BajaNomad

Big Pemex Rip Off, near La Paz, yesterday...

David K - 3-5-2023 at 09:38 AM

One of the people I am in touch with (via inReach) as they travel, wrote me about this incident that happened at the big station, where the road along the coast, from San Evaristo and San Juan de la Costa, meets Highway One [Km. 17]:
(He emailed me from where he is now staying)

"I don't know if you post this type of stuff, but the Pemex just north of La Paz where 1 meets the coastal highway is a rip off in a big way. They charged our credit card $1400 US dollars with a bogus credit card machine that showed the charge as "1399MX Hotel" to appear as if it was pesos at first glance.

"He also told us the charge did not process and we had to pay cash. We caught what was happening 15 minutes after we left and stopped the payment and all that, but this dude was a pro. Has to be his own credit card machine. I am trying to figure out who to report this to here.

"To add insult to injury, the one time I did not look at the pump to verify "0" our [vehicle] magically holds 24 gallons of fuel in our 19 gallon tank with a quarter tank left in it.."

[Edited on 3-5-2023 by David K]

mtgoat666 - 3-5-2023 at 09:57 AM

When will y’all learn that you should pay cash at gas stations?

There should be a sticky thread on nomad that says: “do not use CC at gas stations!”

surfhat - 3-5-2023 at 10:22 AM

I have always paid for fuel in pesos for the last fifty years with not a single ripoff.

Whether the pumps were 'managed' is not my point. I always have paid in pesos directly to the attendant and always ask for a printed receipt.

Using Antonios Pemex in El Rosario has always been dependable and I never miss topping off there.

This forum is invaluable in getting the word out on who to use and who to avoid. Thanks to Baja Nomad for all [most, haha] of its members paying it forward for others benefit.

sancho - 3-5-2023 at 10:26 AM

I don't understand using a CC anywhere in Baja. Read
of a guy around the Cape, used a CC for gas, a short while
later used the same card it was declined. Flew back to the US,
the same card was declined. Then he realized the gas station
attendant had kept his card and given him back another and
made charges on his card. I suppose it is convenient, but
never had a problem. Tell the guy who pumps the gas how
much fuel in pesos you want, gas gets dispensed you're
on you're way

Lee - 3-5-2023 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

There should be a sticky thread on nomad that says: “do not use CC at gas stations!”

Attention Nomads. Get yur finances together with pesos. Only the young, naive, inexperienced traveler uses a cc for gas.

Yes, Im making a sweeping generalization for the many who have never been scammed. Ha ha. It’s a matter of time!

(I do use a cc at Cabo Costco and Walmart. That’s it!)

mtgoat666 - 3-5-2023 at 10:45 AM

I know so many younger people today that don’t carry cash, and use CC for everything…

Scammers in Mexico must think these people are ripe for the picking.

JZ - 3-5-2023 at 12:17 PM

I know so many younger people today that don’t carry cash, and use CC for everything…

Haven't carried cash in the US in 10+ years. Only exceptions are when I know I have to tip someone. What a waste of time to count bills and deal with silly little coins.

Take cash to MX. But definitely use a CC where they are accepted including gas stations. Never scammed. Even if I was, would just cancel the card and get the charge reversed. Always have several cards available for this reason.

Why are you clinging to the past and refusing to advance with technology?

mtgoat666 - 3-5-2023 at 12:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Haven't carried cash in the US in 10+ years. Only exceptions are when I know I have to tip someone. What a waste of time to count bills and deal with silly little coins.

Take cash to MX. But definitely use a CC where they are accepted including gas stations. Never scammed. Even if I was, would just cancel the card and get the charge reversed. Always have several cards available for this reason.

Why are you clinging to the past and refusing to advance with technology?

I like cash… Cash is cool… credit cards are dorky…

Don Pisto - 3-5-2023 at 12:47 PM

I only use cash everywhere here in mex but I gotta say I feel like the lady writing a check in the checkout lane....seems like everyone is using a CC!

surabi - 3-5-2023 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
I only use cash everywhere here in mex but I gotta say I feel like the lady writing a check in the checkout lane....seems like everyone is using a CC!

