 PM

Well said 👍👍

You should do it like Motged did once....make some guy in a Kia follow you along the way with a gas can, ice chest and a change of clothes when you need it!

motoged - 7-25-2021 at 08:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Well said 👍👍

You should do it like Motged did once....make some guy in a Kia follow you along the way with a gas can, ice chest and a change of clothes when you need it!

But make sure the Kia driver is crazy/bold enough ro drive through a 3 foot deep watercrossing, get momentarily high-centered on a boulder in there before grunting his way to the soft sand track on the other side .... he also needs to have a dog that looks like a maneater but behaves like a kitten. ;)

AKgringo - 7-25-2021 at 08:55 PM

If the timing works right, I am willing to be a chase vehicle again, Oh, and the dog has filled out a bit since that trip!

JDCanuck - 7-26-2021 at 11:02 AM

My plan is to stay in hotel/motels - so no camping gear needed. I ride an R6 and was looking for an adventure bike that I can leave at my house in Mexico / something that’s easy/fun to ride and doesn’t break the bank. But also off-road capable - at least for the Mexican roads and some beach/dirt time. What would you suggest as a better bike that meets those objectives?

Thanks. [/rquote]

I too have been giving this some thought. I intend to bring down an older not too pretty motorbike and alter it a bit to meet my needs when I'm down there. As I have an older kz440 ltd I am leaning towards that. Swapping out the seat for a flatter one to give me a bit more height and the knobbiest tires i can get on it should work. Those old Japanese twins are pretty robust and easy to maintain without all the modern bells and whistles. From my experience with the roads down there, speed is not an issue.

If you wanna be extremely adventurous, several friends of mine bought new Honda 150 or 175's in Santiago Chile, rode them with full camping gear down to Tierra Del Fuego and returned up here to Canada with them without any major issues. A bit small for that use for my tastes.

[Edited on 7-26-2021 by JDCanuck]

[Edited on 7-26-2021 by JDCanuck]

pacificobob - 7-26-2021 at 11:09 AM

i have a '02 DRZ400 that has >20k Mexican miles on it. it has been rock solid reliable for nearly 20 years. buy a large fuel tank and go!

Mexican Italika's

JDCanuck - 7-26-2021 at 11:54 AM

Anyone here have any experience with the Italika Adventure bikes? I think the size i saw down there was 250cc equipped with metal side bags. Seemed like a decent size/weight and might be better than the hassles with importing. The (I think it was a 185) off road style looked a bit too lightweight.

bajatrailrider - 7-26-2021 at 01:40 PM

They drive them flat out in Baja 24/7 would I nooo. Too boring and slow for mis adventure bike

John Harper - 7-26-2021 at 01:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i have a '02 DRZ400 that has >20k Mexican miles on it. it has been rock solid reliable for nearly 20 years. buy a large fuel tank and go!

And make sure to get rid of the stock fuel petc-ck. Unless you want a crankcase full of gas. The vacuum petc-cks on those bikes are a big point of failure. I've seen a lot DRZ400s the last couple years, as a buddy buys and sells them on CL and I fix them for him. Other than that, very solid bikes not hard to work on.

John

[Edited on 7-26-2021 by John Harper]

pacificobob - 7-26-2021 at 02:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

And make sure to get rid of the stock fuel petc-ck. Unless you want a crankcase full of gas. The vacuum petc-cks on those bikes are a big point of failure. I've seen a lot DRZ400s the last couple years, as a buddy buys and sells them on CL and I fix them for him. Other than that, very solid bikes not hard to work on.

John

good point john. i believe i used a fuel valve from a Yamaha. i still keep it closed when it not running.

John Harper - 7-26-2021 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

good point john. i believe i used a fuel valve from a Yamaha. i still keep it closed when it not running.

Yes, that's what we've been using as well. Great bikes for sure!

John

bajatrailrider - 7-26-2021 at 03:04 PM

Drz is great bike super reliable witch I can say not like other newer bikes .

pacificobob - 7-26-2021 at 03:26 PM

DRZs are frequently available on san Diego craigslist.

