BajaNomad

Who would you call in Baja to come and help you when you are stuck?

JZ - 9-20-2021 at 12:33 AM

I know there are several fans of Matt's Off Road Recovery on here. Wouldn't it be nice if this guy was in Baja to help us?

David K - 9-20-2021 at 07:26 AM

One reason I and so many Nomads drive a Toyota... because getting help is not always an option!

mtgoat666 - 9-20-2021 at 07:45 AM

I generally do not get stuck. And I maintain my vehicle. Can’t remember last time I needed a tow…

I suppose if I ever need a tow I would find someone to tow me.

dravnx - 9-20-2021 at 08:06 AM

I'm a fan of Matt's and have watched a bunch of his videos. 90% of the people he pulls out shouldn't be allowed to operate a can opener.

nbentley1 - 9-20-2021 at 08:31 AM

Interesting to note that a few vehicle insurance policies you can purchase for Baja offer up to $1000 US roadside assistance / towing.

PaulW - 9-20-2021 at 08:57 AM

In my inreach I have contacts for my travels in Baja as well as my travels in Colorado. My contacts are known for helping friends.
Also there are Jeep clubs as well as other clubs with contact emails that can be used.
Of course Matt's Off Road while widely reviewed only does his deeds in a limited area near his shop. Not much help anywhere else.

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
I know there are several fans of Matt's Off Road Recovery on here. Wouldn't it be nice if this guy was in Baja to help us?

JZ - 9-20-2021 at 09:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
In my inreach I have contacts for my travels in Baja as well as my travels in Colorado. My contacts are known for helping friends.
Also there are Jeep clubs as well as other clubs with contact emails that can be used.
Of course Matt's Off Road while widely reviewed only does his deeds in a limited area near his shop. Not much help anywhere else.

That is a great plan. I have saved the contact info for a few mechanics and stuff that have been posted on here. Will have to start doing it more.

I don't know how far Matt will go, but a few hundred miles for sure. Just watched an episode where he rescued a couple stuck in very deep mud with a camper. The were stranded for 2-3 days and several other companies told them they couldn't come. Matt drove all night to help them.

PaulW - 9-20-2021 at 09:28 AM

In Colorado just about every small town has a tow truck service. Usually someone will call the sheriff or drive to some place with cell service and the forest service ranger will show up with a radio and get the tow truck to show up. The tow truck guys have a pretty good business for these recovery deals.
In Baja the tow truck guy is available in certain locations if you know how to make contact. If far away from help then plan on spending overnight before some one misses you and sends out a search party.
My broken truck in Matomi buried in the sand took two days to get back to San Felipe, but only after I located a guy with a loader to tow the thing to the highway. We had blankets, food, water, and tools for our stay. That is when I decided to get an inreach.

PaulW - 9-20-2021 at 09:39 AM

Big business on the trails around Moab and Matt does not deal with them because the off-road shops in town do the recovery and most often just a cell phone call will get help if you have the guy's number. Otherwise wait for a helpful passerby or the Ranger for help. Many times a passerby has tools or straps to take care of the problem. Lots of roaders in that area so help is always nearby.

Howard - 9-20-2021 at 10:31 AM

Just out of curiosity, what would be the charge for that rescue in the video? I assume it is how far they have to come but what is a ball park figure?

David K - 9-20-2021 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
In Colorado just about every small town has a tow truck service. Usually someone will call the sheriff or drive to some place with cell service and the forest service ranger will show up with a radio and get the tow truck to show up. The tow truck guys have a pretty good business for these recovery deals.
In Baja the tow truck guy is available in certain locations if you know how to make contact. If far away from help then plan on spending overnight before some one misses you and sends out a search party.
My broken truck in Matomi buried in the sand took two days to get back to San Felipe, but only after I located a guy with a loader to tow the thing to the highway. We had blankets, food, water, and tools for our stay. That is when I decided to get an inreach.

You were great to help a Nomad in Matomi wash a few years ago, too!:light:

nbentley1 - 9-20-2021 at 11:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by nbentley1  
...purchase for Baja offer up to $1000 US roadside assistance / towing.

