BajaNomad

Where is that old Baja road, you ask? (repost from 2003) + Leon Grande Chat

David K - 10-26-2021 at 10:36 AM

posted on 12-13-2003 at 07:48 PM

Where is that old Baja road, you ask?

I am referring to the pre-December, 1973 Baja main road. Everything changed after December 1973 as far as Baja travel and number of visitors.

I was just a kid when my folks and I drove to the tip in 1966 in our Jeep Wagoneer. But, I was already infected with Baja Fever and my favorite book was Gerhard & Gulick's LOWER CALIFORNIA GUIDEBOOK (The Baja Bible). We went to Gonzaga the year before and to L.A. Bay the following year. The next trip down Baja (to Loreto) was in July, 1973. The highway was under construction and I took many notes and mileages as to its location compared with the old road. That July, pavement ended near Mission San Fernando (near El Progreso) and didn't start again until near Punta Prieta (in sections) with solid pavement starting about Villa Jesus Maria. We were on the old road from Agua Dulce (10 miles beyond San Agustin) to almost Laguna Chapala.

The old road locator:

Just past where the highway crosses Arroyo El Rosario is where the old road left the valley using a side canyon, that the new road stays above, just west.

The old road crosses the new and parallels it to the south, Rancho Aguajito and the turquoise mines are along it.

El Progreso was moved north a half mile to the highway from the old road.

The road left to Rancho Penjamo is along the old road, as is Aguila and Guayaquil.

The abandoned Pemex and trailer park 'San Agustin' is a half mile south of the original San Agustin, on the old road, as is Café Sonora a couple miles ahead.

Agua Dulce is off the old road, a couple miles to the left of Km. 157. The old road stays about 1-2 miles east/left of the highway in the La Virgen boulder area. The old road rejoins the highway just before the palapa by the rock art cave, 2 miles before Cataviña.

The highway is next to the old road past San Martin and over to the first little dry lake. At the Pedregoso boulder mountain, the old road went around the west side, whereas the new highway goes around the east side.

At the first sight of the Laguna Chapala valley, the old road continued straight towards the old ranch site, along a little hill just north of the dry lake bed. This section before the ranch was perhaps the worst in all of the Baja road... deep, fine powder Baja dust that would cover your vehicle completely. You would drive blind after fixing onto the trees by Rancho Chapala and hoping for the best! Then, after the ranch, you got to open it up and drive 60 mph on the dry lake to blow a lot of that dust off. That best of the old road only lasted a couple miles, however. That Chapala dust would stay with the Jeep for many car washes over the following years!

The new highway stays to the right of the dust field, along the hill, and to the right (west) of the dry lake. Rancho Chapala moved to the highway and was renamed Nuevo Chapala. The new Chapala to Puerto Calamajué, then on to Gonzaga and San Felipe road was built from from about 1982-87. Coco started his corner after that first section was built.

Both old and new roads come together where you leave the Chapala valley and see that beautiful view of the desert and mountains to the south.

Beyond El Crucero (where the road turns from southeast to south at the base of a hill) both roads are together. In a few miles the old road goes off to the right (west) of the new and parallels it to Punta Prieta.

At Rosarito, the new highway swings west down the arroyo a couple miles then turns south to Guerrero Negro. The old main road went straight south from Rosarito and eventually went to the center of the peninsula at El Arco. Some truckers running supplies to the new town of Guerrero Negro went along the 'coast route', then took desert trails on to San Ignacio. The new highway does the same, passing near Guerrero Negro then swinging to the southeast for San Ignacio. The old road coming south from El Arco joins the new near Vizcaino (a new town since the highway was built).

Vizcaino to San Ignacio finds both routes near each other. San Ignacio to Mulegé, the same.

Along Bahia Concepcion, the old road can be seen in the cliff, right above the water in many places. This was built and maintained by the prisioners of the old territorial prison in Mulegé (closed after the highway was built ending the isolation).

Just south of Bahia Concepcion, the old main road went inland via Comondú where today's highway goes south through Loreto. Both rejoin at Insurgentes. Travelers to Loreto could get to La Paz by driving to San Javier and then on to Santo Domingo on the main road. The road south of Loreto ended at Ligüí.