Don Pisto - 7-26-2021 at 03:42 PM

so the plan is to ride the R6 down and then look for beater to just dick around on?

advrider - 7-26-2021 at 06:22 PM

Point South, gas and go....

bajatrailrider - 7-26-2021 at 06:36 PM

From what I understand yes reliable but not great off road .

steve5555 - 7-26-2021 at 06:48 PM

If you haven't already, you might want to check out "adventure rider" forum. Plenty of trip reports with pics and advice. You might see some pictures of places or routes that strikes your fancy. I think a key decision point is how much dirt do you plan to do on the way down? Remember the heat. I did the length of Baja in ~late April on a KTm 990. WE had planned to do a bunch of dirt side excursions but just found it to be too hot. Not much shade in Baha. If we pulled over to rest we started to sweat to death. Anyway, in the end the heat dictated that we largely slabbed and hauled butt straight to Cabo. It was an unusually hot April. For me, being able to go Hwy5 has been a game changer. I hate all of that traffic, congestion, and traffic lights over on the pacific side.

Steve

steve5555 - 7-26-2021 at 06:55 PM

I owned a DRZ from new to about 10K miles. It was great! Reliable, cheap, electric start, and water cooled. The thought of riding one the length baja on that skinny seat gives me an aching butt and aching lower back. I think it would be perfect once you got down there though.

These are fun discussions.

Steve

Bwk94510 - 7-26-2021 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by steve5555  
If you haven't already, you might want to check out "adventure rider" forum. Plenty of trip reports with pics and advice. You might see some pictures of places or routes that strikes your fancy. I think a key decision point is how much dirt do you plan to do on the way down? Remember the heat. I did the length of Baja in ~late April on a KTm 990. WE had planned to do a bunch of dirt side excursions but just found it to be too hot. Not much shade in Baha. If we pulled over to rest we started to sweat to death. Anyway, in the end the heat dictated that we largely slabbed and hauled butt straight to Cabo. It was an unusually hot April. For me, being able to go Hwy5 has been a game changer. I hate all of that traffic, congestion, and traffic lights over on the pacific side.

Steve

Thanks Steve - good point on the heat. Since I’ll be solo I was planning to limit my dirt to side trips to the beach down dirt roads. I’m thinking I’ll shoot for late Feb - March/April because y house won’t be done until December and then the holidays. I’m pretty set on taking 5 - but now added wine country detour based on some suggestions here. I’ve also been reading Adventure Rider forum - very helpful.

I’m test riding the KTM 390 and 890 tomorrow - leaning to the 390 but want to try to 890 also. I like the price and maneuverability of the smaller bike. But also know a 1,500 mile ride on a small cc bike will have its own challenges.

steve5555 - 7-26-2021 at 07:08 PM

For me and if I wanted a "kick around" bike down in Baja to ride into town or explore near my house I would think of smaller than full sized bike - so that it is ridiculously easy riding. For me and a full sized bike I feel like putting on all the gear- helmets, knee pads, boot, elbow pads, etc. However, on something like one of those new Honda 125 trails I would feel confident enough to hop on hop off without much preparation. Or a CRF 230F. This is a personal decision I know.

If you were going to leave the bike down there for long periods it would be nice to have fuel injection. It is more resilient to gas that has been sitting in the tank...

[Edited on 7-27-2021 by steve5555]

JZ - 7-26-2021 at 07:19 PM

Steve

Thanks Steve - good point on the heat. Since I’ll be solo I was planning to limit my dirt to side trips to the beach down dirt roads. I’m thinking I’ll shoot for late Feb - March/April because y house won’t be done until December and then the holidays. I’m pretty set on taking 5 - but now added wine country detour based on some suggestions here. I’ve also been reading Adventure Rider forum - very helpful.

I’m test riding the KTM 390 and 890 tomorrow - leaning to the 390 but want to try to 890 also. I like the price and maneuverability of the smaller bike. But also know a 1,500 mile ride on a small cc bike will have its own challenges.

We have ridden offroad a ton in Early April. Weather is perfect for it.

I can give you a dozen tracks for riding from the hwy to the ocean. Some through really fun canyons. I'll post a couple tomorrow.

Watch this to see some of them:
https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Bwk94510 - 7-26-2021 at 07:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Steve

We have ridden offroad a ton in Early April. Weather is perfect for it.

I can give you a dozen tracks for riding from the hwy to the ocean. Some through really fun canyons. I'll post a couple tomorrow.

