BajaNomad

Baja cactus

mooose29 - 11-17-2012 at 10:37 AM

Do they allow dogs? We might stay there on Mon night. Also a contact number would be great.

[Edited on 11-17-2012 by mooose29]

David K - 11-17-2012 at 11:09 AM

If you must bring a dog (small?) into the room, Antonio asks you to please not allow it on the bed. Now, it has been quite some time since this was asked before... so you could alway just telephone the front desk and ask. If there isn't an English speaker (or Antonio) available when you call, try back during a different shift (unless you speak Spanish, of course).

The Baja Nomad direct phone line using a U.S. phone number is 619-694-1082

Marla Daily - 11-17-2012 at 11:23 AM

Yes they allow dogs. We always stay in room 108 because it is closest to the parking lot for letting the dogs out in the middle of the night if they need to go outside. The room has 2 king beds. And we bring in our dog beds, Remember to print out your Baja Nomad ID to get the hotel discount—a very nice thing for them to do!

WHAT IS BAJA CACTUS, YOU ASK?

David K - 11-17-2012 at 11:41 AM

For those who haven't stayed or stopped by... it is just past the Pemex station in El Rosario, and just before Mama Espinoza's restaurant and motel... for only about $40 a night, perhaps one of the finest motels anywhere (U.S. or Mexico):

Here are some photos of our room at Baja Cactus, El Rosario...

All beds king size, American custom made mattresses, pressure boosted water system for showers, satellite TV with English and Spanish channels, in room phones and can dial to anywhere in the world, in room coffee maker, complimentary shampoo, conditioner, hand creme, dimmer light, ceiling fan, heating and AC, Internet, 24 hour staffed lobby, security cameras in parking areas...

dtbushpilot - 11-17-2012 at 11:00 PM

Nobody asked.....

Thanks

mooose29 - 11-18-2012 at 12:11 AM

Thank you David appreciate the info.

[Edited on 11-18-2012 by mooose29]

Ateo - 11-18-2012 at 12:58 AM

Yep Dogs. Brought 2 last year. And just so everyone knows, the bathrooms at the gas station next door are officially certified as beyond usable. Clean and sanitary. Great job.

[Edited on 11-18-2012 by Ateo]

David K - 11-18-2012 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mooose29

You are very welcome!

Nobody asked, but I know there are thousands reading this forum who either are not registered, or do not post... some are shy or just don't want any confrontation with the bullies of the Internet. Baja Nomad is the source for the latest Baja travel details... and that is why I post travel details here, even when not asked.

Lee - 11-18-2012 at 10:05 AM

Stayed at the Tourist Motel once and was not impressed. So, Cactus is the only game in town -- if you choose El Rosario.

Downside: Even for the hard of hearing, trucks coming down the grade are heard at night. Add semi's idling at the Pemex next door making this a borderline endeavor.

No complaints about Baja Cactus itself.

An dog-OK options: San Quintin.

David K - 11-18-2012 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Stayed at the Tourist Motel once and was not impressed. So, Cactus is the only game in town -- if you choose El Rosario.

Downside: Even for the hard of hearing, trucks coming down the grade are heard at night. Add semi's idling at the Pemex next door making this a borderline endeavor.

Bummer that the Turista Motel has fallen in quality... we found it an excellent back up to when the Baja Cactus is full, and have stayed at the Turista two times...

We don't stay in the room at Cactus closest to the road (201), after I stayed there in 2004 and did hear the trucks... never been bothered in the others... (of course I was solo in '04, and maybe sleep better with Baja Angel?). I also like upstairs if available, since we don't get up early on vacation, and you do hear people walking about in and dropping things if you are below early risers.

Thanks for the feedback Lee... what was the issue at Turista (and have you stayed at Mama Espinoza's, Sinahi, or Baja's Best in El Rosario)? Mama's and the Sinahi would be used only in an emergency in my opinion... and Baja's Best is probably the nicest being a Bed & Breakfast and we did see the rooms that Ed has for rent... very nice.

dtbushpilot - 11-18-2012 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by mooose29

You are very welcome!

Nobody asked, but I know there are thousands reading this forum who either are not registered, or do not post... some are shy or just don't want any confrontation with the bullies of the Internet. Baja Nomad is the source for the latest Baja travel details... and that is why I post travel details here, even when not asked.

