BajaNomad

Filling fresh water tank while in Baja

TinCanAdventureVan - 9-29-2021 at 01:25 PM

Hey all, planning a 7 day trip in Baja in my camper van next month. I have a 8 gallon fresh water tank I use for my sink for washing dishes, hands, face etc.. I might need to fill her up at some point in the trip and was curious what y'all did for that. I figured I'd just buy several gallon bottles of water at some point to refill the fresh water tank but if theres a better option that involves less unnecessary plastic trash I'm all ears. I do have a water inlet and a standard hose for filling the tank from a water spigot but is it sketchy to wash dishes with the tap? Thanks!

David K - 9-29-2021 at 02:06 PM

The spring at Bahia de los Angeles used to be a place... best tasting water anywhere, some would say! It is up on the slope above town... look for big silver tanks and the palm trees. Maybe an L.A. Bay Nomad can verify if they still have the garden hose for RVs to fill up for a small fee?

geoffff - 9-29-2021 at 02:20 PM

As far as I can tell, Mexicans all drink bottled water not tap water. They often use those 5-gallon translucent blue water-cooler jugs which are refilled at water stores.

If I am lazy I just buy some water in disposable containers from the supermarket, but I have also filled up at a water store when passing through Guerrero Negro. The process required giving them my own Coleman plastic water jug to fill - so it took a few repeats of filling and carrying back and forth to the van. They cleaned it first.

-- Geoff

[Edited on 9-29-2021 by geoffff]

Bob and Susan - 9-29-2021 at 03:34 PM

8 gallons is nothing...a big water bottle and a little one...
fill at the water store for 1 dollar...purified water

your biggest threat is your own tank...if you dont know how to treat the water in it is already moldy

7 days without a shower you'll be filthy...and stinky

remember when you stay in a town hotel in baja they use town water...they dont treat it....its "good enough"///no one gets sick

always drink bottled water even at home

Bajazly - 9-29-2021 at 05:02 PM

Every town has a purifacado, easy to find because they are mostly blue buildings. A 5 gallon garrifon here in San Felipe is about 12 or 13 pesos. A lot of purifacados also have ice.

There are also water tanks at many small tiendas where you can fill 5 gallon bottles and again, dirt cheap, just have something to fill up, they don't have hoses on them.

TinCanAdventureVan - 9-29-2021 at 05:25 PM

Thanks for the excellent info everyone! I'll probably just pick up a 5 gallon jug somewhere down there otherwise just pick up several smaller bottles and play it safe. Thanks!

Paulina - 9-29-2021 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The spring at Bahia de los Angeles used to be a place... best tasting water anywhere, some would say! It is up on the slope above town... look for big silver tanks and the palm trees. Maybe an L.A. Bay Nomad can verify if they still have the garden hose for RVs to fill up for a small fee?

In Bahia you can fill your RV at “La Mision” market with drinking water. They have a long hose that will reach the street. It is on the west side of the road across from Guillermo's. You can have your garafons washed out and refilled there too. 5 gal is 13 pesos.

The spring water isn't purified drinking water.

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 1-10-2021 by Paulina]

4x4abc - 9-29-2021 at 06:16 PM

with the intended use in mind "use for my sink for washing dishes, hands, face etc" the water hose at any gas station is good enough
I use it for cooking too
for drinking I prefer the flavored version (Cerveza)

have done it for 35+ years
give the gas guy 10 pesos and you are ready to go

geoffff - 9-29-2021 at 09:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paulina  
You can have your garafons washed out and refilled there too. 5 gal is 13 pesos.

Yes, thanks for reminding me -- "garrafon" [edit: "garrafón"] -- that's the Mexican word for those 5-gallon water-cooler jugs.

[Edited on 9-30-2021 by geoffff]

David K - 9-30-2021 at 07:20 AM

Some folks don't know how to add accent marks. Cell phones are easy as you just hold down the letter to get the accent options. a to á.

mtgoat666 - 9-30-2021 at 12:12 PM

garrafón
carafe
garafa
gharrāfa
carboy from persian qarrâbah
all come from arabic ḡurfa ??

and
demijohn (from french dame-jeanne)
do they use "damajuana" in mexican spanish?

SFandH - 9-30-2021 at 12:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  
You can have your garafons washed out and refilled there too. 5 gal is 13 pesos.

Yes, thanks for reminding me -- "garrafon" [edit: "garrafón"] -- that's the Mexican word for those 5-gallon water-cooler jugs.