Watch this to see some of them:
https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Great- thank you!

Bwk94510 - 7-27-2021 at 05:36 AM

Steve

This !!

Tacobul - 7-27-2021 at 10:08 AM

Well said.

motoged - 7-27-2021 at 10:21 AM

For me and if I wanted a "kick around" bike down in Baja to ride into town or explore near my house I would think of smaller than full sized bike - so that it is ridiculously easy riding. For me and a full sized bike I feel like putting on all the gear- helmets, knee pads, boot, elbow pads, etc. However, on something like one of those new Honda 125 trails I would feel confident enough to hop on hop off without much preparation. Or a CRF 230F. This is a personal decision I know.

If you were going to leave the bike down there for long periods it would be nice to have fuel injection. It is more resilient to gas that has been sitting in the tank...

[Edited on 7-27-2021 by steve5555]

Fuel injection is NOT a good choice over carbed bike....fuel pump/filter issues are known problems in this regard. Stale gas is stale gas....dirt in fuel is easier to remedy than a fuel pump out back.

390 vs 800 cc's: two separate worlds.....ATGATT is a question to consider..... crashing or getting hit by vehicle hurts the same on both displacements (HD riders ruin their tatts sliding down the road in their wife-beaters in shreds)

Is OP buying a bike for one ride down or many rides in area?

Riding skill becomes the issue: experienced riders know which tool to pick for the job.

JZ - 7-27-2021 at 10:28 AM

If you plan to do much off roading with it beyond this trip I'd definitely go with the smaller bike.

Baja Sur has an endless number of trails for you to explore.

Bwk94510 - 7-27-2021 at 10:30 AM

If you plan to do much off roading with it beyond this trip I'd definitely go with the smaller bike.

Thanks everyone- I’m leaning toward the smaller option for all the same reasons mentioned here. I like the idea of something easier to ride off road. Plus lower prices - about half - make it an easier option to leave in Mexico.

Hwy 1 to San Basillo

JZ - 7-27-2021 at 06:11 PM

San Basillo is a top 10 most beautiful bay on the Sea of Cortez. It is located about 27 miles by water North of Loreto.

Difficultly is 1.5. A few rocks and a tiny bit of sand.

The turn off from Hwy 1 is roughly 28 miles from Loreto. You have to go through a check point. After the turn off it is 11 miles down a jeep trail to the bay. The spot with the pin named "canyon" is really, really cool.

They have roped off the beach the last several years, so you can't drive out on it. You can still walk it, and I think camp. Some of the best white sand you will see in Baja. The water is very shallow in parts. The bay itself is massive with a lot of interesting rock formations. If you go by truck bring a kayak or paddle board.

We have raced back from the beach to the hwy at night on bikes more than a few times.

Easy day trip from Loreto.

[Edited on 7-28-2021 by JZ]

Bwk94510 - 7-27-2021 at 06:38 PM

This is perfect - very helpful and exactly what I’m looking for. Thank you!

Is the beach a good spot for camping? Or is this more of a day-adventure trip?

Thanks again - I really appreciate your help.

JZ - 7-27-2021 at 06:51 PM

This is perfect - very helpful and exactly what I’m looking for. Thank you!

Is the beach a good spot for camping? Or is this more of a day-adventure trip?

Thanks again - I really appreciate your help.

Ugh, I meant to copy my Agua Verde post and instead I edited it while doing the San Basillo one. Will re-post.

Yes, you can camp on the beach at AV for sure. Very safe and wide open.

Bwk94510 - 7-27-2021 at 06:57 PM

Just found it on Google maps and marked the restaurant where the turn off of 1 is - El Parguito and then the two restaurants at the end of the road on the beach. Looks ideal for my trip - thanks again. Definitely will be one of my camp out nights - with the luxury of eating at a restaurant instead of cooking! That’s my plan - stay at hotels or camp near food and drinks!

Ciudad Consiticion to San Evarsito

JZ - 7-27-2021 at 07:34 PM

This is a sweet canyon ride down to the ocean. A little longer and more involved than other rides, but still relatively easy. San Evarsito is a good sized fishing village in a big, well protected bay.

Difficultly is 2. A few rocks, a little sand.

