BajaNomad

Underwater Mining (Dredging) for Phosphate at San Juanico

bill erhardt - 1-31-2024 at 12:17 PM

Below is a link to an article in The Guardian about Odyssey Marine Exploration and its plan for underwater mining (dredging) for phosphate in the near shore waters of the Baja Pacific, the billions of dollars and politics at stake, and the ecological devastation the project would inevitably wreak.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/31/how-a-us...

4x4abc - 1-31-2024 at 12:27 PM

if you are willing to give up the life you are living - then oppose all prospecting for resources.
With growing numbers of humans on this planet we need more food
phosphates are the #1 source of fertilizer

reduce the number of humans and then your environmental impact concerns are settled

this dredging project has been on the table for 50 years
it comes and goes
it will very likely happen one day

surfhat - 2-2-2024 at 10:27 AM

Extend the protected Biosphere area. I am sure that would be easy to do. haha

Not! Commercial interests tend to have the power and the money to do what they want and wherever they want.

I treasure the treasures of Baja. Having more protected zones would be a dream and everyone knows what dreams are worth monetarily.

Peace love and fish tacos to all nomads and non-nomads alike.

A geological question

AKgringo - 2-2-2024 at 10:46 AM

Based on my limited knowledge of movements of the tectonic plate that Baja is part of, it seems to me that the phosphates are probably a submerged side of the same deposit that is being mined at San Juan de La Costa.

Anyone here know it that holds water?

pacificobob - 2-2-2024 at 11:02 AM

Local fertilizer prices have nearly tripled in the last dozen years. I've also noticed more Mexican products, and fewer imports. Many of the top shelf German ag products are hard to find.