BajaNomad

Big rain forecast Dec 23-24. Watch out!

mtgoat666 - 12-22-2021 at 10:44 AM

2 inches in san diego, and even more in Baja…:o:no:

JZ - 12-22-2021 at 10:48 AM

Time to go skiing.

AKgringo - 12-22-2021 at 11:01 AM

The "atmospheric river" that passed over Grass Valley late in October dropped 10 inches in 24 hours! Parts of the Bear River drainage (where my property is} got 12 inches.

The one that is here now won't have as much precipitation, but he snow level will be much lower. As much as eight feet is expected over Donner Summit!

David K - 12-22-2021 at 11:34 AM

Nature is in charge... no amount of taxes will change the climate.
We have only been documenting weather for about 150, which in no way can show the true 'normal' climate or weather... just patterns.

Every 5-10 years it is an extra wet year or two, following 5-10 extra dry years. Remember when all (or a lot of) the Hwy. 1 bridges were washed out? 2010-2011?

Bob and Susan - 12-22-2021 at 12:06 PM

clear and sunny 78 degrees here

JZ - 12-22-2021 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Lol, you just turned it into a 5 page thread once all the climate alarmists who think big government should play nursemaid to us all discover it.

mtgoat666 - 12-22-2021 at 02:27 PM

The scientific literacy of nomads is abysmal!

caj13 - 12-22-2021 at 02:50 PM

We have only been documenting weather for about 150, which in no way can show the true 'normal' climate or weather... just patterns.

Every 5-10 years it is an extra wet year or two, following 5-10 extra dry years. Remember when all (or a lot of) the Hwy. 1 bridges were washed out? 2010-2011?

David - it's clear you have absolutely NO Idea how climate science is done - how data are gathered, how it's analyzed, How models are built, how they are proofed, the various types of models, how the data are validated - the sources of data, etc. you ought to consider stopping yourself from publicly displaying your ignorance because of your political beliefs!

Humans have have undeniably changed the climate -= and they can change it the other way - its not a political argument - its science man - deal with it!

[Edited on 12-22-2021 by caj13]

baja Steve - 12-22-2021 at 03:13 PM

Goo thing we have climate changes. I would not like to be living in the ICE ages

bajafreaks - 12-22-2021 at 03:31 PM

We are flying from Reno to Los Barriles on Christmas day so positive thoughts on the weather okay...

AKgringo - 12-22-2021 at 03:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajafreaks  
We are flying from Reno to Los Barriles on Christmas day so positive thoughts on the weather okay...

Good thing it is not on Christmas eve, that crazy old guy with the reindeer never sticks to a flight plan!

John Harper - 12-22-2021 at 04:05 PM

Yes, he's got Rudolph, but not radar.

John

John Harper - 12-22-2021 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by baja Steve  
Good thing we have climate changes. I would not like to be living in the ICE ages

Indeed! :light:

Baja would be prime real estate, probably lush, green and well watered. A haven for life, as it struggles to survive, even today.

John

[Edited on 12-23-2021 by John Harper]

John Harper - 12-22-2021 at 06:57 PM

Let's just hope we get some rain and snow. We sure need it. As native of Southern California, the fickle rains of winter and green hills of springtime are our brief "seasons." Precious jewels of nature.

John

Ateo - 12-22-2021 at 07:23 PM

I'm headed to the Sisters.........gonna be fun, especially with the dismal surf forecast.

Barry A. - 12-22-2021 at 07:40 PM

The 4-lane Interstate highway between San Diego and the Imperial Valley----1976 and '77 I think, poof, Interstate gone overnite, and almost took the town of Ocatillo with it!!! Weather/Climate-------constantly changes----. It is what it is. I love it!!!

David K - 12-22-2021 at 08:07 PM

That was '76 and Hurricane Kathleen (I think) flash flood. Took out the San Diego & Arizona Eastern Railroad line near Ocotillo, too.

Barry A. - 12-22-2021 at 11:20 PM

Yep, right on David. I think it was Tropical Storm "Doreen" that came thru in "77 doing it's share of damage, tho not as bad as "Kathleen". Exciting times, for sure.

