BajaNomad

CARRYING VHF RADIOS FOR SAFETY

shari - 5-15-2006 at 07:25 PM

I have a good suggestion for baja travellers and lots of our visitors followed my advice and are very glad they did! I suggest buying a VHF radio, either base or even easier is a handheld radio. Everyone on the coast moniters channel 16 and it is an excellent saftey idea for when you break down, get sick or are in trouble. Here in baja the group Proteccion Civil (like a volunteer help squad) also monitor the radio and are quick to respond. When friends are coming our way, they call me on the radio if they have trouble on the road. Also it's a great thing to take fishing, or kayaking as well just to be safe. think about it and make it part of your baja safety kit. (West Marine often has cheap and good radios on special)

Skeet/Loreto - 5-15-2006 at 07:45 PM

Shari: Excellent Advice and a beautifull web Site;

Bill and Betty Riffe of Loreto have mantained on channell 16 for many years out of Loreto, checking in each morning with the Sailing Vessels at Port Escondido and all vessels under way.
Many emergencies, help has been given over the years.
Keep up the Good Work.

Skeet/Loreto

Frank - 5-15-2006 at 09:57 PM

I always have a handheld VHF with us when we drive down. You can get a inexpensive one for about $100.00

bancoduo - 5-15-2006 at 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
I always have a handheld VHF with us when we drive down. You can get a inexpensive one for about $100.00
What is the range?

Midland Radio has one cheaper than-----

Barry A. - 5-15-2006 at 10:08 PM

-------$100, and it is a 5 watt, which is pretty powerful for a handheld. Type in "The Sportsman's Guide" .

I have had excellent performance from Midland, over the years.

Cardon - 5-15-2006 at 10:50 PM

When I"m near Puerto Escondido I like to listen in to the sailor's VHF net every morning at 8:00am. Just listen to channel 16 at that time and someone will direct you to the right channel which I think is channel 21 or 22. They have lots of good info. La Paz also has their own net but I don't know the details. They discuss things like tides,weather, who needs help,who needs crew, jokes or just anything to do with sailing in Baja-its fun.

BajaNomad - 5-16-2006 at 12:52 AM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=9046

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=10028

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=12183

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=13601

bajaguy - 5-16-2006 at 04:46 AM

I have 2 of the Midland VHF radios. They are $59 each in the Sportsmans Guide and the Overtons boat catalog. Run off of 4 AA batteries.

capt. mike - 5-16-2006 at 05:47 AM

overtons has em.

nada at sportmans. only GMRS

Capt. Mike (and all others)---

Barry A. - 5-16-2006 at 07:49 AM

------keep watching "The Sportsman's Guide"----they DO get the Midland Nautico Radios in from time to time, and they are under $100. That is where I bought mine.

Better yet, get on their mailing list.

bajalou - 5-16-2006 at 07:55 AM

West Marine has Uniden M72 handheld "From $39 US" Also some at $99.

Diver - 5-16-2006 at 08:11 AM

Careful of the cheaper ones that have less power output.
Go with the 5 watt handhelds for use as anything but a convenience.
When you need to be heard, you want to carry as far as you can.

Uniden/West Marine

Hook - 5-16-2006 at 09:28 AM

West Marine sells a couple of Uniden-made VHF radios that will interface with the Uniden WAM mic. This is essentially a wireless remote for a full sized VHF radio. I put one inside my Lance and I can range about 100 feet from the rig and still transmit and receive at a full 25 watts. Came with a charging stand that works with 12v or 110v. NiMH cells. Also has a belt clip and wrist lanyard.

If I had decided to mount the transceiver that "talks" to the remote control on the outside of the Lance, it might get even more range. But I wanted it inside and use it for listening and transmitting while sitting outside.

I also use it while driving, if necessary, with the antenna at about a 30 degree angle on the roof.

You can find the compatible radios on sale for as low as 130.00 and the remote mic is another 90.00 or so.

I would not count on a handheld for any emergency unless you are certain that other listeners are within 5-10 miles. That's rarely certain in Baja.

[Edited on 5-16-2006 by Hook]

25 watts vs 8 watts

dravnx - 5-16-2006 at 10:05 AM

VHF is line of site. Doesn't matter how much wattage the radio puts out. If your down in a canyon, you can't talk to anyone. We use handheld radios in aircraft that can do 50 miles at less then 2 watts. Why? Because we are line of site. I have used my marine VHF with an antenna on the roof and have talked with the Coasties 25 miles away.