Perhaps that's true in Baja, but I seldom see anyone using a CC here on the mainland. Mexican debit cards, yes, NOB CCs, no.

Pretty much the only thing I use a credit card for is booking airline tickets. Cash and debit card for everything else, both in Mexico and Canada.

KurtG - 3-5-2023 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Attention Nomads. Get yur finances together with pesos. Only the young, naive, inexperienced traveler uses a cc for gas.

Yes, Im making a sweeping generalization for the many who have never been scammed. Ha ha. It’s a matter of time!

(I do use a cc at Cabo Costco and Walmart. That’s it!)

I am neither young at age 79 nor inexperienced after 50 years of Baja travel and use my ATM card regularly and CC once in a while but with precautions and have never had a problem. I still carry cash but less than in years past. I never let a card go out of my sight. At the gas stations the attendant uses the wireless terminal that takes my chip/pin card and gives an instant receipt. I have never found a discrepancy between that rcpt and what has been charged to my account.

I do tend to use the same stations on each trip and use bank atm's only during banking hours in case there is a problem which so far hasn't happened. Perhaps I have just been lucky but the card system has worked for me and I was always a little concerned about carrying too much cash.

JZ - 3-5-2023 at 02:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Perhaps that's true in Baja, but I seldom see anyone using a CC here on the mainland. Mexican debit cards, yes, NOB CCs, no.

Pretty much the only thing I use a credit card for is booking airline tickets. Cash and debit card for everything else, both in Mexico and Canada.

I had a house in Sonora for 5 years in the early 00's. Used my CC there all the time. Like a thousand times.

rccali - 3-5-2023 at 02:39 PM

Only in an emergency would I use a debit or credit card at a business in Mexico. Years ago I had a bag in the trunk of my car stolen with a receipt that had my debit card number on it that did not include the expiration date. Less then 30 minutes later the thieves were at a Ley supermarket trying to use the card by guessing the expiration date. There were over 10 attempts before my bank disabled the card due to possible fraud.

I don't take unnecessary risks in Mexico. There are too many people looking to take advantage of Americans. To me it's not worth the trouble.

pauldavidmena - 3-5-2023 at 03:52 PM

During our most recent trip to Todos Santos, we used a credit card for our rental car and a few established restaurants (Docecuarenta, the Todos Santos Brewery), but cash virtually everywhere else. The convenience of using plastic everywhere is very tempting, but we pick and choose our opportunities based a combination of experience and common sense.

JZ - 3-5-2023 at 03:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rccali  

Only in an emergency would I use a debit or credit card at a business in Mexico. Years ago I had a bag in the trunk of my car stolen with a receipt that had my debit card number on it that did not include the expiration date. Less then 30 minutes later the thieves were at a Ley supermarket trying to use the card by guessing the expiration date. There were over 10 attempts before my bank disabled the card due to possible fraud.

I don't take unnecessary risks in Mexico. There are too many people looking to take advantage of Americans. To me it's not worth the trouble.

A 5 min call with the bank would resolve it.

BajaMama - 3-5-2023 at 03:59 PM

Cash is king in Baja. I don't use credit card for anything except maybe a motel, but rarely even then.

Don Pisto - 3-5-2023 at 04:08 PM

Apple pay is here, soon you'll be able to put that plastic in a box with CD's and DVD's. (I'll still be using pesos) :D

mtgoat666 - 3-5-2023 at 04:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rccali  

A 5 min call with the bank would resolve it.

When cc companies cancel a card due to their perceiving fraud attempt, your card is canceled. You can call your cc company, but they won’t Re-activate it. You are chit out of luck until they mail you a new card.

Sometimes my cc company texts me first to ask if charge attempt was valid. If you miss that text and don’t respond, they go straight to canceling the card.

JZ - 3-5-2023 at 06:17 PM

Do you only have one card or something?

I have 2 debit cards (one for personal and one for my real estate LLC) and 3 different airline cards. Plus a CC I use for business.

Fraud is super rare, at least for me, not sure where you are sticking your card? :o
Really the biggest issue I've had is the ATM at Marina Coral in Ensenada ate my debit card.

Truth be told, had more incidents in the US than MX over the years.

