BajaNomad

2018 Trail of Missions Show Oct. 21 (Sunday)

David K - 10-18-2018 at 11:35 AM

This Sunday on ABC's World of X Games show... just saw this on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/DesertAssassins/videos/498858543951...

The page said 9:30 am Pacific and 12:30 pm Eastern. However, my cable service in San Diego County (Spectrum) has it at 1 pm Sunday on Ch. 90.

[Edited on 10-19-2018 by David K]

ehall - 10-18-2018 at 01:09 PM

Thanks David.

John Harper - 10-18-2018 at 01:33 PM

Looks interesting, have to watch it. Thank you for the information!

John

David K - 10-18-2018 at 02:11 PM

Cameron Steele (off-road racer, surfer, and TV sports commentator) has been producing tours to Baja's backcountry and destinations for motorcycle riders for many years. In 2014, he created the Trail of Missions for the entire family to enjoy as a tour in 4WD trucks (mostly with Ford Raptors, but Jeeps, Toyotas, and others, too). Now the wives and kids can come along. Visiting the old Spanish missions and following El Camino Real in places has been the theme of Trail of Missions.

That is how Cameron learned about me, through mutual Internet Baja enthusiasts... in this case, it was Kevin Ward of Dust to Glory fame. He told Cameron of the 2012 book I co-authored, The Old Missions of Baja & Alta California (with Max Kurillo).

Cameron would end up inviting me to join in on the first Trail of Missions, flying to their group in the helicopter that is used to film scenes for the TV special (piloted by Jim McCoy). I was with the group for 3 days and returned with the helicopter. I rode with Cameron on the first day and a couple others in their vehicles the next 2 days.

Since the 2014 show was a hit, Cameron was able to have the helicopter for all 7 days of the future tours since.

Here are the photos and trip report from my time on the 2014 Trail of Missions:
Part 1: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=74324
Part 2: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=74342
Part 3: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=74369

I have since written my own book (Baja California Land of Missions), published in 2016, and Cameron gives a copy to each vehicle in his Trail of Missions tour.

[Edited on 10-18-2018 by David K]

TMW - 10-18-2018 at 03:31 PM

Excellent, thanks.

StuckSucks - 10-18-2018 at 04:06 PM

Looking forward to seeing it.

can't find it on Fios

John M - 10-18-2018 at 04:42 PM

ABC sports is ESPN here and football is on the schedule here in the high desert. Did a search with no hits.

John M

TMW - 10-18-2018 at 07:06 PM

On my cable system it shows ABC X games Trail of Missions on at 1pm PST on Sunday. This is the ABC Network. John do you get the LA stations? If so check KABC.

blackwolfmt - 10-18-2018 at 07:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
On my cable system it shows ABC X games Trail of Missions on at 1pm PST on Sunday. This is the ABC Network. John do you get the LA stations? If so check KABC.

Me as well 1PM Sunday, Muchas gracias

holy smokes

John M - 10-18-2018 at 08:09 PM

1:30 a.m. Monday next.

Yes, A.M.

Certainly not prime time - good thing we can record it.

John

Ken Cooke - 10-19-2018 at 06:26 PM

I can't wait! :bounce:

BornFisher - 10-21-2018 at 12:47 PM

San Diego ch. 10

ehall - 10-21-2018 at 02:36 PM

Enjoyed the show.

blackwolfmt - 10-21-2018 at 02:40 PM

Pretty cool lks like a grt time for sure

David K - 10-21-2018 at 05:42 PM

Saw our Baja Bound Geoff in a couple scenes. Show started at 1:30, after the Ferrari victory coverage ended. The road between Mike's and Meling looked pretty rough on them.

TMW - 10-22-2018 at 09:05 AM

I guess I only got the first half. It started 30 minutes into the x games show and my cable system cut it off after 30 minutes. I should have recorded the show that followed. I'm assuming it was an hour show.

John Harper - 10-22-2018 at 09:34 AM

I guess I only got the first half. It started 30 minutes into the x games show and my cable system cut it off after 30 minutes. I should have recorded the show that followed. I'm assuming it was an hour show.