How strange.

Beyond *why* that is, wonder how a Mexican company arranges the details on the U.S. side... :?:

Arrange the tow from mex, keep the receipt and file the claim once state side. I did it earlier this year. Took a while to come through but they paid up eventually

4x4abc - 9-20-2021 at 11:27 AM

Mexicali has a 4x4 SOS group as well as La Paz
helpful people in San Felipe, but not organized yet

https://www.facebook.com/groups/647737528725432

https://www.facebook.com/ClubSOS4X4/

Don Pisto - 9-20-2021 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Mexicali has a 4x4 SOS group as well as La Paz
helpful people in San Felipe, but not organized yet

https://www.facebook.com/groups/647737528725432

https://www.facebook.com/ClubSOS4X4/

wrong shoes for the job!:yes:

TMW - 9-20-2021 at 12:52 PM

I have a few friends that know Baja really well. If I send a Need Help on my spot they would check with each other then one or more would come. Probably now is a good time to update the list and cover the procedures.

By the way not Baja but Death Valley. The tow service at Furnace Creek will not go off road to get you. The tow service at Independence will and they are AAA.

willardguy - 9-20-2021 at 12:53 PM

I'd call Robby Gordon! of course then we'd both be stuck! just kiddin RG, we love you:D

shari - 9-20-2021 at 12:56 PM

Everyone who lives or travels alot in Baja should have a helper or fixer when things go awry. Best to have that contact who knows who to call for emergencies in the area where you are.

I have people throughout Baja who I can call when things go wrong. I always give my number to guests traveling to our area in case something happens, I can call a contact to get the appropriate help.

Here in Asuncion when people get stuck, they call me and I offer suggestions how to get out and if they are dug in deep I ask them to call me in half an hour if someone hasnt come by to pull them out...most of the time somebody helps them get unstuck!

geoffff - 9-20-2021 at 03:20 PM

I lean hard on my ability to Mcguyver things when they break, my ability to backpack a couple days out to pavement if needed (thankful for my health, and haven't had to use this option yet), and if I'm incapacitated I have a Garmin Inreach (or a sat phone) and a subscription to BEMCC https://www.binationalemergency.org/

David K - 9-20-2021 at 03:39 PM

As Geoffff, Pappy Jon, Mike Younghusband, etc. know... I am happy to relay your inReach or Spot device help messages, sent to me, on to Nomads or friends of yours. We will get it figured out so you are not without assistance!

While I was driving all over Baja alone doing the guide and map research for Baja Bound, several amigos here were following me because I had a DeLorme (now Garmin) inReach device. We could also exchange messages, sometimes almost instantly. It was a relief! My wife and I could also communicate.

There isn't enough good that can be said about the inReach Explorer I had with me on those trips!

aburruss - 9-20-2021 at 04:20 PM

Does it make sense to put together a "region by region" contact list for us nomads?

Friends of DavidK, 4x4abc, JZ, PaulW, Stucksucks, mtgoat666(even though we know he never goes to baja.. hahah! jk) etc, etc, etc,..

People that we actually KNOW down there that would be good resources for any of us when we run into problems, are stuck, are broken, etc? I think that would be a fantastic use of our combined resources!

[Edited on 9-20-2021 by aburruss]

freediverbrian - 9-20-2021 at 07:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
One reason I and so many Nomads drive a Toyota... because getting help is not always an option!

The suv being towed is a Lexus Toyotas big brother.

Maderita - 9-20-2021 at 07:46 PM

This info applies to the state of Baja California, not BCS. In recent years, BC changed their emergency phone number to "911". There is protocol to have an English speaking dispatcher on duty.

The emergency radio channel for FRS (family Radio Service, such as Motorola Talkabouts) is Channel 7, subchannel 7 for communication with air and ground rescue at/near the site.

When in northern BC, here are lists of emergency numbers.

The "Rescate Aguiluchos" rescue team handles a lot of situations in the northern desert and mountains (Laguna Salada, Sierra de Juarez). The Bomberos firefighter/rescue are also doing a lot. Equipment and training for technical situations has improved in recent years.