[Edited on 3-6-2023 by JZ]

surabi - 3-5-2023 at 07:04 PM

I had a house in Sonora for 5 years in the early 00's. Used my CC there all the time. Like a thousand times.

I said I had seldom seen anyone use CCs on the mainland. That you used your CC a thousand times in Sonora is irrelevant.
And no, it doesn't take 5 minutes to resolve a stolen or fraudulently used CC or debit card. It took a couple hours on the phone when my cards were stolen and fraudulently used.

I think we’re talking about this place.

RFClark - 3-5-2023 at 07:38 PM

The Pemex is behind the restaurant which has good food. We eat there at times. I have noticed that there are usually a number of people hanging out between the back of the restaurant and the gas station. Sketchy looking people. Not the best PEMEX sation.

0969FBF5-FC1A-4CD9-9692-1A7089CE2B4F.jpeg - 245kB

Lee - 3-5-2023 at 07:50 PM

Interesting read. Got cash from an ATM downtown San Jose, CR. Immediate scam charges. Admit to being paranoid now about possibilities for cc scam anywhere.

Only carry 2 cards don’t want to deal with my bank on this. Yeah a bit more than 5 minutes to get things straight.

Gas stations? Never ever gonna use a cc.

JZ - 3-5-2023 at 08:09 PM

I said I had seldom seen anyone use CCs on the mainland. That you used your CC a thousand times in Sonora is irrelevant.
And no, it doesn't take 5 minutes to resolve a stolen or fraudulently used CC or debit card. It took a couple hours on the phone when my cards were stolen and fraudulently used.

2hrs, lol. You need to change your bank.

JZ - 3-5-2023 at 08:11 PM

So many itt afraid to change with the times. My dad use to carry a fat wallet with cash too.

I use Venmo or Zelle to send cash 20x more times than using actual cash. Nearly every single person under 30 (maybe 40) in the US has one of the two. Including a lot of the Mexican immigrants.

Cash is for tipping strippers at the club. :light:

freediverbrian - 3-5-2023 at 10:16 PM

I use a Charles Schaab debit card in baja. No transaction fees, easy to cancel a transaction. Not all credit cards are the same do your homework. Monitor your transactions be proactive. It's easy ,take your money out from under your mattress and make it work for you.

pauldavidmena - 3-6-2023 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
The Pemex is behind the restaurant which has good food. We eat there at times. I have noticed that there are usually a number of people hanging out between the back of the restaurant and the gas station. Sketchy looking people. Not the best PEMEX sation.

"La Ardilla" = "The Squirrel". I'm hoping that isn't what makes the restaurant good. :lol:

Fraud-ian slip?

pauldavidmena - 3-6-2023 at 07:58 AM

My most recent brush with fraud came in the form of an email from the Massachusetts Unemployment Office warning me that I couldn't receive benefits if I didn't change my PIN. It was immediately fishy because I'm still employed and am not "in the system"! Apparently someone had my name, contact info and Social Security Number and was trying to use it to get unemployment benefits from the state. The would-be fraud wasn't very bright, adding their home phone number to my contact info. I had to wait on hold for an hour to clear it up, as it seems there have been a rash of these fraud attempts. My Social Security Number was exposed in an OMB breach at least 10 years ago - a gift that keeps on giving.

watizname - 3-6-2023 at 08:00 AM

This time I think Goat has it right.:o Cash. Get it before you leave, and if you need more, use an ATM in one of the banks to get more. Never trusted cc's in Mexico. Guess I'm just old school, but I like cash.

Cancamo - 3-6-2023 at 08:49 AM

Traveling in Central and South America over the years, I always kept my cards in a metal sleeve. Card readers where someone could get your information just by brushing up against you as well as readers inserted in the ATMs were a big problem. This is before the chip, not sure if that makes things more secure nowadays.
Bottom line is there are sophisticated thieves watching you at the ATM and anywhere you use your card.
Using a credit card anywhere in this country for daily purchases is risky, and if you have not been victimized, consider yourself fortunate. I know of too many bad experiences of card theft. When you acknowledge that the average cashier/ attendant makes less than $100 for a six day week, you might reconsider using the plastic at the Pemex or anywhere else.

