BajaNomad

An electric Meyers Manx is coming

AKgringo - 8-9-2022 at 11:13 AM

This looks like it could be a lot of fun for short runs! https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1136769_meyers-manx-2-0-...

[Edited on 8-9-2022 by AKgringo]

SFandH - 8-9-2022 at 11:44 AM

Looks like fun.

meyers-manx-2-0-electric_100850998_h.jpg - 330kB

El Jefe - 8-9-2022 at 01:10 PM

I currently own a Teryx side by side that I use at my place on the near east cape. It does the job for what I need but it is noisy and hauling gas out from town is a pain. Neighbors have old Manx and similar vehicles and they also do the job as long as their owners are willing and able to tinker with them on a regular basis.

This Manx 2.0 looks like the kind of thing I have been dreaming of for years. Capable in the sand, quiet running, easy to rack surfboards or even my surfski, plenty of range for my usage and I could charge it up from my solar system in the garage. I just hope they don't want $40,000 for it.

chippy - 8-9-2022 at 02:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
I currently own a Teryx side by side that I use at my place on the near east cape. It does the job for what I need but it is noisy and hauling gas out from town is a pain. Neighbors have old Manx and similar vehicles and they also do the job as long as their owners are willing and able to tinker with them on a regular basis.

This Manx 2.0 looks like the kind of thing I have been dreaming of for years. Capable in the sand, quiet running, easy to rack surfboards or even my surfski, plenty of range for my usage and I could charge it up from my solar system in the garage. I just hope they don't want $40,000 for it.

RZR pro r 4 priced at 41,000$ I think they will cost more than 40. They do look fun though!

pjpvi - 8-10-2022 at 10:23 AM

I really like that, but agree, not for $40K+. Will have to watch this develop.

AKgringo - 8-10-2022 at 11:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pjpvi  
I really like that, but agree, not for $40K+. Will have to watch this develop.

There was no mention of what the price point is likely to be, but I am sure that it will be way above any of the older SUVs that I have been driving to Baja!

It will be interesting to see just where the batteries are mounted, and how vulnerable they will be to the elements and road hazards.

When I was buying fuel a bulk plant this week, a flatbed with an older Tesla onboard was at the other pump. The owner of the Tesla high-centered on an ornamental rock bordering his own driveway, and the cost of replacing it may exceed the value of the vehicle.

At least it did not short out and burn!

John Harper - 8-10-2022 at 12:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The owner of the Tesla high-centered on an ornamental rock bordering his own driveway, and the cost of replacing it may exceed the value of the vehicle.

That's one expensive ornamental rock!

John

AKgringo - 8-10-2022 at 03:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
The owner of the Tesla high-centered on an ornamental rock bordering his own driveway, and the cost of replacing it may exceed the value of the vehicle.

That's one expensive ornamental rock!

John

Well I do live in gold country! :wow:

SFandH - 8-10-2022 at 04:27 PM

I wonder what the weight difference is between an e-Manx and the old-style VW Manx?

Batteries weigh a ton and I think being heavy works against off-roadability, especially on really rough roads and sand.

But, I bet old VW bug engines are becoming really scarce.

AKgringo - 8-10-2022 at 04:32 PM

They were still being sold in Mexico until about 2008 or so.

SFandH - 8-10-2022 at 04:36 PM

Yeah but I seldom see them on the road when I'm in Mex. Old bugs might be a good investment; i.e., one that will appreciate with time. I've always thought they're cool cars, soooooo basic.

AKgringo - 8-10-2022 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Yeah but I seldom see them on the road when I'm in Mex. Old bugs might be a good investment; i.e., one that will appreciate with time. I've always thought they're cool cars, soooooo basic.

In 1971 I bought a 1966 Bug (1300 cc) for $450 and turned it into a Manx type buggy. It had some minor body damage, but was probably as good as this craigslist offering; https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/d/copperopolis-1969-v...

Don Pisto - 8-10-2022 at 05:12 PM

I wonder what the weight difference is between an e-Manx and the old-style VW Manx?

Batteries weigh a ton and I think being heavy works against off-roadability, especially on really rough roads and sand.

1500lb for the 20kwh 1650 1650lb for the 40kwh.....original/knock off of the past around 13-1400lb

chippy - 8-10-2022 at 05:30 PM

The last vochos made at the puebla plant was 2002 or 3. A sad day in Mexican history :(

AKgringo - 8-10-2022 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

The last vochos made at the puebla plant was 2002 or 3. A sad day in Mexican history :(

From what I can find online, it looks like 2003 was the last year the Bug was made in Mexico and Brazil. The engine was still being used in the van until 2006, so parts are probably still in the supply chain.

BajaRat - 8-11-2022 at 10:13 AM

Like old Chevy trucks, old VWs have a huge after market for parts.
Lionel :cool:

SFandH - 8-11-2022 at 10:47 AM

It had some minor body damage, but was probably as good as this craigslist offering; https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/d/copperopolis-1969-v...