I know David, I was just bustin your chops in my usual smarta$$ way. Most of us (myself included) much appreciate your informative posts.;D:yes:;D

David K - 11-18-2012 at 10:57 AM

I know David...no worries amigo... Bummer we missed you in Los Barriles last July when we stopped for a late lunch with Bajatripper!

Lee - 11-18-2012 at 11:00 AM

I've only stayed at the Tourist Motel once. Had friends staying in a different room. Should have checked their room out but didn't.

Quality is what Baja Cactus has: nice size rooms, sheets, bathroom with good water pressure, and firm mattress. Tourist seemed to have worn sheets (though it was newly opened), and a very small bathroom. It felt typical of MX motels.

I've not seen the rooms at Baja's Best but will ask Ed for a showing. Sinaih only in an RV and would not stay there otherwise. I'll check out the rooms at Mama's next time through.

David -- thanks for promoting Baja Cactus. Nice places need our business.

Did ask Antonio once for ''David's Room'' and it was a very nice room. Forget the number

David K - 11-18-2012 at 11:10 AM

LOL... 'David' likes 202 the best, but any room at Baja Cactus (even the original rooms) beats any other place in town.

There was mold under the bathroom sink at Mama's (Ken Cooke showed me, and he has only stayed at Cactus since)...

Ed's has a nice B & B... but is is pricier than the motels.

Bajahowodd - 11-18-2012 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Bummer that the Turista Motel has fallen in quality... we found it an excellent back up to when the Baja Cactus is full, and have stayed at the Turista two times...

We don't stay in the room at Cactus closest to the road (201), after I stayed there in 2004 and did hear the trucks... never been bothered in the others... (of course I was solo in '04, and maybe sleep better with Baja Angel?). I also like upstairs if available, since we don't get up early on vacation, and you do hear people walking about in and dropping things if you are below early risers.

Thanks for the feedback Lee... what was the issue at Turista (and have you stayed at Mama Espinoza's, Sinahi, or Baja's Best in El Rosario)? Mama's and the Sinahi would be used only in an emergency in my opinion... and Baja's Best is probably the nicest being a Bed & Breakfast and we did see the rooms that Ed has for rent... very nice.

Of course! Never quite understood why folks make El Rosario a stopping point on long North/ South journeys.

Totally agree with Lee that, as a physical plant, Baja Cactus is excellent.

However, foe a number of years, we have chosen to stay in the San Quintin area traveling in both directions. Just a greater choice of good hotels (Jardines #1), and restaurants.

mtgoat666 - 11-18-2012 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
WHAT IS BAJA CACTUS, YOU ASK?

For those who haven't stayed or stopped by... it is just past the Pemex station...

they ever finish remodeling the pemex banos or hire a janitor to scrub those filthy banos? :?:

by the way, the answer to DK's questions is: OK fallback alternative if not staying at catavina hotel :spingrin::spingrin:

BajaNomad - 11-18-2012 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

they ever finish remodeling the pemex banos or hire a janitor to scrub those filthy banos? :?:

From Pompano in April:

reneske - 11-18-2012 at 06:56 PM

The problem with Baja Cactus is that there is really no place to eat, at least that we like. We prefer Jardines in San Quintin. They take dogs and they have a great place to eat right next door. I guess it is just a matter of preference.

mtgoat666 - 11-18-2012 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad

WOW!!!!! BANOS FIT FOR A KING!!!! TAJ MAJAL OF EL ROSARIO!!!! 9TH WONDER OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!

Motoman - 11-18-2012 at 07:18 PM

I've renamed the Cactus the Diesel Motel as that is what you hear at night coming down the hill when you stay there. If traveling north better to stay at Jardines. Better rooms, Garden of Eden surroundings and a 4star restaurant next door. Jardines is a quality oasis in a sea of Baja funk. Cactus is just a place with decent rooms next to the highway and the Pemex station.

Ateo - 11-18-2012 at 07:52 PM

Baja Cactus is very nice. Antonio should build a restaurant on the other side of the Pemex and it would rival Jardines. The banos at the gas station are terrific. I had the most enjoyable urination of my life in there on Wednesday morning. :spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

mcfez - 11-19-2012 at 07:22 AM

"......Dont let the dogs on beds"

Reminds me once again why I hate motels.......when do those bed covers ever get washed? :o:o:o

Baja Cactus has nothing but great reviews here at the BN.

ncampion - 11-19-2012 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
LOL... 'David' likes 202 the best, but any room at Baja Cactus (even the original rooms) beats any other place in town.

