BajaNomad

Vaquita

gringorio - 1-5-2022 at 08:00 PM

Vaquita

I was there as drone operator. Such a sad state of affairs... The Zero Tolerance Area was filled with pangas and nets. The pangueros didn't care and the Mexican government outright ignored the violations...

[Edited on 1-6-2022 by gringorio]

mtgoat666 - 1-5-2022 at 08:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gringorio  
Vaquita

I was there as drone operator. Such a sad state of affairs... The Zero Tolerance Area was filled with pangas and nets. The pangueros didn't care and the Mexican government outright ignored the violations...

[Edited on 1-6-2022 by gringorio]

The narcos infiltrated that fishing area, the whole fishing industry in that area. The govt walked away rather than fight the cartel.
Watch out!
The narcos are winning, expanding, the govt is letting narcos do what they want.

100X - 1-5-2022 at 10:05 PM

From the site referenced:

Zero Tolerance Area (ZTA) declared in Mexico’s Federal Register of September 24, 2020 as an area defined as follows: Fishing activities of any kind, with any type of vessel, including sport fishing, are permanently and totally prohibited within the “Zero Tolerance Area”. No type of vessel will be allowed to transit or navigate in this area, unless the vessel is authorized to transit, in writing

Although some may like an "all or nothing" approach, with us/them getting the "all" (everything we want and nothing for the other side), it doesn't always work out for the best in the end.

I have been pulling for the little Vaquita for several years. Too bad the parties could not come to a workable compromise considering all affected parties (not referring to the cartels).