David K - 12-23-2021 at 05:46 AM

You know what I realize, Barry? The older we get, the more 'weather' we experience and the less unusual these extremes in weather become. In fact, periodic extremes in weather seem to be a normal thing!
Merry Christmas!

BajaMama - 12-23-2021 at 06:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Let's just hope we get some rain and snow. We sure need it. As native of Southern California, the fickle rains of winter and green hills of springtime are our brief "seasons." Precious jewels of nature.

John

Finally getting some good rain and snow in NorCal. October was a good start, the hills are a deep emerald green (last year was dismal). 10-12 feet of snow predicted in the upper Sierras, yay. Fingers crossed it keeps up.

We are driving to and from Reno next week, should be exciting going over the pass.

AKgringo - 12-23-2021 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  

We are driving to and from Reno next week, should be exciting going over the pass.

Be sure and carry blankets and cold weather shoes and clothing. A jack-knifed big rig can close that pass in a heartbeat, and it could be hours before it is cleared!

If you are stuck, and run your engine for the heater, make sure your exhaust is flowing freely and not building up a pocket of carbon monoxide for the heater to circulate.

It took me over five hours to get from Donner Summit to Grass Valley once, which should have been less than an hour!

Barry A. - 12-23-2021 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  

Be sure and carry blankets and cold weather shoes and clothing. A jack-knifed big rig can close that pass in a heartbeat, and it could be hours before it is cleared!

If you are stuck, and run your engine for the heater, make sure your exhaust is flowing freely and not building up a pocket of carbon monoxide for the heater to circulate.

It took me over five hours to get from Donner Summit to Grass Valley once, which should have been less than an hour!

It's really not looking good for Donner Pass between SACTO and RENO:

https://www.emergencyemail.org/weathergetWANG1.asp?src=DS.p1...

caj13 - 12-23-2021 at 11:20 AM

You know what I realize, Barry? The older we get, the more 'weather' we experience and the less unusual these extremes in weather become. In fact, periodic extremes in weather seem to be a normal thing!
Merry Christmas!

Hey David, let me know when you figure out the difference between climate and weather. That would be an excellent starting point in your education!

Bajaboy - 12-23-2021 at 03:17 PM

Funny how many deniers follow weather sites and then say the science is bad with regards to climate change. Same scientists:o

Hope you didn't take out a loan for University of Youtube:biggrin:

Barry A. - 12-23-2021 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Funny how many deniers follow weather sites and then say the science is bad with regards to climate change. Same scientists:o

Hope you didn't take out a loan for University of Youtube:biggrin:

I am not a "denier", but-----. My understanding is there are "Climatologists" and there are "Meteorologists" ---------2 different professions. "Weather" is predicted short-term by Meteorologists (sp?). Climatologists are more concerned with very long-term Climate trends, and study long-term trends over thousands and millions of years as determined by evidence available. (-:

John Harper - 12-24-2021 at 06:00 AM

1.1" so far in Carlsbad, as of 5AM Friday morning.

John

Bajaboy - 12-24-2021 at 09:35 AM

Ahhh, the Christmas joy on Baja Nomad! :rolleyes:

You left the floater in the bowl:light:

John Harper - 12-24-2021 at 09:46 AM

1.25" of rain so far, Carlsbad, 8:45AM

mtgoat666 - 12-24-2021 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Ahhh, the Christmas joy on Baja Nomad! :rolleyes:

You left the floater in the bowl:light:

A small-talk thread about the weather went off the rails when dk went political on post 4 (look quick, dk will go back and delete evidence of his war on xmas :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: )

David K - 12-24-2021 at 10:00 AM

It wasn't political, it was truth. You can't pay for a different climate unless it is to move yourself to one!

David K - 12-25-2021 at 08:50 AM

A beautiful, blue sky on Christmas Morning, here in Palm Desert at my in-laws.

AKgringo - 12-25-2021 at 08:59 AM

Chain control is in effect over Donner Summit this morning. It was shut down off and on yesterday due to spin outs and traffic jams caused by them.