There was mold under the bathroom sink at Mama's (Ken Cooke showed me, and he has only stayed at Cactus since)...

WOW I'm sitting in room 202 at this very moment! I thought there was a kinda "special" feeling about it.
:lol::light::light:

Skipjack Joe - 11-19-2012 at 08:42 AM

Quote:

That's not a true statement.

David K - 11-19-2012 at 08:48 AM

Really? What motel there has a better room... maybe Turista but only Antonio has been helpful to travelers to such a degree that deserves our support.

mcfez - 11-19-2012 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
Quote:

WOW I'm sitting in room 202 at this very moment! I thought there was a kinda "special" feeling about it.
:lol::light::light:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

DianaT - 11-19-2012 at 11:01 AM

If you want a really lovely room where

--- there is no hassle at all about the dog, where they don't take your license and make you wait in the morning while they check the room

--- you don't hear the trucks on the highway

-- you have miles of dunes and beach to walk your dog --- and a very large parking area for a the quick walks

-- you have a beautiful view of the beach and ocean that is especially nice at sunrise

-- there is a very helpful and friendly staff

-- there is a quite good restaurant

Try the Hotel Santa Maria at the south end of San Quintin --- the former La Pinta/Desert Inn. It is 575 pesos out the door and well worth it.

Please don't let your dog eat your room and ruin a good thing. :-)

We also still at times stay at Jardins if one of their outside dog rooms is available.

Bubba - 11-19-2012 at 11:36 AM

Looks like a great deal for $40, I'm impressed.

Quote:
For those who haven't stayed or stopped by... it is just past the Pemex station in El Rosario, and just before Mama Espinoza's restaurant and motel... for only about $40 a night, perhaps one of the finest motels anywhere (U.S. or Mexico):

All beds king size, American custom made mattresses, pressure boosted water system for showers, satellite TV with English and Spanish channels, in room phones and can dial to anywhere in the world, in room coffee maker, complimentary shampoo, conditioner, hand creme, dimmer light, ceiling fan, heating and AC, Internet, 24 hour staffed lobby, security cameras in parking areas...

Lee - 11-19-2012 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba
Looks like a great deal for $40, I'm impressed.

Quote:

Get what you pay for in El Rosario, sorta. There is no competition in town. It's true, the desk holds your DL until the room is inspected when checking out. It's not a big deal considering the great rooms.

If you must stay in this town, make reservations if it's the weekend. The Cactus fills up.

pemex and lugnuts

captkw - 11-19-2012 at 07:46 PM

Ageing myself !! the gas staition around the corner was famous for looseing lug nuts on the rear and alot trailer tires !!! I'm not starting a rumor..This has been told at so many camp fires,dinners,bar and I myself have seen the damage my self on towed units !!! thank god that has quit since they redid the pemex a few years back.....So..does anyone have a story or ????? K&T:cool:

BajaNomad - 11-19-2012 at 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
It's true, the desk holds your DL until the room is inspected when checking out.

Can anyone confirm if they do this if you use your BajaNomad card? That would be new news. Used to not hold the DL if you had your BN card.

Thx.

BajaNomad - 11-19-2012 at 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
the gas staition around the corner

I'm assuming you're referring to another station "around the corner" from the Baja Cactus (like by the bus station)?

In January '92 I drove into what was then the Baja Cactus station in El Rosario in the wee hours of the morning. Was just the one island of gasoline pumps with no awning then, and a little attendant shack. Anyway, filled up the truck and went in to pay... and had to wake the attendant up to pay him, as he was fast asleep in his chair.

DOUG...

captkw - 11-19-2012 at 10:14 PM

How would a nomad get a card??? K&T:cool:

BajaNomad - 11-19-2012 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
How would a nomad get a card???

http://www.bajanomad.com/club/card.htm

David K - 11-19-2012 at 11:45 PM

The gas station "around the corner" was Mama Espinoza's... They lost their contract with Pemex many years ago, and now that is a propane station.
Since then, only Antonio's family station has been open in town.