Pavement in '66 began about 100 miles north of La Paz and ended again, about 10 miles south of La Paz. They were building the new road and we drove on it (unpaved) until past San Bartolo. It was just a two track jeep trail from there to Cabo San Lucas! The new highway stays to the east of Santiago and Miraflores, where the old road naturally went right through these pretty villages...

I hope some of you find this a bit interesting... thank you for allowing me to share from my childhood memories and later observations!

Maps, anyone?

[Edited on 12-10-2021 by David K]

bajaric - 12-6-2021 at 11:47 AM

Quote:

Beyond El Crucero (where the road turns from southeast to south at the base of a hill) both roads are together. In a few miles the old road goes off to the right (west) of the new and parallels it to Punta Prieta.

end quote

I drove on this part of old Hwy. 1 (or part of it) a month or two back. Even in a full sized pickup was scraping across the high centers at a couple of spots, but nothing impossible. No rocks, smooth ride. Saw some nice central desert country east of Mesa EL Leoncito; lots of cardons and other desert fauna.

I wonder how the section of old Hwy 1 that goes from near Villa Jesus Maria down towards El Arco is holding up. I think that may have been a part of some off road races, wonder if these days it drivable in a 2WD truck to El Arco?

100X - 12-6-2021 at 12:00 PM

"Maps, anyone?"

If that is an offer, yes please!

geoffff - 12-6-2021 at 12:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 100X  
"Maps, anyone?"

If that is an offer, yes please!

Yes, this is begging for a map :)

If it would be fun for someone to mark some points into a KMZ or GPX file I am happy to plot them on a map.

-- Geoff

New Hwy. on 1962 Gulick Maps

David K - 12-6-2021 at 04:39 PM

OK, so here we have the four Gulick maps I drew in the new road(s) onto to compare. I did this several years ago, without advanced satellite mapping. Today, maps (like the new Atlas and latest INEGI topos) are near perfect with where the roads are and match up with satellite imagery.

The other areas where Hwy. 1 differs from the old main road, is south of Concepción Bay. The old road to La Paz went through Comondú and the new highway goes through Loreto.

South of La Paz, the new route is a little different as it passes Santiago and Miraflores, to the east. The old road when right through the center of all the towns from Los Barriles to San José del Cabo.

David K - 12-6-2021 at 10:54 PM

Homer Aschmann created this map to illustrate the changes in the transpeninsular road...

Aschmann RoadMap.gif - 24kB

David K - 12-7-2021 at 08:45 AM

Another change not shown by Homer's map, is south of Punta Prieta. The main route forked right to pass closer to the Pacific as far as Miller's Landing (near El Tomatal). By the late 1950s, the more-inland road via Rosarito was the main road.

The 1955 Auto Club map gives equal status to both choices:

You might notice the mistake in the name Rosarito, and the original name for Punta and Bahía Santa Rosalillita...
Once more people were traveling into Baja, after WWII, in order to prevent confusion with the French copper mine and very large town of Santa Rosalía, The 'other Santa Rosalía was changed to Little Santa Rosalía, or in Spanish, Rosalillita.

bajaric - 12-7-2021 at 09:25 AM

This is what happens if you ask DK for a map lol

The Punta Prieta-Santa Rosalillita (then called Santa Rosalia) road was a wagon road put in around 1900 to supply the mines around Punta Prieta, the town. The mines were supplied by sea, because at that time the main north / south route in this area was El Camino Real between San Borja and Calamajue, well to the east. "Hwy 1" did not yet exist.

Hale, traveling south towards Punta Prieta in 1921 saw a well graded "road to nowhere" going north from Punta Prieta. The road terminated abruptly in the middle of the desert. This was probably the initial construction of what we call "Old Highway 1". This is the dirt road that parallels the new paved Highway 1 (1973) just to the west of Parador Punta Prieta.

I took a drive on this section of old highway 1 a couple months ago. The road is actually in pretty good condition, considering it has been abandoned for 50 years.