Marinero - 5-16-2006 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dravnx
VHF is line of site. Doesn't matter how much wattage the radio puts out. If your down in a canyon, you can't talk to anyone. We use handheld radios in aircraft that can do 50 miles at less then 2 watts. Why? Because we are line of site. I have used my marine VHF with an antenna on the roof and have talked with the Coasties 25 miles away.

Good call on the line of sight feature of VHF radio. With your roof antenna you can extend the horizon a considerable distance. In theory, the higher the better. Be careful though of over-long antennae leads which can be a problem. If all else fails, climb a hill.

VHF

rob - 5-16-2006 at 02:07 PM

I thought VHF was illegal except on a vessel - not sure how/if this is enforced in Mexico (SCT used to do sporadic inspections of homes in the late 90s looking for illegal VHF antennas, so I am told - this in the days when getting a phone took years).

Diver - 5-16-2006 at 02:07 PM

Yes as to line of site and climbing a hill but when you are miles offshore in tall waves and spray or within an area with trees and buildings partially blocking the line of site, more wattage does help. Even the coast guard doesn't consider the 2 watt handhelds as sufficient safety gear.

Given the same line of site situation at long range, more wattage will also put out a stronger, more readable signal.

Don't cheap out if you will use it for your safety.
I doubt any pilot would be comfortable with nothing but a 2 watt VHF to depend on !

Marinero - 5-16-2006 at 02:22 PM

I forgot how hard it is to climb a hill when you are in the midst of tall waves and spray. Good point.

bajalou - 5-16-2006 at 02:50 PM

I've talked to a friend on the beach in Puerto Penaso from my home - base set transmitting on 5w, he was on a hand held - 1 or 5w - over 85 miles across Sea of Cortez. I'm at about 450ft elevation with a 6ft antena

comitan - 5-16-2006 at 03:06 PM

2 more examples, La Paz 2000' 25W base to San Carlos Marina boat.

Conception Bay 25W base on boat to San Carlos Marina on boat.

Don't know what these distances are but are considerable.

peg - 5-16-2006 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I have a good suggestion for baja travellers and lots of our visitors followed my advice and are very glad they did! I suggest buying a VHF radio,

VHF radios are for marine use only. Use for anything other than marine is subject to a very large fine and the threat of incarceration. This is stated very clearly in the instructions of every VHF radio I have seen. You are required to obtain a license for international marine use. CB (Citizens Band) or walkie talkie's is the appropriate radio for land use. The Federales or Policia can arrest you for land use of a VHF radio. It is obvious from the various postings on this topic that most people have no idea how to use a VHF appropriately. Inappropriate use is a red flag to the authorities to track you down. If you are busted, ignorance will not be a defensible excuse. Search on the Internet for VHF limitations and licensing, it is all spelled out there.

Diver - 5-16-2006 at 07:17 PM

Hey newbie, lighten up !!

Many Baja veterans have used them for years.
In many areas it is the accepted way to communicate.
Cell phone coverage is still spotty in Baja leaving the marine radios as the only method of contacting neighbors or calling for help.
CB or toy walkie-talkies usually don't get out far enough unless you're on the road or near some towns where they are still used quite a bit.

Are you with the MCC ??

I'm SOOOO Scared

MrBillM - 5-16-2006 at 07:55 PM

I don't know about you, but I'm sitting here shivering with fear now that I know I've been breaking the law (for about 20 years or so). IF only I'd known. Please forgive me. I can't face the idea of incarceration. Please, Lord, I've repented. I won't ever do it again. Well, maybe tomorrow.

bajalou - 5-16-2006 at 09:34 PM

Better tell the taxi drivers about those laws, they have their own channel in this area.

villadelfin - 5-16-2006 at 11:08 PM

http://www.boatwashington.org/marine_radio_information.htm

oxxo - 5-17-2006 at 06:37 AM

Some of you have replied with sarcasm and ridicule, is this the norm for the typical Baja Nomad?

