BajaNomad

Kat and her dog are missing

Pages:  1  

PaulW - 4-12-2019 at 05:25 PM

Kat Hammontre
A group drove to the Diablo Trail head Thursday with the intent to hike to the waterfall. Kat and dog stayed at the TH. When the group got back she was missing. They searched until 1AM. The next morning the Scorpion Jeep SAR group formed up and began to search again. Meanwhile the Marine helicopter got airborne and searched until winds got to high.
Last report was that ground search is ongoing as of Friday PM.
Read san felipe chater to keep up with developments.

[Edited on 4-13-2019 by PaulW]

rts551 - 4-12-2019 at 08:18 PM

Her husband is known as Wornout here on this forum. She has not been found yet. Info can be found on the faceook page San Felipe Chatter.

sancho - 4-12-2019 at 08:40 PM

Long time notable SF resident, this will be, I believe the second
nite out there. Wish the searchers all the best. Certainly hope they find her tomorrow

Desert Rat - 4-13-2019 at 12:15 AM

A guided group left San Pedro Martir for Picacho del Diablo and plan to end their trip by following Diablo Canyon to the eastern trailhead. They should reach the trailhead this Sunday. It wouldn't hurt to check with them when they return. I hope that she shows up safe and sound. Mr. and Mrs "Wornout" were very helpful to me and Don Jorge on our hike to Picacho several years ago.

[Edited on 4-13-2019 by Desert Rat]

rts551 - 4-13-2019 at 07:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Desert Rat  
A guided group left San Pedro Martir for Picacho del Diablo and plan to end their trip by following Diablo Canyon to the eastern trailhead. They should reach the trailhead this Sunday. It wouldn't hurt to check with them when they return. I hope that she shows up safe and sound. Mr. and Mrs "Wornout" were very helpful to me and Don Jorge on our hike to Picacho several years ago.

I copied and posted over on San Felipe Chatter.

BajaBlanca - 4-13-2019 at 08:17 AM

I do hope she is ok.

rts551 - 4-13-2019 at 09:25 AM

Do you know how to get in touch with this group so they can keep their eyes open?

StuckSucks - 4-13-2019 at 11:15 AM

Here's Kat's blog: Kat's Korner

Maderita - 4-13-2019 at 02:11 PM

This Facebook page is used by rescue teams, agencies, and individuals.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1691363387781324/

Correct spelling is Kat Hammontre.
PaulW - you might want to correct that in your original post to help avoid confusion.

Maderita - 4-13-2019 at 02:15 PM

More info on Kat's Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/bajakat/timeline?lst=10000100258341...

Including this info:
"My forever Sister, please return to us. #SanFelipe peeps, please post a picture of Kat with you or another friend; let’s ANCHOR her home 🙏🏻

Update: An official command post is being established by the Mexicali Fire Department at Rancho Santa Clara. Everyone joining in the search are required to register at the Command Post before heading out.

The rancho Santa Clara coordinates will follow shortly.

Please relay this information immediately to anyone who's already headed out to the desert.

Again, please follow the chain of command.

Update #2:

The coordinates to Rancho Santa Clara where the Command Post is located are (in 3 different formats):

UTM: 11R 664545 Easting 3440240 Northing

Decimal degrees: Latitute: 31.084447 Longitude: -115.27500365190791

Degrees, minutes, seconds: 31 degrees 05 minutes 04.0092 seconds N / 115 degrees 16 minutes 30.0131 W

Anyone heading out to the search is required to sign-in and sign-out.

Please, avoid freelance search efforts!"

Hook - 4-13-2019 at 04:05 PM

So, she disappeared from the trailhead, where the vehicle(s) were left that transported the hikers to the trailhead. She was not part of the hike, itself?

PaulW - 4-13-2019 at 04:08 PM

She stayed behind at the vehicle's location and was expected to wait for the hikers.

BornFisher - 4-13-2019 at 04:14 PM

And this is on the desert (east) side of the mountain, at the dry lake?
Dang, wish everyone the best!