The Office of Civil Protection (Protección Civil) is instrumental in coordinating larger, more complex, search & rescue operations and can arrange for a military air rescue helicopter.
http://www.proteccioncivilbc.gob.mx/
https://proteccioncivil.tijuana.gob.mx/
https://www.facebook.com/dmpctj/

aburruss - 9-20-2021 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  

Great info!!!

BajaMama - 9-21-2021 at 05:25 AM

I love the idea of community resources to contact assistance.

Max Trax are good, too :). So is reverse. I have seen peeps refuse to use that gear when it is the best option.

pacificobob - 9-21-2021 at 06:51 AM

Man-up, get out the shovel and start working.
That said i have taken some long hikes after breaking something in some lonesome country

PaulW - 9-21-2021 at 06:52 AM

None of the great contacts that Maderita posted are functional without phone service. Having said that I will save and print the phone list just in case .
What is needed is an email address that can be used on your satelite tracker using either the new SPOT and most models of Inreach.
There needs to be two lists
1) For real emergencies that need medical attention
2) For general help like broken rig or stuck in the sand.
The only email for real emergencies (list #1) I have in my Inreach is the for Hwy 1 to Guerrero negro
They respond to emergencies, but NOT general help like stuck in the sand or vehicle breakdown.
Desert Falcons DesertHawks info@halconesdeldesierto.org
Antonio Baja Cactus info@bajacactus.com

What is needed for other places is an email list of Nomad volunteers

Who will volunteer to make the lists and allow the rest of us to get a U2U private message to carry with us or input into the contact list on our trackers.

For list #2
For San Felipe during the winter months from Mexicali to way south I can contact at bunch of off-roaders to show up in the time it takes to drive to you.

For list #1
Use the Maderita list of phones
List #2 can still be used to used to make the call using the Maderita phone list

BajaGringo - 9-21-2021 at 07:36 AM

Lots of folks get stuck in the soft sand out here nearby on the beaches west of San Quintin where we live and many of them call or message me via facebook for help. I have pulled so many people out that I just keep my tow strap and gear with a small shovel onboard wherever I go.

Most people would never have gotten stuck if they had simply aired down before hitting the soft sand but I'm always glad to help...

PaulW - 9-21-2021 at 07:54 AM

BTW - the FRS channel 7 (462.7125) noted in the Maderita message is 2 watt channel. I have that freq programmed in my 80 watt radio, but nobody with a FRS radio will be able to respond unless they are close by. They probably will hear me. FRS is designed for car to car conversation and has little range - maybe a mile or less?
The result if I transmit on that freq it would be like shouting out loud in the desert.

pacificobob - 9-21-2021 at 08:47 AM

If not prepared to get yourself unstuck, one should entertain the notion of
Staying on the pavement.

John Harper - 9-21-2021 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Staying on the pavement.

I think the JAGAZ probably means some kind of catastrophic failure: engine, transmission, drivetrain. or suspension? Who knows.

John

SFandH - 9-21-2021 at 09:06 AM

Staying on the pavement.

That's the advice I follow these days. :cool:

BornFisher - 9-21-2021 at 09:13 AM

Or get out of the sand like this guy-----

https://youtu.be/_9mmajFmVcc

David K - 9-21-2021 at 09:34 AM

It is all about air pressure! Never spin the tires if you stop moving forward as the only direction you will now move is down!

Even 2WDs or no rear lockers... you just need to let out more air than the guy in Dubai with his rear-locked 4WD... go down to around 10 psi in all 4 tires even if you are a 2WD. Do not drive fast, turn sharp, or slam the brakes when deflated. After you drive out of the sand, re-inflate!

This is why every Baja bound vehicle should have an air pump on board (and with a tire plug kit, fix flats, too).

Bajazly - 9-21-2021 at 11:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  

His first deflation method is just asking for the valve stem to be rocketed into the sand never to be seen again.

TMW - 9-21-2021 at 12:30 PM

It didn't hurt to have all 4 wheels locked. He should try it in a two wheel drive truck without a locker.

John Harper - 9-21-2021 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
It didn't hurt to have all 4 wheels locked. He should try it in a two wheel drive truck without a locker.