The most direct turn off from Hwy 1 towards the bay is at the South end of Constitucion. There are several back roads that lead to the main trail. After the turn off it about 75 miles down a truck trail to the bay. The beginning 20-30 miles have some pavement and is flat and fast.

A beautiful canyon drive, where you will go past a mission (San Luis Gonzaga), many ranches, and an impressive church (La Soledad). San Evarsito itself isn't spectacular, the ride is however.

At San Evaristo you will find a restaurant, primitive place to stay, and camping on the beach. You can also pay a panga about $100 for the day to take you out to Isla San Fransisco and Isla San Jose. This is HIGHLY recommenced. Beautiful beaches and bays.

From there you can go back towards Hwy 1 the same way you came, or branch off and head more South (better if you are heading South). But the best ride is to do the 2-3hr dirt trail along the coast into La Paz. This is a very easy and special ride. Top 5 coastal rides in Baja. Top 2 or 3 on the Sea of Cortez. More to come on that.

Bwk94510 - 7-27-2021 at 08:39 PM

Thank you. How did you find all of these rides- word of mouth or is there a website that lists them? Do you use a gps when you ride these?

San Juan de Los Planes to Los Barriles

JZ - 7-27-2021 at 09:03 PM

This is the number 1 coastal ride in Baja in my opinion. Once you hit the coast, all the way down to Los Barriles is just gorgeous. Really stunning, with lots of pretty colored sand beaches. The ride is fairly short. After you get to the dirt it is only 28 miles to Los Barriles. That said, it is a little bit of a harder ride.

Difficultly is 2.5 on a bike, 2.5-3 in the truck (especially a full sized truck). However, only 6-7 miles of it is difficult, the canyon to the ocean and then a couple miles down the coast where you go from the coast inland a few times. This beginning section has lots of rocks, some some-what steep grades, and a narrow trail overall. After that, the longer stretch along the coast is very easy.

San Juan de Los Planes is 42 miles from La Paz. That's where the dirt starts. It is flat and smooth for about 2-3 miles and then gets into the canyon. A challenging little 3.5mile section to the ocean. I've only had 3 flat tires on my truck ever in Baja, and 2 of them have happened on this trail. One rock blew out the side-wall.

The last 20 miles into Los Barriles are easy-peasy, with lots of great places to stop and get out on the beach and water. On a lot of it you are riding on a trail that is elevated above the ocean. Very, very scenic.

If you want to cheat and see the best spots without doing the challenging parts, just start at LB and go North for 20 or so miles. Then return.

Windy road through the pass.

JZ - 7-27-2021 at 09:22 PM

Thank you. How did you find all of these rides- word of mouth or is there a website that lists them? Do you use a gps when you ride these?

Got them all from here. Lots of help from Nomads on the tracks. Especially TMW, DK, AdvRider, 4x4abc, Douglas, PaulW and many others. There is like 20 years of history on this board.

Most of the time I got the general idea of a trail (i.e. studying DK's maps or TMW's Google Earth screen shots) and sometimes I got tracks. Then I plotted tracks using Google Earth, zooming in and following the trail. These are all big wide trails I'm talking about, it's pretty easy to trace them. Spent 100's of hours doing it as a hobby.

From 2015 to 2019 we did about 20 one to two week trips, my two teenage boys and 3-4 Mexican friends. We did about 80% of our riding in Baja Sur and 20% around the Seven Sisters. Almost all truck trails. We always had a support truck for the rides, carrying beer, ice, food, and gas.

I have KMZ's (GPS format used by Google) for most of Baja Sur. Use Back Country Navigator as my GPS app on the bike and in the truck. I've downloaded high-res satellite imagery for all of Baja to our phones and tablets. It's like 100G of data, but gives you Google Earth like resolution without needing an internet connection.

I can send you specific tracks for trails if you want them. Just PM me.

Bwk94510 - 7-27-2021 at 09:34 PM

Thank you JZ. Really appreciate your help

JDCanuck - 7-27-2021 at 11:08 PM

I agree with this idea. If you are used mainly to riding a street bike like myself and transitioning to off road, I'd keep the weight down to the point you feel confident hitting the gas when you get in trouble. The three tours we had where someone got in trouble and hit the ditch were all caused by the riders' being intimidated by the weight of their bikes. Just my inexperienced opinion of course. And by the way...USAmerican hospitals and ambulance services are outstanding! Mexican...not so sure.

