BajaNomad

In Reach Message from Harald, 4x4abc: 1:16pm PDT Sunday 8-21-22

David K - 8-21-2022 at 02:15 PM

"Just checking whether I can reach you - stuck far away. Can't reach anyone"

Harald's inReach did not send his location but he did include this waypoint in a message:
" 24°16.3140'N, 111°19.0880'W "
[This is on the coastal road, midway between Puerto Chale and Punta Conejo on the Pacific side, west of La Paz.]

David K - 8-21-2022 at 02:21 PM

I have sent two replies to Harald.
Awaiting a new message as to what he needs or further requests.

chippy - 8-21-2022 at 02:30 PM

I was on that road in may/june it had the worst silt beds I´ve ever seen. P-nche 1000 ruined it. I can't imagine what it would be like after it rains. I hope he's ok.

[Edited on 8-21-2022 by chippy]

AKgringo - 8-21-2022 at 02:36 PM

If you can send him a message, tell him to "Air down!". Just kidding David, but it is a regular bit of advice from you.

I wish I was down there; I would stand ready to assist if it is needed. I did some exploring in that area last year, and there are lots of dead ends. Most of them are dry, but with any water at all there could be silt bogs.

David K - 8-21-2022 at 02:37 PM

The shortest road from Hwy. 1 is the road to Rancho Santa Fe, at Km. 110.5. He is roughly 10 kms. as the crow flies, WSW of Rancho Santa Fe (also called 'Tepeyac' on the topo maps).

The crosshairs near the coast, is Harald's waypoint, on the Benchmark Baja Atlas map...

A-OK!!! Messages at 2:47 & 2:48 PDT

David K - 8-21-2022 at 02:51 PM

"All seems ok now"

"Shop forgot to secure the ignition cable"

Relieved!!!

bajatrailrider - 8-21-2022 at 02:54 PM

Good deal for Harold by the way he does know how to drive off road

AKgringo - 8-21-2022 at 02:56 PM

I said "Just kidding", I didn't think you would be sending instructions to Harald.

I was typing while Chippy was posting, but it seems we agree about silt beds and old race damage!

Another concern I have is lack of traffic in that area. Other than right near Puerto Chale, I did not see any other vehicles. It looked like some of the dead ends were from access to clam beds, so it may be long periods with no traffic.

bajatrailrider - 8-21-2022 at 03:00 PM

Yes AK any place they had a race no fun anymore . Except big rain it then goes back to nature. Ahh but you 4 wheel guys outa luck then moto only .

Don Pisto - 8-21-2022 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
I was on that road in may/june it had the worst silt beds I´ve ever seen. P-nche 1000 ruined it. I can't imagine what it would be like after it rains. I hope he's ok.

SCORE racing certainly doesn't help but the culprit is the large trucks hauling out decorative stones they've been harvesting for decades.

Ateo - 8-21-2022 at 04:15 PM

Exciting thread!!!!!!!!!

tiotomasbcs - 8-21-2022 at 05:02 PM

Plenty of Thunderstorms ! Thunder and lightning....some rain. Exciting. Hoping he's completely prepared... a little Tequila?

JZ - 8-21-2022 at 05:03 PM

Inreach Mini is fantastic.

AKgringo - 8-21-2022 at 05:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Is the Mini a stand-alone communication device, or does it link to a cell phone to send a text message?

I understand that there are pre-programmed messages that can be sent directly from the basic unit.

Cliffy - 8-21-2022 at 06:03 PM

I carry one in my airplane in case of going down out here in the west.

mtgoat666 - 8-21-2022 at 06:06 PM

harry,
next time you go off road, take emergency supply of 5 gals water and a box of granola bars!
always take 2 screwdrivers (1 flat, 1 philips), one adjustable crescent, 1 hammer, 1 knife (the knife is for lunch) and a few zip ties. any more tools that that and you are a girly man!

mtgoat666 - 8-21-2022 at 06:10 PM

half pint,
much quicker to fix a loose ignition cable with a wrench!

