BajaNomad

Whale Watching and Camping Laguna Ojo de Liebre Campground

bajajoaquin - 12-27-2021 at 03:18 PM

I’m looking at a whale watching trip this March and a friend recommended going to Laguna Ojo de Liebre Campground and then taking the whale watching tours that depart from next to there. Google maps shows the museum, but not the name of the tour company. Can someone help with that?

Any other opinions Of camping/whale watching there?

Bajaboy - 12-27-2021 at 03:32 PM

You buy your tickets at the museum. Lots of fun and highly recommended.

mtgoat666 - 12-27-2021 at 03:38 PM

For drive-in self-camping, check out san ignacio lagoon and kuyima. SIL is a less developed and less industrial than guerrero negro. More natural setting at SIL.

[Edited on 12-27-2021 by mtgoat666]

pjpvi - 12-27-2021 at 05:38 PM

My wife and I camped there and took an early whale watching trip. It was great. You pay for camping at the parking lot where the museum is and where the boats leave in the morning then drive following the coast to find a camp spot. They have several large and walled palapas to camp at with outhouses within walking distance. We stayed at one of those but wish we had driven further up around the corner (you'll know when you get there) as there were camping areas with spectacular views of the bay. It was a very windy evening though and the walled palapa was appreciated before we went in the van for the evening.

You can see the palapa and some of the whale watching trip we took in my video here. Palapa we camped at starts at 1:30 on the video. We had a spectacular day on the water there. Early morning trip had very calm water.

Enjoy!

advrider - 12-28-2021 at 09:16 AM

Shari on this form run's tours out of GN, we are going to try them this year. Google whale magic tours, lots of options. I've gone out of SI lagoon a few times and really enjoyed it.

4x4abc - 12-28-2021 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
For drive-in self-camping, check out san ignacio lagoon and kuyima. SIL is a less developed and less industrial than guerrero negro. More natural setting at SIL.

[Edited on 12-27-2021 by mtgoat666]

San Ignacio lagoon and Ojo de Liebre are both as primitive as it gets.

some camps at SIL have hot showers - ODL does not

ODL is a much shorter drive than SIL on a bad, rattly road
ODL road is better maintained as well

both areas are cold, foggy, windy - none of them offer pleasant camping experiences
but you are there for the whales

4x4abc - 12-28-2021 at 10:04 AM

get the earliest boat ride possible
meaning less wind
meaning better whale viewing experience

whale watching airbnb copy.jpg - 76kB

100X - 12-28-2021 at 10:09 AM

What a picture!