From my same warning on a Facebook group page, 3/5/23:

David K - 3-6-2023 at 09:59 AM

Dan Vandenheede
Same happened to us, same station two days ago. We were able to put a stop on it as well. Thank you for sharing.

I posted the asvisory on my two groups (VivaBaja, BajaMissions) and on the Baja Overlanding group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajaoverlanding/

Lee - 3-6-2023 at 10:23 AM

David. Ck in? Yur opinion pros cons on cc’s down here.

Cancamo wrote it. Thx for checking in.

Murphy’s Law? See it everyday everywhere. Cosmic joke to see if yur getting it.

surabi - 3-6-2023 at 10:59 AM

So many itt afraid to change with the times.

Just because people don't do things the way you do doesn't mean they're "afraid to change with the times", anymore than you portraying those who took Covid seriously as "cowering in their basements".

[Edited on 3-6-2023 by surabi]

karenintx - 3-6-2023 at 12:32 PM

We use our c/c as much as possible in both the US & Baja...we just take precautions.  All of our c/c send a text to our cell phones & emails the moment a charge is initiated, which averages about four to five a week, if that much.  No matter where we are...Wal-Mart, Costco, restaurants, gas stations, I immediately say to the person in Spanish "look, a notification from my bank telling me about this charge."  I love seeing the looks on their faces, something my hubby teases me about. 

If we go to a place we are not familiar with or do not feel comfortable, then we will use pesos.  We also do not let the c/c leave our table/sight.  If the establishment does not have a wireless c/c terminal, then the hubby will go with the person to the c/c terminal or again we will pay in pesos.

As far as social security numbers, we froze all three of our credit reports, which also freezes the ss# in 2005.  Anyone trying to run a credit check or open an account with your ss# will get declined immediately.  Before freezing our reports I confirmed with our insurance companies/banks if this would be a problem to which all said "no".  We have all the c/c we need, we have no intention of buying a different house or car.  If that time comes we can then unfreeze our credit report..as long as you know your PIN # along with the answers to your security question it is a very easy process.  I will say by freezing our credit reports it cuts out all the junk mail that says 'you are preapproved".  I also monitor all of our financial accounts every morning which takes only a few minutes.

To each his own but I would prefer the protection of a c/c instead of a debit card that can drain the cash from your checking/savings account.

bajatrailrider - 3-6-2023 at 12:56 PM

Add to list do not use CC at pemix Walmart Ensenada . Three times card hacked. Cash is king

surabi - 3-6-2023 at 01:27 PM

" I would prefer the protection of a c/c instead of a debit card that can drain the cash from your checking/savings account."

When my Canadian Scotiabank debit card was stolen and the thieves immediately used it for an $800 purchase, I did get reimbursed the money. However, that may not always be the case, I assume.

Bob and Susan - 3-6-2023 at 05:40 PM

i was at the gas station today using my credit card....

when you pay there is an option for dollars or pesos

if the dollar button is pushed in error, then you pay dollars instead of pesos
BIG difference

could have been an error by the attendant

TMW - 3-6-2023 at 07:40 PM

I use Pesos for gas and meals in Baja. Credit card usually for hotel but not always. I've had my B of A card used by bad guys a couple of times and the bank called me, they cancelled the transaction and gave me a new card.

4x4abc - 3-6-2023 at 08:53 PM

local forums have reported elaborate cash scams at that same gas station over the last few days

in a primal society where everybody is out to eff you, your only protection is your own vigilance
and if something goes wrong - don't whine on the forums!
Call the police!
Gringos are such whimps in Baja.

David K - 3-6-2023 at 08:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
i was at the gas station today using my credit card....

when you pay there is an option for dollars or pesos

if the dollar button is pushed in error, then you pay dollars instead of pesos
BIG difference

could have been an error by the attendant

Did you read my follow up? Same 'accident' happened to others there.

WideAngleWandering - 3-7-2023 at 03:54 PM

Since credit cards became more common at Baja gas stations I have been going that route for years, with pesos as a backup. Saves me trips to the ATM. I have never had an issue but I will be on the lookout. I think I still prefer the credit card over carrying a fat wad of pesos. Worst case is a call to the credit card company to report fraud.

