BajaNomad

Restoring cars in Baja?

Reas - 7-24-2012 at 09:23 AM

I'm posting this for a buddy who's having computer issues today :)

Hello,

I am a UK citizen looking at living in Baja, within a 10hrs drive from the border.

I lived in the States for 20 years and accumulated a few classic car projects.I am a classic car mechanic/restorer and currently have several classic triumph cars stored in in the US just north of the san ysidro border crossing. I would want to restore/refurbish the cars in Baja before putting them up for sale either in Baja or the states

I was planning a trip there within the next couple of weeks but was advised that I should find out what issues, if any, there would be with me bringing a car south across the border that is on a trailer and obviously not drive-able.

Assuming that bringing it in could be done, what would be the issues of taking it back across the border when it was finished.

The cars are not extremely high value just some classic late 60's Triumphs valued less than 10K when restored
I would also be interested in employment there if there is any in my field of expertise.

Thanks

Andrew

[Edited on 7-24-2012 by Reas]

cars

captkw - 7-24-2012 at 09:39 AM

HOLA< upoustry and body work done cheap and anything else you will be out of luck..and forget about any electrical work with posative ground will mess with their head..LOL when I was a young lad I had guy that would buy a old classic and bring to me and I got it up and running then he would drive down to T.J. for body and inteier work..he found out in a hurry that if he did not stay at the shop all day that the work did not get done !! and not to break out the beer till the work day was over!! wish ya luck..K & T :cool:

bajaguy - 7-24-2012 at 10:06 AM

There is a classic car group in Ensenada. I will try and find the information.

Reas - 7-24-2012 at 10:11 AM

Thanks folks :)

Just to clarify on Andrews behalf, he will be doing all the work himself. He is a rare breed that can do upholstery/body/engine/electrical/mechanical

I know he's trying hard to sort his computer out so he can get on here himself today :)

bajaguy - 7-24-2012 at 10:24 AM

The farther away from the border, the more difficult his project(s) will be.

Transporting the cars (and parts, supplies,tools) across the border in either direction may open a Pandora's box of problems (opportunities). And if he is "working" and selling cars in Baja, he will need the proper FM-2 or FM-3.

bajaguy - 7-24-2012 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
La Paz is a major car town as is Centinario, there you can get parts from all over including Guadalajara and there are many junk yards and of course many shops. Parts are often from California but can be brought down.

If you are bring your cars down and selling them to another person one on one, US Resident to US Resident there are no special regulations or requirement for working visa only for a commercial business.

There is a special registration from the DMV for a round trip or one way trip for this type of situation. I've done it before and it cost $15 for a round trip anywhere you want to go, both being transported and driven.
There

I don't think you are going to find many parts for "classic late 60's Triumph cars" in LaPaz, Centinario or Guadlajara........but I could be wrong.

" I would also be interested in employment there if there is any in my field of expertise."......................gonna need an FM-2 or FM-3 allowing employment.

TecateRay - 7-24-2012 at 11:39 AM

Horsepower Ranch, on the outskirts of Ensenada has a full service shop that has started doing car restorations. They were formerly strictly an off road shop as part of Wide Open Baja Tours, but business changes have taken them in a different direction. I don't have contact info but you can probably find them of the web and begin your queries.

Maybe you can work a deal where you work on the cars at their shop? Who knows?

Bob and Susan - 7-24-2012 at 12:45 PM

this is a BAD idea...

there is NO support for parts in baja for these

i would stay in the states for these restoration projects
at least then you would have places for supplies

there are very few triumphs left in california still running let alone in baja

i've had triumphs and mg's and sunbeams...you need supplies for restorations of cars not manufactured anymore

capt. mike - 7-24-2012 at 01:11 PM

try owning an aircraft built in 1961. It is a constant restoration project no matter where you fly.
and of course once the factory [Piper in my case] orphans the model you have ZERO parts support.
Piper orphaned the Comanche line in 1974 effectively and then permanently when it went BK and reorganized later as New Piper Corp.

Parts are ridiculously priced when you can find them - usually salvage yards as there is no NOS around. I just paid $250 for a 6 X 6:00 split wheel assy. ouch....

i can only imagine what you'd have working on old British cars in baja...

Maybe Sid in Mulege could do it!!?? hahahaha.

Jonny's Auto Service in Rosarito

Gypsy Jan - 7-24-2012 at 02:24 PM

We have been customers of Jonny for many years and over that time I have seen several classic cars in his lot. I know that some people use him to fix up old cars and then sell them on eBay.

