BajaNomad

"firefly"

pauldavidmena - 7-14-2023 at 02:51 PM

There are multiple words for "firefly" in English, including "lightning bug" and "glow worm," so it's of little surprise that the same is true in Spanish. The Castilian-centric WordReference.com lists a primary translation of "luciérnaga", but alternate translations include "cocuyo" and "carbunco." What translations for firefly are most common in Mexico. For that matter, how common are fireflies themselves in Baja?

AKgringo - 7-14-2023 at 05:34 PM

I have never seen one west of the Rocky Mountains, or in a desert climate for that matter.

SFandH - 7-14-2023 at 05:55 PM

My Mexicali born and raised friend says luciérnaga is correct.

The last time I've seen them I was vacationing in the Dominican Republic.

RFClark - 7-14-2023 at 07:43 PM

I’ve not seen any to date in BCS or Puerto Vallarta when I worked there.

stillnbaja - 7-14-2023 at 08:28 PM

little guys are having a rough go:(
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/interacti...

surabi - 7-15-2023 at 11:01 PM

I have seen them where I live an hour north of Puerto Vallarta. Not often. But one summer night I was sitting next to the arroyo just below my place, the water flowing gently, a full moon, and there were hundreds of fireflies. It was quite magical.

JZ - 7-16-2023 at 12:07 AM

We had thousands and thousands of them when I was a kid growing up in the 80's in Ohio. We called them lightening bugs.

[Edited on 7-16-2023 by JZ]

pauldavidmena - 7-16-2023 at 06:37 AM

My parents had a vacation home in upstate New York and we'd see them throughout the summer around dusk. We see them occasionally here on Cape Cod, but definitely not in the numbers we would have seen years ago.