He didn't even get his dishdasha dirty!

John

JZ - 9-21-2021 at 01:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

His first deflation method is just asking for the valve stem to be rocketed into the sand never to be seen again.

I've got the ones you screw on and they deflate to a preset psi.

Bajazly - 9-21-2021 at 01:20 PM

Those are ok but don't stay calibrated very well. This type you have the ability to go to whatever pressure you want and it keeps the valve stem inside the body so it can't get dropped in the sand.

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 1.15.01 PM.png - 259kB

JZ - 9-21-2021 at 01:29 PM

I like to screw them on all 4 tires and drink a beer while they do their thing.

John Harper - 9-21-2021 at 01:42 PM

It's the "valve core" not the valve stem. I posted a video on Google Classroom and assigned notes due tomorrow. I sometimes use the same method as JZ, including the beer. Key to the whole procedure!

John

[Edited on 9-21-2021 by John Harper]

PaulW - 9-21-2021 at 02:01 PM

For sure the individual valve stem attachments at a preset pressure is fast and handy. Trouble is I use 3 different pressures depending on the difficulty.
That is why I use the one with the gauge I have worn out my favorite one and replaced it with another brand that is digital. total waste of $ because of the inaccuracy. Tried another brand with a bourdon tube gauge like the first on and it was not accurate. My latest on is an analog gauge from ARB. costs more and my testing vs a lab grade gauge reveals it is dead on.

One more comment for the one that removes the core - practice to avoid the loss of core. That hint is very valuable. Of course spare core is good.

BTW my new Jeep displays tire pressure and it is very inaccurate. Cannot depend on the Jeep for tire pressure.
=== === =

Those are ok but don't stay calibrated very well. This type you have the ability to go to whatever pressure you want and it keeps the valve stem inside the body so it can't get dropped in the sand.

David K - 9-21-2021 at 02:15 PM

I have them, used them a few times in 2016, one let too much air out for some reason. Back to just depressing the valve with a tool on my keys. I am not in a hurry in Baja... I am on vacation.

PaulW - 9-21-2021 at 02:49 PM

The key is practice until perfect.
Those of us who deflated for every trip to the desert get the practice which is why I wore out the first one.
First time I used it the core fell out and I had to scramble to get it back before the tire went flat.

So, are the STAUN deflators "Baja Proven"

John M - 9-21-2021 at 03:21 PM

This, in the original package, came from one of the few off-road shops back in the early 1970s. We've only had it out of the package and used it a couple of times - bet it won't work on our truck today.

Yes, however, it IS (was) Baja Proven 'cause Dick Cepek labeled it so.

Edited to add that for those who don't know, you took out a spark plug and screwed in an adaptor and ran the hose from the adaptor to the valve stem to add "compressed" air directly out of the cylinder.

John M

[Edited on 9-21-2021 by John M]

Mr. Bills - 9-21-2021 at 03:48 PM

I haven't seen one of those "chuffers" in many many years.

Ironically, one was given to my father by Dick Cepek himself in 1965 when Dick was still selling Armstrong 11-15 farm implement "flotation" tires out of his one-car garage at his home in South Gate.

Chuffers really were "Baja Proven" by Dick and also by my dad at our camp in Nuevo Mazatlan a year or two before David K visited there for the first time as a boy. They were cumbersome and inconvenient to use, slow too, but they were the high tech of the day.

BTW (on edit), chuffers didn't pump gasoline-laden air from the cylinder directly into the tire. It used a diaphragm to push fresh air into the tire.

[Edited on 9-21-2021 by Mr. Bills]

Maderita - 9-21-2021 at 04:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  

...Edited to add that for those who don't know, you took out a spark plug and screwed in an adaptor and ran the hose from the adaptor to the valve stem to add "compressed" air directly out of the cylinder.

Perhaps this needs another edit :) The air for the tire did not come directly from the cylinder. The cylinder pressure (120-160 psi or so) drove a small piston which cycled with the engine cylinder pressure. That small piston/cylinder was supplied with clean air from outside. Note that the package even says "Pumps Clean Fresh Air".

