BajaNomad

VIXIT grounded near Loreto

JCK - 3-12-2022 at 06:13 AM

The yacht VIXIT, registered in the Caymen Islands. grounded on a reef just south of Danzante Island last Monday. It remains grounded today.

https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/sacan-50-del-combustible-en-yate-...

https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/tras-encallar-en-aguas-de-loreto-...

https://www.diarioelindependiente.mx/2022/03/yate-de-lujo-en...

[Edited on 2022-3-12 by JCK]

mtgoat666 - 3-12-2022 at 06:45 AM

Is it owned by a Russian?

John Harper - 3-12-2022 at 07:58 AM

Maybe one our members test driving new corporate yachts in Newport Harbor and the SOC?

John

bajarich - 3-12-2022 at 11:01 AM

I've kayaked around Danzante several times, including paddling south to Ligui. That whole area south of Danzante has a lot of reefs. A clue would be the small rock islands above the surface. There is a chain of them from Danzante to Ligui.

According to this, Vixit has a draft to 3 meters (9'10") It (obviously) shouln't have been there.

https://www.charterworld.com/index.html?sub=yacht-charter&am...

mtgoat666 - 3-12-2022 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
I've kayaked around Danzante several times, including paddling south to Ligui. That whole area south of Danzante has a lot of reefs. A clue would be the small rock islands above the surface. There is a chain of them from Danzante to Ligui.

According to this, Vixit has a draft to 3 meters (9'10") It (obviously) shouln't have been there.

https://www.charterworld.com/index.html?sub=yacht-charter&am...

The Captain probably lost his job!

Pics on internet show that the passengers abandoned ship in inflatable life rafts. Must have been some water entering hull and a bit of panic onboard…

BornFisher - 3-12-2022 at 12:00 PM

Maybe it was Capt. Hazelwood!

JCK - 3-12-2022 at 12:49 PM

The captain was arrested by the federales

4x4abc - 3-12-2022 at 08:15 PM

I have an older sea chart
it shows every single one of the reefs in the area
it states "No passage" right where the ship is stuck

danzante.jpg - 243kB

bajarich - 3-20-2022 at 11:22 AM

So, is it still there or have they been able to remove it?

4x4abc - 3-20-2022 at 12:13 PM

has been pulled out 2 days ago

Hook - 3-20-2022 at 12:15 PM

Only slightly related, but is there anything new in the Loreto area about the catamaran that was found drifting/beached in the Loreto area with a dog on board, but no owner? Yacht had left from San Carlos, Sonora. No signs of foul play on the yacht as many of the man's personal possessions and valuables were on board. The suspicion is that he fell overboard and a search was being conducted. This was over a week ago.

JZ - 3-20-2022 at 12:39 PM

How dumb is this captain. No one with even basic experience should make that mistake.

The charts are very accurate now. They can see exactly where they are on huge monitors. And the new guidance systems pop up warnings even on my small boat.

[Edited on 3-20-2022 by JZ]

JZ - 3-20-2022 at 12:53 PM

Anyone with a phone can see where all the rocks are in that area.

4x4abc - 3-20-2022 at 02:40 PM

I showed someone recently how i had found something on Google Earth - he could not understand the concept of satellite images. There is little hope for this planet.

John Harper - 3-21-2022 at 06:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
I showed someone recently how i had found something on Google Earth - he could not understand the concept of satellite images. There is little hope for this planet.

The Corona photo reconnaissance satellite program started with KH-1 in June, 1959. Sixty three years ago. Is your friend's last name Van Winkle?

John

4x4abc - 3-21-2022 at 07:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

The Corona photo reconnaissance satellite program started with KH-1 in June, 1959. Sixty three years ago. Is your friend's last name Van Winkle?

John

digitally challenged Mexican rancher

wilderone - 3-21-2022 at 10:15 AM

Re: "anything new in the Loreto area about the catamaran that was found drifting/beached"
Several newspaper articles now. Nothing new. Supposedly had anchored northern Isla Carmen. Several people from US joined in the search, which included aircraft.

JZ - 3-21-2022 at 10:28 AM

digitally challenged Mexican rancher

Ok, that explains things more clearly.

I wouldn't say that is a sign of no hope for the planet. The MX rancher is probably living in a much different life than the ordinary person.

[Edited on 3-21-2022 by JZ]

Don Pisto - 3-21-2022 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Re: "anything new in the Loreto area about the catamaran that was found drifting/beached"
Several newspaper articles now. Nothing new. Supposedly had anchored northern Isla Carmen. Several people from US joined in the search, which included aircraft.

yes they've recovered a body now waiting for relatives to positively identify

wilderone - 3-21-2022 at 09:40 PM

3/21/22 CONFIRM; THE CAPTAIN OF THE CATAMARAN 'THE CAT' AUSTIN WALTER IS FOUND LIFELESS
.=The boat was found abandoned on March 12 in Nopolo, Municipality of Loreto
Sources from the State Attorney General's Office (PGJE) have unfortunately confirmed that the body located this morning in the vicinity of Punta Lobos, Isla del Carmen, Municipality of Loreto, corresponds to the North American Austin William Walter III.
He is the captain of the catamaran 'The Cat' located abandoned in the Nopolo area on the morning of March 12 with all his belongings on board and even a dog that was rescued by the authorities.
William Walter III had set sail from Puerto San Carlos, Sonora, heading for La Paz and presumably made a stopover in the area known as Roca Pintada, on Isla del Carmen.
After locating the boat, its search began with data obtained from its Captain's license and the Secretary of the Navy, State and Municipal Civil Protection, FONMAR intervened, the latter being the ones who located the body.
Around 12 noon today, Monday, he arrived at a dock in Loreto and is awaiting the result of the necropsy of law to know the cause of death.