Okay, I was wondering WTF my roommate was talking about. I recorded it, but she said something about it not being the entire show. I guess the DVR only recorded what was on the guide.

John

ehall - 10-22-2018 at 09:53 AM

Yes an hour show. I had to record the show after it. I caught it in time.

David K - 10-22-2018 at 10:37 AM

I watched it live and it started right at 1:30 (not 1:00). The Sky TV coverage of the Ferrari win was on from before 1 to 1:30. The Trail of Missions show was a full hour and pretty well done. Naturally, I would have loved to see someone on the show looking at one of my books to get the correct mission data! ;)

Some of the highlights:

Crossing into Baja at Tecate and seeing them mention getting their documentation (FMMs?) in order.

Driving to Mike's Sky Rancho and on to Meling Ranch for the night. The bad road out of Mike's was very difficult with lots of underside contact with boulders and plenty of spotting to clear boulders.

They went up to the observatory and got to go inside where the biggest telescope is and did a tribute to Bob Steinberger 'The Weatherman' of Score races.

Spent night 2 at San Quintín and played on the huge sand dune just south of Hwy. 1 where it turns towards El Rosario and spent night 3 at the Cataviña hotel.

They played on Laguna Chapala dry lake and visited Mission San Borja.... then on to L.A. Bay.

There was a big part about going out to Bahía Tortugas (Cameron called it Bahía Tortuga) and Punta Eugenia then along the long coast to San Ignacio. I was kind of bummed Shari's wasn't mentioned. Maybe they didn't stop there as in the year before?

San Ignacio mission was visited, then on to the Mulegé mission before they went to El Requesón on Bahía Concepción for a swim. Cameron called it only "the 2-sided beach".

The next scene was of Mission San Javier and the giant olive tree there before it was on to Cabo San Lucas, where the show ended.

TMW - 10-22-2018 at 11:04 AM

The helo picture showed three telescope domes at the observatory site. I don't remember three just the one for the 84 inch telescope. Did they add more over the years.

ehall - 10-22-2018 at 11:29 AM

The helo picture showed three telescope domes at the observatory site. I don't remember three just the one for the 84 inch telescope. Did they add more over the years.

Yes. One was being built when I was there in 2017.

StuckSucks - 10-22-2018 at 11:31 AM

From their site: "The OAN currently has six telescopes whose diameters are 2.1 m, 1.5 m, 0.84 m, 0.60 m, 0.50 m, and 0.28 m (2 telescopes with a common mount) which operate in the Sierra de San Pedro Mártir in Baja California, in the northwest from Mexico."

Here's photos of a couple of the smaller telescopes, I took these a dozen years ago:

David K - 10-22-2018 at 04:53 PM

From my Trip #7 report:

The three newest telescopes are a joint Mexico/Taiwan program. Located on the ridge just southeast. San Felipe is beyond, out-of-sight.

Read more on the TAOS II project: https://taos2.asiaa.sinica.edu.tw/

TAOS II, the Transneptunian Automated Occultation Survey, will measure the size distribution of small objects (~1 km diameter) in the Kuiper Belt and beyond. The Kuiper Belt size distribution is of scientific interest because it provides important information on the formation and dynamical evolution of the Solar System. Furthermore, the Kuiper Belt is thought to be the source of the short period comets, and an accurate census of these small objects can help us understand the mechanism by which an object in the Kuiper Belt Is perturbed into a cometary orbit. Such objects are impossible to detect directly because they are too faint to be seen with even the largest telescopes. However, when such an object passes in front of a star, the star will "blink out" for a small fraction of a second. The detection and characterization of these occultation events are the primary science goals of this survey.

TAOS II will build upon the successful operation of a precursor survey, TAOS I. The survey will operate three medium sized telescopes at the Observatorio Astronomico Nacional (OAN) at San Pedro Mártir (SPM) in Baja California, México. Each telescope will be equipped with a custom high-speed camera capable of collecting image data on more than 10,000 stars at a readout cadence of 20 Hz. The resulting data volume will be enormous, with over 300 terabytes per year of raw image data.

[Edited on 10-22-2018 by David K]