BajaNomad

Adios to 'Barry A' and Vaya con Dios

David K - 12-8-2023 at 11:11 AM

With great sadness, I learned this morning of the passing of one of us, a long-time Baja Nomad, Barry A.

Barry was a generous Nomad with over 10,000 posts and his last was this past August. https://forums.bajanomad.com/search.php?srchuname=Barry%20A....

Barry spent many years as a ranger in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and loved his decades of Baja travel!

One of his last projects with me was getting the Bud Bernhard maps of 1963 online, with gear help from Nomad 'geoffff'.

I will miss this guy like the passing of a close friend, even though we never met.

BarryA.jpg - 108kB

Santiago - 12-8-2023 at 11:51 AM

Barry and I had many on-line conversations about politics and mentoring young people, especially about long term investing. He and I were different politically, but we found that easy to set aside.
One of the good guys.

BajaBlanca - 12-8-2023 at 12:09 PM

May he RIP

Vince - 12-8-2023 at 01:58 PM

Yes, my old friend, Barry, is gone. We grew up together in Coronado, same class in school ( CHS 1956), both sons of naval officers, both Baja afficionados since the '40's. We took some memorable trips together hiking and climbing in the San Pedro Martir mountains out of Meling ranch. Barry flew aircraft for many years as a Forest Ranger then retired as a Park Ranger. He was a true gentleman and good friend for over 70 years. Vaya con Dios, Barry.

JZ - 12-8-2023 at 06:29 PM

Man o man. He was a good dude.

BornFisher - 12-8-2023 at 08:54 PM

Dang, never met him but sure admired him. His common sense plus experience made his thoughts profound.

BajaGringo - 12-10-2023 at 10:04 AM

Really sorry to hear this. Barry was one of my favorite members here and although we differed politically on some issues, he was always civil and friendly in his responses; something becoming increasinghly rare in this modern age of political debate.

I'll truly miss you my friend but we'll catch up on the other side..

Ateo - 12-11-2023 at 07:27 PM

I spent many days talking and debating with Barry on here and sometimes in the OT and U2U.

The man was knowledgeable, kind, a gentle arguer, helpful and calm. I liked that about Barry.

RIP Barry...............you made me smile and laugh many times.

Udo - 12-12-2023 at 09:45 AM

He should be resting in peace!

Great guy!@

Don Jorge - 12-12-2023 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Vince  
Yes, my old friend, Barry, is gone. We grew up together in Coronado, same class in school ( CHS 1956), both sons of naval officers, both Baja afficionados since the '40's. We took some memorable trips together hiking and climbing in the San Pedro Martir mountains out of Meling ranch. Barry flew aircraft for many years as a Forest Ranger then retired as a Park Ranger. He was a true gentleman and good friend for over 70 years. Vaya con Dios, Barry.

Wow. Sorry to hear your friend has passed on. I used to meet people like you and him often back in the day and could never get enough of or tire listening to the stories told over a shared campfire, food and beer or when in a town at the local watering hole.

Nowadays most of that generation of Baja explores are gone, having left Baja or Earth, finally timing out.

So much of Baja has changed these last 70 years including the Baja traveler. Back then the trip to the tip was not done in 2 days, more like 2 weeks, if you were in a hurry. The journey was the trip and the "destination" was reached every day.

I never met Barry, my misfortune unfortunately. As others have mentioned, his gentlemanly manner in online discussions was appreciated and noteworthy, especially nowadays.

Sounds like he lived a good life as a good man.

ADios