There are photos of the gravity pumps of Antonio's family and of Mama Espinoza taken in the '50's or early 60's in the Howard Gulick collection. The original gravity gas pumps are on display in the motel parking areas of both places. In the old days before Pemex, one was a Standard Oil distributor and the other was a Union 76 distributor, I recall...

Skipjack Joe - 11-20-2012 at 12:01 AM

Quote:
Really? What motel there has a better room... maybe Turista but only Antonio has been helpful to travelers to such a degree that deserves our support.

Yes the rooms at Turista are better than Antonio's older rooms. And that is only natural. The Baja Cactus older rooms look to have been built 30-40 years ago when rooms of that caliber were competitive. Turista was completed just recently.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of Baja Cactus but prefer to not stretch the truth in order to support it. Baja Cactus can stand on it's own merit.

The biggest problem with Baja Cactus is that it's always full. Antonio's response: ".... and that's a problem?"

David K - 11-20-2012 at 12:09 AM

Right... and I have stayed at Turista twice... excellent mattress...

The Baja Cactus original rooms are old and someday will be torn down to make room for expanding the newer motel buildings additional rooms. Still, inside the old rooms (which are bigger than Turista) are beds, bathroom, TV... but older, yes... and cheaper. Shari used to rave about Baja Cactus and that was after only staying in the old rooms... (I told her she must treat herself to some luxury and try the new rooms)!

I am curious about Lee's post saying Turista has fallen in quality... The original owner died, and wondered if that was part of the problem? Has their restaurant been tried yet... or has it even opened?

ncampion - 11-20-2012 at 08:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
It's true, the desk holds your DL until the room is inspected when checking out.

Can anyone confirm if they do this if you use your BajaNomad card? That would be new news. Used to not hold the DL if you had your BN card.

Thx.

Stayed there two nights ago and they keep the BN card but do not even ask for a driver's license. They have not inspected the room in the morning for about a year in my experience, just give them the remote and key and they give back the card and off you go.

Mulegena - 11-20-2012 at 08:24 AM

I, too, dislike relinquishing my identification due to possible security issues,
but I really disliked when my room was inspected.

With my ID in his hand and without a word the man just walked out the lobby door.
Believe you me, I followed him like a dog on a hunt.

When we arrived at my vacated room I followed the fellow up there to monitor his actions.
He checked that I had not stolen the bed sheets, towels and was especially concerned that all four pillows were there and I'd not switched them out with inferior quality ones.

We then went back down to the lobby and he handed back my passport.
This does not sit well with me and is the only thing I can fault Baja Cactus.

mtgoat666 - 11-20-2012 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
I, too, dislike relinquishing my identification due to possible security issues,

With my ID in his hand and without a word the man just walked out the lobby door.

When we arrived at my vacated room I followed the fellow up there to monitor his actions.
He checked that I had not stolen the bed sheets, towels and was especially concerned that all four pillows were there and I'd not switched them out with inferior quality ones.

don't blame the hotel management, they are just trying to stay in business and have no way of knowing you are honest abe.
it's just a roadside motel fro travelers that rarely stay more than 8 hours,... it's sort of a truck-stop motel,... concern with theft is reasonable. they probably have good reason to inspect, school of hard knocks, and all that.

Mulegena - 11-20-2012 at 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

don't blame the hotel management, they are just trying to stay in business and have no way of knowing you are honest abe.
it's just a roadside motel fro travelers that rarely stay more than 8 hours,... it's sort of a truck-stop motel,... concern with theft is reasonable. they probably have good reason to inspect, school of hard knocks, and all that.

No worries, as I don't lift hotel things.
My significant concern and objection was someone taking my identification papers out from the hotel desk and leaving through the front door. That's not on!

license or passport

captkw - 11-20-2012 at 10:24 AM

no one in this world is going to take my papers and hold them.........................sheeple !!!!:rolleyes:

BajaNomad - 11-20-2012 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Thx.

Stayed there two nights ago and they keep the BN card but do not even ask for a driver's license. They have not inspected the room in the morning for about a year in my experience, just give them the remote and key and they give back the card and off you go.

Thank you for the reply on this.

