BajaNomad

Turkish influence in Baja/Mexico

BajaBlanca - 1-15-2022 at 03:40 PM

My neighbor Linda was so excited when I told her we were going to Turkey (not so excited when we decided to permanently move there) because she follows a vlog by a Mexican woman named Gris who videos about her family life in Istanbul.

Gris Aminah en Turquia

VLOG which I guess is a video log rather than a blog

I have watched some of her videos and they are a bit lengthy and boring but what a small world, that my neighbor would be her fan!

Then, just the other day, one of my ex students from La Bocana posted a meme said "that you better spend quality time with you Mom now before she starts watching Turkish novelas."

She went on to say that she herself had become her mother and loved a certain novela. I asked which one? HERCAI is the one she mentioned. I shall have to jump on this soon. I, being a good Brazilian, love a good novela or soap opera like no one else.

We live in a small world. If you have a Turkey story, please tell me!

David K - 1-15-2022 at 03:44 PM

Every Thanksgiving! :light::biggrin:

BajaBlanca - 1-16-2022 at 07:43 PM

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

AKgringo - 1-17-2022 at 07:52 AM

Is there a "Cabo Pabo"? :?:

Howard - 1-17-2022 at 11:26 AM

Ya learn something different every day!

I was always under the impression that pavo was the turkey meat and guajolotes was the actual bird. Shows what I know. When I go to the deli market down here I would ask for pavo for my sandwhiches.

BajaBlanca - 1-17-2022 at 03:44 PM

That is so interesting!

David K - 1-17-2022 at 03:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Ya learn something different every day!

I was always under the impression that pavo was the turkey meat and guajolotes was the actual bird.

That was how my friends from Oaxaca explained it to me. The same way we use the word 'pork' vs. saying 'pig', when we eat that animal.