JZ - 3-7-2023 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

local forums have reported elaborate cash scams at that same gas station over the last few days

in a primal society where everybody is out to eff you, your only protection is your own vigilance
and if something goes wrong - don't whine on the forums!
Call the police!
Gringos are such whimps in Baja.

Amen.

WideAngleWandering - 3-7-2023 at 10:21 PM

I don't think it is whining to keep one another informed about local goings-on here in the forums.

Cancamo - 3-20-2023 at 11:16 AM

Never been a good idea to use credit cards for most purchases, especially for fuel.

elsudcaliforniano.com.mx/local/municipios/tarjetas-bancarias-pueden-ser-clonadas-en-comercios-9779342.html

WideAngleWandering - 3-20-2023 at 12:34 PM

Why not? The credit card company assumes all the risk if they decide to snarf the card and make bogus charges.

Lee - 3-20-2023 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  
Since credit cards became more common at Baja gas stations I have been going that route for years, with pesos as a backup. Saves me trips to the ATM. I have never had an issue but I will be on the lookout. I think I still prefer the credit card over carrying a fat wad of pesos. Worst case is a call to the credit card company to report fraud.

My experience and view is different. Never had a scam while getting gas. But I’ve never used a cc and never will.

I use ATM once a week along with other errands. Takes minutes. Pay cash for everything. No problem carrying “fat wad” of cash. Go figure.

I use AT&T and can’t always get through calling out. 50/50 that’s the phone system in Pescadero. Had to reach my bank when scammed once in Costa Rica. It wasn’t fun and I swore never again, if I could help it. More than a big deal to me.

Gas stations? I see gas stations as the most likely place I would be scammed.

Be on the lookout for possible scams using a cc for gas? Once outside San Felipe, no cell coverage? Oh you must mean 4 hours later when I get to GN. Got it.

You trust the MX system. I dont not even a little.

Marc - 3-20-2023 at 03:54 PM

In my world travels (yes world) I try to figure a how much cash I will reasonably need. Then I DOUBLE the amount and only use coin of the realm. I NEVER use C Cards! I go to Wells Fargo in SoCal for Pesos and Merchants Bank in San Francisco for the more exotic currencies.
I learned the hard way by running out of cash in New Guinea years ago. Long story.

mtgoat666 - 3-20-2023 at 05:50 PM

Why not? The credit card company assumes all the risk if they decide to snarf the card and make bogus charges.

Yes, the CC company eats the loss, but they also cancel your card as soon as fraud is reported or detected, then you experience the inconvenience of having to wait for new card to come in mail, and the the inconvenience of having to change your CC number for your monthly bills that hit your card (because you got all your automatic bills on CC to get points or cash back). :lol::lol::no::no::no::no:

gnukid - 3-20-2023 at 06:23 PM

I always use a cc for gas in mexico, never had fraud, I use cc the has the highest intl rate with no xtra charges plus 1-3 % back, but never at a unknown (new) location, if fraud occurs I can cancel and get a new card in 48 hours while also canceling all transactions at the location. If you are using cc then you must be prepared to immediately report fraud and order a new card and number, so, you need some cards for gas and some for other purchase and another you never use in public for any regular billing.

You need to manage rates, costs, risks, and do what's right in the moment, right now peso is falling slightly to dollar and there are many cards with cash back up yo 3% with no fees so it makes sense to use a cc if you buy a lot of gas. If you are just running short errands in town cash is best.

soulpatch - 3-20-2023 at 07:28 PM

Seriously.

I've lived full time in Mexico for close to 11 years and use my CC everwhere for the points.

One time I had an issue ( way less than in the USA ) and the DHL'd me one in less than 24 hours.

Other times they have fraud alerted me and I declined the charge and was free to continue using my existing card.
That only happened maybe two times, though, in over a decade.