Yikes! $5000 for an old, undrivable, beat-up bug that doesn't run?

There's one born every minute.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for one.

Don Pisto - 8-11-2022 at 11:04 AM

It had some minor body damage, but was probably as good as this craigslist offering; https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/d/copperopolis-1969-v...

you can thank the class 11 guys! :P

mtgoat666 - 8-11-2022 at 11:24 AM

I had a bug when I was in high school. It’s the only car I have owned that I wish I still had…. Fun to drive, fun to work on.

David K - 8-11-2022 at 11:32 AM

My first car, in high school, was a 1600cc VW Meyers Manx, modified with a roof and rack for Baja camping and side curtains to fully enclose for bad weather. Here it is, on a Easter vacation Baja trip (1975) with a friend... on the road to El Mármol...

SFandH - 8-11-2022 at 11:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I had a bug when I was in high school. It’s the only car I have owned that I wish I still had…. Fun to drive, fun to work on.

I just looked around the Inet and folks are asking $10 to $15K for bugs in good shape. They have become collector's items.

I had a 1962 (I think) 1300 cc in college.

[Edited on 8-11-2022 by SFandH]

mtgoat666 - 8-11-2022 at 12:02 PM

I just looked around the Inet and folks are asking $10 to $15K for bugs in good shape. They have become collector's items.

Stupid prices. And Karman ghias and 2CVs go for even higher prices!
I sometimes look for old classic VWs, renaults, Citroens and fiats for chits and grins. Someday I will get a classic econo-car for cheap, just got to keep looking…
Even an 80s le car goes for $15k

[Edited on 8-11-2022 by mtgoat666]

AKgringo - 8-11-2022 at 12:51 PM

The original VW engine was a 1200cc, which was used through 1965. The block was a two piece unit bolted together.

In 1966 a new one-piece casting was used, and the capacity was increased to 1300 cc. The 1967 model (my personal favorite year) the 1500cc was introduced, using the same block as the 66.

SFandH - 8-11-2022 at 12:54 PM

So it must have been a '66. That makes sense, it was a hand-me-down from my sister. I know it was 1300 cc.

David K - 8-11-2022 at 01:20 PM

I did buy and install a 'big bore' kit that brought mine up to 1650cc. Friends had rail buggies with 1835cc and 2180cc VW motors.

AKgringo - 8-11-2022 at 01:32 PM

With the help of a friend who built engines for a living, I built mine to 1600cc with dual port heads and a holly "Bug Spray" two- barrel carburetor.

He installed a slightly hotter cam shaft, and the entire crank, rods and piston assembly was balanced to racing specs. It was an incredibly smooth engine, and sometimes it would pull the front wheels off the ground in first and occasionally shifting to second.

Even with that build, I am not sure I could match the 4.5 second 0-60mph that the electric Manx claims!

John Harper - 8-11-2022 at 01:40 PM

The original VW engine was a 1200cc, which was used through 1965. The block was a two piece unit bolted together.

In 1966 a new one-piece casting was used, and the capacity was increased to 1300 cc. The 1967 model (my personal favorite year) the 1500cc was introduced, using the same block as the 66.

IDK, I rebuilt both my 1967 1500cc and 1971 1600cc and they both had split crankcases. The early 1200 (36hp) had the generator pedestal cast integral with one of the case halves, but that went away with the 36hp motor. From the 1200cc 40hp motor on, it was a bolted on pedestal.

I have owned a 1958, 1962 Dune Buggy, 1963, and 1967 bugs and a 1971 van. Used to live and breathe them.

I had 125,000 miles on my 1971 1600cc motor when I sold it. I balanced all the rods and pistons to the same weight. I concur with the smoothness that results.

I recall the Holley "Bug Spray" but never installed one. I did design a dual oil cooler system on the 1971 van, perfect for Baja. Used the stock cooler and another one tapped off the oil pump. I could run all day long in the hottest Baja weather with no issues.

John

[Edited on 8-11-2022 by John Harper]

AKgringo - 8-11-2022 at 01:48 PM

Thank you for clearing that up for me. As I said, my friend did the actual bench work, and for all these years I have believed faulty info!

John Harper - 8-11-2022 at 01:49 PM

Thank you for clearing that up for me. As I said, my friend did the actual bench work, and for all these years I have believed faulty info!

My pleasure! Been a long, long time since I tapped those brain cells.

John

chippy - 8-11-2022 at 01:59 PM

Stupid prices. And Karman ghias and 2CVs go for even higher prices!
I sometimes look for old classic VWs, renaults, Citroens and fiats for chits and grins. Someday I will get a classic econo-car for cheap, just got to keep looking…
Even an 80s le car goes for $15k

[Edited on 8-11-2022 by mtgoat666]

You think those prices are stupid check out Thing/Safari prices:wow:. I'm glad I got mine back when things were more sane.

My first car was a 67 bug. Since then I've had at least one aircooled vw in my life. 3 bugs, 2 bajas, 1 brasilia, 1 transporter and a thing.