Stay tuned, more snow is on the way, with the forecast snow level going down to as low as 1000 feet tomorrow!

John Harper - 12-25-2021 at 09:20 AM

1.5" and counting.

John

Bajaboy - 12-25-2021 at 09:58 AM

sunny and 70 degrees...water temp is 67

Glidergeek - 12-25-2021 at 10:54 AM

By golly the climate changed for sure. Cold here in Hesperia Merry Christmas everyone. My weather station here at L26 was 40' last night, last storm brought 1.14' rain no snow yet. Stay dry everyone.

John Harper - 12-25-2021 at 11:22 AM

I assume bajaboy is in Asunción? Where are you, John?

Carlsbad, a couple blocks from the beach.

John

David K - 12-25-2021 at 12:15 PM

I assume bajaboy is in Asunción? Where are you, John?

Carlsbad, a couple blocks from the beach.

John

Ahhh, 1.5" of rain. We live just northeast of you, near Bonsall & Fallbrook.

I-80 closed!

AKgringo - 12-25-2021 at 02:48 PM

From Colfax, to the Nevada state line, I-80 is closed due to heavy snow and near zero visibility!

I have not heard what the rainfall here in Grass Valley has been, but based on conditions here at my house, and the flooding creeks, I am guessing three or four inches minimum!

David K - 12-26-2021 at 08:31 AM

Good morning from Palm 🏜️ Desert!;
Clear blue skies, wind from the east, snow on the mountain.
Will be driving home today and getting back to work on the new Viva Baja.com edits.

chippy - 12-26-2021 at 08:39 AM

DK, Merry xmas! Hey being someone whos´whole world revolves around Baja are you ever going back? This is not meant as a insult.

David K - 12-26-2021 at 09:00 AM

Oh, I sure hope so!
I would like a quick refresher trip for the road guide before it gets published, but I do hate camping when it's cold.
Shell Island is on the wish list for the summer... maybe Bahía Concepción, too?

Hwy. 5, south of Gonzaga: Last on it in May 2019, with 20 miles unfinished or detoured.

Bahía Tortugas Highway: Last on it in June 2017, with 9 miles unpaved.

Hwy. 3 from Ojos Negros to the original Laguna Hanson route, recently blocked closed at the highway.

Quick check for any changes on other roads.

Anything else I should do?
Merry Christmas to you, too!

[Edited on 12-26-2021 by David K]

mtgoat666 - 12-26-2021 at 09:07 AM

Just do it!

Use it or lose it!

Less talk, more action!

chippy - 12-26-2021 at 09:15 AM

Oh, I sure hope so!
I would like a quick refresher trip for the road guide before it gets published, but I do hate camping when it's cold.
Shell Island is on the wish list for the summer... maybe Bahía Concepción, too?

Hwy. 5, south of Gonzaga: Last on it in May 2019, with 20 miles unfinished or detoured.

Bahía Tortugas Highway: Last on it in June 2017, with 9 miles unpaved.

Hwy. 3 from Ojos Negros to the original Laguna Hanson route, recently blocked closed at the highway.

Quick check for any changes on other roads.

Merry Christmas to you, too!

[Edited on 12-26-2021 by David K]

Sounds good amigo! I´m heading up in Feb. and want to check out some new (to me) stuff.

I want to back door Agua Verde, check out Timbabiche area and go to 3 Virgenes/Boca san Carlos/Santa Ana area + fish some new beaches on the Pacific.

Happy New Year!!!

David K - 12-26-2021 at 10:06 AM

Oh boy, I would like to see the San Carlos road and where Padre Consag left to sail up to the Colorado Delta, again proving that California was not an island!

Lost Roadie - 12-26-2021 at 06:03 PM

I clicked on this thread thinking is was 2 pages of pertinent, on topic, Baja related talk and reports of the rain system that is effecting the area… again I was sucked into BS.

This thread is a perfect example of the regular chit stirrers who immediately bring politics and non-sense into a thread, which inevitably devolves into what is shown here.

Trolls and bait.

