BajaNomad

Drive Time from Mexicali to Guerrero Negro

RobbyZ - 10-17-2021 at 08:13 PM

Can you guys tell me what the drive time is. I have heard it is fast, but would like to hear from personal experience.

JZ - 10-17-2021 at 10:01 PM

Rushing down Baja to see Cabo is not the way to go.

Cabo is nice and all, but far, far from the best spot in Baja.

David K - 10-18-2021 at 05:08 AM

6 hours is probably a safe guess... But, we would never do it in a single day. Beautiful beaches south of San Felipe beckon one to camp there.

BornFisher - 10-18-2021 at 07:35 AM

Google maps say 8hrs 25 mins.

honda tom - 10-18-2021 at 09:11 AM

7 hrs with fuel stops only

mtgoat666 - 10-18-2021 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
6 hours is probably a safe guess...

A guess?

7 hours for me, not a guess.

RFClark - 10-18-2021 at 09:55 AM

For us not driving over 100KM/HR 2+ Hours to San Felipe and 4 HRs to the 28th depending on road work.

geoffff - 10-18-2021 at 01:22 PM

Like DavidK, I'd also recommend stopping overnight in the San Felipe area.

The process of crossing the border in Mexicali always takes more time than I'd like. Don't forget to allocate time for border inspection, getting your permits, paying your fees, etc.

What I usually do is camp somewhere within an hour of Calixico in the US, cross the border in the morning, get any groceries I might need in Mexicali, then eat some street tacos for lunch. Then the long drive to San Felipe, and a bit farther south to camp at Percebu (Shell Island). I get there in late afternoon, perfect for setting up camp.

mtgoat666 - 10-18-2021 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  
Like DavidK, I'd also recommend stopping overnight in the San Felipe area.

why make an easy 1-day drive into 2 days?

you can leave san diego at sunrise and easily be in GN in late afternoon.

David K - 10-18-2021 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
For us not driving over 100KM/HR 2+ Hours to San Felipe and 4 HRs to the 28th depending on road work.

Right... with stops and not towing or driving a motorhome.
If towing or driving a M/H 7-8 hrs.

Given that the Goat drives Baja so much (have you seen all his trip reports and photos)? I will bend my guess to 6-7 hours.

Approx. miles:
Mexicali to San Felipe: 125 mi
San Felipe to Chapala: 130 mi
Chapala to Guerrero Negro: 115 mi
Total: 370 miles... That is very little driving in mountains and almost no 'local' (town) traffic other than crossing Mexicali and San Felipe.

The kilometer posts are a fun thing to figure out on your drive!
Highway 5:
*Mexicali Km. 0 is 5 miles (8 kms.) south of the west border crossing.
*Km. 191 is the traffic circle in the center of San Felipe, where you turn right to continue south to Puertecitos, Gonzaga Bay, Hwy. 1/ Chapala.
*Km. 0 is 6 miles (10 kms.) south of the traffic circle, where you turn left off of the airport road.
*Km. 147 is the Gonzaga Bay gas station
*Km. 168 was changed to Km. 171, with the rest of Hwy. 5 reading 3 kms. more than the true distance.
*Km. 201 + is the end of Highway 5 at Laguna Chapala (Hwy. 1 Km. 233.5).

Highway 1:
*Km. 233.5 Highway 5 junction, Laguna Chapala
*Km. 282/ Km. 0 Bahia de los Angeles junction. Here Hwy. 1 kilometer markers reset to zero!
*Km. 95 + Villa Jesus María, gas station.
*Km. 127/ Km. 220 Eagle Monument/ State Border/ Mountain Time. Here the kilometer markers work the opposite direction and decrease to zero at Santa Rosalia
*Km. 219 Ag Inspection Station. Pay 20 pesos to drive over a spray strip to kill bugs under your car. In the distant past, INM was set up just before here to check your FMM.
*Km. 216.5 Guerrero Negro 'Y' junction. The town is to the right, Vizcaino, San Ignacio, Santa Rosalia, is to the left.

Got it? LOL Have fun!! :lol:

Don Pisto - 10-18-2021 at 03:03 PM

I guess no one else stops every 20 miles to relieve themselves and grab another freshy from the box!:coolup:

Skipjack Joe - 10-18-2021 at 05:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

Right... with stops and not towing or driving a motorhome.
If towing or driving a M/H 7-8 hrs.

Given that the Goat drives Baja so much (have you seen all his trip reports and photos)? I will bend my guess to 6-7 hours.

