BajaNomad

The Earthquake Swarms off of Loreto are back.

RFClark - 2-7-2024 at 11:32 AM

Red is within the last 24hrs all were 4+ anyone feel anything?

IMG_4946.jpeg - 295kB

Loretana - 2-7-2024 at 05:41 PM

The earthquakes are subtle, but there sure have been quite a few in the last few days. Haven't caused any more cracks in my walls. I like to think it's letting some pressure off there in the seismicity of our region.

AKgringo - 2-7-2024 at 08:43 PM

Maybe it is the east coast of Baja continuing to lift. Nature's way of trying to save the palm tree from rising sea levels?

USGS Earthquake monitor

John M - 2-8-2024 at 06:24 AM

Showing the two largest shakers

John M

Additional Quakes

John M - 2-8-2024 at 04:53 PM

Two more this afternoon (Thursday the 8th) in the Gulf, centered 35 or so miles east of Loreto.

In the 4.5/4.6 range.

John M

RFClark - 2-8-2024 at 10:16 PM

lencho,

Since Naples Italy has risen 15’ in a few decades baja rising a few inches in the same period is entirely possible.

pacificobob - 2-9-2024 at 04:18 PM

Looking like the big island had some seismic activity. 2.7 to 6.2 depending on who reported.

2/11 Update Red is current

RFClark - 2-11-2024 at 04:14 AM

The range is high 3s to high 4s

IMG_4962.jpeg - 281kB

A non-scientific opinion.....

AKgringo - 2-11-2024 at 10:56 AM

Earthquake swarms when you are living near a volcano...Not good!

Earthquake swarms when you are living near a fault line....Better than one big one!

RFClark - 2-11-2024 at 11:33 AM

AK,

You’re from a part of the “Ring of Fire” that has both. I don’t know what this will turn out to be. There was a smaller swarm in this general area last year or so. We’re approaching the anniversary of the big Easter Mexicali quake. A volcano might be nice though. Tourists love them.

Today’s additions in red

RFClark - 2-11-2024 at 11:52 AM

Anyone else think that the patterns in the yellow circle looks like a giant airport? That is what google earth shows too!

IMG_4965.jpeg - 335kB

surfhat - 2-11-2024 at 03:54 PM

The "you got me under me under pressure' song lyrics comes to mind.

A relief valve of any kind can be a good thing, considering the alternative of a big bomb of a bang without any prior energy mitigation like these recent tremblers hopefully represent.

The swarms are spreading! El Centro Today!

RFClark - 2-12-2024 at 08:36 AM

Largest 4.8 a few hours ago. With reports from SD.

IMG_4969.jpeg - 177kB

mtgoat666 - 2-12-2024 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Goat, these earthquakes happened. They are facts. The climate change scare is all about wild guesses about a future that hasn't happened. Their predictions, so far, have all been wrong!

Dk, you were probably born before theory of plate tectonics was developed. You may also be one of the many anericans that thinks the bible creation story is more accurate than the story spun by geoscientists.

You might be surprised to learn that much of geoscience is about computer modeling of physical processes based on what we observe today. Just like climate science!

Dk, do you know that plate tectonic theory is based on what geologists observe in rocks? Much like climate history is based on what geologists see in rocks!
Scientist use observations today to theorize about the past and future.

RFClark - 2-12-2024 at 12:26 PM

Goat,

I’m old enough to have been there during the great “Continents are too massive to move around like skaters” debate. My best high school friend’s Dad was the head of the Geology Dept at a major university as well as a primary consultant for energy and resource companies.

The Geology Establishment literally went to their graves refusing to admit that the pacific hotspot that created the Hawaiian island chain and the now undersea mounts north of it moved rather than the plate above it. When in fact the plate moving overhead of the hotspot actually caused the island chains. My friend’s Dad was on the side that had it right!

The point here is that the scientific establishment is usually wrong and often fights to the death (their’s) against those pushing new and (in their opinion) unproven theories. Then the process repeats itself.

To say that because you’re pleased with the current establishment’s climate opinions the debate is over is just self serving BS!

surabi - 2-12-2024 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

The point here is that the scientific establishment is usually wrong...

Usually wrong??? As opposed to you, I guess, and the rest of the science deniers, who are usually right?:lol:

RFClark - 2-12-2024 at 02:20 PM

Cultist,

Use the complete quote! Editing quotes selectively is a cheap shot. But consider the source!

“ The point here is that the scientific establishment is usually wrong and often fights to the death (their’s) against those pushing new and (in their opinion) unproven theories. Then the process repeats itself.”