Funny story: I had a Land Cruiser FJ40 back in the 1970s. Upon returning to Baja pavement, I screwed the device into the spark plug hole on the inline-6 engine. Standard operating procedure for filling up those ubiquitous 11x15 Armstrong bias-ply Tru-Tracs (anyone here remember those?) Unfortunately, I neglected to ground the ignition cable (aka: spark plug wire), leaving it hanging. A spark ignited the hydrogen gas from the battery vent. The entire side of the battery blew out with a bang! Washed off the spilled acid and the battery still worked, but at a reduced 10 volts. Just enough to spin the starter and drive home. Just one humorous lesson from the Baja school of hard knocks...

Maderita - 9-21-2021 at 04:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
This, in the original package, came from one of the few off-road shops back in the early 1970s. We've only had it out of the package and used it a couple of times - bet it won't work on our truck today.

Yes, however, it IS (was) Baja Proven 'cause Dick Cepek labeled it so.

My "spark plug pump" was no doubt purchased at Dick Cepek Offroad in El Cajon. Worked great when heads were cast iron, spark plugs were visible, and you could access with hands and a socket wrench. I wouldn't even try it on a modern vehicle. Even if you could see what you were doing, squeeze your hands in, and had the appropriate flexible extensions for the socket, the thought of stripping the threads on an aluminum head is scary.

Edits and ...

John M - 9-21-2021 at 04:25 PM

Thanks for the corrections and better explanations MrBills and Maderita

We did have the Tru-Tracs from Cepek on our '68 Bronco - that we wish we still had.

JM

David K - 9-21-2021 at 04:32 PM

Before the electric air pumps were the big ticket, we used the engine compression pump, as well.

As stated, the gas/air mix does not go into the tire (I used to argue that point)... a device with a check valve, drew in fresh air and that was pumped into the tires.

So, yes, you are running on one less cylinder while filling the tires but it was pretty fast. The bad part was having to handle hot spark plug and hot device removal at the start and end of the refill. I last used mine in 70s... before fuel injection and electronic ignition.

Here is how the device works:

Here is a video of one working:

https://fb.watch/8a91dGEE-m/

or

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3056398987787809

PaulW - 9-21-2021 at 04:39 PM

Save the thing it probably is worth something?
It was very practical back in the day.

AKgringo - 9-21-2021 at 05:07 PM

To get at a spark plug in my Kia, you must remove parts that will prevent the other three cylinders from firing. I doubt that the battery and starting motor would be up to filling a few tires!

Redundancy

John M - 9-21-2021 at 05:40 PM

In those late 60's early 70's we actually carried one of these in addition to the spark plug pump - don't think we ever tried it on one of those 31x10.50x15 tires.

John M

willardguy - 9-21-2021 at 05:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
They sold those for motorcycles too, as most the dirt bikes had an easy to get at spark plug, being a two stroke.

John

[Edited on 9-22-2021 by John Harper]

so what did you do kick like mad or get a tow:?:

John Harper - 9-21-2021 at 06:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
They sold those for motorcycles too, as most the dirt bikes had an easy to get at spark plug, being a two stroke.

John

so what did you do kick like mad or get a tow:?:

Never used one, but kick till you "kick" is likely to happen before the tire is inflated. Shut off the gas, drain bowl, and you pump air direct from the cylinder. It was advertised for emergency use.

John

[Edited on 9-22-2021 by John Harper]

geoffff - 9-21-2021 at 07:44 PM

Hmmm, impressive! I don't get stuck down to the frame in sand often, but I had never thought that just turning the steering left and right would get me out (aired down, in low, and diffs locked of course I know). I wonder if it matters what kind of sand? I find coarse beach sand to be the worst.

geoffff - 9-21-2021 at 07:48 PM

As Geoffff, Pappy Jon, Mike Younghusband, etc. know... I am happy to relay your inReach or Spot device help messages, sent to me, on to Nomads or friends of yours. We will get it figured out so you are not without assistance!