LukeJobbins - 4-13-2019 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Do you know how to get in touch with this group so they can keep their eyes open?

Not true. Group got tired and hiked out through the park. They are back today. Original plan was to exit through desert but switched last night.

Desert Rat - 4-13-2019 at 04:56 PM

Thanks, Luke, for the update on the guided hikers from San Pedro Martir.

Maderita - 4-13-2019 at 04:59 PM

Luke,
Are you planning to come to the climbers' party at El Topo?
- John

rts551 - 4-13-2019 at 06:31 PM

Posted on Facebook.. "Here is what happened according to David Cougher: . To set the record straight and avoid conjecture, This was a day trip. 3 vehicles. Jeep, Xterra and Ford F-150. Warren and I stayed at the Canyon Parking area. Seven people including Kat hiked to the entrance of the falls. Kat had Tootsie with her and decided to not climb to the pools. She said she’d be right there when they returned. Pretty common when some folks in a group don’t feel physically able to climb. Did this hike numerous times and has several older less moblile people opt to stay put before the ascent. Group returned in 70-90 minutes and she was gone. Group didn’t see nor hear Tootsie or Kat. They returned to the Parking area and realizing she didn’t venture back to that location and an immediate search was launched. A professional photographer’s drone was launched to view the falls and canyon down to the ranch while the search group went back on the trail to retrace the area and search the East area past the parking. Horns were sounded, yelling and driving to the Ranch in case she ventured that far. After hours of searching, Warren gave numbers to be called to mobilize and notify search groups. He stayed on site while cars left to get cell service to alert authorities. She was not left. She was not abandoned. She wandered off on her own. All efforts available at the time were used to search for her."

David K - 4-13-2019 at 06:59 PM

Thanks for that Ralph. I tried to find the original post on FACEBOOK to get details but as we know, FB is impossible for some to find a single post.

There was a past lost person with nearly the exact same situation. He decided not to go all the way to the falls and headed back to the parking area. Except that he missed the trail that goes from the arroyo to the road. As I recall, he walked all the way to the dry lake to be found. I am a bit fuzzy on the details, but Kat's situation sounds so similar.

HeyMulegeScott - 4-13-2019 at 07:27 PM

I can see how someone could get lost in there. Very dense growth and It all looks alike. Hope they find her soon.

grace59 - 4-14-2019 at 08:39 AM

Sadly, Kat is still missing. Here is a post from Facebook this morning from her husband Warren (Wornout) that explains what happened and how the search is progressing. Keep them in your thoughts.

"I am sorry I am unable to answer each and every email, text and call I am receiving and am so thankful for what is going on in search of my beloved wife Kat, and our dog Tootsie. Below is some information as to what happened and what has been done up to now. Anybody reading this that has any more information, please add to this post. Thank you Dave for posting the first part of this.