A couple of pictures: On the second Gulik map from the top, above, this is about at the "L" in Arroyo Leon. These are looking generally west, Mesa el Leoncito and Sierra Columbia in background.

I had hope to go further west towards the Sierra Columbia but I was by myself, and it was pretty hot, and the road got pretty sketchy so turned around. That is a bucket list destination for me but would be better to go with another vehicle in case someone got stuck. very remote area

Old Hwy 1 Sierra Columbia in background

leon grande 015 small.jpg - 204kB

Old Hwy 1 Mesa El Leoncito in background

leon grande 010 small.jpg - 182kB

[Edited on 2-2-2024 by bajaric]

100X - 12-7-2021 at 09:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
This is what happens if you ask DK for a map lol

100X:

This stuff is pretty new to me and I find it very interesting. That the old main road used to go through Comondu amazes me.

Has anyone recently endeavored to follow the old road the entire peninsula? What a great trip that would be!

[Edited on 12-7-2021 by 100X]

David K - 12-7-2021 at 10:01 AM

Have you been to Leon Grande, north of Punta Prieta and west of the transpeninsular roads (old and new)? You can see the road on Google Earth... but cannot see much debris at the site, which is odd for such a well-mentioned mine camp. It is on all the maps from 1919-1941.

The 1941 Auto Road Map (heavy black line) shows Leon Grande and Esperanza gold mines, north of Punta Prieta (where the mill was).

bajaric - 12-7-2021 at 10:39 AM

That is where I was trying to go. Hale described the spring at Leon Grande as near the end of a road that went east towards BOLA, on the eastern edge of the Sierra Columbia.

Maybe we should just go over there and have a look!

100x, the sections of the "old road" that were replaced by the new paved Hwy in 1973 generally became impassable fairly soon due to getting washed out and destroyed if no one maintained them. This section of Old Highway 1 is an exception, probably because it is on a mesa and the area sees very little rainfall.

[Edited on 12-8-2021 by bajaric]

[Edited on 12-8-2021 by bajaric]

David K - 12-7-2021 at 11:36 AM

Hi Ric,
I wish I was traveling with you to search for Leon Grande!

My map showing Leon Grande has a question mark by it... since I was not there or could detect any surface ruins of a mine.

I did place it where the 1971 Geology map puts it and that seemed to be at the end of the dirt road going northward from the village of Punta Prieta (at the end of the short paved exit from Hwy. 1).

On the 1971 map portion here, I have Punta Prieta at the bottom, Desengaño shown, Yubay at the upper right edge, El Crucero (the junction of the gulf road) and Cerrito Blanco at the top, and Los Cordonices (San Antonio) at the upper left.

The dirt roads of 1971 are there, including where you drove. I have found this map pretty accurate in other areas.

David K - 12-7-2021 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
crossed posts. Well, maybe someday amigo. Bear in mind there are two "Leon Grandes", the spring, and the mine, and they may be some distance apart.

Is the spring 'Agua Leon' what you are thinking of? Harald has been playing with its location, I recall?

Maps seem to show it east of Codornices and apears it is south of the auto road... I found no road to it... but just looking casually.

The Goldbaum 1919 map (link on VivaBaja.com) is what Hale had and it shows Agua Leon and Leon Grande... https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/collection/agdm/id/3...

1930 Map has a lot of content, some not placed well. However, Agua Leon is also shown west of Yubay, as on other maps:

[Edited on 12-7-2021 by David K]

4x4abc - 12-7-2021 at 12:57 PM

where do I find Mina El Venado?