While I was driving all over Baja alone doing the guide and map research for Baja Bound, several amigos here were following me because I had a DeLorme (now Garmin) inReach device. We could also exchange messages, sometimes almost instantly. It was a relief! My wife and I could also communicate.

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
Does it make sense to put together a "region by region" contact list for us nomads?

Friends of DavidK, 4x4abc, JZ, PaulW, Stucksucks, mtgoat666(even though we know he never goes to baja.. hahah! jk) etc, etc, etc,..

People that we actually KNOW down there that would be good resources for any of us when we run into problems, are stuck, are broken, etc? I think that would be a fantastic use of our combined resources!

Yes! That would be super great! I don't like imposing on people, but in a real emergency I could. I am happy to compile and forward on phone # info via PM if we want to make a list!

JZ - 9-21-2021 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  

Yes! That would be super great! I don't like imposing on people, but in a real emergency I could. I am happy to compile and forward on phone # info via PM if we want to make a list!

Hey Geofff, that would be incredible. It would be invaluable to many on here. I'm sure Paul would help out too.

Maderita - 9-22-2021 at 12:42 AM

A couple of observations about this video:
As TMW noted, the truck had locking diffs front and rear. That provides roughly 4x the traction available to a 2WD truck, and 2x more than a typical 4x4 with standard open diffs. That truck engine likely had way more than the average amount of torque.

I've found that at times, turning the steering wheel back and forth can assist; also at times while hunting for traction on loose hill climbs and on mud. But it is no magic solution as presented. It had more to do with locking diffs, torque at low rpm, and airing down.

Regarding airing down, he recommended 15-20 psi in the video. That is too much air for optimal flotation with those tires and on that truck. The truck made it out, but it is important to know that it could have done even better. Nearing the end of the video, the truck pulls onto flat sand. The slight bulge in the BFG AT's is noticeable, but not close to the threshold where there is risk of popping off the wheel bead. He could run dunes at 11-12 psi. To get unstuck, 10 psi. And if that doesn't do it, 8 psi, but only long enough to get out of the hole and unstuck.

That appeared to be a regular cab 1/2 ton truck. Unloaded, approx. 4,500 lbs. A heavier truck (1-ton, quad cab, diesel engine, and/or with a camper) would need a little more air. Add 2 or 3 psi to the above numbers.

When deflating, keep an eye on the sidewall. Ideally, the tire will make a smooth, uniform rounded bulge. Tires with stiff sidewalls may not bulge much as you air down until they buckle and form a crease. Crease = bad, so add a little more air to avoid damaging the tire and rim cuts.

I ran dunes (Glamis/Gordon's/Buttercup) with a 3,600 lb. Wrangler for a couple decades, both with rear paddles or on four 33 x 12.50 BFGs, locking diffs front and rear, bored & stroked I-6 making 260 hp. Keeping up with the buggies, I popped the beads a very few times running hard and jumping. Overall 10 psi was a good number. If the sand is wet and hard, air up to 14+ psi when deliberately pulling hard sliding turns (don't ask how I know ;)

I just noticed that what I had assumed were fake/cosmetic beadlock wheels on that truck may actually be true beadlocks. Beadlock wheels will accommodate even lower psi.

pacificobob - 9-22-2021 at 04:55 AM

I have them, used them a few times in 2016, one let too much air out for some reason. Back to just depressing the valve with a tool on my keys. I am not in a hurry in Baja... I am on vacation.

I bought some years ago
Quit using them for the same reason. Lots of time for more beers while you inflate the tires that went too low.

TMW - 9-22-2021 at 02:46 PM

In 2010 I was following the Baja 1000 course after the race in Baja Sur and I see this beautiful beach at Baca Guadalupe so I turn my GMC Z71 toward it.Well I hit the sand and in about 20-30 feet I started digging in. I get out and lower the air in my tires to 20psi. I go 3 or 4 feet and start digging in again. I lower it to 15psi same thing. Finally I go down to 10psi and out I go. Since I was alone I thought it best to stay on course and head for La Paz. I did air back up on the hard pack.

David K - 9-22-2021 at 02:52 PM

10 psi is the magic number for many. Especially true for 3-ply sidewall tires or 2WDs.