Sharing from: David Cougher: To set the record straight and avoid conjecture, here is what happened on Thursday, Aril 11th, 2019, Warren and Kat’s One Year Anniversry. This was a three vehicle (Jeep, Xterra and Ford F-150) day trip to Diablo Canyon where the waterfalls are.. Warren and I stayed at the Canyon Parking area. Seven people including Kat, and her dog Tootsie, hiked on the trail to the spot where the trail first intersects with running water in the arroyo. Kat had Tootsie with her and decided to not continue up the arroyo, to the falls, since it is a climb to the pools and she just wanted to take Tootsie to the water. The trail from the parking to the arroyo, where there is running water, is between one quarter and three eights mile. The trail is fairly well marked. Once the group got to the end of the trail, where it drops into the arroyo and there is running water, Kat said she’d be right there when they returned. This is pretty common when some folks in a group don’t feel physically able to climb. I have done this hike numerous times and have had several older less mobile people opt to stay put before the ascent. The group returned to the spot where the trail starts at the arroyo in 70-90 minutes and she was gone. The group didn’t see nor hear Tootsie or Kat. They returned to the parking area and realizing she didn’t venture back to that location and an immediate search was launched. A professional photographer’s drone was launched to view the falls and canyon down to the ranch while the search group went back on the trail to retrace the area and search the East area past the parking. Horns were sounded, yelling and driving to the Ranch in case she ventured that far. After hours of searching, Warren gave numbers to be called to mobilize and notify search groups. He stayed on site while cars left to get cell service to alert authorities. She was not left. She was not abandoned. She wandered off on her own. All efforts available at the time were used to search for her.
Thank you Dave for the above. I edited it a little for people that have not done that hike. The trail itself, and a couple other trails from the parking to the arroyo are fairly well marked, however, finding them when coming out of the canyon can be difficult.
To continue, Thursday night after the other two vehicles left, I parked the jeep. Around seven pm a group of hikers from Mexicali pulled in. I told them what happened and they said they were going to get some sleep and then start up the arroyo at midnight. I asked why start out in the middle of the night and they said it is easier to hike up to the National Park when it is not hot. They said they would keep an eye and ear out for Kat and Tootsie. Sometime around 10 PM a group (Scopion Goup) of around 6 or 7 vehicles from our community showed up. I asked Nichole to call Dan Martens when they got back to El Dorado Ranch that evening. Dan assembled this group and we discussed what had happened and decided there wasn’t much we could do that late. The group returned to San Felipe and I went back to sleep after the group of hikers took off. I did not hear anything that night when I slept in the Jeep.
Friday, April 12th, 2019. Around 9 am, the Scorpion Group returned. This time there were more than a dozen vehicles and everybody headed out searching the area. There was one individual from the Fire Department that came with this group. The Military was on site searching, including a helicopter. After a day of searching, we all returned to San Felipe. During the day, the wheels started working and groups of rescue personnel were preparing for a Saturday search. When I got home, the phone did not stop ringing. Most of the calls were from two of the rescue groups wanting information about when and where we had been searching. One group said there would be a group of searchers at the Canyon at 4:00 AM Saturday morning.
Saturday, April 13th, 2019. Nichole, Cesar and myself went to the Military Base in San Felipe to brief the Army personnel and the helo pilots. Cesar stayed and went out to the group with the helo. We headed out to the canyon at 8:30 am, again a group of a dozen Scorpio vehicles and s few rescue personnel vehicles. When we reached the canyon, the helicopter was flying above. A State of Baja Rescue group from Tijuana was on site searching. After a day of searching by all these groups (Military, Scorpions, Baja Rescue Group and another Group from Mexicali) we assembled at the corral about a mile from the canyon entrance where the State Rescue Group set up camp with Satellite Internet Service, a radio tower and a base camp where they were going to spend the night.
It is now Sunday, April 14th, 2019 and I am about to head out again. I will post updates when I return.
The number of groups and personnel in this search is overwhelming and I am so impressed and thankful for this help."

Kat Hammontre Missing Since 4-11-19

mscowpatty - 4-14-2019 at 01:47 PM

Warren Sundquist
6 hrs ·
I am sorry I am unable to answer each and every email, text and call I am receiving and am so thankful for what is going on in search of my beloved wife Kat, and our dog Tootsie. Below is some information as to what happened and what has been done up to now. Anybody reading this that has any more information, please add to this post. Thank you Dave for posting the first part of this.

