BajaNomad

as clear as mud

pauldavidmena - 9-8-2023 at 07:50 AM

Today I saw this post on the Todos Santos newsfeed: "me quedé atorado en el fango en Elías Calles." I knew that "atorado" meant "stuck," but I had to look up "fango" in WordReference, which translated it as "mud." The only Spanish word I knew for mud (before today) was "lodo."

Doing a reverse lookup of "mud" on WordReference listed "barro," "lodo," and "cieno" as Spanish translations, but "fango" only appeared at the bottom of the entry, in the section entitled "'mud' aparece también en las siguientes entradas:" Is it possible that "fango" is more commonly used in Mexico, or perhaps even specific to Baja?

lencho - 9-8-2023 at 08:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Today I saw this post on the Todos Santos newsfeed: "me quedé atorado en el fango en Elías Calles." I knew that "atorado" meant "stuck," but I had to look up "fango" in WordReference, which translated it as "mud." The only Spanish word I knew for mud (before today) was "lodo."

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/barro-y-fango-y-lodo...

pauldavidmena - 9-8-2023 at 09:38 AM

I keep forgetting how useful it is to go to the WordReference discussion forum, especially for someone like me who is atorado en el fango between beginner and intermediate level Spanish. Thanks for the tip (again)!

pacificobob - 9-8-2023 at 11:44 AM

In my experience barro usually refers to soil with a high clay content.
Regular mud as lodo.

surabi - 9-9-2023 at 07:30 PM

Yes, I've always heard "barro" to refer to clay.

Udo - 9-11-2023 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Yes, I've always heard "barro" to refer to clay.

:bounce::smug::bounce: