BajaNomad

tejemaneje

pauldavidmena - 6-21-2023 at 07:02 AM

My Spanishdict.com word of the day today is "tejemaneje", which it translates as "monkey business." Digging a little further, it seems to be a contraction of the words "teje" (from "tejer", meaning "to weave") and "maneje" (from "manejar", meaning "to drive") and describes the wheeling and dealing involved in a negotiation. The WordReference.com blog banter implies that it's a Castillian expression, although I suppose it's possible that the expression is used in Central and Latin America as well.

Is there a favorite expression or expressions commonly used to describe this sort of behind the scenes activity commonly used in Mexico?

RFClark - 6-22-2023 at 07:35 AM

I found this, seems like political sleaze is a major use.

English translation of 'tejemaneje'
Word Frequency
tejemaneje
Lat Am Spain (informal)
MASCULINE NOUN
1. (= intriga) intrigue
(= chanchullo) shady deal (informal)
los políticos y sus tejemanejes politicians and their shady deals (informal)
2. (= actividad) bustle
(= bulla) fuss
se trae un tremendo tejemaneje he’s making a tremendous fuss

Using AI as a translator

SFandH - 6-22-2023 at 08:02 AM

Bard - https://bard.google.com/

the Spanish word "tejemaneje" can be translated to English as "mess", "intrigue", "wheeling and dealing", or "underhanded dealings". It refers to a complicated or confusing situation, often one that is motivated by self-interest or deception.

The word "tejemaneje" is derived from the verb "tejer", which means "to weave". The literal meaning of the word is "to weave a mess", which captures the sense of a complex and tangled situation.

Here are some other English words that can be used to translate "tejemaneje":

Machinations
Intrigues
Shenanigans
Tomfoolery
Deception
Foul play
Underhandedness

-----------------------------------

ChatGPT - https://chat.openai.com/

The Spanish word "tejemaneje" can be translated to English as "manipulation" or "intrigue." It refers to the act of manipulating or maneuvering things behind the scenes, often involving complex or secretive actions.

--------------------------

I said to both AI chatbots: translate to English: tejemaneje

[Edited on 6-22-2023 by SFandH]

BajaBlanca - 6-22-2023 at 10:04 AM

You learn something new every day!

RFClark - 6-22-2023 at 09:18 PM

🙀👍👍👍