Lee - 11-20-2012 at 11:55 AM

Tourista Motel: don't know if the motel has fallen in quality. The one time I stayed there it didn't feel like it had quality at all. Now, a firm, new mattress is definitely quality. Overall, the room was lacking. Maybe a first impression isn't fair here. Maybe I'm comparing it to the feel of Baja Cactus which, to me, is quality and the standard I hold motels to -- that is, where I'm willing to stay. I'll do another look/see next time through. Maybe I got an ''odd'' room?

So how do you like sleeping in the car?

thebajarunner - 11-20-2012 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
no one in this world is going to take my papers and hold them.........................sheeple !!!!:rolleyes:

Many places in Europe that is the law,
you hand over the passport or you do not get a room.
I share your uneasy sense about that system...

Bob and Susan - 11-20-2012 at 03:36 PM

the un-traveled...

redmesa - 11-20-2012 at 05:09 PM

I do not mind the id thing. It makes me think that the place is being careful. I often stay there and have no complaints.

Mulegena - 11-20-2012 at 06:08 PM

But are they being careful with your identification?
To me, that's the question.

I don't like relinquishing my identification to anyone for any reason. Relinquishing it to a police officer or using it to identify myself is one thing. Securing a room at Hotel Baja Cactus is another; I don't like the policy, but I accept it and comply when I stay there.

I do have issues of security of my identification-- legitimate, I believe-- when a hotel employee takes my ID out of the hotel safe-- let's assume it was in a locked safe-- and wanders around the grounds with it in hand. My confidence in said hotel has been breached. I object to that.

Politely ask me to wait a moment and go search my vacated room,
but leave my identification papers in the hotel office.

David K - 11-20-2012 at 06:16 PM

Again, when Antonio ('BajaCactus') was posting regularly here, he said that if you identified yourself as a Baja Nomad (printing the card is best way) the ID deposit is waved... Print the Nomad ID card, get a 10% discount and leave that card with them, as others have.

European tourists are used to leaving their passports with the front desk... it is standard procedure when staying in Europe... we did back in '85 when I toured Europe (overnight-ed in Greece, Italy, Switzerland, West Germany, France, U.K).

mulegejim - 11-20-2012 at 06:53 PM

How does one print a BN card - I did it once but don't seem to remember how. Jim

redmesa - 11-20-2012 at 06:53 PM

Last time in europe, we had to show our passports but they just wrote down our numbers and returned them. Lately at some rather upscale hotels in the u.s. we have had to secure our rooms with a refunable fee that was handled at check out. Next time at baja cactus i will try using my bajanomad id.

BajaNomad - 11-20-2012 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
How would a nomad get a card???

Just click. Enter your name. Then print.

David K - 11-20-2012 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegejim
How does one print a BN card - I did it once but don't seem to remember how. Jim

Doug posted the link in this thread, last night... here it is again:

wilderone - 11-22-2012 at 09:24 AM

Yes, big thumbs up for Baja Cactus, but not the only game in town (if you're discounting Tourista Motel). Baja's Best has a few rooms - spacious, with a grassy yard with a view, enclosed parking and adjacent restaurant. Food is great, rooms very comfortable. Located at the other end of town.

Skipjack Joe - 12-23-2012 at 04:33 AM

All the rooms have internet connectivity through ethernet. Bring your ethernet cable or ask for one at the front desk. The speed is too slow to watch a youtube video at 360 but definitely fast enough for most browsing.

David K - 1-5-2013 at 06:02 PM

Quote:

Skipjack Joe - 1-5-2013 at 07:33 PM

We had trouble with heating on our way north. With the heater full on we couldn't get the temp above 65, no matter how long it ran. I ended bringing up my sleeping bag for warmth. That was in one of the new rooms

The problem may be those vaulted ceilings , which require a lot more heat to maintain a high temp.

The showers felt luxuriously warm and abundant by bajas standards.

I have no problem leaving my DL at the desk.

Marla Daily - 1-6-2013 at 07:57 AM

Friday night (January 5) at Baja Cactus we presented our Baja Nomad card and paid for our room. BUT I had to return to the desk with a driver's license so it could be copied!!!! Why do they "need" to make a copy of identification? The woman at the desk said this was at the owner's instructions. She didn't want to get into trouble for disobeying his rules.

toneart - 1-6-2013 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:

David,
Didn't you mean The Baja Cactus direct phone line?