That's what we use. I don't why, but they are getting heavier every year. I might go to the 3-gallon models. :D

Don Pisto - 9-30-2021 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  

That's what we use. I don't why, but they are getting heavier every year. I might go to the 3-gallon models. :D

I finally said goodbye to the jugs and crock and put in an RO system.....I like it!:biggrin:

SFandH - 9-30-2021 at 03:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
That's what we use. I don't why, but they are getting heavier every year.

Same reason the water hasn't submerged David's palm trees: Unbeknownst to most, gravity has been increasing substantially in that part of the world, preventing the tide from rising as it would like (and of course making your garrafones much heavier).

I have noticed more gravitons when cleaning up around the house.

Gravitons in guerrophones, not good, ;)

[Edited on 9-30-2021 by SFandH]

SFandH - 9-30-2021 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

I finally said goodbye to the jugs and crock and put in an RO system.....I like it!:biggrin:

Am I wrong to be worried about bacteria in Mex tap water? Have to add some UV to the RO to eliminate that.

Bob and Susan - 9-30-2021 at 03:15 PM

that would depend if your service provider is adding clorine to the water at the pump

SFandH - 9-30-2021 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
that would depend if your service provider is adding clorine to the water at the pump

What about Mulege tap water?

BajaBlanca - 9-30-2021 at 03:52 PM

Boy, for dishes and showers. I would think the gas station water should do you fine.

Drinking water is a whole nother issue and garrafones are 18 pesos here in La Bocana.

Bob and Susan - 9-30-2021 at 03:53 PM

the water from the pump is clean...

the people in town use it for washing dishes...bathing...laundry...

they drink purified water from the filter plant

remember for every gallon of ro water you make you lose 9 gallons...

i wouldnt drink that myself...unless you change filters weekly$$$

Don Pisto - 9-30-2021 at 04:08 PM

the water from the pump is clean...

the people in town use it for washing dishes...bathing...laundry...

they drink purified water from the filter plant

remember for every gallon of ro water you make you lose 9 gallons...

i wouldnt drink that myself...unless you change filters weekly$$$

actually it's about 3 gallons, and if you're only making drinking water I can deal with it, sorry you can't;)

Bob and Susan - 9-30-2021 at 05:01 PM

im wrong

for every gallon you make yu actually lose 4 gallons

so if you drink and use 3 gallons a day you lose 12 gallons

and it comes out really slow

Bob and Susan - 9-30-2021 at 06:40 PM

the waste is considered dangerous ///

you are supposed to put it in a collection pond so it seeps into the soil

geoffff - 10-1-2021 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
[...]with the pressure often going negative. I.e. it sucks in from outside, be it from private hoses stuck in filthy water with the tap open, or in through leaks in the underground pipes run in the same trench with leaky sewer pipes. Then when the pressure comes back up, it carries those contaminants on to unsuspecting neighbors, perhaps blocks away.

Curious! That explains a lot. I guess they don't mandate backflow preventers like they do here in the rich USA for my yard sprinkler system.

David K - 10-1-2021 at 10:18 AM

Indeed... a garden hose trickling in a planter could bring in fertilizer, manure, dirt if the water pressure drops and a back-siphonage happens.

In Mexico, this may be when the water supply does not remain consistent, elevation changes in the distribution (a home lower in elevation from yours may have water running and the water system is shut down or pressure drops... that would cause water in you lines to reverse direction and head to that lower home.. even if for a few seconds... that is enough to contaminate the water system.

In the USA, this usually only happens if the fire department hooks up to a hydrant near you or a main line breaks. This causes negative pressure in that neighborhood and could bring in contaminated water.

This is why every commercial and many residential properties have a backflow preventer. Sprinkler systems use anti-siphon valves or backflow preventers, and garden hose bibs now all have anti siphon check valves that only allow water to go one direction.

HeyMulegeScott - 10-4-2021 at 12:00 PM

We fill up our RV with tap water in Baja and haven't had any issues with showering and washing dishes.

For drinking water we use a couple of these 7 gallon jugs with a spigot and get them filled at an agua purificada place for cheap. Usually the same price they charge for a 5 gallon.

Pick up a 5 gallon solar shower bag. They work great on sunny days.

[Edited on 10-4-2021 by HeyMulegeScott]

John Harper - 10-4-2021 at 12:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by HeyMulegeScott  
We fill up our RV with tap water in Baja and haven't had any issues with showering and washing dishes.

