Timbabiche

chippy - 10-5-2022 at 03:27 PM

Don´t bother for another week.

TMW - 10-5-2022 at 06:55 PM

Good run just to visit.

AKgringo - 10-5-2022 at 07:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

Tell me more....is the road wiped out, bugs on the beach, or what ?

JZ - 10-5-2022 at 08:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Tell me more....is the road wiped out, bugs on the beach, or what ?

I read somewhere else that there are a bunch of gypsies on the beach down there right now.

TMW - 10-6-2022 at 09:00 AM

Lets go

chippy - 10-6-2022 at 06:39 PM

This was as of monday. The dozer driver was still 3 or 4 k from la cuesta. He said it got a lot worse down the grade and in the arroyo that leads to the beach. So that was a week from last monday supposedly?

We went to agua verde after getting denied and the bugs were so bad we left the next day.

AKgringo - 10-6-2022 at 06:48 PM

This is the season for bugs! It takes al the fun out of walking my dog here in Todos Santos.

[Edited on 10-7-2022 by AKgringo]

John Harper - 10-7-2022 at 07:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
This is the season for bugs!

Speaking of which, I recently had a conversation about this with a friend, very smart guy and a biologist by training, who in his later career worked as a ranger in a number of bug-infested areas including Georgia and Alaska.

He assures me after repeated experimentation he's convinced that vitamin B-1 in elevated doses (100 mg/day) really does work to reduce our attractiveness to biting insects. You ever tried this?

Nope, never heard of that one. It doesn't react with sun exposure as some B vitamins do, IIRC?

John

TMW - 10-7-2022 at 10:17 AM

I've always heard garlic helped against bugs. Also take a dip in salt water but don't rinse with fresh water. Let the salt water dry on you.

David K - 10-7-2022 at 11:11 AM

I have taken extra B vitamins with no luck... mosquitos love my blood. *We had heard to use Bounce dryer sheets (put in shirt pocket and/or hold one to your head with a hat). Funny, but that did seem to work. We tried it at Bahía Concepción one summer after tropical rains which brought them out. When all else fails, 100% DEET or as high a % as you can get... Just don't care for the feel and smell on your skin, but it beats being eaten by those flying little, blood-sucking devils!

chippy - 10-7-2022 at 03:42 PM

These are tiny gnats that didn´t bite but were unbearable all daylight hours without wind. They wanted moisture so they were in your eyes,nose, ears and mouth. Relentless little bastards by the thousands. The locals said they only see them after big rain events.

Haven´t seen them here on the Pacific side:biggrin:

AKgringo - 10-7-2022 at 04:13 PM

These are tiny gnats that didn´t bite but were unbearable all daylight hours without wind. They wanted moisture so they were in your eyes,nose, ears and mouth. Relentless little bastards by the thousands. The locals said they only see them after big rain events.

Haven´t seen them here on the Pacific side:biggrin:

It is getting better, but they have been annoying as hell where I am on the north side of Todos Santos. And yes, some of them do bite! Mosquito bites don't really bother me, but apparently, I am sensitive to gnat bites.

I don't feel the bite, but the swelling and itching commences a whle later, and usually takes days to heal. By then of course, I have new ones!

My first trip to Agua Verde was right after Odile in 2014, so I know exactly what you are talking about!

Glidergeek - 10-7-2022 at 09:32 PM

"put in shirt pocket and/or hold one to your head with a hat"
Did that take the wrinkles outa your forehead?:lol:

AKgringo - 10-8-2022 at 07:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
This is the season for bugs!

Speaking of which, I recently had a conversation about this with a friend, very smart guy and a biologist by training, who in his later career worked as a ranger in a number of bug-infested areas including Georgia and Alaska.

He assures me after repeated experimentation he's convinced that vitamin B-1 in elevated doses (100 mg/day) really does work to reduce our attractiveness to biting insects. You ever tried this?

I have not heard of that remedy, it can't hurt to try it. I am also considering trying a diet of Kirkland dog food. My girl trots ahead of me sniffing everywhere and stirring up clouds of gnats. I have heard her cough up a few of them, but for the most part they come after my eyes, nose, mouth and ears instead of her's!

I do a lot of swatting and swearing on our morning walk. Did I mention that they also bite me? I tried wearing long pants and sleeves, which had me sweating, swatting, and swearing!

David K - 10-8-2022 at 07:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Glidergeek  
"put in shirt pocket and/or hold one to your head with a hat"
Did that take the wrinkles outa your forehead?:lol:

I think maybe yes! LOL The sheet was not over my forehead, silly!

AKgringo - 10-8-2022 at 12:05 PM

Lencho, would that be considered as wearing a prophylactic device? :?:

[Edited on 10-8-2022 by AKgringo]

baja-chris - 10-9-2022 at 05:06 PM

Regarding garlic, you need to eat enough of it that your perspiration smells like garlic. Roasted whole garlics in the campfire will do the trick.
Plus it's a yummy appetizer and if everyone with you eats that much garlic they won't notice your garlic smell.

Sunman - 3-17-2023 at 12:01 PM

Any road updates?