The Tacoma generally floats well at 18 psi with the tires I use.

TMW - 9-22-2021 at 03:00 PM

I had BFG AT KO tires.

In one of the SF250 races I was helping a class 8 race truck with a broken rear axle and therefore he only had 1 wheel drive. after getting stuck a couple of times we aired his BFG race tires down to 4 psi. He made it around about 3/4 of the race course but finally got stuck behind a buggy at the hwy jct of Matomi wash. I was really surprised at how well he went thru the sand. I think he was running 39x12.50 tires.

Maderita - 9-22-2021 at 03:24 PM

...I think he was running 39x12.50 tires.

And I presume beadlock rims??? Without beadlocks, 4 psi combined with significant throttle would either spin the wheel within the tire and/or pop (disengage) the bead.

The reason I am noting that is to help others from making the mistake of trying that with normal (non-beadlock) wheels.

[Edited on 9-23-2021 by Maderita]

David K - 9-22-2021 at 03:43 PM

The lowest pressure I ever had my tires at to get 'unstuck' was 6 psi! In my first Tacoma around 2002. I was at 15 psi, dropped to 10, then to 8, and finally 6*. That was it and I drove out of the fluff. It is all about air pressure... Just drop it until you float!

This was on Shell Island during an extremely high tide that forced me to the base of the sand dunes... so powdery blow sand, very hot air temperature and dry! It worked and the high tide didn't swallow my first Tacoma! There was a dead whale that blocked the typical way and the tide was really high!

*There was an outside chance my gauge was off, but these numbers make a good story! What ever the PSI number is, just find the point that the tires will float on the sand instead of digging into it.

steve5555 - 9-22-2021 at 08:19 PM

good one!

A couple of observations about this video:
As TMW noted, the truck had locking diffs front and rear. That provides roughly 4x the traction available to a 2WD truck, and 2x more than a typical 4x4 with standard open diffs. That truck engine likely had way more than the average amount of torque.

I've found that at times, turning the steering wheel back and forth can assist; also at times while hunting for traction on loose hill climbs and on mud. But it is no magic solution as presented. It had more to do with locking diffs, torque at low rpm, and airing down.

Regarding airing down, he recommended 15-20 psi in the video. That is too much air for optimal flotation with those tires and on that truck. The truck made it out, but it is important to know that it could have done even better. Nearing the end of the video, the truck pulls onto flat sand. The slight bulge in the BFG AT's is noticeable, but not close to the threshold where there is risk of popping off the wheel bead. He could run dunes at 11-12 psi. To get unstuck, 10 psi. And if that doesn't do it, 8 psi, but only long enough to get out of the hole and unstuck.

That appeared to be a regular cab 1/2 ton truck. Unloaded, approx. 4,500 lbs. A heavier truck (1-ton, quad cab, diesel engine, and/or with a camper) would need a little more air. Add 2 or 3 psi to the above numbers.

When deflating, keep an eye on the sidewall. Ideally, the tire will make a smooth, uniform rounded bulge. Tires with stiff sidewalls may not bulge much as you air down until they buckle and form a crease. Crease = bad, so add a little more air to avoid damaging the tire and rim cuts.

I ran dunes (Glamis/Gordon's/Buttercup) with a 3,600 lb. Wrangler for a couple decades, both with rear paddles or on four 33 x 12.50 BFGs, locking diffs front and rear, bored & stroked I-6 making 260 hp. Keeping up with the buggies, I popped the beads a very few times running hard and jumping. Overall 10 psi was a good number. If the sand is wet and hard, air up to 14+ psi when deliberately pulling hard sliding turns (don't ask how I know ;)

I just noticed that what I had assumed were fake/cosmetic beadlock wheels on that truck may actually be true beadlocks. Beadlock wheels will accommodate even lower psi.

Tioloco - 9-22-2021 at 09:19 PM

The lowest pressure I ever had my tires at to get 'unstuck' was 6 psi! In my first Tacoma around 2002. I was at 15 psi, dropped to 10, then to 8, and finally 6*. That was it and I drove out of the fluff. It is all about air pressure... Just drop it until you float!