Also a perfect example of the serious lack of moderation here and a very poorly run forum with so much potential.
No wonder people put up with FB to get their Baja online fix and join here, ask a few questions and then move on.
I’ve owned and moderated a few forums with much more traffic and would have got the ban-hammer out long ago. Even asked for help when obviously needed.

The way I see it having clear rules, not the laughable generic lawyer speak this place has and actually enforcing it to small number of people who ruin threads would make bajanomads a far more inviting online community. Most of the regular offenders in question should be banned, regardless of their contributions when they are on their meds or in a good mood to create a far greater community.
Certainly the future of this forum is at stake.
Kind of sad really.

I come here to explore, learn and get away from the extremist BS going in the USA from either “side”.
It’s obvious I shouldn’t bother spending any of my time contributing to a forum that wont even do a bare minimum to keep things civil and on topic.

JDCanuck - 12-27-2021 at 07:23 AM

It's certainly been an interesting fall and winter. Up here, record precipitation following 2 years of unusually dry weather, record low temps following increasingly warmer weather. In BCS it looks like it will also be an unusually high precipitation year. Are the water issues in California more related to lack of conservation and use or lack of precipitation?
Rainwater capture, treatment and storage from newly hardened surfaces in La Paz seems unheard of, yet people are struggling to get water for residential use as more and more demand shows up.
I prefer sensible adaptation to weather extremes and we have barely scratched the surface of what can be done. People continue to build increasingly in flood zones and then wonder why they get flooded out in extreme 100 year events. Engineers continue to design to barely meet the present averages to save money and no longer allow for extremes. The Romans knew far better it seems.

mtgoat666 - 12-27-2021 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
It's certainly been an interesting fall and winter. Up here, record precipitation following 2 years of unusually dry weather, record low temps following increasingly warmer weather. In BCS it looks like it will also be an unusually high precipitation year. Are the water issues in California more related to lack of conservation and use or lack of precipitation?
Rainwater capture, treatment and storage from newly hardened surfaces in La Paz seems unheard of, yet people are struggling to get water for residential use as more and more demand shows up.
I prefer sensible adaptation to weather extremes and we have barely scratched the surface of what can be done. People continue to build increasingly in flood zones and then wonder why they get flooded out in extreme 100 year events. Engineers continue to design to barely meet the present averages to save money and no longer allow for extremes. The Romans knew far better it seems.

Agree with you that people should not build in flood plains.

I do not agree with designing drainage conveyance to greater than 100-year storm flow.

Hire good engineers and contractors. If you choose lowest bid, you get what you pay for.

JDCanuck - 12-27-2021 at 09:35 AM

Agree with you that people should not build in flood plains.

I do not agree with designing drainage conveyance to greater than 100-year storm flow.

Hire good engineers and contractors. If you choose lowest bid, you get what you pay for.

[/rquote]

It used to be common among Engineers to design for the worst possible known conditions and then add in a safety factor of 30 to 50%. These are the factors I continued to use when I designed a system in my field. Sadly, for cost reduction reasons I have observed safety factors have taken a back seat to limiting costs, resulting in a much higher failure rate of installations. Our local area designed dikes and pumping systems to allow people to build in flood zones never before used due to the risks of flooding. When one of the two pumps failed in a 100 year extreme event, the area was drastically overwhelmed with flooding. In the past, there would have commonly been 3 to 4 pumps of similar size to allow for unexpected failures.
Just barely good enough has become the new standard it seems.

JDCanuck - 12-27-2021 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Not everywhere.

Consider the SpaceX projects. Or the Webb Telescope. Consider the number of things that could go wrong with those operations. That usually don't.

Engineering a fair sight beyond "barely good enough".

More like "wizardry". :o

Good points! I really need to focus more on where we are excelling and less on where we are failing. I'm beginning to sound like one of those complaining old codgers I used to laugh at. A good New Years resolution for me i think.

John Harper - 12-27-2021 at 12:24 PM

As much as we conserve water, the approval of more and more housing developments goes on and on. They just approved a huge development north of Lost Angeles in the old Fort Tejon area.

Also, there is a tremendous misallocation of water to agricultural uses, subsidized by all of us.