Approx. miles:
Mexicali to San Felipe: 125 mi
San Felipe to Chapala: 130 mi
Chapala to Guerrero Negro: 115 mi
Total: 370 miles... That is very little driving in mountains and almost no 'local' (town) traffic other than crossing Mexicali and San Felipe.

Only a fool would drive the mountain sections between Chapala and GN at 60mph. And how fast would you drive through Mexicali where you pass numerous traffic signals and stop signs? Listen to geofff and take his advice. I have a spot near the BOLA turnoff that I favor. Assuming you have camping facilities. I suppose one of the good things about driving hwy 1 is that there are far more motels and restaurants along the way.

AKgringo - 10-18-2021 at 05:38 PM

I rarely travel on a schedule with my stopping points planned out. I stop and let the dog run around at least a couple of times a day, and I am always looking for a road or trail that could lead to someplace interesting.

If it is late in the afternoon, I might luck out and find a nice, private place to camp. Other times, I might wind up spending the night in a gravel pit left over from road construction, or by an abandoned building.

phmilo - 10-18-2021 at 06:07 PM

I love when I see a topic and go "hey, that's just what I need/was wondering" and it seems like a simple, fairly straightforward thing. But then you click through and get 15 opinions from 11 different nomads, and are left trying to figure out who you trust.

At least David usually puts up some nice pictures, and he drives a Toyota, so....:lol:

Skipjack Joe - 10-18-2021 at 06:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Other times, I might wind up spending the night in a gravel pit left over from road construction, or by an abandoned building.

Yes!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Been there more than once.

mtgoat666 - 10-18-2021 at 08:01 PM

GN to mexicali is an easy 1 day drive at a moderate pace.

Those of you with prostate or kidney problems are the exception, most people dont need to stop/pee every 30 minutes.

[Edited on 10-19-2021 by mtgoat666]

advrider - 10-18-2021 at 08:35 PM

If needed it can be done, no doubt! As many have said it's nice to slow down and see the sights, plus it's Baja so why rush.
Many opinions and options given depending on your style of travel, that's one of the things I like about this site. We travel with two dogs and tend to take our time to stop, play and look around often.

mtgoat666 - 10-19-2021 at 06:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
If needed it can be done, no doubt! As many have said it's nice to slow down and see the sights, plus it's Baja so why rush.
Many opinions and options given depending on your style of travel, that's one of the things I like about this site. We travel with two dogs and tend to take our time to stop, play and look around often.

If one wants to slow down and see the sights, they should take 1 and not 5.
The drive on 5 from Mexicali to pertecitos is ugly compared to the corresponding drive on 1.
5 route is just for saving time,…

DouglasP - 10-19-2021 at 06:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The drive on 5 from Mexicali to pertecitos is ugly compared to the corresponding drive on 1.

You should write a travel guide Goat.
I have the title for you already--Goat Chit!

bajaric - 10-19-2021 at 07:24 AM

Saw a post over on f-book by some guy who said he drives Mexicali to Guerrero Negro in 6 hours, for an average speed of 62 miles per hour. In other words, to make up for the slow sections, checkpoints, etc. he is driving 75-80. With the current excellent condition of the 5, I can believe it, but that is a little too fast for Baja, in my opinion. I like to cruise along around 65, its a lot easier to correct in an unexpected situation than when going 80. Why turn a trip to Baja into a nerve wracking speed race to arrive at your destination a half an hour sooner? The Federales sometimes set up a speed trap approaching San Felipe, too.

[Edited on 10-19-2021 by bajaric]

unbob - 10-19-2021 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Saw a post over on f-book by some guy who said he drives Mexicali to Guerrero Negro in 6 hours, for an average speed of 62 miles per hour. In other words, to make up for the slow sections, checkpoints, etc. he is driving 75-80. With the current excellent condition of the 5, I can believe it, but that is a little too fast for Baja, in my opinion. I like to cruise along around 65, its a lot easier to correct in an unexpected situation than when going 80. Why turn a trip to Baja into a nerve wracking speed race to arrive at your destination a half an hour sooner? The Federales sometimes set up a speed trap approaching San Felipe, too.

Totally agree. Since driving a vehicle is the riskiest activity for most people, I always try to minimize risk when driving whenever possible. And driving at excessive high speed raises risk tremendously. Not for me.

Experience has taught me that disaster can strike at any time - so yes, I am cautious.

RFClark - 10-19-2021 at 09:57 AM

We probably drive to Todos Santos as often as anyone. We overnight at our place south of San felipe cause it’s there and spend the next night at San Ignacio cause we like the place. We spend the 2nd night in the Loreto area. I don’t consider 100Km/Hr too fast for most of the road and 120Km for about half, especially in BCS.