JZ - 8-21-2022 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Is the Mini a stand-alone communication device, or does it link to a cell phone to send a text message?

I understand that there are pre-programmed messages that can be sent directly from the basic unit.

It connects to your phone with Bluetooth. You use your phone to type messages and control it. Can also send messages, etc., directly from the device, but it's much faster using your phone.

I have a couple of them and we use them to communicate with each other out when out riding w/o cell service.

Every time I take the boat out I snap one into the small holder on the dash. A lot of times I will share my real-time track with friends and family.

[Edited on 8-22-2022 by JZ]

bajatrailrider - 8-21-2022 at 06:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

SCORE racing certainly doesn't help but the culprit is the large trucks hauling out decorative stones they've been harvesting for decades.
Very true large trucks heavy load big time kills the road

RFClark - 8-21-2022 at 10:49 PM

Inteach is like zoleo both work on the Iridium satellite system to send and receive texts.

JZ - 8-21-2022 at 11:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Inteach is like zoleo both work on the Iridium satellite system to send and receive texts.

Zoleo is very good, and cheaper. InReach is better.

- InReach can send messages without a phone. If your phone dies (battery dies, gets wet, lost, etc.), Zoleo is done, no 2-way communications.

- InReach battery is smaller but better

- InReach connects to more networks, so it is faster to send/receive messages.

You get what you pay for.

David K - 8-22-2022 at 06:18 AM

Having used inReach (Explorer) a lot during my Baja Bound mapping trips (2017-2019), I found it to be a perfect device to communicate to email addresses, or texting to phone numbers. Yes, it can pair with your cell phone for quicker typing, larger screen, and contact anyone in your contacts folder. It uses satellites not cell towers, so it works anywhere outside or in your car. I regularly communicated with Doug (BajaNomad), TW, StuckSucks, and other Nomads, plus my wife. They all could see where I was as I allowed them to follow my location. It creates track maps for you to view later, as well.

Nomad 'rob' at Playas Pacificas (La Aguja) took my photo (Aug. 2017) holding my inReach and connected cell phone, as that is how I was invited to visit him and 'bajalinda'...

[Edited on 8-22-2022 by David K]

4x4abc - 8-22-2022 at 08:41 AM

thanks for your help David!
you were the only one responding

after setting up emergency camp I wanted to run some tests and went under the hood
found the ignition main cable dangling in the air
just had the car back from a shop
apparently they did not click the connector all the way down
guess, I have to find a better shop

more later

ignition cable off 800.jpg - 314kB

David K - 8-22-2022 at 09:44 AM

Great that the solution was an easy fix. It must have been frustrating to hear your starter motor turn over but not start the engine!?

I am always happy to help any Nomad get the word out they need assistance.

Anybody with a Spot or the superior inReach device, is welcome to add me to their device or cell contacts. Being fully retired, I am home a lot more now... plus my cell phone also can check the Internet for emails or texts. Just u2u or email me. I can post your message onto Nomad & Facebook where more eyes might see it.

pacificobob - 8-22-2022 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Great that the solution was an easy fix. It must have been frustrating to hear your starter motor turn over but not start the engine!?

Anybody with a Spot or the superior inReach device, is welcome to add me to their device or cell contacts. Being fully retired, I am home a lot more now... plus my cell phone also can check the Internet for emails or texts. Just u2u or email me. I can post your message onto Nomad & Facebook where more eyes might see it.

That's a generous offer david good on ya!

JZ - 8-22-2022 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

I'm going to take you up on this!

David K - 8-22-2022 at 02:01 PM

But of course...! Other Nomads, like Graham, Mike Younghusband, geoffff, and Pappy Jon, have gotten assistance via the 'Baja Connection' (what Choral Pepper named me over twenty years ago)!

John Harper - 8-22-2022 at 04:21 PM

I'll probably join the InReach crowd before I head out next summer. I realized that most of the time in Wyoming this summer no one knew where I was, or where I was going. Probably not wise when you're travelling all alone and dozens of miles from any town.