4x4abc - 12-7-2021 at 08:02 PM

looks right

4x4abc - 12-8-2021 at 12:05 PM

where do I find Mina El Venado?

bajaric - 12-8-2021 at 02:54 PM

29°01'46"N 114°15'15"W Mina El Venaado, the deer

[Edited on 12-9-2021 by bajaric]

4x4abc - 12-8-2021 at 05:50 PM

Mina El Venado seems to be Mina Leon Grande

here is what I have:

Manantial Agua Leon 29°10'12.62”N, 114°13'45.36"W with road going east

Manantial Las Palomas - Leon Grande 29° 2'37.73”N, 114°16'35.62"W

Manantial (Las Palomas?) 29° 3'40.34”N, 114°17'11.69"W with road going east

Mina Leon Grande 29° 1'43.06”N, 114°15'17.44"W

Mina S/N 29° 1'41.36”N, 114°12'23.34"W

Mina S/N 28°53'51.50”N, 114°15'4.64"W

Mina Colombia 28°56'4.73”N, 114°14'44.87"W

Manantial 29° 6'18.19”N, 114°15'11.12"W

Manantial 29° 7'19.94”N, 114°15'29.47"W

Manantial (Las Palomas?) 29° 8'36.12”N, 114°12'46.79"W

Manantial 29° 9'37.58”N, 114°14'21.14"W

Manantial 29° 9'30.66”N. 114°14'24.83"W

Pozo 29°12'43.45”N, 114°16'9.77"W

Manantial Codornices 29°11'14.51”N, 114°18'1.97"W

[Edited on 12-9-2021 by 4x4abc]

David K - 12-8-2021 at 05:57 PM

Mina = mine
Manantial = Water spring
Pozo = water well

I feel a map is in the works, so Nomads can see where these points are on a single map, without using Google satellite for each one!

4x4abc - 12-9-2021 at 01:03 PM

I have 15 Kilometers between Mina Leon Grande and Agua Leon
3 kilometers between Mina Leon Grande and Agua Las Palomas
both as the crow flies

David K - 12-9-2021 at 01:25 PM

When I zoom in real close, using satellite and INEGI maps:

Leon Grande (mine camp, end of road): 29.0284, -114.2547 or
29°01' 42.3"N, 114°15'16.8" W

Agua Leon (spring, end of road): 29.1705, -114.2294 or
29°10'13.8"N, 114°13'45.8"W

bajaric - 12-9-2021 at 04:58 PM

Let's talk about Leon Grande, the spring. This was a water hole mentioned in Howard Hale's book Long Road to Mulege. Great little book for Baja history buffs.

We can all agree that in 1921 Hale was traveling south on foot from Laguana Chapala with a friend and two burros. They missed the water hole at "Aqua Leon" and continued south where they made a dry camp at the base of the eastern slopes of the Sierra Columbia. Down to their last few sips of water, they heard the faint sound of singing. They went towards the sound until they came upon a Mexican road building crew that were camped at a spring. The spring was called Leon Grande.

Hale described the spring as near the end of a partially built road that went east towards Bahia de Los Angeles.

The next day they traveled 15 km south along a "well defined trail", crossing a wide plain and some low ridges before arriving at a graded road to Punta Prieta.

All of this would indicate that Leon Grande, the spring, is shown by Haralds coordinates for "Manantial Las Palomas - Leon Grande"

[Edited on 12-10-2021 by bajaric]

David K - 12-9-2021 at 05:46 PM

Ric, what do you call this place, then?
29°01' 42.3"N, 114°15'16.8"W

I am hoping geoffff makes a map with all these places with GPS waypoints, so we can be clear on what is what.

Thank you!

geoffff - 12-10-2021 at 09:35 AM

I'm on it :)

geoffff - 12-10-2021 at 12:16 PM

It's plotting some lines for the road route that really interests me, but here is a map of the Mina and Manantial waypoints being discussed above. Click to enlarge:

geoffff - 12-10-2021 at 12:19 PM

Waypoints as Google Earth KMZ:
Manantial-waypoints.kmz

4x4abc - 12-10-2021 at 01:29 PM

sometime after 2005 someone built a field along the Arroyo
29° 9'50.74"N, 114°13'55.28"W
south of Agua Leon

David K - 12-10-2021 at 03:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  
Waypoints as Google Earth KMZ:
Manantial-waypoints.kmz

Thanks Geoffff...

Let me help a bit by sharing some pages from the book, 'Long Walk to Mulegé' by Howard Hale, published in 1980.

The book is about a walk made in 1921 with his navy buddy ('Dinty') and two burros (Whiskey & Mescal)! They were most interested in the missions during their journey, too.