There are several good books about water in CA. "Cadillac Desert" and "Water and Power", as well as "The King of California" can provide some background to why "whisky is for drinking, water is for fighting" came to be a common phrase in the Southwest.

John

[Edited on 12-27-2021 by John Harper]

JDCanuck - 12-27-2021 at 12:52 PM

John: Any ideas how you can adapt in advance to what appears to be a growing concern in California? Up here we more and more commonly recycle residential waste water for irrigation and also more and more people are installing residential rainwater collection systems for irrigation. We still have lots of excess water supplies from the municipal system, but a lot of people are investing in future shortages in advance. I can't think of anything more concerning than water shortages.
1 1/2 inches of rain across a 2000 sq ft rooftop is a lot of water to dump down a drain.

[Edited on 12-27-2021 by JDCanuck]

John Harper - 12-27-2021 at 05:20 PM

IDK. I guess it depends on whether storage, or recycling, or even desal is economically feasible. I'm against more dams on rivers, but maybe use isolated dry canyons (not watersheds) to create reservoirs. They did that about 10 years ago here in San Diego North County. Hardly anyone even remembers it's there now. Once it's pumped in, gravity can recover some of the lost energy with some small hydrostations on the delivery drop, as they do with the Los Angeles aqueduct.

But, I assume any feasible dry canyon in CA has already been mapped and evaluated. Lots of state, private, and federal land here in California as well, so many "stakeholders" in any decisions.

Recycled water is abundant, we have it in my city. Unfortunately, it gets branded "toilet to tap" and the irrational fear campaigns begin agianst using it as drinking water. I have read that we actually dump a lot of recycled water because of this irrational fear of using it domestically. Good Lord, what an idiocracy we live in.

Some things never change. Fear always works.

John

[Edited on 12-28-2021 by John Harper]

JDCanuck - 12-28-2021 at 01:51 PM

John: Norway took advantage of all those fjords to get to where they are on hydro. Widening rivers here or raising lakes by even 1 yard to produce hydro has become a big no-no so other than the excess hydro we have presently and ship to the US grid under the old agreements now expired, new hydro has hit a standstill. Environmentalists are now demanding we start restricting the present hydro power sold to US rather than develop more.

Its a lot easier in Mexico to retain softer rain water as no one trusts the municipal water for drinking anyway and bottled water has been kept extremely cheap. I'm surprised it hasn't been more widely used til now on a larger scale. A whole lot of erosion in rainy season could be avoided by installing proper storm drains and capture systems.

Desal is a mixed benefit as the returned effluent from filters is super concentrated and has its detractors also, but may actually be the cheapest if you are coastal.

John Harper - 12-28-2021 at 03:45 PM

The problem with hydro and dams on rivers in the West is anadromous fish populations. Steelhead and salmon runs have been decimated. I may be biased, but a sustainable commercial and recreational fishing industry would provide more economic boost to local economies than corporate farms in the Central Valley.

Yes, like I said in another post about Mexico's oil/gas issues. It's easier to have small local water purifying stores than construct a massive water system like we did in California. And, point of delivery purifiers might be the way to go, no reliance on the bigger system.

I think mass produced water purification systems have probably taken a lot of stress off healthcare systems in less developed countries. I think cholera and dysentery are still up there with malaria as major killers.

John

[Edited on 12-28-2021 by John Harper]

JDCanuck - 12-28-2021 at 08:20 PM

We have opted for rainwater capture and storage from all hardened surfaces (roofs, patios, driveways) in Pacific BCS, engineered septic recovery for irrigation, solar water heating, TAC water conditioning for the very hard well water, and a fairly large solar power system for energy needs. All this combined was not cheap and increased the overall building costs by about 20%. Still, I feel it was worth it for the increased independence it provides...we'll see.

John Harper - 12-29-2021 at 05:59 AM

We have opted for rainwater capture and storage from all hardened surfaces (roofs, patios, driveways) in Pacific BCS, engineered septic recovery for irrigation, solar water heating, TAC water conditioning for the very hard well water, and a fairly large solar power system for energy needs. All this combined was not cheap and increased the overall building costs by about 20%. Still, I feel it was worth it for the increased independence it provides...we'll see.