This was on Shell Island during an extremely high tide that forced me to the base of the sand dunes... so powdery blow sand, very hot air temperature and dry! It worked and the high tide didn't swallow my first Tacoma! There was a dead whale that blocked the typical way and the tide was really high!

*There was an outside chance my gauge was off, but these numbers make a good story! What ever the PSI number is, just find the point that the tires will float on the sand instead of digging into it.

4-6psi on a jeep jk has been great for cruising the beach and the dunes. (35” tire 16” wheel)

15 psi on diesel superduty has provided great results in the beach with no worries. (35” tire 17” wheel)

[Edited on 9-23-2021 by Tioloco]

geoffff - 9-22-2021 at 10:08 PM

I like to talk fractions (half pressure, ⅓ pressure, etc.) as heavier vehicles generally need higher pressures - like my van (10k lbs). I run roughly 50 highway, ⅔ of that on washboard, and ⅓ of full pressure on dry loose sand. I never go below that (about 16 PSI).

DouglasP - 9-23-2021 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  

This is an idea that needs to happen. I would gladly put my information in the list.
I do a lot of way off the beaten path stuff. I carry an inreach unit, but have often wondered how that would work out if needed for a broken rig type of situation.
I have contacts that could get a hold of contacts, who could then get a hold of contacts, lol.
A dedicated group of folks with a region of Baja associated with them would be invaluable.

If this comes to fruition, count me in for a very large area in and around Punta Chivato and beyond.

Geoff, let me know if the list is a thing and I will get you my contact info.

TMW - 9-23-2021 at 11:46 AM

...I think he was running 39x12.50 tires.

And I presume beadlock rims??? Without beadlocks, 4 psi combined with significant throttle would either spin the wheel within the tire and/or pop (disengage) the bead.

The reason I am noting that is to help others from making the mistake of trying that with normal (non-beadlock) wheels.

[Edited on 9-23-2021 by Maderita]

Yes he had beadlocks.

bajatrailrider - 9-23-2021 at 12:48 PM

All of my friends from states when in Mexico. If break down call me one thing I learned off road. Exhample if you have a Toyota badly stuck . When I got another buddy with Toyota to pull me out 😂. Now both Toyotas stuck with me having so many toys off road. I hardly use my Dodge turbo diesel 4x4 . It has been the truck to get all the others out .

pacificobob - 9-24-2021 at 07:12 AM

But,but,but.....I've been told an aired down Toyota is unstoppable.

bajatrailrider - 9-24-2021 at 07:24 AM

Anything with 4 wheels does not get far in difficult places . I even got my sxs stuck last week. I prefer my dirt bike now that is unstoppable.

David K - 9-24-2021 at 07:38 AM

But,but,but.....I've been told an aired down Toyota is unstoppable.

Driver's knowledge has a lot to do with it along with making good decisions on where to try and drive. Put an unskilled driver in the best off road truck, and getting stuck is very possible!
In my nearly 50 years of driving off road, the Off Road TRD Tacoma 4x4 has been the most amazing (and never stuck) vehicle. The only mechanical fail in 120,000 miles was when my rear brake drum broke, near Rancho el Coyote. Fortunately, bajatrailrider was there and loaned me a tool and knowledge that allowed me to drive home!

bajatrailrider - 9-24-2021 at 09:41 AM

Yes David that route very nasty when you tried to it . 😂 When you took off we all said he will be back soon . We here surprised you broke brake line. as most normal 4x4s turn back . Same on misadventure motos I always tell them don't even think of it . 😂. In less then 30 min they return . Broken moto broken body I don't say I told you so there too beat up. It's not even a fun route on real dirt bike . We only do it to get to nice trails

David K - 9-24-2021 at 11:27 AM

The rear drum assembly mount broke from the axle The brake jammed and dragged wheel rotation. The hydraulic piston seals failed, allowing brake fluid to leak, which happened after I limped back to El Coyote. The road was rough, but the brake fail is what turned me back. With your vise grips and Mike's rubber tube piece, we squeezed the brake line, halting fluid loss. I now have a can of brake fluid in my truck!