Sharing from: David Cougher: To set the record straight and avoid conjecture, here is what happened on Thursday, Aril 11th, 2019, Warren and Kat’s One Year Anniversry. This was a three vehicle (Jeep, Xterra and Ford F-150) day trip to Diablo Canyon where the waterfalls are.. Warren and I stayed at the Canyon Parking area. Seven people including Kat, and her dog Tootsie, hiked on the trail to the spot where the trail first intersects with running water in the arroyo. Kat had Tootsie with her and decided to not continue up the arroyo, to the falls, since it is a climb to the pools and she just wanted to take Tootsie to the water. The trail from the parking to the arroyo, where there is running water, is between one quarter and three eights mile. The trail is fairly well marked. Once the group got to the end of the trail, where it drops into the arroyo and there is running water, Kat said she’d be right there when they returned. This is pretty common when some folks in a group don’t feel physically able to climb. I have done this hike numerous times and have had several older less mobile people opt to stay put before the ascent. The group returned to the spot where the trail starts at the arroyo in 70-90 minutes and she was gone. The group didn’t see nor hear Tootsie or Kat. They returned to the parking area and realizing she didn’t venture back to that location and an immediate search was launched. A professional photographer’s drone was launched to view the falls and canyon down to the ranch while the search group went back on the trail to retrace the area and search the East area past the parking. Horns were sounded, yelling and driving to the Ranch in case she ventured that far. After hours of searching, Warren gave numbers to be called to mobilize and notify search groups. He stayed on site while cars left to get cell service to alert authorities. She was not left. She was not abandoned. She wandered off on her own. All efforts available at the time were used to search for her.
Thank you Dave for the above. I edited it a little for people that have not done that hike. The trail itself, and a couple other trails from the parking to the arroyo are fairly well marked, however, finding them when coming out of the canyon can be difficult.
To continue, Thursday night after the other two vehicles left, I parked the jeep. Around seven pm a group of hikers from Mexicali pulled in. I told them what happened and they said they were going to get some sleep and then start up the arroyo at midnight. I asked why start out in the middle of the night and they said it is easier to hike up to the National Park when it is not hot. They said they would keep an eye and ear out for Kat and Tootsie. Sometime around 10 PM a group (Scopion Goup) of around 6 or 7 vehicles from our community showed up. I asked Nichole to call Dan Martens when they got back to El Dorado Ranch that evening. Dan assembled this group and we discussed what had happened and decided there wasn’t much we could do that late. The group returned to San Felipe and I went back to sleep after the group of hikers took off. I did not hear anything that night when I slept in the Jeep.
Friday, April 12th, 2019. Around 9 am, the Scorpion Group returned. This time there were more than a dozen vehicles and everybody headed out searching the area. There was one individual from the Fire Department that came with this group. The Military was on site searching, including a helicopter. After a day of searching, we all returned to San Felipe. During the day, the wheels started working and groups of rescue personnel were preparing for a Saturday search. When I got home, the phone did not stop ringing. Most of the calls were from two of the rescue groups wanting information about when and where we had been searching. One group said there would be a group of searchers at the Canyon at 4:00 AM Saturday morning.
Saturday, April 13th, 2019. Nichole, Cesar and myself went to the Military Base in San Felipe to brief the Army personnel and the helo pilots. Cesar stayed and went out to the group with the helo. We headed out to the canyon at 8:30 am, again a group of a dozen Scorpio vehicles and s few rescue personnel vehicles. When we reached the canyon, the helicopter was flying above. A State of Baja Rescue group from Tijuana was on site searching. After a day of searching by all these groups (Military, Scorpions, Baja Rescue Group and another Group from Mexicali) we assembled at the corral about a mile from the canyon entrance where the State Rescue Group set up camp with Satellite Internet Service, a radio tower and a base camp where they were going to spend the night.
It is now Sunday, April 14th, 2019 and I am about to head out again. I will post updates when I return.
The number of groups and personnel in this search is overwhelming and I am so impressed and thankful for this help.

Kat.jpg - 54kB Tootsie.jpg - 6kB Kat2.jpg - 101kB

Attachment: dilabito-diablo (1).gpx (196kB)
This file has been downloaded 282 times

mscowpatty - 4-14-2019 at 03:04 PM

I realize there have been previous posts, however, Warren (Kat's husband) posted this earlier in the hopes of clearing up some info.

David K - 4-14-2019 at 03:38 PM

Thank you, Patty!

4x4abc - 4-14-2019 at 07:06 PM

time for everyone doing remote stuff to have an Inreach in their pocket. Pro or amateur alike.
I got lost in the 80's searching for the pole Line Road. With no tracks to follow I got lost. For 4 days. Then I found tire tracks. But they were my own.