The use of VHF radios as proposed on this forum is illegal and could possibly endanger others (marine use) who are using it legally. VHF is an international system with international rules. This from the US Coast Guard FAQ site:

"Question: I live far from the ocean. Now that portable VHF marine radios are inexpensive and unlicensed (for use in the United States), and have 68 channels, can I use them for communicating with my buddies while hunting or similar purposes off the water? A recent outdoors magazine recommended I consider doing so.

Answer: No! Although the FCC does not require boaters with these radios have a license, users not following FCC rules on the use of these radios are still subject to severe fines. Although you may not be near the ocean, you may be near an inland waterway, or propagation anomalies may cause your transmission to be heard in a waterway. If this occurs, depending upon the channel on which you are transmitting, you could interfere with a search and rescue case, or help cause a collision between passing ships. The FCC recently established a family radio service for the purposes you describe. Consider using it instead."

The increased use of VHF radios in an inappropriate and illegal manner will lead to more regulation and restrictions. I think that nobody wants more regulation. Use VHF radios for their intended purpose.

villadelfin - 5-17-2006 at 08:13 AM

Who was sarcastic or ridiculous! Stop it all of you.

Bad nomads, bad!

Oxxo----

Barry A. - 5-17-2006 at 08:39 AM

------it is just that for those of us that have been "Nomads" for several years this marine VHF conversation has gone on many, many times. We are all aware of what Marine Radios are intended to be used for. What people do individually is up to them--------and no amount of chastisement is going to do anything more than irritate, but your points are well taken.

Betcha don't use that marine VHF....

neilmac - 5-17-2006 at 08:51 AM

up in Maricopa county!

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
I don't know about you, but I'm sitting here shivering with fear now that I know I've been breaking the law (for about 20 years or so). IF only I'd known. Please forgive me. I can't face the idea of incarceration. Please, Lord, I've repented. I won't ever do it again. Well, maybe tomorrow.

Neil

Debra - 5-17-2006 at 08:52 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol: "lencho" that was funny!

comitan - 5-17-2006 at 09:05 AM

All this about breaking the FCC rules will someone remind me that the people that are using the VHF radios in their homes are in Mexico and they have their own set of rules. Yes SCT Mexico enforces their rules, some base stations in homes have been confiscated, but also Portable handhelds (used extensivly by the Yachtes) have been confiscated.

[Edited on 5-17-2006 by comitan]

bajalou - 5-17-2006 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Most of my friends in Baja use 2 meter radios.Lots more distance because of repeater towers.

Interesting. Whose repeaters are they? Is this amatur radio bands?

--Larry

Any info about locations and freq's of the repeaters. In the US they are operated by Ham Clubs and their are directories of freq's

Diver - 5-17-2006 at 09:25 AM

There is no central listing that I am aware of but if you google "baja ham radio repeater", you will get hits on a few clubs that list their repeater frequencies.

bajalou - 5-17-2006 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Maybe Wild Bill or Elena La Loca can answer your question.
I know that the ranchos use two meters.
Also when I took one down to a friend he had to cut/remove a wire to be able to get it to work correctly.

Sounds like he cut the diod to open up the transmit freq's. They then can operate on a lot of commercial freq's as well as the Marine bands.

shari - 5-17-2006 at 10:08 AM

My goodness, this thread certainly opened a can of worms...just for the record, I am a licensed radio operator and have a panga and a sail boat and my husband is a ham operator working with the local Protecion Civil who are licensed to carry and operate radios, just in case a fellow Nomad wants to turn me in. Hey, my suggestion of having a VHF on hand has saved a few friends butts over the years and we have helped lots of people who put out radio calls. We moniter channel 16... 24/7 for this reason and are aware of how annoying radio abuse is...when yachties read their shopping lists to their wives onshore and the tuna fishermen play ranchero music for all to enjoy. It would be great if all radio owners familiarize themselves with proper radio protocol and better yet, get licenses..I'm all for that for sure...but I am amazed at the number of people that come here and go fishing, kayaking and diving who do not have radios...we end up worrying about them when they are overdue and have to launch search parties to find them and it's a real pain in the trasero. Sorry for bringing up this topic again all you Nomad oldies...I'm the new kid on the beach remember!

bajalou - 5-17-2006 at 10:13 AM

Good advice no matter what, shari

Believe the FCC in the old country allows transmission by any person on any radio in matters of extreeme emergence - life threatening situations.