For drinking water we use a couple of these 7 gallon jugs with a spigot and get them filled at an agua purificada place for cheap. Usually the same price they charge for a 5 gallon.

Pick up a 5 gallon solar shower bag. They work great on sunny days.

[Edited on 10-4-2021 by HeyMulegeScott]

+1

John

Skipjack Joe - 10-6-2021 at 09:38 AM

I only drink bottled water in baja. Don't trust agua purificada because I've gotten upset stomachs from it (and worse). For some people it takes time for their stomachs to adjust to agua purificada. I also brush my teeth with bottled water as well. My Mexican neighbor uses agua purificada and I get upset stomachs when eating ceviche or salads. Everyone is different. I side with caution.

missejc - 12-24-2022 at 12:13 PM

Those 5 gallon garrafons are getting heavy. I want to use these to fill my 16 gallon tank. Other than standing and holding the heavy bottles to get water into the little hole, has anyone got an idea on how to get it into the tank? Some kind of pump? Do the purifacados have mangueras?

pacificobob - 12-24-2022 at 12:21 PM

8 gallons is nothing...a big water bottle and a little one...
fill at the water store for 1 dollar...purified water

your biggest threat is your own tank...if you dont know how to treat the water in it is already moldy

7 days without a shower you'll be filthy...and stinky

remember when you stay in a town hotel in baja they use town water...they dont treat it....its "good enough"///no one gets sick

always drink bottled water even at home

A dollar? I think you are paying a special price.

chippy - 12-24-2022 at 12:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by missejc  
Those 5 gallon garrafons are getting heavy. I want to use these to fill my 16 gallon tank. Other than standing and holding the heavy bottles to get water into the little hole, has anyone got an idea on how to get it into the tank? Some kind of pump? Do the purifacados have mangueras?[/rquote

Get a 12 volt tansfer pump or a manual pump if you want some exercise. Some of the agua purificada places have hoses but not all that i've used.

[Edited on 12-24-2022 by chippy]

Alan - 12-26-2022 at 08:26 AM

Those 5 gallon garrafons are getting heavy. I want to use these to fill my 16 gallon tank. Other than standing and holding the heavy bottles to get water into the little hole, has anyone got an idea on how to get it into the tank? Some kind of pump? Do the purifacados have mangueras?
You can find siphon pumps at nearly every supermarket in Baja. ie: Sorianas, Chedraui, Leys

RFClark - 12-26-2022 at 09:24 AM

Most of the water plants have a hose to fill RVs and larger tanks. 7 gal should set you back a couple of $$$ us. You can buy a new full 5 gal container for 110-120 Pesos. You might want to carry a couple.

Under no circumstances would I put any untested Mexican water into my tank without adding chlorine bleach at about a Tbs/gallon! There are things that bleach won’t kill quickly as well.

The HOAs low pressure water system in Rancho Nuevo probably suffers from the occasional back flow. The solution widely used in places with low pressure delivery systems is to use the main supply to fill a tank or cistern and run a pressure water system from there. We have 10K liters of storage to which I add bleach regularly. All gravity water systems will be problematic sooner or later!

[Edited on 12-26-2022 by RFClark]

freediverbrian - 12-26-2022 at 04:06 PM

Those 5 gallon garrafons are getting heavy. I want to use these to fill my 16 gallon tank. Other than standing and holding the heavy bottles to get water into the little hole, has anyone got an idea on how to get it into the tank? Some kind of pump? Do the purifacados have mangueras?[/rquo

At Harbor Freight they have a liquid transfer pump that works on batteries works well and is under $20. I use to transfer fuel in my boat,love it

bajarich - 12-27-2022 at 09:40 PM

If you think the 5 gallon jugs are heavy, the 7 gallon ones are that much heavier. I use a Home Depot folding hand truck to haul mine around.

Another note, don't let the 5 gal jugs drop even a few inches as you set them down. They are really brittle and will burst in your camper. Guess how I know?

mtgoat666 - 12-27-2022 at 09:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
If you think the 5 gallon jugs are heavy, the 7 gallon ones are that much heavier. I use a Home Depot folding hand truck to haul mine around.

Another note, don't let the 5 gal jugs drop even a few inches as you set them down. They are really brittle and will burst in your camper. Guess how I know?

Toting around water jugs is good for you. As we age, we must use it or lose it. The smart health-conscious nomad will eschew any pump assist or dolly, and will hand-carry the jugs and hold them while emptying them.