I'm probably much to blame as I tend to not bother making contact in general. I'm on vacation!

John

bajatrailrider - 8-23-2022 at 06:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

Zoleo is very good, and cheaper. InReach is better.

- InReach can send messages without a phone. If your phone dies (battery dies, gets wet, lost, etc.), Zoleo is done, no 2-way communications.

- InReach battery is smaller but better

- InReach connects to more networks, so it is faster to send/receive messages.

You get what you pay for.

So whats best on dirt bike JZ as we never have support truck?

JZ - 8-23-2022 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
[/rquote] So whats best on dirt bike JZ as we never have support truck?

Both InReach and Zoleo are great. Both are very small and rugged.

Zoleo is a good bit cheaper. InReach can work even when your phone dies.

AKgringo - 8-23-2022 at 10:23 AM

Trail rider, be sure and compare the service plans of the two devices!

An annual plan might make sense for you, but for someone like me only needs tracking once or twice a year for three to six weeks at a time, an annual contract is not worth it (unless it actually saves my butt!).

With the Zoleo plan, add a $20 start up fee to however many months you need service. At least that is what I think I got from a quick read of their plan.

John Harper - 8-23-2022 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Trail rider, be sure and compare the service plans of the two devices!

An annual plan might make sense for you, but for someone like me only needs tracking once or twice a year for three to six weeks at a time, an annual contract is not worth it (unless it actually saves my butt!).

With the Zoleo plan, add a $20 start up fee to however many months you need service. At least that is what I think I got from a quick read of their plan.

Is that a one time $20 activation fee, and then just subscribe for a month or two when you plan to travel? Or, $20 activation every time?
John

AKgringo - 8-23-2022 at 10:37 AM

The way it sounded to me was every time you re-start. I did a very wquick read of the link I found, let me know if I was wrong.

JZ - 8-23-2022 at 10:43 AM

Inreach service levels can be changed on a monthly basis.

advrider - 8-23-2022 at 10:54 AM

I used the Inreach on my PCT hike and it worked good, nice to be able to let the wife know all was well. Many times I was out of service for several days at a time.
You can stop and start your plan every month or 30 days. Mine is on hold but when I head to Baja I will start it up again. No charge to start and stop usage and only a one-time activation charge. For about $40 dollars a year you can get emergency evacuation insurance to cover you just in case.
Many of us hiking would use it to stay in touch with each other in remote areas. If we got separated, we could message each other if we were camping apart for the night.

BajaBlanca - 8-23-2022 at 11:50 AM

That sure was a good ending 4x4!

David, I have sat in that exact same spot at that table! Such a beautiful location Linda and Rob are at.

David K - 8-23-2022 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
That sure was a good ending 4x4!

David, I have sat in that exact same spot at that table! Such a beautiful location Linda and Rob are at.

It sure is... and how great for them that their lots are selling a a remote, off-grid community is growing! www.playaspacificas.com (tell them David K says 'hi'!)

Goyo - 8-26-2022 at 02:43 AM

Advrider mentioned emergency evacuation insurance, which is on my list of things to look into. Does anyone know of a reputable company they would recommend? Thanks in advance.

larryC - 8-27-2022 at 10:15 AM

I just noticed on youtube a video about a proposed collaboration between starlink and tmobile where your existing cell phone can be made to access the starlink satellites and give worldwide communication to everyone. It is not available now but maybe in the not too distant future. Could be a game changer for a lot of people.
Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGA9-Rz96FM

4x4abc - 8-27-2022 at 11:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
I just noticed on youtube a video about a proposed collaboration between starlink and tmobile where your existing cell phone can be made to access the starlink satellites and give worldwide communication to everyone. It is not available now but maybe in the not too distant future. Could be a game changer for a lot of people.
Here is the link:

the emergency communication stuff is sufficient - updates and easier use are cool
however, the main problem is to get help to where you are (if you are way off main routes)
there are large areas in Baja where that could take days
unless the feds send a helicopter

but since some gringos have abused the system already (right on MEX1 with minor injuries) the feds are more and more reluctant send the chopper

4x4abc - 8-27-2022 at 11:39 AM

the rest of the story: https://www.facebook.com/harald.pietschmann.1/posts/pfbid0g8...