[Edited on 7-28-2021 by JDCanuck]

Coco's Corner (orginal location) to Hwy1 via Calamajue Canyon

JZ - 7-27-2021 at 11:48 PM

Calamajue Canyon

This one is in Baja California Norte (BCN). If you come down Hwy 5 it is a fun side trip. Before Coco's Corner moved after Hwy 5 was completed, the original Coco's sat at the fork of the Hwy 5 dirt road to Hwy 1 and the entry point to Calamajue Canyon.

Difficultly is 1.5-2. My youngest rode it at age 12. Harder for a truck. I've never taken my full sized truck down it and not sure I could. Easy in a Jeep.

From old Coco's it is about 27 miles to Hwy 1.

This is the area that Hwy 5 and Hwy 1 meet up. For some reason Hwy 5 isn't showing up on Google Earth as a road in yellow. But Hwy 5 hits Hwy 1 at Chapala. The canyon run comes out about 11 or 17 miles South of Chapala depending on which fork you take at the end.

Added DK's map to give more prospective.

DR650

JDCanuck - 7-28-2021 at 12:11 AM

I will mention one more bike favored by friends up here: the Suzuki DR650. Very commonly seen in the Yukon and here in BC Canada. Seat Height, overall weight, durability and expense seem to be what they like about it. I think it's actually a bit cheaper than the DRZ400's locally as well. One warning on the Vstrom DL650's as they stated they had to shut the engines off on very steep downhills as the ABS sped them up too much. No idea how the DRZ400 ABS works.

motoged - 7-28-2021 at 03:22 AM

Most bikes, if not all, with ABS have a function to turn ABS off for when you want to be able to lock up rear wheel. Engaged ABS system won't speed you up....rather, it slows you down slowly....and not quickly enough on loose surfaces.

I believe last year was the last year they made the DR650. Good bike for the job...a bit heavy for fun in sand, but workhorses and good platform for rough travel tripping.

[Edited on 7-28-2021 by motoged]

JDCanuck - 7-28-2021 at 08:46 AM

Most bikes, if not all, with ABS have a function to turn ABS off for when you want to be able to lock up rear wheel. Engaged ABS system won't speed you up....rather, it slows you down slowly....and not quickly enough on loose surfaces.

Yes, I agree on both points. It could be Vstroms as well have corrected this one issue since then but in their case all 3 reported the same issue as the trail they were on was exceedingly steep. In any case the four people i know that switched to the DR have been happy with their choices as they do a lot of steep mountain trails yet. Lower seat height seems to be an additional plus on the 650. We may be getting old and fixed in our ways and just reluctant to try out new things. Only one of my BMW's has ABS so I remain having to do my own feathering. Early BMW ABS also proved somewhat problematic as well and people in our group have had very costly and concerning failures when the systems went down.

[Edited on 7-28-2021 by JDCanuck]

[Edited on 7-29-2021 by BajaNomad]

bajatrailrider - 7-28-2021 at 08:48 AM

:bounce: a bit heavy in sand yes more like crash every foot 🤗👍

Calamajue Canyon route

AKgringo - 7-28-2021 at 09:05 AM

I have driven it several times, and it is an interesting side trip! It has frequently been used as part of the Baja 1k route, so is accessible to most race support vehicles.

Having said that, I do not recommend it for a solo biker. It gets frequent, but not daily use, so if you have a problem you may be on your own for a while!

I had no need to check for a cell phone signal in the canyon, but I would be very surprised if there was any coverage!

[Edited on 7-28-2021 by AKgringo]

JDCanuck - 7-28-2021 at 09:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

I will lay out my present bikes and ask for advice . I am 68 and not aging well, reflexes not what they once were, balance isssues keep me from doing anything more than minimal offroading. I have generally done a couple 7000 km 95% highway rides each year til Covid hit. I want to take two of these bikes down to the Baja for local short trips to the food store and into La Paz 58 km away, 8km washboardy sand rest paved, whats recommended?
1987 BMW r80 RT (Gentlemans BMW according to Bruno) 50 hp 500 or so lb.
1987 BMW K75 75 hp non ABS also around 500 lb
1991 low seat K75 ABS I think around 550 lb
1982 KZ440 ltd 31 hp
2008? bws 50cc 2-stroke scooter
I was thinking the K75 1987 or the KZ440 ltd and the BWS

David K - 7-28-2021 at 09:26 AM

Drove through Calamajué Canyon last in Sept. 2016... It was easy, low water level (as it was in 2012, the previous time I drove it). Other drives were in 2002, 1979, 1975, 1974, 1967. This was the route of 'Mexico #5' before 1983, when a graded road was built from Laguna Chapala north.

