BajaNomad

16 years ago: The El Rosario Festival and Nomads were there!

David K - 7-20-2022 at 01:58 PM

In July 1774, El Rosario was founded by Spanish Dominican missionaries.

The birth of a town and for a time, a local celebration, hosted by Antonio Muñoz, who we knew here as 'BajaCactus'...

In 2006, was the second Baja Rosario Cultural Festival. My daughter Sarah (16) joined Elizabeth ('Baja Angel') and I on this trip. We met up with Nomads 'John M' & family, 'BajaNomad' & family, 'bajaandy', and others!

We also visited La Lobera, and the Half Way House for dinner...

PHOTOS: https://vivabaja.com/p706/

The first festival, in 2005: https://vivabaja.com/p705/
The third was in 2007: https://vivabaja.com/p707/

Anyone who attended these still on Nomad?
Share your memories or photos!

wilderone - 7-22-2022 at 09:30 AM

Oh yes, i remember. There were tours to El Cardonal. So I thought I'd go, decided to camp there. Backed into soft sand - got stuck. Thought a "tour" could come along, and help me out - um - no. Dug out in the heat the next day - with a friendly local seeking shade under my car. I worked on the other side while it was there, eventually pulling out.

AKgringo - 7-22-2022 at 09:57 AM

Another Kia driver! I still have my four door Sportage, but it is pretty much a parts car now, do you still have yours?

I am surprised you got stuck there, I wouldn't hesitate to make a three point turn there with mine, but I have been fooled a couple of times myself.

El Cardonal : 30°8.09′, -115°33.68′(WGS84)

David K - 7-22-2022 at 10:11 AM

widerone: too much air! ;) So sorry we never saw you to help!

We were on the El Cardonal tour in 2005, I actually led it since Antonio had shown me where it was a few months before.:

The squarecircle, Surfer Jim, Bob H, Hook, Frigatebird, Santiago, Baja Nomad, Nicolita, Neal Johns, follow David K and Baja Angel on a drive into the Baja desert.

The cardonal a few miles east of the El Rosario bridge, near where Arroyo San Juan de Dios joins the El Rosario river valley.

The Baja ladies are chatting (Audrey H and Baja Angel).

At the site of an abandoned ranch next to a large cardón forest, we mix it up.

wilderone - 7-22-2022 at 10:22 AM

Ha! No - don't have the Sportage any longer. When it was losing a qt of oil every week and overheating, I traded it in for a Subaru. That Sportage was great for years - pulled me out of deep mud in that Low 1st gear, got 34 mpg, etc.

David K - 7-22-2022 at 02:35 PM

I owned three Subaru 4x4 wagons ('77.5, '80, & '87 models). Only the third had low range and what a big help that was! The first two were 1600cc (1.6 liter) and the third was a 1.8 liter (1800cc).

For a few years I was not going to Baja regularly after I moved to Fresno for a job and had four kids [my 2 and new wife's 2] from '94-'99, with an exception or two in my 2WD van.

When I was ready for another 4x4, Subaru had abandoned the 'Off-Highway' theme of FWD to 4WD and went instead with an AWD (All-Wheel-Drive system, and no low range) even though they had models named 'Outback' and 'Baja'!

I also wanted a truck for work (and play) and the Subaru BRAT or BAJA just were not big enough with their 4 foot beds and mini El Camino or Ford Ranchero style passenger pickup.

BajaBlanca - 7-22-2022 at 11:23 PM

wilderone - those photos are epic! They really tell the story of the nightmare. That is a good sized visitor you had!