David K - 1-6-2013 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Quote:
Quote:

David,
Didn't you mean The Baja Cactus direct phone line?

Well, since non Baja Nomads can use it too, okay!:light:
When I originally posted it, I wanted to convey sort of an exclusivity to that number for us Nomads (since Antonio hasn't put it on his web site).

ncampion - 1-6-2013 at 03:04 PM

Good to know, saves me a few coins when I call for reservations from the US (which we always do).
Thanks

Jack Swords - 1-7-2013 at 03:50 PM

Headed back north from La Paz. Decided to try doing the peninsula in 3 days instead of 2 going back to Tecate and north. E-mailed El Morro on being pet friendly, received a positive answer in 3 hours. Made reservations via e-mail and received confirmation. Two e-mails sent to two different addresses on the Baja Cactus website requesting reservations have not been answered in three days. Moving on, contacted Jardines via e-mail on being pet friendly, received response in a couple of hours. Booked a room there too. Usually only stay in Guerrero Negro driving up or down, but was looking forward to easier drive, shorter driving days, and different places to stay. Was hoping to stay at Baja Cactus, but pretty much insist on a reserved room for the night. Will report back on El Morro and Jardines when back home in CA. Reviews look good. Anybody else have difficulty getting Baja Cactus to respond to their posted e-mail addresses?

rts551 - 1-7-2013 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
Headed back north from La Paz. Decided to try doing the peninsula in 3 days instead of 2 going back to Tecate and north. E-mailed El Morro on being pet friendly, received a positive answer in 3 hours. Made reservations via e-mail and received confirmation. Two e-mails sent to two different addresses on the Baja Cactus website requesting reservations have not been answered in three days. Moving on, contacted Jardines via e-mail on being pet friendly, received response in a couple of hours. Booked a room there too. Usually only stay in Guerrero Negro driving up or down, but was looking forward to easier drive, shorter driving days, and different places to stay. Was hoping to stay at Baja Cactus, but pretty much insist on a reserved room for the night. Will report back on El Morro and Jardines when back home in CA. Reviews look good. Anybody else have difficulty getting Baja Cactus to respond to their posted e-mail addresses?

The other pet friendly hotel in the area is Hotel Santa Maria (old La Pinta) and it is a very nice full service Motel for 500 pesos.

David K - 1-7-2013 at 04:23 PM

Yes Jack, for whatever reason, Antonio doesn't look at his emails and hasn't for years... The telephone works 100% of the time to make a reservation.

Jack Swords - 1-8-2013 at 08:38 AM

Thanks David, he should remove the e-mail addresses if they are not used. I regret not being able to stay there on this trip. Our phone calling ability is limited in the boat, but e-mail capability is fine. Well, next time...

shari - 1-8-2013 at 08:56 AM

I dont understand why Antonio's office staff can't answer emails...they have internet and perhaps he can make a new address that the desk person can answer...perhaps it is a language issue? He could have a stock letter in English saying we received your letter and made the reservation.

I also have wondered how they handle reservations when they dont take a deposit...there must be some no shows...but maybe the demand is so great that it doesnt matter if people dont show up...they still fill up....maybe that is also why they dont answer emails.

ncampion - 1-8-2013 at 09:51 AM

We have never been asked for up-front money when making reservations in Baja, at least not at the smaller motels. The big ones do ask for a CC. I guess no-shows are not a problem. At Baja Cactus they do always ask where you are coming from and what time you expect to get there and that they will hold the reservation until 7:00pm. We did have to cancel onc when a washed out road delayed our trip. We called and "no problem".

mulegemichael - 1-8-2013 at 10:36 AM

we tried emailing in a reservation last week with the same result....finally had a friend call them and reserve a room...we decided to top off our gas tank next door before checking in and were told by the attendant that it would be a short wait as they were changing shifts....45 minutes later after inventoring EVERY bottle of lubricant on the racks TWICE and wandering around with clipboards we finally got gas...geez!.......then, because it was late and we were tired, we decided to eat next door at mama espinozas...been disappointed there before..not this time...the place was packed and the lobster chile rellenos were great.