Don Pisto - 8-27-2022 at 05:24 PM

Here is the link:

I won't lie to you, I've been really unhappy with T-mobile ever since they ditched Carly, the pink dress girl!:D

wiltonh - 8-27-2022 at 07:35 PM

The Starlink connection uses a Generation 2 satellite as it has a larger antenna which should reach a cell phone. Here is an article that discusses the new device.

https://www.cnet.com/science/space/elon-musks-new-second-gen...

They stated that it might be ready after the first of the year but they did not mention Mexico or Baja. It would be nice if it worked.

John Harper - 8-28-2022 at 06:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wiltonh  
The Starlink connection uses a Generation 2 satellite as it has a larger antenna which should reach a cell phone. Here is an article that discusses the new device.

https://www.cnet.com/science/space/elon-musks-new-second-gen...

They stated that it might be ready after the first of the year but they did not mention Mexico or Baja. It would be nice if it worked.

An interesting sentence from the article:

"Starlink, with help from the US government, has been able to provide internet access to 150,000 Ukrainians in the midst of a war."

Help? Isn't "money" more accurate?

I guess all you need to get some good old American corporate welfare is become a war profiteer.

John

[Edited on 8-28-2022 by John Harper]

wiltonh - 8-28-2022 at 01:09 PM

If I read the news correctly, Starlink got their first $900 million from the US government in 2020 but they missed the $888 million in 2022. The article that I read stated that there were issues with up time and promised bandwidth.

I believe the $900 million was offered to anyone who could make a low orbit satellite system work by a certain date. The idea behind the money is that the cheapest way to solve the last mile problem for getting fast internet to every house hold was by satellite.

Here is an interesting article about how Starlink has helped the war. Some people say the US has supplied Starlink terminals to Ukraine but I have seen where Starlink says that is not correct.

https://www.politico.eu/article/elon-musk-ukraine-starlink/

Marty Mateo - 8-30-2022 at 05:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
the rest of the story: https://www.facebook.com/harald.pietschmann.1/posts/pfbid0g8...

I’m wondering why your first move wasn’t to look under the hood ?

4x4abc - 8-30-2022 at 10:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marty Mateo  

I’m wondering why your first move wasn’t to look under the hood ?

Because the car just came back from the shop with freshly installed items
especially the ECU has a tendency to fail
I had checked under the hood before leaving
everything looked clean and proper

so when the car showed the same symptoms as before the ECU replacement, I thought the unit had failed again
only a new (used) one will solve the issue

rushing into action in the desert is bad for your health
so I set up for a prolonged stay first
water, food, shelter, communication
after that I went for a look under the hood

in hindsight, in this case, a quick look would have saved me time
I didn't

rushing into action after mechanical failures or accidents is common off road, unless you have been trained not to
don't add insult to injury - I was told
I have seen many mishaps go really bad when the people involved raced into action
a quick pull to right a rolled vehicle?
only to see it disappear downhill because nobody put it in gear and set the parking brake

DouglasP - 8-31-2022 at 08:32 AM

Here is the link:

the emergency communication stuff is sufficient - updates and easier use are cool
however, the main problem is to get help to where you are (if you are way off main routes)

but since some gringos have abused the system already (right on MEX1 with minor injuries) the feds are more and more reluctant send the chopper

Harald, can you point me towards more info about the inreach being misused? Very curious about this. I don't have a Facebook account if that's where the info is.

4x4abc - 8-31-2022 at 08:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DouglasP  
Here is the link:

Harald, can you point me towards more info about the inreach being misused? Very curious about this. I don't have a Facebook account if that's where the info is.

I did not save the news clips
just reporting from memory