These fellows had met with David Goldbaum, in Ensenada, who mapped the entire north half of the peninsula just a few years earlier.

I will scan the pages from when they left El Mármol until they arrived at Punta Prieta (pages 52-69), both well-known location today. Many of the other places may only be found of Goldbaum's map... but reading the words may help us place these locations on today's maps or sat images.

I am hoping a Nomad with more energy than I (geoffff?) will plot their trail based on the details here. Remember, they had Goldbaum's map (and so do we: https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/collection/agdm/id/3... )

4x4abc - 12-11-2021 at 11:20 AM

what an exciting story!
those guys were all over
I guess in the early years you needed luck on your side to be a pioneer.

I have tried to make sense of their descriptions on Google Earth
now I am lost

the straight track taking off somewhere towards the end is intriguing
I think, I found it.

David K - 12-11-2021 at 12:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
what an exciting story!
those guys were all over
I guess in the early years you needed luck on your side to be a pioneer.

I have tried to make sense of their descriptions on Google Earth
now I am lost

the straight track taking off somewhere towards the end is intriguing
I think, I found it.

*Google Earth lacks place names or historic names. Shows the mountains and arroyos exactly, however.

*Old maps with historic names lack accuracy in placement.

** The fun is combining the two (historic place names and accurate locations). I hope geoffff is having some fun! ;)

David K - 12-11-2021 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lance S.  
Remember Hale was writing from memory some 60 years after the fact. His book was published 9 years after the Goldbaum map was published in Towns of Baja California. Apparently he was using the Goldbaum map to try and reconstruct his journey. The Goldbaum map is sometimes distorted, an east west trail can appear to run north south for instance. Trying to figure out his route may be pointless.

Well, yes... maybe... He may have had the manuscript written years before he actually printed it in 1980?

David K - 12-11-2021 at 03:37 PM

If I don't ask, then maybe Geoffff will...
Thank you.

4x4abc - 12-11-2021 at 07:28 PM

here is what i found

the directions and distances given are very much "mas o menos"
more or less - kinda
very Mexican

Arroyo San Julio is the one going through Catavina
they expected it 60 km to the south

the advice at the rancho past Catavina not to take the open plain route was correct, as there is absolutely no water
BUT - it is going straight (fast) towards where they wanted to be
instead they were sent scrambling over the hills to Las Palmas
that is a tough one

they somehow missed all the dry lakes (Laguna Chapala, Laguna El Islote)
that helped me to determine their route
they also missed the water at Calamajue and some other sources along the way
they made some strange choices

reading this account and knowing where things are makes you squirm in your seat
like reading Graham's first book
you are constantly thinking "Why is he doing that? And not XYZ?"

crossing strong animal tracks is not wise
they always lead to water
well, they missed Agua Leon

loved the mention of the road crew for the German Road
there are indeed remnants of straight shoots to Bahia de los Angeles
plus some ghost lines (I'll explain later what that is)

the account shows how important accurate maps (with correct names) are

if needed, the guys could have followed their burros to water
humans have lost that ability

likely trip below

Attachment: crazy trip.kmz (3kB)
This file has been downloaded 165 times

[Edited on 4-16-2023 by 4x4abc]

4x4abc - 12-11-2021 at 09:34 PM

Valle - Cañada - Cañon - Arroyo - Rio
in that order
Arroyo is the channel the water (Rio) runs in

anyway, the point is that Arroyo San Julio is not 60 km to the south of Catavina

David K - 12-12-2021 at 09:36 AM

Wow, Harald... interesting KMZ map!
So their 'Las Palmas' is what you think is today's 'Las Palmitas just west of Punta Final on the El camino Real? Interesting!