DianaT - 1-8-2013 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
We have never been asked for up-front money when making reservations in Baja, at least not at the smaller motels. The big ones do ask for a CC. I guess no-shows are not a problem. At Baja Cactus they do always ask where you are coming from and what time you expect to get there and that they will hold the reservation until 7:00pm. We did have to cancel onc when a washed out road delayed our trip. We called and "no problem".

We also have never been asked for an up front deposit at places like Baja Cactus, Jardines, Santa Maria, or elsewhere. And if circumstances change, they are good about cancelling the reservation. We do always call if we need to cancel. I am not sure they even have a way of taking a deposit, unless they have paypal and I would not want to do that. When we paypal money to people in Mexico, there is a fee involved.
I do imagine the big operations in the big cities operate differently, but we have never made advanced reservations for the bigger cities.

[Edited on 1-8-2013 by DianaT]

ncampion - 1-8-2013 at 12:34 PM

Baja Cactus does have a credit card maching in the lobby so I expect they could take a CC over the phone. Glad they don't I like the level of trust that it implies to not ask for payment. Hope it continues.

BajaNomad - 1-8-2013 at 01:23 PM

It is my understanding that, in general, they'll hold your unguaranteed room reservation until 7pm. If you indicate a slightly later arrival they still might hold it (say until 8p-10p?). Otherwise, they may ask for payment via paypal.

With all the people stopping there for a room at night (from what I see each time we visit these days), it's my belief that they feel it is easy enough to fill a previously reserved room after 7pm if they need to. Perhaps not so much after 8p/9p/10p/etc.

-
Doug

David K - 1-9-2014 at 01:05 PM

A year later...

Heard that Antonio has been upgrading the older 'commercial' rooms so when his newer rooms are not available, you will have a much nicer 'older' room than in the past.

With Antonio's work with the rescue service deserving rewards, http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=71485
one small way to contribute is to use the Baja Cactus businesses when on Hwy. 1... The Pemex and the motel... In the future will be more services... Go Antonio, go!

El Rosario is 5-6 hours/ 225 miles from the border and is an ideal first stop southbound or last stop northbound for fuel and rest.

BajaNomad - 1-9-2014 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
A year later...

Heard that Antonio has been upgrading the older 'commercial' rooms so when his newer rooms are not available, you will have a much nicer 'older' room than in the past.

There are six of the "older" rooms. The three of those closest to the highway have been remodeled. The other three will be when it slows down again, apparently. Antonio said he was reading a thread here where someone said they were taking their dog back out to the car for the night, because they wouldn't want them to stay in the room.... and that after reviewing the state of those rooms, he felt refreshing those rooms was in order...

Again, I have pics... but will have to post when I have a chance. :biggrin:

Can anyone reference that thread for me - I haven't found it yet. Thx.

DJL - 1-9-2014 at 08:58 PM

We did a walk in around 3:00 PM , and stayed the Night of Jan. 2nd in room 202 , upstairs and to the right of the office . Carmen at the front desk was very nice , the room was perfect , and THE SHOWER !!! My God ..... powerful , unlimited HOT WATER after a week at Campo Rene !!!!!

I'm going to build a shrine to that shower in my closet ....:P

D.~

BajaNomad - 1-9-2014 at 11:11 PM

Quote:

Antonio said he was reading a thread here where someone said they were taking their dog back out to the car for the night, because they wouldn't want them to stay in the room.... and that after reviewing the state of those rooms, he felt refreshing those rooms was in order...

Can anyone reference that thread for me - I haven't found it yet.

Found it.... it's in this same thread... the eighth post on the first page... by dtbushpilot:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=67108#pid8125...

David K - 1-9-2014 at 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DJL
We did a walk in around 3:00 PM , and stayed the Night of Jan. 2nd in room 202 , upstairs and to the right of the office . Carmen at the front desk was very nice , the room was perfect , and THE SHOWER !!! My God ..... powerful , unlimited HOT WATER after a week at Campo Rene !!!!!

I'm going to build a shrine to that shower in my closet ....:P

D.~

Awesome right? 202 is my favorite as well... you can have a party in the showers at Baja Cactus, some are that big, with boosted pressure and endless hot water (well enough to clean the moon dust off, anyway)!

Room 202 is upstairs from the office and on the right:

There is a sitting bench inside on the left... amazing... and in El Rosario, none the less.