Very impressive and comprehensive system, sounds like you've done your homework. Perhaps new home designs can start to incorporate rain and graywater recovery systems as well as some rooftop solar. I think here in Southern California there is a lot of resistance from the big power and water utilities.

John

JDCanuck - 12-29-2021 at 10:04 AM

California seems to be the first place both those would be put in place. Solar because of the availability and also high demand periods lining up. Rainwater capture just seems a natural solution to offset declining supplies. Unlike BCS there are already big subsidies available there to make the extra costs far less painful. I've also read quite a few municipalities are now outlawing softeners because of the water wastage they create and pushing TAC conditioning as an alternate solution.
Last three years in US new utility power sources have been particularly encouraging as solar and wind increasingly took the lead and even nat gas generation installations fell way off.
Up here Transalta, our biggest power utility in Alberta just completed the conversion from coal to nat gas at their power plants resulting in a 50% reduction in CO2 9 years ahead of schedule, and shut others down while building wind power alternatives so progress is being made.

[Edited on 12-29-2021 by JDCanuck]

shari - 12-29-2021 at 01:50 PM

We are prepping for a good soaking here in Bahia Asuncion starting tonight perhaps and looks like an all day rain tomorrow but clearing on Friday for New Years festivities. Good thing is not much wind with it and the wild flowers will explode!
Maybe a good day to stay put and not be on the roads. Looks like heavy rain for Abreojos tomorrow afternoon!

LancairDriver - 12-29-2021 at 07:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Not everywhere.

Consider the SpaceX projects. Or the Webb Telescope. Consider the number of things that could go wrong with those operations. That usually don't.

Engineering a fair sight beyond "barely good enough".

More like "wizardry". :o

Speaking of the Webb telescope, the first photos are starting to come in.

3EE1DEC1-4FF7-45AA-A02B-A5CC9AC023A1.jpeg - 42kB

Holy crap, this storm hit hard!

AKgringo - 12-30-2021 at 05:39 PM

I am sure that some of you are aware of the snowfall on Donner summit, but just west of there in Grass Valley, we got hammered!

I have seen more snow than this in the past, but never so much damage from fallen and broken trees. I have had no power at my house since Christmas night, and all of the places that I would usually go for public WIFI were also shut down! Comcast is finally on line at the Raley's market near me, so I can catch up a little.

I have family down from Alaska, but they did not bring winter clothing to California, so it has been a challenge. Fortunately, I have a wood stove for heat, a gas fired water heater and stove, but it has been a challenge cooking and cleaning for eight people with no electricity!

I will have to catch up on more later, since I am on a pizza run right now. Stores and restaurants are just now able to open up again, so no cooking and cleaning tonight!

mtgoat666 - 12-30-2021 at 06:02 PM

I am sure that some of you are aware of the snowfall on Donner summit, but just west of there in Grass Valley, we got hammered!

I have seen more snow than this in the past, but never so much damage from fallen and broken trees. I have had no power at my house since Christmas night, and all of the places that I would usually go for public WIFI were also shut down! Comcast is finally on line at the Raley's market near me, so I can catch up a little.

I have family down from Alaska, but they did not bring winter clothing to California, so it has been a challenge. Fortunately, I have a wood stove for heat, a gas fired water heater and stove, but it has been a challenge cooking and cleaning for eight people with no electricity!

I will have to catch up on more later, since I am on a pizza run right now. Stores and restaurants are just now able to open up again, so no cooking and cleaning tonight!

With anthropogenic global warming causing so many extremes, best become Mormon-like and stash food in the basement to provide care for ourselves and our neighbors in the upcoming frequent natural disasters…

David K - 12-30-2021 at 06:27 PM

I wish we had global warming! Everything improves with warmer climate/ weather/ whatever. Freeeking cold now! Give me summer, all year long!! LOL:light:

RFClark - 12-30-2021 at 06:35 PM

Not bad for “the worst drought in recorded history”! The Governor of California (US) was on TV a month or so ago quoting his “experts” on the continuing drought! It pretty much hasn't stopped raining and snowing since then! California snow pack is about 170% of normal!

