BajaNomad

AIR COMPRESSOR

Udo - 4-27-2024 at 10:48 AM

Many of you have been waiting for this compressor to go on sale:

Now it has!

KIlo for kilo, the best and fastest 12 volt air compressor;

Tioloco - 4-27-2024 at 11:06 AM

If you are going to be relying on that in a remote place and need reliability, buy 2

4x4abc - 4-27-2024 at 12:22 PM

maybe for your moped

Maderita - 4-27-2024 at 12:32 PM

Udo,
Appreciate your posting of the sale price. Always good to know best pricing on gear.

However, the quality control, reliability, and design of this compressors is poor. It is easy to pull up the negative reviews on the Harbor Freight web page.

Specifications can deceive. The "duty cycle" is not mentioned. A high percentage duty cycle is important when filling multiple offroad tires, particularly in desert temperatures. I prefer 100% (continuous duty). When it comes to air flow rate, HF shows 1.35 CFM, but they neglect to state at what PSI, rendering that spec as worthless. One must assume that it is at zero PSI.

The yellow coiled air hose is convenient. Until it breaks, which it will over time. Even some of the top brands come with a plastic air hose. I carry a high-quality rubber hose, with the appropriate fittings. HF compressor owners have reported that they were unable to change hoses due to incompatible fittings. It was said that the fittings are not NPT and may have a proprietary thread.

mtgoat666 - 4-27-2024 at 02:03 PM

Udo,
Get the Viair. Looks like you are shopping harbor freight junk.

4x4abc - 4-27-2024 at 04:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Udo,

most Viair are also junk
expensive junk

woody with a view - 4-27-2024 at 07:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Udo,

most Viair are also junk
expensive junk

Udo, I’ve had this for five years with zero issues. Pay triple if you wish or just get a solid unit. Some people here continue to be special ed.
https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-30033-300P-Portable-Compressor/...

David K - 4-27-2024 at 09:00 PM

I love my 'cheap' MV-50... fills 16"x 32" tires fast (3 minutes=15 psi gain). It hasn't failed (except once when I accidentally P-nched the tub while it was running)!

I had the Harbor Freight one but the fuse got so hot it would melt (not blow)... It was a tiny bit faster doing about 6 psi per minute... But with the fuse case getting so hot, it wasn't easy to fill all four without a break. The MV-50 has no such issues and was under $85.

mtgoat666 - 4-27-2024 at 09:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Udo,

most Viair are also junk
expensive junk

We are all waiting on the edge of our seats for you to enlighten us… what brand/model gets the seal of approval from Herr 4x4?

4x4abc - 4-28-2024 at 08:06 AM

We are all waiting on the edge of our seats for you to enlighten us… what brand/model gets the seal of approval from Herr 4x4?

why would I do that?

Lee - 4-28-2024 at 08:53 AM

Got 2 ViAirs, small and big, 20 years old, still works well. At the time it seemed like it was the brand to buy.

Deciding factor wouldn't be ''sale price,'' but specs.

DK's MV50 looks good for about $30. more.

Udo - 4-28-2024 at 01:35 PM

I've had mine for about 15 years. I have used it many times. I love the high volume. I did have to replace the yellow air hose that came with it.

Udo,

PaulW - 4-29-2024 at 07:33 AM

Compressor offerings have changed drastically since the last one I bought.
If you search Amazon for 12v portable compressors you will find laterally dozens of choices from low flow to extreme flow at high pressures..
Yup, the old Harbor freight one David has (2.02 CFM)works but the one Udo (1.35CFM) notes will also do the job.

For what it is worth Here are my compressors.

Honda - Viair 85P (1.83CFM) - Had it for a long time and it is ok for the small tires. Not price competitive to comparable offerings these days from Amazon.

21' Jeep Rubicon 37" tires - Tozalazz double unit (11.65 CFM). Will inflate 4 tires from 15 to 40psi in 10+ minutes. See Amazon for the specs and the reviews. I have had it for several years and now days there are more comparable choices.

18' F150 with stock tires - GSPSCN (2.47CFM) Another double compressor but with moderate flow. Again go to Amazon and see the specs and read the reviews.
All compressors mentioned are made in China.

BTW my last VIAIR failed and it is not possible to get it repaired. Just a China made thing and a seller named VIAIR. Probably all compressors named are the same, meaning not repairable.

bajajoaquin - 5-11-2024 at 06:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I love my 'cheap' MV-50... fills 16"x 32" tires fast (3 minutes=15 psi gain). It hasn't failed (except once when I accidentally P-nched the tub while it was running)!

I had the Harbor Freight one but the fuse got so hot it would melt (not blow)... It was a tiny bit faster doing about 6 psi per minute... But with the fuse case getting so hot, it wasn't easy to fill all four without a break. The MV-50 has no such issues and was under $85.

The MV50 has been the inexpensive standard over at the Expo forum for a long time. There’s also a lot of chatter about the new dual-head version.

PaulW - 5-11-2024 at 07:23 AM

MV-50
Flow up to 2.54 CFM at 90 PSI. (72 lpm)
I found that after all these years it is still available at
https://superflowair.com/products/mv-50-air-compressor-1
Look at it and see if it looks the same.

David K - 5-11-2024 at 09:34 AM

The photo I posted (of the box image) is in your link, so yes.. the same one. Mine inflates my 265/75-16" Tacoma tires at the rate of 5 psi per minute (going from 15 to 30 psi, in 3 minutes).