Bad Boy Radio Renegade

MrBillM - 5-17-2006 at 10:54 AM

Neil - I use my various Marine Radios ANYWHERE I feel like it and have NEVER felt in danger of citation OR arrest. I even use my Cobra 2.5 watts when the wife and I roam Walmart or other stores. Away from the coast there is something like ZERO chance that you'll be DF'd by the FCC. Even ON the coast, there is little chance. Besides, when we used them down in San Diego, we used ficticious Boat Names. Although you are required to use your call letters during the transmission, nobody (well, maybe one percent) does and the Coast Guard doesn't do ANYTHING. They can't even catch up with the Jerk Kids who play games on the Radio. Since I NEVER use channel 9 or 16, the thought that I could endanger someone in distress is pure BS.

Speaking of 2-meter band radios, legally, that's a real NO-NO. Maybe Oxxo can get on that and leave us alone. In the past, I was kept busy on numerous trips North picking up 2-meters for Mexicans. There should be a real surplus now in the San Felipe area for 2-meters since EVERY Mexican I know now uses a Cel Phone. In Percebu, they call from house to house on their Mex Cel Phones. There should be a lot of used 2-meters available.

Lastly, I have no intention to travel to Maricopa County, but I would feel completely safe using my radios there, too. Ol Joe is not running around with DF equipment hunting down Marine VHF abusers. Even if he were, he wouldn't catch me. This is one of those situations where anybody DUMB enough to get caught deserves everything he gets hit with.

[Edited on 5-17-2006 by MrBillM]

Jack Swords - 5-17-2006 at 03:08 PM

The following is from a previous post of mine on the same topic:

"VHF Radio usage"

"Usage of the VHF FM channels is very common in Baja, but please be aware that these channels are used by the Navy, immigration, Pemex, and Port Captains, and, importantly, for distress calls by boats. In La Paz and many areas, channel 22 is the hailing channel. Everybody monitors this channel. When you make contact with someone on Ch 22, then switch to another unused channel so others can use the hailing channel and not have to listen to your conversation. Channels 24 thru 28 are duplex only and require a special radio, so don't move to these channels, it won't work. Ch 14 is reserved for Port Captains, Ch 9 is Pemex, Ch 10 and 11 are Navy, Ch 74 is Ferry business, Ch 83 is immigration, and Ch 88 is Aduana. Obviously you wouldn't want to block communications with Aduana or the others. Channel 16 is an international calling frequency for ships, monitored by the Navy and Port Captains and commercial shipping. This leaves many channels to switch to to enjoy your radio contact without interference to others. There is also a marked difference in signal strength between the lower channels (like 5) and the higher ones (like 68). If you lose contact try going up or down in frequency. These are not private conversations and everybody will know your business. Kinda like a party line."

Now it is a given that the VHF marine radio is used in Mexico on land, sea, etc.. It has been for many years. Typical radios in a boat/car run 25 watts. FRS radios do not compare. In response that "yachties" in Bahia Asuncion talk on channel 16 (the calling channel, monitored by Mexican Navy and Port authorities, commercial ships) and give lengthy "shopping lists to shore", if that is true, a simple reminder to switch to another channel will suffice. Most cruisers know ch. 16 is only for calling, distress, etc. and always switch to another channel. Ham radio operators in Mexico have repeaters for the two meter band. Few are open, most require a special tone to be transmitted with the transmission to get them to operate. Without 2 meter repeaters, a marine VHF radio is more reliable simply due to the fact that there are more people monitoring these frequencies. Most boats are monitoring ch 16 when out at sea as this is the calling freq.

SCT regulates radio communications in Mexico. Even hams are required to get a Merxican reciprocal license to operate in Mexico. Boaters are required to have an operator and station license for their VHF in Mexico (also radar, EPIRB, etc). Enforcement is ineffective so the aforementioned is pretty open. It would seem that one needs to be aware of the fact that their communications can interfere with others and avoid that possibility.

Jack Swords, s/v La Paloma, N1IY

Jack

MrBillM - 5-17-2006 at 04:04 PM

Yada, Yada, Yada.

So What !

You do it your way and I'll do it mine. Betcha I never get caught.

Jack Swords - 5-17-2006 at 05:16 PM

Mr. Bill...