Your two points of interest are at the north end, where the road drops down into the arroyo:

At the top, before it drops down, on the left, is the ruins of the Molino de Calamajué. This was Dick Daggett Sr.'s gold ore mill.

Down at the bottom of the grade, in the arroyo, take the faint track to the left, across the arroyo, and up a short grade to the site of the short-lived, 1766-1767 mission. Only adobe outlines of the church and other buildings remain. When the wheat crops wouldn't grow in the heavily mineralized water, the mission was moved north and renamed Santa María.

Canyon view.

Gold Mill ruins from early 1900s.

Grade down to arroyo.

Mission ruins (note grade down, across arroyo)

In the canyon, very little water this time... has been a foot deep before.

del mar - 7-28-2021 at 09:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

I will lay out my present bikes and ask for advice . I am 68 and not aging well, reflexes not what they once were, balance isssues keep me from doing anything more than minimal offroading. I have generally done a couple 7000 km 95% highway rides each year til Covid hit. I want to take two of these bikes down to the Baja for local short trips to the food store and into La Paz 58 km away, 8km washboardy sand rest paved, whats recommended?
1987 BMW r80 RT (Gentlemans BMW according to Bruno) 50 hp 500 or so lb.
1987 BMW K75 75 hp non ABS also around 500 lb
1991 low seat K75 ABS I think around 550 lb
1982 KZ440 ltd 31 hp
2008? bws 50cc 2-stroke scooter
I was thinking the K75 1987 or the KZ440 ltd and the BWS

SxS.......with age comes the cage!;)

pacificobob - 7-28-2021 at 03:13 PM

with age? ....i would submit, allowing yourself TO age is the culprit.
70y/o, and riding both on and off road. two wheels are all i require.

bajatrailrider - 7-28-2021 at 09:25 PM

Sxs with age comes the cage :D most 20 year olds can't ride a dirt bike. I'm same age as JD dirt biking right now. With Baja nomad Ed Hall I do have a sxs but for ladies to drive . As copilot when they drive my one hand on shut off switch. Other on emergency brake handle. All your bikes good JD but not in dirt .

JZ - 7-28-2021 at 10:22 PM

I do have a sxs but for ladies to drive . As copilot when they drive my one hand on shut off switch. Other on emergency brake handle. All your bikes good JD but not in dirt .

SxS is also for riding with the doggies.

bajatrailrider - 7-29-2021 at 05:28 AM

Yes agreed my dogs love riding in sxs all good

JDCanuck - 7-29-2021 at 08:45 AM

Sxs with age comes the cage :D most 20 year olds can't ride a dirt bike. I'm same age as JD dirt biking right now. With Baja nomad Ed Hall I do have a sxs but for ladies to drive . As copilot when they drive my one hand on shut off switch. Other on emergency brake handle. All your bikes good JD but not in dirt .

LOL...yeah i figured that age comment might get some responses. I will get the KZ440ltd adapted as best I can i think, it being the most flipable and easiest for me to handle of the bunch. It also has the advantage of being the least pretty and should be relatively safe left unattended in La Paz. I hate to say this on the age thing, but in our group we have a lot of very senior older than I ex pro GP and motocross racers, who would I think impress some of the younger riders here. I am not one them and stick to my modest riding style. As far as the SXS goes, we will likely have one of those as well for my wife as she has never been willing to ride pillion.

Maderita - 7-29-2021 at 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

...she has never been willing to ride pillion.

Thanks for the new word. I had to look that one up.
pillion: A pillion is a secondary pad, cushion, or seat behind the main seat or saddle on a horse, motorcycle, bicycle or moped. A passenger in this seat is said to "ride pillion". The word is derived from the Scottish Gaelic for "little rug", pillean, from the Latin pellis, "animal skin". One or more pelts often were used as a secondary seat ...