You might want to consider their accuracy on things you can’t easily check based on the things you can see for yourself! Things like rain and snow! You might also consider that these same people let millions move into a desert without building the necessary infrastructure to support the millions!

Barry A. - 12-30-2021 at 06:35 PM

Shoot, Mt. Goat---------I been storing emergency food and water for decades------you know, "just in case".
barry

JDCanuck - 12-30-2021 at 09:06 PM

Barry: As did my grandparents prior to the dustbowl years. They had to rely on their own stored supplies, couldn't blame the government when things turned bad on them and they were caught short. We finally filled in the original water cistern back in 1968 after we expanded the well supply.

JDCanuck - 12-30-2021 at 09:25 PM

They still don't have agreement on what caused the centuries long little ice age, but the most commonly accepted presently is unusual volcanic action. Could this be behind this recent unusually cold year across the northern hemisphere or is it solar activity as many others think? Coincidentally, it also contained the worst pandemic plague period ever recorded.

Bajaboy - 12-31-2021 at 08:45 AM

It poured here in Bahia Asuncion last night. I'm certain the arroyos are flooded. I've never seen or heard of it raining so hard for so long here.

David K - 12-31-2021 at 09:24 AM

From Graham on the east side of Isla Angel de la Guarda, at 7:15 this morning:

Message: Forecast right. Started rain at 10 pm. rain all night. Heavy at times. Rocks falling. Glad I was prepared. Thanks amigo. Hope clears soon.

phmilo - 12-31-2021 at 05:30 PM

We were in BOLA last night. Major storm most of the night starting right about 10 pm. Driving North today there was a lot of standing water, and rock slides. The arroyos were clear though.

[Edited on 1-1-2022 by phmilo]

RFClark - 12-31-2021 at 07:08 PM

.76” of rain from yesterdays storm at our place south of San Felipe. Not much runoff! It’s going to be another great wildflower year! We’ve had an inch of rain in December!

AKgringo - 12-31-2021 at 07:37 PM

Over 200 inches of snow fell on Donner Summit this month!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/28/us/california-december-snow-r...

RFClark - 12-31-2021 at 08:01 PM

Just posted:

High wind and snow warning for the mountains in Northern Baja!

1537CF5A-716A-47DE-BB69-C2A03854D07E.jpeg - 321kB

KurtG - 1-2-2022 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Not bad for “the worst drought in recorded history”! The Governor of California (US) was on TV a month or so ago quoting his “experts” on the continuing drought! It pretty much hasn't stopped raining and snowing since then! California snow pack is about 170% of normal!

You might want to consider their accuracy on things you can’t easily check based on the things you can see for yourself! Things like rain and snow! You might also consider that these same people let millions move into a desert without building the necessary infrastructure to support the millions!

It is important to note that the 170% refers to normal for this point in the season, not for the winter's total. Here on the Central Coast we are a couple of inches ahead of normal but that will mean nothing unless a wet winter continues. Fingers crossed that it does but far too early to say drought is over.

John Harper - 1-2-2022 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

It is important to note that the 170% refers to normal for this point in the season, not for the winter's total. Here on the Central Coast we are a couple of inches ahead of normal but that will mean nothing unless a wet winter continues. Fingers crossed that it does but far too early to say drought is over.

I recall many years when it was virtually dry from January to late March or even April, which dimmed early seasonal expectations after heavy snowfall. Let's not count our chickens too soon.

John

[Edited on 1-3-2022 by John Harper]

AKgringo - 1-2-2022 at 06:50 PM

I recall many years when it was virtually dry from January to late March or even April, which dimmed early seasonal expectations after heavy snowfall. Let's not count our chickens too soon.

Boom, or bust is the nature of rain or snow totals in the Sierra Nevada range. An "average" year is actually not normal!

Five years ago, we had so much snow that my ski area was able to open up for the 4th of July, and the next year they were never able to open the full mountain!

The power is still out on my street, so it will be at least seven nights with no electricity. While this type of storm is uncommon, it is no worse than many I have seen here before over the years.