I have been there a couple times, and it is sure tucked into a box canyon... no trail to the west that I could see... and I even hiked beyond the palms looking. Ahhh, but that was eons ago (1999)! LOL

Las Palmitas Oasis (west of Km. 159, today)

4x4abc - 12-12-2021 at 12:28 PM

I put a lot of thought into this

the first rancho the guys ran into is most likely San Ignacito
Santa Ines is also a possibility
their first camp may have been where the Catavina cave is, not the present community. That makes Rancho Santa Ines a possibility

three numbers were given at this location
15 km to Mision Santa Maria (fits Santa Ines and San Ignacito)
20 km for the first leg of the march (fits Santa Ines, not so much San Ignacito)
10 km for the 2nd leg of the march (might fit both as we don't know where this change of direction happened)

at no point any of the dry lakes are crossed/mentioned (Laguna El Caporal, Laguna El Islote, Laguna Chapala) - that means the guys were traveling east of Laguna Chapala

they did not follow the trail To Mision Santa Maria
they would have found water or seen the Mision - they didn't

going towards Pedregal they would have found water before Laguna Chapala
that water hole has no palm trees and they did not cross Chapala

No idea why they did not find water at San Francisquito ot Arrastras and they obviously did not hit Calamajue (they would have found water - even in a bad year)

the route I chose between Laguna Chapala and Calamajue is an established route - today often used by bike groups
I still have it on my calendar to bring a 4x4 through there
looks doable

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 12.32.34 PM copy.jpg - 175kB

[Edited on 12-12-2021 by 4x4abc]

David K - 12-12-2021 at 01:42 PM

I am enjoying this... Maybe when I get a chance, I will print each line with a new direction/ location mention and then we can put a pushpin onto the map of where we think they are?

I have some other projects I am in the middle of, but this is fascinating.

John Harper - 12-12-2021 at 05:57 PM

This is an excellent thread.

John

4x4abc - 12-12-2021 at 07:09 PM

if these guys used the Goldbaum "map" they were definitely effed (David does not like strong words)

several key locations are in the wrong position - all at least a day's walk off
in the old days that could have killed you

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 7.03.06 PM copy.jpg - 147kB

4x4abc - 12-12-2021 at 07:15 PM

around San Borja

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 7.11.14 PM copy.jpg - 194kB

4x4abc - 12-12-2021 at 07:50 PM

Around Las Flores
location way off
whole mountain ranges are miles off, going in the wrong direction
non existing Valleys (LLanos) are placed where mountains are
Arroyos have wrong names and flow in the wrong direction

who was this Goldbaum guy?

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 7.35.07 PM copy.jpg - 132kB

David K - 12-12-2021 at 10:05 PM

No question the map is not all accurate. Many maps over 100 years old cannot be used to navigate today.

The boys in 1921 were not around San Borja or Las Flores.
The map might be a clue to find their route to Punta Prieta and that was my interest in using Goldbaum's map. It does have Agua Leon and Leon Grande, north of Punta Prieta.

mtgoat666 - 12-12-2021 at 10:26 PM

Around Las Flores
location way off
whole mountain ranges are miles off, going in the wrong direction
non existing Valleys (LLanos) are placed where mountains are
Arroyos have wrong names and flow in the wrong direction

who was this Goldbaum guy?

Goldbaum did what he could with what he had. Sketches of wanderings.
The great period of mapping the west took big government topo mapping programs (and science), just like later creation of GPS took big govt (and science).
Sometimes big govt (and science) are great, eh?

[Edited on 12-13-2021 by mtgoat666]

4x4abc - 12-13-2021 at 10:09 AM

Goldbaum's map had a major influence
up until 1955 all other map makers copied his mistakes
1956 Gulick is the first accurate map.

the technology for accurate maps has been around for a long time
but since so few traveled the center of Baja, nobody ever cared to used techniques to put locations on their right place on the map

travel on water has been very important for several hundred years
so accurate maps were needed
the tools were available
and they were used by every captain
that is why you have an accurate coastline of Baja on 1700's Jesuit maps
but the interior of Baja was not documented in detail
survey tools allowed the Jesuits to put their missions and other important places on their maps with an accuracy of a few feet

1849 map below

1849 Pto Escondido map copy.jpg - 43kB

David K - 12-14-2021 at 10:03 AM

Howard Gulick was one of my 'Baja Heroes'...
He inspired me to draw maps and write road logs. I was fortunate to have met him, just prior to our 1966 drive from Tijuana to the tip. He gave my dad the latest tips on the road, camping places, and short cuts.

