BajaNomad

Surfing and Baja 500 Weekend

cwsMTK - 6-6-2022 at 03:08 PM

With the weather and waves looking good in conjunction with the Baja 500 running I decided to head down for the weekend. Plan was to surf around Eréndira/Santo Thomas Saturday, catch the racing near RM 400 out east of Uruapan and then surf again Sunday before heading back. Couldn't rustle up any copilots so this was a solo mission.

I left LA Friday early afternoon (mistake) and made it to Coyote Cals by 10pm.

I got up Saturday AM and headed out looking for waves. Gambled on a spot I'd been hoping to get for a few trips and it semi-payed off. Got fun waves all to myself but nothing crazy. Ran into some fellow surfers after my session but none of em wanted to give it a crack. After some lunch I headed up to Uruapan to catch the racing. Paid a local rancher 100pesos to park up on his land and caught most of the bikes/ATVs and then the first 10 trucks. I enjoyed watching the race and hanging with some of the locals and their families. Next race I want to make a full day of it.

I wanted to make another surf spot by dark to surf Sunday AM so I headed out from the race and south towards Colonett.

After a windy night in the tent I woke up Sunday and again had the place to myself. (all the other campers packed up and bailed early). After a good surf I started working my way back to the states. Stopped off in Ensenada for tacos and to pick up some racing shirts for my younger brothers.

Some pictures below:

bajatrailrider - 6-6-2022 at 03:16 PM

sounds like a great trip glade you enjoyed it

David K - 6-6-2022 at 04:18 PM

Nice photos!
Thanks for the trip report!

advrider - 6-6-2022 at 10:33 PM

Nice!