How many thousand examples of the above do you require?

surabi - 2-12-2024 at 07:20 PM

You apparently don't know what "edit" means. I didn't edit your quote, nor take them out of context. Those are the exact words you wrote in the exact order you wrote them, and I didn't bother quoting the rest of the sentence, because it doesn't change the meaning of the first part, only embellishes it.

RFClark - 2-12-2024 at 08:59 PM

Cultist,

Still can't parse English sentences very well!

Ok, take out of context then.

“ Quoting out of context (sometimes referred to as contextomy or quote mining) is an informal fallacy in which a passage is removed from its surrounding matter in such a way as to distort its intended meaning.[1] Context may be omitted intentionally or accidentally, thinking it to be non-essential. As a fallacy, quoting out of context differs from false attribution, in that the out of context quote is still attributed to the correct source.

Arguments based on this fallacy typically take two forms:

As a straw man argument, it involves quoting an opponent out of context in order to misrepresent their position (typically to make it seem more simplistic or extreme) in order to make it easier to refute. It is common in politics.”

surabi - 2-12-2024 at 10:57 PM

Stop being a condescending jerk. I know exactly what taken out-of-context means and explained that the part of your sentence I quoted did not in any way distort its original meaning, because the rest of that sentence just continues with the same assertion- science is usually wrong and anyone who challenges established science is vilified or silenced.

If someone writes, "I hate people who take advantage of others" and I only quote "I hate people", that is taking a quote out of context in order to distort what that person said.

If they write, "I hate people because people are disgusting", and I quote "I hate people", that isn't out of context, because it doesn't change the fact that the
writer made it clear that they hate people.

So what part of you saying "the scientific esstablishment is usually wrong" did you not mean?

RFClark - 2-12-2024 at 11:22 PM

Cultist,

What I’m saying that you can’t parse is that the universe has no instruction manual. The best we can do today is often wrong or incomplete and not the best we can do tomorrow. Anyone who takes the position that “the science is decided stop looking” is corrupting the very process by which we learn and add to our knowledge.

This post is about Earthquakes! Do you have anything to say about earthquakes?

The Loreto Earthquake swarm is back!

RFClark - 4-19-2024 at 11:00 PM

They started back up a couple of days ago low - mid 5s and high 4s. These are stronger than February's swarm.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 22.49.38.jpeg - 312kB

Tioloco - 4-20-2024 at 06:42 AM

Have you felt any of them?

Almost - 4-20-2024 at 08:22 AM

The 5.6 on the 18th shook my house. We were outside having coffee and the whole place moved. The light strings were swinging around, our cups moved. The 4.4 just after, we didn't really notice at all.

RFClark - 4-20-2024 at 11:30 PM

No, we’re way down on the Pacific side south of Todos Santos.

pauldavidmena - 4-21-2024 at 09:34 AM

The Research Vessel Atlantis is somewhat north of Loreto, 27.47083 -111.48121, to be exact - just east of Isla Tortuga. They've been using both the HOV Alvin and the AUV Sentry to study hydrothermal vents in the Sea of Cortez. I'm not sure if they've noted any seismic activity where they are, but I can ask.

pacificobob - 4-21-2024 at 11:15 AM

In 30 years living in Alaska i felt my share of seismic action.
I found comfort telling myself that smaller quakes were relieving stress on the plates and made the "big one" less likely.

AKgringo - 4-21-2024 at 12:19 PM

The largest earthquake I experienced in Anchorage was a magnitude 8. It was located in the Talkeetna range, pretty far from where I was so there was no damage near me.

I was in a trailer I was using while re-constructing my house, and the subtle shaking went on so long that I began to think something was wrong with me!

I was relieved when I stepped outside to see trees and power lines swaying with no breeze. It was a lot like taking a crap in a motorhome while someone else was driving down the road!

RFClark - 4-21-2024 at 11:48 PM

The ‘94 Northridge EQ 6.7 was 2-3 miles north of our office. We were using a 45’ refer trailer as a video tape machine room. It hopped around for about 40 sec or so and a 4’ block wall 40’ long next to it fell over.

Warner Bros had damage to several stages including the floor of a stage with a pit collapse.

The 2010 Mexicali EQ 7.1 lasted about 90 sec and south of San Felipe it was like jumping on a water mattress. Worst I was ever in!

lencho - 4-22-2024 at 08:01 AM

.. it was like jumping on a water mattress. Worst I was ever in!