Howard Gulick was an engineer for the city of Glendale. Walt Wheelock (La Siesta Press) and Andy Anderson were co-workers there with Howard. Baja was a big deal to all three of them.

My dad was Andy Anderson's dentist and Andy turned my dad onto his getting a Jeep Wagoneer to get to the great fishing places in Baja. Andy was a close friend of Howard Gulick and accompanied him on many of Howard's mapping trips in the 50s and 60s.

A 1959 photo at Las Flores of Howard Gulick.

Andy Anderson in 1958 at the future site of Alfonsina's.

I last visited with Andy in 1976. It was at Andy's home that I met Howard Gulick, in 1966. I was almost 9!

See all of Howard's Baja California photos: https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&xf=%7B...

John Harper - 12-14-2021 at 05:04 PM

It sure seems like there is evidence of a much wetter climate in Baja in the past. The number of waterworks, desolate ranchos, and other structures that lie in dried up canyons and valleys today says something for sure.

And, that's just 300 years ago, or less. I've seen a local creek go dry in just the last 10 years, taking a healthy trout population with it. I guess man has always wanted things to stay the same, but they never do.

John

John Harper - 12-14-2021 at 05:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Andy Anderson in 1958 at the future site of Alfonsina's.

Check out the creases on those khakis!!! He'd pass inspection for sure.

John

[Edited on 12-15-2021 by John Harper]

John Harper - 12-14-2021 at 05:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

So true!
Everything changes... there is no 'normal' weather or climate, only that which we experience. Man (and animals) simply adapt, move, or die.

When I was a kid (1960s), and remember different weather patterns; So, was that normal or is the weather we experience now 'normal'? I think that there is no normal, there only is what it is!
:light::cool:

We're the same age. I remember Del Mar flooding in college, late 70's, and taking a canoe from Lake Hodges to the bridge at ECR by the polo fields. That was so rad doing that. We crashed once, going over a weir, but most of it was like Deliverance until we got close to the golf course. Except no hillbillies to worry about running a river through Rancho Santa Fe!

John

David K - 12-15-2021 at 01:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lance S.  
Does the Goldbaum map place Catavina in Catarina's location or does the map actually say Catarina?

Is that a v or an r ?
Is that an accent mark over the n or is it just a line on the map?

The placement of Jaraguay would suggest it says Catavina. I wonder if Goldbaum's mistake came down to misreading an r as a v?

It's evident he got the two places confused because the location is surprisingly accurate for Catarina but the placement of Jaraguay is accurate (kinda) for Catavina.

[Edited on 12-15-2021 by Lance S.]

See for yourself: https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/collection/agdm/id/3...

Santa Catarina and Santa Catarina Landing look correct. Cataviña is a tad north.

Jaraguay is only 11 road miles south of Cataviña, see them both, near the top of the Gulick 1962 map:

[Edited on 12-15-2021 by David K]

4x4abc - 12-15-2021 at 09:44 AM

as I said before - Gulick has the first correct map

David K - 12-15-2021 at 09:53 AM

as I said before - Gulick has the first correct map

Indeed they were!
Every time the road changed direction, Howard would take out his tripod mounted compass, walk several feet away from his Willys Wagon, and take a new reading.
I heard this from Andy Anderson.

The full set of his 1962 maps (Lower California Guidebook 1962-1970 editions) have been connected into one, by our very own 'geoffff':

https://octopup.org/img/media/maps/baja/1967--Lower-Californ...

4x4abc - 12-15-2021 at 10:38 AM

you haven't seen me in action. Whole family is involved

Sama, Gabriela Meche measuring road width .jpg - 153kB

David K - 12-16-2021 at 12:28 PM

Reminds me of the straight roadbed, south from La Prosperidad. I suspect a Boleo road there.

Wait a minute... LOL

4x4abc - 12-16-2021 at 02:13 PM

very likely Boleo

David K - 12-16-2021 at 05:16 PM

Ya, but I was just a bit further down the road from where your lady is measuring its width. I thought that was cool.