The infrastructure of our county has many older power lines that have remained mostly unchanged, while the trees next to the lines have been allowed to become huge, old growth hazards, mixed with clusters of undergrowth trees trying to outgrow each other.

If anybody really feels like hugging a tree, they are laying everywhere up here! It is a forest management issue more than climate change.

BajaParrothead - 1-2-2022 at 07:46 PM

Boom, or bust is the nature of rain or snow totals in the Sierra Nevada range. An "average" year is actually not normal!

Five years ago, we had so much snow that my ski area was able to open up for the 4th of July, and the next year they were never able to open the full mountain!

The power is still out on my street, so it will be at least seven nights with no electricity. While this type of storm is uncommon, it is no worse than many I have seen here before over the years.

The infrastructure of our county has many older power lines that have remained mostly unchanged, while the trees next to the lines have been allowed to become huge, old growth hazards, mixed with clusters of undergrowth trees trying to outgrow each other.

If anybody really feels like hugging a tree, they are laying everywhere up here! It is a forest management issue more than climate change.

AK, I'm just over the hill from you in Plumas county and we had that heavy wet stuff a week prior to yours. I've never seen trees just topple mid way up like they did this year.

My son-in-law is a lineman for our local electrical utility co-op and he logged 82 hours OT in a 10 day period. But, our lights were never off for more than five hours!

[Edited on 1-3-2022 by BajaParrothead]

JZ - 1-2-2022 at 08:28 PM

Hopefully CA will spend some of the billions they will get for infrastructure on fixing some of the issues.

Skipjack Joe - 1-3-2022 at 02:02 AM

What a downpour in Agua Verde! The roof of my camper was being hammered all night. I was worried about flash flooding but it never happened. There are a few more rocks on the road above Los Cosimo but nothing you can't drive around. All is drying out again. The vegetation looked like it needed the water. The Palo Blancos were all leafless.

DosMars - 1-4-2022 at 11:22 AM

We got steady rain in Las Animas a couple of nights. Stayed nice and dry in the two Sportsmobiles that came :bounce:; tent and cot campers not so much...:no:

All in all, a beautiful trip! So nice to be inside bundled up and listening to the rain come down reading a good book and sipping on a cup of coffee. No dust on the road home was another huge plus! Will have to eventually wash off all the mud from the rig -kids made me hit every big puddle on the way back into town...

I got the power!

AKgringo - 1-4-2022 at 03:50 PM

I drove out to my property to check for storm damage, but there is still too much snow to drive through it. When I got back home, the power crews had repaired the line serving my street!

It is mid way through day ten, the longest outage my family has ever experienced here since my dad bought the house in 1947. There have been many storms with much more snow, but the extent of damaged, and downed trees in this event has never been seen before!

I am sure that some of the more rural roads are as much as a week away from energizing the main lines.

100X - 1-4-2022 at 04:18 PM

Montana has/gets a lot of weather too, and trees.

In the summer it can get pretty smokey, but that is usually from fires in other states.

Montana is pretty active in thinning out its forests (not talking about commercial logging), including National Forests, focusing on culling diseased trees and overgrown understory.

This also keeps the bark beetle infestations in check, makes the forests more pleasant/accessible to use, and extreme cold or wind events do not cause as much trouble with downed trees.

Old growth redwood forests do much the same thing, on their own, by keeping new growth in check. However, in most parts of the west, including Montana, old growth is mostly a thing of the past, and active forest management benefits all.

John Harper - 1-4-2022 at 04:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 100X  
Montana has/gets a lot of weather too, and trees.

In the summer it can get pretty smokey, but that is usually from fires in other states.

Montana is pretty active in thinning out its forests (not talking about commercial logging), including National Forests, focusing on culling diseased trees and overgrown understory.

This also keeps the bark beetle infestations in check, makes the forests more pleasant/accessible to use, and extreme cold or wind events do not cause as much trouble with downed trees.

Old growth redwood forests do much the same thing, on their own, by keeping new growth in check. However, in most parts of the west, including Montana, old growth is mostly a thing of the past, and active forest management benefits all.

Yes, you see the same in the Mammoth area as well.

John