BajaNomad

Happy 4th of July to everyone!

BajaBlanca - 7-3-2022 at 11:04 PM

We have a picnic planned that started out as a get together for 6 of us, then grew to 10, and now I think we will be 15! Pool party at the condo we stayed at last year when we first came to Alanya, on vacation.

It is way up the hill, with spectacular views. We will be meeting 5 Americans for the first time - 3 are youngsters but 2 are our age and living here full time.

Hambuegers with all the fixings, Les's famous potato salad, deviled eggs. chips and "Guacamole a la Blanca", nuts, watermelon, cookies and cake for dessert.

Have a great day, everyone! Pictures later!

pauldavidmena - 7-4-2022 at 07:55 AM

Happy 4th of July to you too, Blanca!

One of my favorite 4th of July memories was a visit to Todos Santos in 2013. With the snow birds gone, we were able to soak up a very different vibe, and we learned all about "Baja Midnight". :cool:

sancho - 7-4-2022 at 04:34 PM

My hope is, as a Nation we can raise the bar a bit

JZ - 7-4-2022 at 11:19 PM

We have been in Sonora or Baja about 10 of the last 15 years over the 4th.

Stayed home this time. They shoot fireworks off at the highschool behind our house.

Just before the show planes flew over.

[Edited on 7-5-2022 by JZ]

BajaBlanca - 7-5-2022 at 10:14 AM

It was such a fun bbq! We were quite thee group and no one knew each other beforehand....the link was that everyone had someone American. I organized and what a challenge to do that with complete strangers LOL

Our newest friends (we had met them once before) were husband Riza married to Barbara. She is one of the most interesting women I have met in ages....she is an English teacher like me but has taught in Poland and here in Turkey to the tune of $2500 a month salary PLUS an apartment PLUS all utilities paid. Let me assure you, she is now 75 and she taught until she turned 65. Then apparently, they pull the plug, you cannot legally teach so bye bye to the apt and bye bye to the full salary. So, she retired!

My close friend Lynn came to visit and brought us the American flag!

There were 4 Americans, 3 Turks, 2 Russians, 2 Ukrainians and one Egyptian. We had to explain the reason for the party to the others LOL It was weird to see folks who had no idea of our traditioins.

Now, both Les and I forgot to put sunscreen on our backs, only on our faces and this is what we both look like today. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bueno but it does not hurt. I feel so dumb. The last time I burned like this was when I was a teen.

In other news, I am working hard on a downstairs garden. It is so fun and was completely abandoned, so I get to do whatever I want.

The other day, a Turkish friend took us up the mountain, near our house, to a beautiful cafe with stunning views.

On our way up by car, we had to get out and help a turtle cross the road.

God bless you all!

David K - 7-5-2022 at 10:30 AM

Nice!