On a single lane road, most of which has no shoulder or turn-outs, you drive as fast as the trucks and buses or they pass you!

Personally I don't like to be passed by a set of doubles ( especially gas or propane trucks) you might feel different about that so bon appetite!

David K - 10-19-2021 at 09:58 AM

No hurry, no worry... It is what Baja Bernie used to say... and part of the title of his first book!

Compared to Hwy. 1, this route is incredibly quicker... Not because of the mostly flat, straight driving, lack of mountain conditions, or any high-speed driving, but because of the lack of all the agricultural towns once you are beyond the Mexicali Valley. There just isn't all that slow or truck traffic. You also save 30 min + by not having to drive across the whole city of Ensenada.

San Felipe is pretty minimal problem driving for a city, but it does have a dozen 4-way stop signs. There are no other towns with stop signs or signals on the highway until you get to the state border. Three small towns are easily passed through and may have a speed bump or two: Punta Prieta, Nuevo Rosarito, and Villa Jesus María.

It really is best to put away your watch and not look at any clock... Get into the 'Baja Feeling'... eat when you are hungry and sleep when you are tired. Let the journey be as important as the destination during your vacation.

Alm - 10-19-2021 at 03:27 PM

Please remind me people, when coming from the South, that newly constructed gas chamber - the tunnel leading to the border - is it Mexicali West?

Skipjack Joe - 10-19-2021 at 04:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  

Totally agree. Since driving a vehicle is the riskiest activity for most people, I always try to minimize risk when driving whenever possible. And driving at excessive high speed raises risk tremendously. Not for me.

Experience has taught me that disaster can strike at any time - so yes, I am cautious.

Not only is it dangerous it is illegal. 80 mph is 140 kph. I have never seen a speed limit sign anywhere that high in Baja. Speeding tickets are given out. I've received 2. A cop giving a ticket on the stretch between GN and Vizcaino is not an unusual sight. It's becoming more and more common. Every section of that highway has a speed limit. Your chances of not getting caught is excellent in the remote areas but you are breaking the law. Baja has changed over the years and you can't just drive at any speed you wish any more.

Alm - 10-19-2021 at 05:24 PM

The destination was specified - Cabo, as I recall. To get there fast they don't need Mexicali, they need LAX airport. $70 direct flight, takes 3 hours. Or from San Diego.

willardguy - 10-19-2021 at 05:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
The destination was specified - Cabo, as I recall. To get there fast they don't need Mexicali, they need LAX airport. $70 direct flight, takes 3 hours. Or from San Diego.

geezo he never claimed to be in a hurry:rolleyes:

Alm - 10-19-2021 at 07:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

he never claimed to be in a hurry

Something like that. They asked "tell me what the drive time {to GN} is. I have heard it is fast".
This is their 3rd post, never any questions about points of interest.

[Edited on 10-20-2021 by Alm]

mtgoat666 - 10-19-2021 at 08:46 PM

Something like that. They asked "tell me what the drive time {to GN} is. I have heard it is fast".

The guy just wanted to know driving time, and most of what he got was lecture that he should break up the trip into multiple days and observe the speed limit. Why would he bother responding to such unwanted drivel?

Skipjack Joe - 10-20-2021 at 02:35 AM

The guy just wanted to know driving time, and most of what he got was lecture that he should break up the trip into multiple days and observe the speed limit. Why would he bother responding to such unwanted drivel?

Because it's sound advice.

JZ - 10-20-2021 at 06:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Your chances of not getting caught is excellent in the remote areas but you are breaking the law. Baja has changed over the years and you can't just drive at any speed you wish any more.

Has Baja changed or have you changed?

JZ - 10-20-2021 at 06:41 AM

The 5 is much more relaxing than the 1. No little towns to contend with.

When was the last time you actually went to Baja?

mtgoat666 - 10-20-2021 at 07:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

The 5 is much more relaxing than the 1. No little towns to contend with.

When was the last time you actually went to Baja?

Shorty melonhead mcjizzy:
I Went to SPM in September. Got another trip planned for January. flockface: Why the hell do you care what I do?

Skipjack Joe - 10-20-2021 at 11:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Your chances of not getting caught is excellent in the remote areas but you are breaking the law. Baja has changed over the years and you can't just drive at any speed you wish any more.

Has Baja changed or have you changed?

If you had been going to Baja as long as I have you'd know the answer to that.

One thing is clear, though. Your mouth hasn't changed.

[Edited on 10-20-2021 by Skipjack Joe]