JZ - 7-29-2021 at 10:11 PM

Here is another example of one of the canyon rides to the ocean.

This one is Timbabichi. It's about a 55 mile ride. Search the site for Timbabichi and you will find several interesting threads on it.

Difficulty is a 2-2.5. Pretty easy overall. Very easy for 90% of it.

[Edited on 7-30-2021 by JZ]

John Harper - 7-30-2021 at 04:57 AM

I've only seen "pillion" used in conjunction with Harley down here. The passenger pad I bought for my Sportster was listed as a "pillion pad" by the company. I had not heard it either, at the time. That was back in 1990.

John

pacificobob - 7-30-2021 at 09:51 AM

pillion is a term way more commonly used in the UK and former British colonies

[Edited on 7-30-2021 by pacificobob]

David K - 7-30-2021 at 09:57 AM

pillion is a term way more commonly used in the UK and former British colonies

[Edited on 7-30-2021 by pacificobob]

Sort of like a 'fortnight' being their common term for two weeks?
I lived in Australia fifty-one years ago and remember a few! Lift = elevator, tin = can (solid, edible contents... otherwise it was in a can). Boot = car trunk, etc.

Some sand tips ...

motoged - 7-30-2021 at 12:13 PM

Not just "tip-overs": a half hour video of desert riding for a street rider new to sand/desert riding. Simpson desert, Australia is one of those "peaks" to be bagged by desert adventurers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQwFYLkpPgs

The heavier the bike, the more challenge. Riding Baja on a BMW R80 GS and later a R1100 GS taught me the lesson of "the right tool" for the job, so I got into dirtbiking in 2001....

4 strokes are the bike of choice for Baja in my opinion for many reasons.

A bigger tank than stock if you are going more than putt down to the beach is recommended.... tires with thicker sidewalls are less prone to punctures but are more difficult to remove from rim if you need to fix a flat. These days serious riders are using mousse in tires , but higher speeds on pavement melt some brands. I use Slime in my tires and it has worked when needed (tube-type Slime is different than regular Slime as it has more fibrous material).

It's also good to learn proper/effective techniques for picking up a bike once dropped (guy in vid above hasn't learned that yet):

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+pick+up+motorcycle&rlz=1CAHJUL_enCA870CA870&oq=how+to+pick+up+motorcycle&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l 9.7933j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_jU4EYcisBtSp0PEPsNOI4AY15

NOT a good idea to ride a bike anywhere if you can't pick it up by yourself :light:

[Edited on 7-30-2021 by motoged]

motoged - 7-30-2021 at 12:29 PM

That's a fair portion of the planet.

In the US there is the Harley Davidson culture. They like the T-shirt with the saying on the back "If you can read this, the b*tch fell off".

Cultural differences ..... "eh!" :biggrin:

motoged - 7-30-2021 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
"If you can read this, the b*tch fell off".

Get enough ethanol into your bloodstream and you, too, will see the humor in such profundities. :saint:

Oh, it had its moment of humour :biggrin:

eastmeetswest - 8-4-2021 at 04:37 PM

And don't forget to leave a bunch of time for the last leg of the trip from Los Barriles down the East Cape road to San Jose. So many spectacular beaches and the cute little town of Cabo Pulmo. Lunch and a beer at new favourite sushi place Zai. The fish is straight out of the ocean fresh and the presentation is spectacular. You can pull right on to the beach in many spots on that 50 km section of dirt road.

BajaNomad - 8-4-2021 at 05:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eastmeetswest  
Lunch and a beer at new favourite sushi place Zai. The fish is straight out of the ocean fresh and the presentation is spectacular.

Thursday through Sunday.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/zai-sushi-los-cabos

IndianDave - 1-4-2024 at 10:42 AM

Hi everyone I’m new to this site and I just came across this posting about traveling to Cabo and buying a house down there or in La Paz. I inboxed the originator of this topic and hoping to hear from him. I also want to ride down there and wanted to ask if anyone has any plans of riding down there this year 2024 ? I live in LA and I’ve done Rosarito, Tecate, Guadalaupe and Ensenada a few times on my Victory bagger and love it. Please hit me up with any info. Thanks in advance. David