He speaks English (his mechanics, not so much).

Phone number (from U.S. to Mexico): [52] 661 612 1033

DENNIS - 7-24-2012 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Reas
Thanks folks :)

Just to clarify on Andrews behalf, he will be doing all the work himself. He is a rare breed that can do upholstery/body/engine/electrical/mechanical

Perhaps you would explain the ramifications of competing with the local tradesmen in these fields [and there are many]....if he doesn't already know. [I'm assuming that he's less than legal to do these things]

msteve1014 - 7-24-2012 at 04:48 PM

If he is working on his own cars he is not "competing" with the locals.

The big problem I see with this is getting parts you need quickly. It may take a very long time, and cost a lot more than it would have in California.

J.P. - 7-24-2012 at 05:12 PM

The plus side of the restoration thing, the local mechanics are real good at FIXING things the general public most often don't have the funds to Replace parts like they do in the U.S.

[Edited on 7-25-2012 by J.P.]

DENNIS - 7-24-2012 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
If he is working on his own cars he is not "competing" with the locals.

true enough. I was only going by his request: "I would also be interested in employment there if there is any in my field of expertise."

[Edited on 7-25-2012 by DENNIS]

FORGET RESTORE WHILE IN BAJA !!!

captkw - 7-24-2012 at 05:51 PM

:lol::lol::lol: ARE YA NUTS!!!

BajaDixon - 7-24-2012 at 08:04 PM

For setting up a shop for restoration work the San Quintin area might work out well. You're only 4 hours from the border so going up to San Diego to get parts etc would be easy. Crossing the border in either direction with a trailered vehicle is no problem.

Unless you want to work for 2 or 3 dollars an hour there probably won't be too many employment options. There is a gringo in the area who does auto repair but he is married to a mexican and has been acclimated into the community for 25 years.

DENNIS - 7-24-2012 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Definitely, who would go to baja to fix up a car,

If the work was very high quality, I could see this as a good border town enterprise, drawing customers from the north, but that isn't the case here.
Anyway.....good luck.

I didn't see Bajadixons post before putting this up. I think we have similar ideas.
Sorry about that BD.

[Edited on 7-25-2012 by DENNIS]

gt6pilot - 7-25-2012 at 01:14 AM

Hello Guys, thanks so much for all the input, I am now able to post myself, so just to clarify a few points,

I am not looking to compete with the locals for work, I have the cars and will do most of the work myself, and likely sub out paint/body to a local craftsman.

I have been working on/ restoring these and other cars for well over 20 years and I do very high quality work, I became very disillusioned with the cost and quality of any work I had to sublet out in the US.

To do a proper restoration takes time, patience and attention to detail and of course a certain amount of ability. I want to be able to work at my own pace do the work right without the constraints of ridiculous overheads

I do have a 20 year accumulation of parts for these cars and new parts can be ordered easily and then brought across the border.

I am looking at relocating from the UK/US to Baja and I want to do it properly so that I do not have the problems I had in the States, I will post a new thread about that topic.

I will be there on a vacation/fact finding trip in a few weeks and am so looking forward to it.

willyAirstream - 7-25-2012 at 06:36 AM

Once you are settled in a place nd get to know the local mechanics, you will find theyhave a great interest in all classic cars. I have a classic and do most of my own work. Iget invited to any car related events and locals know me by my rides. Local mech. Volunteer to loan me tools, take parts to check fit, offer advice etc - there is a car community that support each other. Bring all your parts and tools, find a secure place to work and your dream can happen.

GET A GRIP !!!!

captkw - 7-25-2012 at 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw

GNUKID

captkw - 7-25-2012 at 10:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Definitely, who would go to baja to fix up a car, there is time, space, people to help and watch, and everyone is fixing up their car, when instead you can go to LA or San Diego and just pay $120/hr to have some real "pros" work on it.
I DO THINK TRYING TO RESTORE A CAR IN BAJA WILL PROVE TO BE NIGHTMARE IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE..HELL TRYING GET ANY THING DONE IN BAJA TAKES ALOT OF EFFORT..NO?

gt6pilot - 7-26-2012 at 01:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely, who would go to baja to fix up a car, there is time, space, people to help and watch, and everyone is fixing up their car, when instead you can go to LA or San Diego and just pay $120/hr to have some real "pros" work on it.
I DO THINK TRYING TO RESTORE A CAR IN BAJA WILL PROVE TO BE NIGHTMARE IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE..HELL TRYING GET ANY THING DONE IN BAJA TAKES ALOT OF EFFORT..NO?

