BajaNomad

Beach Visitor

Floatflyer - 7-13-2022 at 09:10 PM

Saw this on the Seattle news and since I have never seen one on any beach. let alone in Mulege, thought it was pretty cool!

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2022/07/massive-elephant-seal-start...

basautter - 7-14-2022 at 05:09 AM

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

HeyMulegeScott - 7-14-2022 at 11:05 AM

The poor guy looks a little hot. People should definitely keep their distance.

https://postimages.org/

elgatoloco - 7-14-2022 at 05:29 PM

:cool:

Bwana_John - 7-14-2022 at 07:01 PM

Two places I've seen them, Ano Nuevo State Park, and San Miguel Island.

Thought to be extinct until breeding population found on Guadalupe Island.

Anyone seen the old time post card with a woman shooting one from about 10 feet away titled " The Last Elephant Seal"?

I bought a silver wetsuit so I wouldn't look like a sea lion, only to realize that now I look like a elephant seal which Whitey actually prefers over sea lions.

chippy - 7-15-2022 at 04:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Bwana_John  
Ano Nuevo State Park,
Site of the annual proctologists' convention every year since 1843. :coolup:

:lol:

KaceyJ - 7-15-2022 at 07:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Floatflyer  
Saw this on the Seattle news and since I have never seen one on any beach. let alone in Mulege, thought it was pretty cool!

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2022/07/massive-elephant-seal-start...

Looks like Bahia Conception

shari - 7-15-2022 at 06:50 PM

here in Bahia Asuncion, once in awhile big old elephant seals haul out on the little beach beside my kitchen. They always look dead...until they move and I see they are just super relaxed. The last one I saw was getting rolled in the surf like dead sealions do...I was absolutely sure he was dead...until he sort of woke up and swam away...so weird.

About those bloated beasts on the beach...

AKgringo - 7-16-2022 at 01:58 PM

Not all of them need help....I am so tired of people trying to keep me wet, or roll me back into the water! :mad:

mtgoat666 - 7-16-2022 at 02:35 PM

In the 19th century man hunted the northern elephant seal almost to extinction. Some think there were only 50 left in 1890s.
Thanks to Mexico and USA protecting them (thank god for greenies and good government) they have recovered to be quite numerous.

David K - 7-16-2022 at 05:42 PM

Ya, but do they taste good??? :lol:

surfhat - 7-17-2022 at 01:18 PM

To Orca's sure thing DK. Maybe some great whites too.

I have an issue with species such as us eating other mammals, but that is just me. I like fish. I like shell fish. Occasionally, as the sampler that I am, I will try certain food sources I would never otherwise choose.

Mammals are not on that list.

If I lived the the arctic, I would feel differently toward consuming seals and some whales. I respect the native populations that knew better than to take more than what was needed to survive.

The ultimate preservationists are our native populations and they deserve our ever lasting respect. We owe them far more than we can ever repay for the example they have set.