BajaNomad

The Road to Comondu . . .

bajacalifornian - 4-24-2013 at 03:20 PM

San Jose de Comondu and San Miguel de Comondu. Around here the distinction is not made. You're simply going to Comondu.

Of the many "see the Spectacular Baja, land and people, " side trips available, this out of Loreto is a good one.
Part of why Loreto is good.

Following is a glimpse, beginning in San Javier on to Comondu.

Do a circle on the highway for return passing the Lopez turnoff on your way to Loreto or La Paz. Or, take the dirt back.

In La Purisima

monoloco - 4-24-2013 at 03:30 PM

Beautiful! Thanks

wessongroup - 4-24-2013 at 03:54 PM

Thanks again ....... nice to get out :):)

ligui - 4-24-2013 at 04:23 PM

Thanks for the pics. got me out of colorado for for a bit . :yes:

KurtG - 4-24-2013 at 05:09 PM

Contrary to what I was told in San Javier last fall the road from there to Comondu looks in reasonable condition in your pics. It is one of my favorites, I've driven and motorcycled it a number of times over the years. Any info on the road from Comondu to San Isidro?
Thanks,
Kurt

Mexitron - 4-24-2013 at 05:34 PM

Thanks, will put it on the agenda.

bacquito - 4-24-2013 at 06:45 PM

Thanks so much, itching to get there!

Paulina - 4-24-2013 at 07:43 PM

Loved it.

P>*)))>{

mcfez - 4-24-2013 at 08:49 PM

Wow! Thank you!

Correcamino - 4-24-2013 at 11:21 PM

bajacalifornian, thank you for a marvelous post that gives me courage to take that right turn south of Mulege that I have always been afraid to choose. I have finally purchased a capable 4wd vehicle that can handle that road (I hope!). How long did it take you to get to Comondu from MX 1? I am dying to make that run! This photo alone is enough to make me risk anything: If you grew up, like I did, watching Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Rawhide and Hollywood westerns, the sight of Vaqueros working ganados is enough to bring tears to your eye.

David K - 4-25-2013 at 08:18 AM

Great to see your photos and read of your drive. As I hear, the road from the Pacific side (Ejido Francisco Villa/ La Poza Grande) is paved (concrete?) all the way to Comondu now, yes?

The good news is the road from Comondu over the mountain to San Javier is passable, as that is what appears in your photos, correct?

Then from San Javier down to Loreto, it is mostly paved but there were some hurricane damage last year, but obviously no problem getting through?

Like KurtG, I am interested if you heard how the road was between Comondu and San Isidro/La Purisima? dtbushpilot and motoged found it mostly washed out in one part on their trip of a short while back.

Also, mentioned by Correcamino, any word on the road between Comondu and Highway 1 to the north (branching off the La Purisima road, west of Hwy. 1, south of Bahia Concepcion)... which was the route of the main road to La Paz before Hwy. 1 was built going through Loreto, instead.

watizname - 4-25-2013 at 08:43 AM

Great post. :coolup:

tiotomasbcs - 4-25-2013 at 09:35 AM

Beautiful pictures and report. So many great adventures in Central Baja's backroads! I have just been given the book Backroad Baja by Patti & Tom Higginbotham. Twenty different backcountry trips! I'd love to tag along with you sometime, Amigo. Hope to go exploring in early May before it gets too hot. Gracias. :tumble::bounce: Tomas

bajacalifornian - 4-25-2013 at 02:13 PM

Hey David . . . good afternoon amigo. My post is offered as a see side trip. Best current road conditions from me must wait a week.

We'll turn left about km 61 north of Loreto the 30th in my cattle truck. Two wheel drive DRW it nonetheless is a monster.

Proves the point any discussion of dirt roads is relative . . . we'll be packing 5-8 animals.

Common to these roads are smoking loud rattling varying vehicles with unsavory wheels. No worries.

Anyway, we'll drive into San Isidro, then ride animals the following morning to Paso Hondo.. I'll hear of road conditions in your areas of interest from local ranchers.

Of note, many areas of damage left by Jimena are long since passable.

[Edited on 4-25-2013 by bajacalifornian]

Gracias, bajacalifornian!

Correcamino - 4-25-2013 at 03:26 PM

Really appreciate your willingness to be our eyes on these side-road rambles. Please do not ever underestimate the desire for road condition reports; I often wait for weeks to get a nomad report before I pull the trigger on a planned Baja route - especially in hurricane or chubasco time. Keep on truckin' (and posting). Thanks, Amigo

DianaT - 4-25-2013 at 05:43 PM

Enjoyed --- THANKS. You always capture so much more than just roads, directions and cactus --- you capture life. :yes:

Frank - 4-25-2013 at 08:02 PM

I may have to rearrange my trip if the roads are open. I always enjoy your post Jeff, any info passed along is just icing on the dulce.

J.P. - 4-25-2013 at 08:49 PM

Now that's the kind of Jeep trip I would Love To Make.
:yes::yes::yes:

bajacalifornian - 4-26-2013 at 07:55 AM

DianaT
A new favorite face to think of, needing a new word or image . . .

ncampion - 6-9-2013 at 03:17 PM

bajacalifornian, any update on your trip to San Isidro from Mex 1? We're planning to take that road to La Purisima next week if the road report is OK. We have good 4WD vehicle. Thanks

Mula - 6-9-2013 at 04:11 PM

4 hours + of bad road. 4X4 probably not necessary, but good to know you have.

But it is solid 5 to no more than 10 miles an hour for 61 KM.

ncampion - 6-9-2013 at 04:25 PM

Hummmm..... better re-think that as a "day trip" from Loreto. Thanks for the info.

shari - 6-9-2013 at 05:41 PM

the Comundu's are my very favorite place in all baja. The easiest access to them is going towards San Juanico from Insurgentes...turn right at Francisco Villa village and head up the mountain...easy as pie.

ncampion - 6-9-2013 at 06:06 PM

Going to tie that in with a trip to San Juanico and make it a three or four day trip. Thanks for the info.
Shari, I remember your trip report to Comundu's a year or so ago, sounded great.

shari - 6-9-2013 at 06:23 PM

here are some more photos and tips for the Comondus...very inspiring place for photography and truly stepping back in time.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=50474#pid7889...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52792#pid6190...

[Edited on 6-10-2013 by shari]

Mula - 6-9-2013 at 07:17 PM

I agree with Shari.
When we went 2 months ago from KM 61 between Loreto and Mulege. . . it was an arduous trip up, but glad we made it. 2 trucks made the trip. Shook the bolts out of the starter and wires loose on one truck. Would not do it without another truck - 2 couples or something - in case of a breakdown.

We were supposed to go back the same way from San Ignacio - but decided to go down through La Purisima, over to San Juanico to check it out, back to Insurgentes and down the Cuesta to Ligui and on in to Loreto.

I go and return that way now. And it is spectacular!

willyAirstream - 6-9-2013 at 07:33 PM

Nchampion, holler if you want to convoy over from km60 in 2-3 weeks. I`m waiting on parts, but ready to roll anytime after june 22nd+/-

shari - 6-9-2013 at 09:10 PM

Gosh I cant get that surreal box canyon out of my mind now...I cant quite put my finger on why it is so powerful there...just something about it that is so....magical...
dont forget to pick up lots of vino and give my warm regards to Sr.Gastelum!

David K - 6-10-2013 at 07:38 AM

There's a lot of Spanish mission history in that valley!