The whole point of the question was to find out how feasible it would be for me to take my own cars to Baja and find somewhere where I could live and work on them, again I can and do do almost all of the work with my own hands.

The question was more about the issues that might have existed with bringing the cars in and out across the border.

That all sounds like it is fine, now I have to figure out the visa side and somewhere to do it... and that involves taking the trip to see.

Marc - 7-26-2012 at 06:29 AM

Speaking of classic cars; Conception Bay 2008.

restore

captkw - 7-26-2012 at 07:40 AM

HOLA,being a mechanic my entire life and have also lived in baja since I was a 17 years old (winters)..I do not consider throwing a few parts at a car restoreing a car..restoreing a car is a very intense time consuming labor of love... the term" body off,,rewire..recrome" all come to mind rather quikly..so I think we are talking to different angles...but,hey what do I know (very Little) lol compete restores..1962 corvette w/396....YA BABY !! 1971 jag XJ6 LT-1 w/T400..1970 MJB...1969 camario complet frame off with stock 6cly to name a few I have done and would not even think of a real restore in baja in IMO..just a saying..restoreing a car is SLOOOOW in the best of conditions and even slower in baja..NO? K & T:cool:

[Edited on 7-26-2012 by captkw]

[Edited on 7-26-2012 by captkw]

larryC - 7-26-2012 at 08:01 AM

gt6pilot
I live in Bahia de los Angeles, I don't restore cars but I work on and keep my own cars running. I think you could do what you want to do down here no problem. Here in Bahia there is a always someone going north that is willing to help bring some parts down. Certainly not as convient as running up to the local auto parts place here in San Diego, but if you have the time then you can get anything done down here that you want to. You just need a place with a garage and power for your tools. Oh wait I happen to have a place just like that for sale, check this out:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=33821
Lots of people down here have hobbies besides fishing that they engage in and are quite successful at. Down here there has not been any problems from the locals, actually they are mostly helpful. Come on down and check it out, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Larry

J.P. - 7-26-2012 at 09:03 AM

I have always had a love for Old Cars.in the past I have restored quite a few. When I see cars restored down here most of them are 25 footer's, as stated above restoration is a Labor of Love suplemented with huge amounts of money and time. Which in my opinion is a huge waste of Labor, Money and Time if you are going to use it as a Driver.
When involved in the process one needs to decide early on what the projece is going to be used for
Most of the ones in the past that I restored became Trailer Queen's. Because I went over board in the Labor and Money Dept.

durrelllrobert - 7-26-2012 at 10:26 AM

I restored a lot of cars in my younger days including some British ones (TC MG, XKE Jag and Rover) but mostly older Model A and B Fords. My last one was the body-off '35 Studebaker in my Avatar which is a crusier with Corvette independent suspension, disc brakes, engine, tranny etc. I would never attempt any of this in Baja.

willyAirstream - 7-26-2012 at 12:13 PM

That looks like a 1974 Souvern Airstream. Nice! btw, thanks again, it was a fun day or 2 :)

Probably already answered Triumph GT s questions but....

I help friends get parts here and so far this is the easiest and fastest - I find the part online with part numbers and descriptions and print it out, then take it to Armando at the Auto Parts store/ mechanic shop just south of Mulege on the highway, he faxes it to 4-5 parts stores in La Paz and the part gets shipped here via Baja Pak, bus, in a day or 2 ( or 3-4 )

I was there today - He is working on a '59 Chevy Apache pu, a fiat spyder, a vw buw, a trophy truck, a sand rail and various local hondas and toyotas.

fwiw, I have a house with a huge yard, a large garage and tons of room for my shop/art space for 1/3rd of what the same would cost in rural Colorado.

Local Mulege car show pic - note the "recycle" sign. Everything here gets recycled except plastic bags.
and a pic of the local talent volunteering to help ...

[Edited on 7-26-2012 by willyAirstream]

[Edited on 7-27-2012 by willyAirstream]

gt6pilot - 7-27-2012 at 05:44 PM

I am not planning on keeping them, well maybe one. In this day and age selling anything from any where is possible thanks to that great invention the WWW.
It may be a little more involved from some places but that will just add to the fun.

I love the fact that the car culture is obviously alive and well down there and look forward to seeing some of them on my travels.