Read my post again! Never once did I criticize your usage. Quite the contrary, it was a post indicating that VHF marine is a part of life in Baja for locals and others. It is an effective means of communication. I simply tried to show that there are others who use it for commercial, government and emergency needs and we need to be aware of certain channels to avoid. That does not negate its usefulness to you or others. As an Extra Class Ham, a sailboat cruiser, resident of Baja, I thought I could offer some useful information to the thread. I am sorry that you took offense to the post. That certainly was not its intent.

Diver - 5-17-2006 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Betcha I never get caught.

Famous last words of Scott Peterson, I believe. :biggrin:

Mea Culpa, Jack

MrBillM - 5-17-2006 at 10:08 PM

I went back and read your post again. I realize that I gave it a negative slant that wasn't there.

Diver's one line barb on the other hand, is pretty dumb, and inaccurate in what it is trying to convey. If Dumpster Diver wants to talk about Murder specifically, the statistics I saw years ago indicated that less than 50 % of homicides resulted in an arrest. Of those arrested, less than 50 % go to trial and of those tried, less than 50 % result in convictions. So, when someone says you can't get away with murder, they're full of CACA. The odds are on your side. I can attest to that and so can OJ. There are, of course, some real Dummies. Scotty would fit into that category.

Diver - 5-17-2006 at 10:22 PM

Bill, Bill, Bill....

?"Dumpster Diver"?

So what was I actually trying to convey ?
Obviously nothing you imagined !

You sure are quick to insult. Maybe I'll get and apology too after you re-think. No way my comment deserved that line of cr-p.

Defending your personal right to brake the law ?
Or maybe you really believe that many wrongs make a right ??

You know how many people I know who've done illegal things, said "I'll never get caught" and were so totally amazed when their butts were arrested.

I hope you never get caught but ..... well, then again; VHF in Walmart ? :rolleyes:

Radio Walmart

MrBillM - 5-18-2006 at 08:38 PM

The VHF FRS radios I have eat AAA Batteries too fast.

The Cobra Marines work a lot better. We use Chnl 72 (ship to ship). So far, no FCC DFing in Yucca Valley or Palm Desert. At least I don't think so.

Barry A. - 5-18-2006 at 09:46 PM

MIDLAND FRS-GMRS radios use 4 AA batteries, which will last a week, or more, with the radio on 8 hours a day----or you can use NM hydride rechargable AA batteries and never have to purchase batteries. They are 4 watt, but you can pay a little more and get 5 watt is you want.

They can be bought at "The Sportsman's Guide" for about $25 each on sale, and they work great. (at least they were available about 2 months ago)

I am so convinced of the quality of MIDLAND that, yes, I do own the stock.

Bob and Susan - 5-19-2006 at 03:42 AM

the technology is from the dinosaur age....

everyone has cell and sat phones now...
and of course the internet with instant messaging and video hook-up...

the government doesn't care about VHF or FRS or CB's

i'll bet no one ever questions mr. bill...

remember you guys are adventurers...
who else goes where there are no cells and no electricty?

Maybe so, B & S-----

Barry A. - 5-19-2006 at 06:21 AM

-----but the little handi-talkies sure come in handy for talking car to car, or person to person when overseas and none of our cell phones seem to work. We use our little handi-talkies more than our cell phones even here in the USA when talking person to person in stores, in 2+ cars, or on hikes, etc.. I guess it is just all in what you are comfortable with, and are willing to pay for. (Conversations on handi-talkies are free)

Bob and Susan - 5-19-2006 at 06:35 AM

yea...i JUST bought 4 Cobras last week for a "caravan" to Mulege in OCT...

you are right...

~4.50 each EBAY....it took two weeks to finally win a bid:lol:

B & S--------$4.50 each?????

Barry A. - 5-19-2006 at 06:40 AM

-------now THAT is a good price :yes:

Love it!!

Barry

Bob and Susan - 5-19-2006 at 06:53 AM

and that included shipping!!!

don't we live in a great age..so many TOYS:spingrin:

BUT..........

MrBillM - 5-19-2006 at 09:04 AM

Since I already OWN the Cobra 2.5 Watt Marine VHF why should I buy additional radios ? Should the canales ever become crowded in YV, perhaps I'll change. That's really likely, isn't it ?