My worst was 1976, Guatemala City, 7.5.

The gods were on my side, I guess; a lot of people died in that one. :O

surabi - 4-22-2024 at 09:31 AM

I was in Guatemala City for that one, too. We were sleeping in my van parked on the side of a little city park, luckily nothing close to us that could fall on us. The van started rocking side to side like it was going to tip over. We could hear and see high rise buildings collapsing.

Estimated 23,000+ dead, 80,000 injured, 250,000 homes destroyed, 1.5 million left homeless.

surfhat - 4-22-2024 at 09:31 AM

Lencho, I was in Costa Rica when the Guatemala quake happened and sometime later my surf buddy and I met a couple and their best surf buddy from Santa Cruz, Ca. while we were on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica.

They had many horror stories to tell while they helped others as much as they could at a large hospital and for as long as they could stand.

They were so grateful to be back on the beach and surfing again. Life had taught them quite a lesson about timing being everything.

It just so happened the beautiful blond girlfriend was the daughter of Otis Chandler, the publisher of the LA Times. Even he could not get much help to them during the disaster. They put their time to good use helping others as much as they could for a month or so of volunteering.

They were great people to hang out with for a month, all the while the surf was pumping the whole time and gave us some of the best waves I have ever surfed anywhere. A decade or so later, an offshore quake lifted the sea floor and the well-known break by that time was never what it was when we discovered it on our own.

I had been passing through Guatemala heading south a month prior. Whew!

I may be confusing one trip south with another, but when I stayed in Guatemala City for a day or two, I found a movie theater showing the first Stars Wars movie with English subtitles. Now that was a trip to the galaxies far, far away and in Espanol no less.

I have long lost touch with these fellow traveling surfers, and dare I say, humanitarians, but the good times and great waves we shared have always remained as clear as if it happened yesterday.

Now back to the quakes in the Sea of Cortez.

pacificobob - 4-22-2024 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
.. it was like jumping on a water mattress. Worst I was ever in!

My worst was 1976, Guatemala City, 7.5.

The gods were on my side, I guess; a lot of people died in that one. :O

I left Guatamala city hours before that event on a PanAm flight to LAX. It was several years before I returned. The amount of rumble, destruction and PTSD is something I'll never forget.

[Edited on 4-22-2024 by pacificobob]

More Earthquakes off Bay of LA!

RFClark - 4-27-2024 at 05:31 PM

This is the current map! Anybody feel anything?

IMG_5198.jpeg - 188kB

surfhat - 4-28-2024 at 11:36 AM

Is calling others a cultist necessary to make your point?

We all have our own perspectives that we each choose to follow for own own reasons. Right or left, right or wrong. haha

Baja Nomad from my perspective is a daily relief from all the crap we are exposed to daily.

My hope is that this simple priority will be others priority too. I can dream, and will, being the pollyanna idealist I guess I have become.

If that supposition is worthy of being criticized, I will have to take it.

Peace, love for Baja, and all the fish tacos anyone would want.

Years ago, decades ago, I recall stopping at the Ensenada Harbor and buying five fish tacos for a dollar!

"Those were the days my friends".

pacificobob - 4-28-2024 at 12:54 PM

1969 at age 16 my pals and I loaded up the jalopies and drove to matzatlan where we rented a room across from the central market with a taco shop on the ground floor. Tacos were 8cents.
That was our primary cuisine for the weeks we hung out there. Damn, we had fun.

surabi - 4-29-2024 at 06:53 PM

Street tacos were 8 pesos in Mexico City when I was there in 1998. Two years later I came to the Nayarit coast where they were 15 pesos.

AKgringo - 4-29-2024 at 08:47 PM

I don't remember what the street tacos cost at a stand in Cabo in 1986, but I do remember the look on the vendor's face when I ordered two dozen of them. It was for my wife and I and three teen-age boys.

surabi - 4-30-2024 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I don't remember what the street tacos cost at a stand in Cabo in 1986, but I do remember the look on the vendor's face when I ordered two dozen of them. It was for my wife and I and three teen-age boys.

I was standing behind a woman I knew in the supermarket lineup who had her cart piled high with cases of groceries. I said it looked like she was having a party? "Nope, we have 4 teenage boys at home."

When I was a kid, my cousins' family lived close to us and would visit often. There were 4 boys. The oldest who was a teenager at the time would walk in the door and ask first thing, "Got anything to eat?" My aunt would turn to him and say, "We just had dinner half an hour ago!"