But, yeah, cash is nice, too, but I get no points with cash.

soulpatch - 3-20-2023 at 07:31 PM

Yes, the CC company eats the loss, but they also cancel your card as soon as fraud is reported or detected, then you experience the inconvenience of having to wait for new card to come in mail, and the the inconvenience of having to change your CC number for your monthly bills that hit your card (because you got all your automatic bills on CC to get points or cash back). :lol::lol::no::no::no::no:

Not my card.
They've asked me about charges, twice in over a decade they were not mine.

They asked me if I was in possession of the card and when I answered in the affirmative they declined the two charges and kept my card active.

The time outside of that ( years ago ) they DHL'd me a card in 24 hours.

It wasn't an awful experience.

Lee - 3-21-2023 at 05:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  

Seriously.

I've lived full time in Mexico for close to 11 years and use my CC everwhere for the points.

One time I had an issue ( way less than in the USA ) and the DHL'd me one in less than 24 hours.

Other times they have fraud alerted me and I declined the charge and was free to continue using my existing card.

Do you live in Baja? Doesn’t sound like you do.

soulpatch - 3-21-2023 at 11:40 AM

Seriously.

No, but I did have a home there for 10 years and traveled there almost 25 and, on occasion drive the very north port if for some reason I have to return to CA but, believe it or not, I have never had an issue with my CC during that time.

Does that count?

On edit I should state I have never had a CC issue in Baja California.
I already related the other issues.

[Edited on 3-21-2023 by soulpatch]

WideAngleWandering - 3-21-2023 at 01:16 PM

Well, I can understand the inconvenience of having a card deactivated due to fraud. It has never happened to me in Baja though, and I carry two cards so I have a backup. The one I use for fuel doesn't have any bills paid on it so minimal hassle if it gets deactivated.

I also carry two debit cards from different banks (only for ATM machines, never for point of sale purchases), keep enough pesos and USD for a fillup (sometimes the CC machine is down), divide my cash between multiple stashes, carry a pair of drivers licenses and have a decoy wallet. Having redundancy makes it so I don't have to dedicate any brain power to worrying about fraud, ripoffs, theft, etc.

I find a credit card for fuel to be pretty convenient. That will change tho if CC fraud becomes widespread.

Lee - 3-21-2023 at 02:50 PM

Seriously.

No, but I did have a home there for 10 years and traveled there almost 25 and, on occasion drive the very north port if for some reason I have to return to CA but, believe it or not, I have never had an issue with my CC during that time.

Does that count?

On edit I should state I have never had a CC issue in Baja California.
I already related the other issues.

[Edited on 3-21-2023 by soulpatch]

Of course your experience counts and I believe you’ve had a stroke of good luck. Stars align for you.

I’ve lived 20 years in the Todos/Pescadero area, Winter months, and your experience might be true for some here, but not me. Getting a phone connection here is 50/50.

Power goes out regularly, internet is spotty at times, water gets delivered sometimes and sometimes no.

Nothing like you’ve described. Must be regional.

soulpatch - 3-21-2023 at 03:43 PM

[/rquote]

Of course your experience counts and I believe you’ve had a stroke of good luck. Stars align for you.

I’ve lived 20 years in the Todos/Pescadero area, Winter months, and your experience might be true for some here, but not me. Getting a phone connection here is 50/50.

Power goes out regularly, internet is spotty at times, water gets delivered sometimes and sometimes no.

Nothing like you’ve described. Must be regional.[/rquote]

No doubt.... regional differences abound!

monoloco - 3-31-2023 at 10:33 PM

I use my credit card here all the time, gas station, lumber yard, restaurants, stores, etc. No problems so far, but not really worried because I get a notice on my phone for any charge.

mtgoat666 - 4-1-2023 at 08:42 AM

I was at a hotel this week that is “cashless.” No cash accepted, only CC or debit card. Big signs in lobby and in restaurant saying “cashless.”

But car valet and restaurant waiters had gone rogue and were accepting cash for tips. Perhaps these rebellious employees will be fired soon?

You pemex-credit-card-users: do you tip attendant in cash or do you have them add tip on your CC bill? :lol:

[Edited on 4-1-2023 by mtgoat666]

Just remember that....

AKgringo - 4-1-2023 at 08:58 AM

Always, or Never, is Usually, bad advice!

[Edited on 4-1-2023 by AKgringo]