BajaNomad

Ah, those corrections!

lencho - 1-24-2022 at 07:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  

I hope it's the library because this will be the first and only time I can use the phrase we all had to learn....."donde es bibliocteca?"

Since you are only going to say this once, I suggest you use “Donde esta la bibliotheca?”
👍

Observe, o foreros, and decide what's crazier, that Goat shows up Santiago by correcting him... with a "correction" which itself has no less than four errors in the Spanish?

Or that Bob praises Goat's "helpfulness"? :light:

Or that I post this comment? :rolleyes:

Gotta say, in spite of any complaints I may vent about this place, it's indubitably entertaining. :lol:

[Edited on 1-25-2022 by lencho]

pacificobob - 1-25-2022 at 07:32 AM

Your including an inverted question mark in your list of errors? Jeez...🤔 I'd wager you may at one time have omitted punctuation.

[Edited on 1-25-2022 by pacificobob]

David K - 1-25-2022 at 08:34 AM

What is the world coming to?
Yesterday, I didn't even bother to correct a Nomad's spelling of 'Guerro' to Guerrero (Negro)!
LOL

pauldavidmena - 1-25-2022 at 08:54 AM

I have a weekly intercambio with my Spanish teacher via Zoom. When one of us needs further clarification, we use Zoom chat, but my U.S. keyboard doesn't easily accommodate accented vowels, or the letter "ñ", making it occasionally confusing - or comical.

David K - 1-25-2022 at 10:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
I have a weekly intercambio with my Spanish teacher via Zoom. When one of us needs further clarification, we use Zoom chat, but my U.S. keyboard doesn't easily accommodate accented vowels, or the letter "ñ", making it occasionally confusing - or comical.

Have you tried holding down the Alt key and pressing 164 to get an ñ ?
Another version is Alt + 0241 to get ñ

Letter Letter Type Alt Code
¡ Inverted Exclamation Point... 0161
¿ Inverted Question Mark...... 0191
Á Uppercase Accent Acute.... 0193
É Uppercase Accent Acute..... 0201
Í Uppercase Accent Acute.... 0205
Ñ Uppercase Ligature.......... 0209
Ó Uppercase Accent Acute.... 0211
Ú Uppercase Accent Acute.... 0218
Ü Uppercase Accent Diaeresis 0220
á Lowercase Accent Acute..... 0225
é Lowercase Accent Acute.... 0233
í Lowercase Accent Acute.... 0237
ñ Lowecase Ligature.......... 0241
ó Lowercase Accent Acute.... 0243
ú Lowercase Accent Acute.... 0250
ü Lowercase Accent Diaeresis 0252

pauldavidmena - 1-25-2022 at 10:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
...my U.S. keyboard doesn't easily accommodate accented vowels, or the letter "ñ", making it occasionally confusing - or comical.

You might be surprised at how easily it accomodates additional characters. Depending on the operating system, you can tell settings that you want to use the "U.S. International" keyboard layout, which slightly modifies the behavior of the quote and tilde keys; if I want to type "ñ", I just hit the tilde and the "n". An accented "á" just requires hitting the apostrophe before I hit the "a", and inverted punctuation marks (¿¡) just require the ALT key with the normal punctuation mark.

The nice thing about this setup is that you don't have to re-label any keys and everything stays in the same place.
:light:

Switching to U.S. International from U.S. English (the default on Ubuntu) was a great suggestion. It wasn´t very intuitive, but fortunately Ubuntu has a very active user forum that pointed me in the right direction (i.e. using ¨dconf-editor¨).

Code:
pablo@gaviota=> echo ¨mañana¨ ¨mañana¨

David K - 1-25-2022 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

That's a viable option, but it gets complicated if you don't have a numeric keypad on your keyboard.

Out of curiosity, why do you choose that method over simply adjusting your keyboard configuration as suggested above? I go transparently from my Win 10 laptop keyboard (no numeric pad) to Chromebook (even more limited keyboard), using the same 2 keystrokes for the Spanish "extended" characters regardless of the platform, which allows nearly full-speed touch-typing in either English or Spanish.

How do you adjust the keyboard?

mtgoat666 - 1-25-2022 at 11:14 AM

That's a viable option, but it gets complicated if you don't have a numeric keypad on your keyboard.

Out of curiosity, why do you choose that method over simply adjusting your keyboard configuration as suggested above? I go transparently from my Win 10 laptop keyboard (no numeric pad) to Chromebook (even more limited keyboard), using the same 2 keystrokes for the Spanish "extended" characters regardless of the platform, which allows nearly full-speed touch-typing in either English or Spanish.

How do you adjust the keyboard?

if you use an accessory keyboard with your laptop, then buy a spanish keyboard. keyboards are cheap, like $30 usd.

David K - 1-25-2022 at 12:18 PM

... and so, that is why I am doing it the easy way with Alt codes.
Goat, I am on a desk top (but do have an Android phone I post from as well).
Lencho, I am using Windows 10 and browse with Chrome, usually. At my age, I just seek easy.

The letters I use mostly are Alt + 164 (ñ), 160 (á), 163 (ú), 162 (ó), 130 (é), 161 (í), and rarely: 0252 (ü).

I do try to spell places in Baja correctly, and the accents are important as well as the correct spelling of places like: Los Barriles (not Barilles), Loreto (not Loretto), Mulegé (not Muleje), Santa Rosalillita (not Rosaliita), Alfonsina's (not Alphonsina's), Puertecitos (not Puertocitos), Santo Tomás (not Thomas), etc.

:light:

mtgoat666 - 1-25-2022 at 12:42 PM

... and so, that is why I am doing it the easy way with Alt codes.
Goat, I am on a desk top (but do have an Android phone I post from as well).

re phones, I assume android is like iphone. my iphone keyboard swaps languages at touch of a button. :light:

re desktops,... the keyboard plugs into your desktop. easy to swap keyboard. unplug old one, plug in new one :light:

pacificobob - 1-26-2022 at 08:32 AM

My android phone swaps between english[US] and spanish[US] by swiping the space bar thingy. That function was changed some in settings.

David K - 1-26-2022 at 11:13 AM

On my phone, just holding down the English letter changes it to the Spanish. n becomes ñ, a becomes á, etc.