BajaNomad

La Paz Bicycle repair shop recommendation wtd

Suncoast - 1-26-2024 at 09:31 AM

Hey Everyone we're down in La Paz and have brought our mountain bikes, we're looking for a decent shop that does good work but isn't over priced, not looking for a high end Gucci shop just a good solid mechanic who can communicate with us non spanish speaking gringos. Anyone have any experience? There seems to be quite a few shops around.

La Paz bike repair

John M - 1-27-2024 at 09:49 AM

forward to 9:10 in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0VgSkZcTT0&list=PLQntYl...

John M

mtgoat666 - 1-27-2024 at 10:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Suncoast  
Hey Everyone we're down in La Paz and have brought our mountain bikes, we're looking for a decent shop that does good work but isn't over priced, not looking for a high end Gucci shop just a good solid mechanic who can communicate with us non spanish speaking gringos. Anyone have any experience? There seems to be quite a few shops around.

What kind of repairs? Bikes are pretty simple, most of us do our own maintenance.
Any bike shop can do maintenance. The only maintenance task I would be careful about is choosing someone to true wheels.

Suncoast - 1-27-2024 at 10:14 AM

I do all my own maintenance as well but my tools are back home, I need my front brakes bled and a shock pump to put some air in my wifes fork. We haven't ridden the bikes since last summer and loaded them on the rack when it was -20 back home, when we arrived here I noticed the lack of brake pressure and air in my wifes fork. Just thought I could maybe get a local shop to do a minor tune up adjust the derailers and clean them up a bit.

mtgoat666 - 1-27-2024 at 10:26 AM

Ressel bikes (first choice)
Thunders bikes

[Edited on 1-27-2024 by mtgoat666]

Suncoast - 1-27-2024 at 11:23 AM

Thanks Goat! I stpped by Thunders Bikes on the way through town the other day, the owner seemed like a nice knowledgable guy I asked him about just bleeding my front brake and he quoted me $450 then dropped it to $400, seems too pricey for a 20 minute job, I'm hoping to get eveything done for around $450 if possible

mtgoat666 - 1-27-2024 at 03:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Suncoast  
Thanks Goat! I stpped by Thunders Bikes on the way through town the other day, the owner seemed like a nice knowledgable guy I asked him about just bleeding my front brake and he quoted me $450 then dropped it to $400, seems too pricey for a 20 minute job, I'm hoping to get eveything done for around $450 if possible

$23 usd seems like an ok amount. You gonna drive all over the city to price other shops and spend $5 in gasoline to save $3