I carried a sat phone before spot or InReach were available. Good, but not perfect as satellite coverage was sparse 20 years ago. Now things are getting better.

John Harper - 4-14-2019 at 07:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
time for everyone doing remote stuff to have an Inreach in their pocket. Pro or amateur alike.
I got lost in the 80's searching for the pole Line Road. With no tracks to follow I got lost. For 4 days. Then I found tire tracks. But they were my own.

I carried a sat phone before spot or InReach were available. Good, but not perfect as satellite coverage was sparse 20 years ago. Now things are getting better.

I would not be surprised to see a phone app for sat comm sometime soon. Since most of our phones have GPS, they should (???) be able to use satellites for communication. It seems a likely progression. Probably a matter of licensing the right chipset. If they can put it all in a small InReach unit, cell phones can't be too far behind.

John

[Edited on 4-15-2019 by John Harper]

4x4abc - 4-14-2019 at 09:18 PM

Every year people get lost or hurt around Picacho del Diablo - whatever can produce an emergency signal will save your life:
https://sintesistv.com.mx/un-gps-le-salvo-la-vida-a-un-sende...

StuckSucks - 4-15-2019 at 07:58 AM

NBC San Diego: Local Woman Searching for Missing Friend in Mexico

Seattle Times: Search underway for Seattle woman who went missing during hike in Mexico

JZ - 4-15-2019 at 11:48 AM

That is really scary.

advrider - 4-15-2019 at 03:27 PM

I rode out there solo this year on my bike but decided to turn back before I got all the way to the canyon, just wasn't comfortable being solo that far out. I've been thinking about a spot for just this kind of area. Hope everything turns out for the good.

DouglasP - 4-17-2019 at 07:03 AM

Are there any updates on this?
Hoping for the best.

David K - 4-17-2019 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DouglasP  
Are there any updates on this?
Hoping for the best.

Facebook is the most up-to-date, it seems.
From Cesar's page: https://www.facebook.com/cesarq686

8 hours ago:

Kat Hammontre Search Update : Today more poeple from different goverment agencies were added to the search and found nothing Proteccion Civil says there is no proof she was even there and they want to call off the search , well the proof just arrived with dates and location of where this photos were taken . PGJE told me a few minutes ago that they will submit this to Sub Procuracion del Estado and the search will continue. The SEARCH HAS NOT ENDED until they find something this sad story has gotten a lot of attention in the US tv stations and the American Embassy is very involved and has not forgotten Kat. Thank you Kevin Lucarelli for the pictures got them just in time!! There is still hope and we all need closure😥😥 . On a lighter note due to this horrible incident San Felipe will have its own Search & Rescue K9 meet “Kat” our friend Julio Cesar Diaz dog trainer in search and rescue who was here yesterday has donated this beautiful dog who will be trained by him and now live in San Felipe so we can have immediate response in case something like this happens again we can move faster , remember a lot of people here venture out into the desert and without ever thinking how dangerous it really is time for bed good night 😴.

22 hours ago:

Good morning Kat Hammontre search update : Please if anyone is thinking about going out to help and have never been to this area do not go out alone the desert can be dangerous!! If you do go out make sure the person that goes out there with you know how to get there and let other know when you left and when you will be back we do not need to be looking for more people. If you go out there is a command post set up by the corral where the water tank is where the horses drink water State Civil Proteccion is there and they are in charge please check in with them first to see what they need and how you can help . Do not take it upon your selves to go looking for her. On this picture marked in red is the last spot where Kat was seen as you can see the brush is very dense and the terrain is hard to walk and search so please be careful . If you do go out there rescuers need ice, water and home cooked meals would be appreciated . Please check in with State Civil Proteccion when you arrive. And please do not post anything if your information is not 100% confirmed thank you!!

[Edited on 4-17-2019 by David K]

BajaTed - 4-17-2019 at 08:36 AM

/mexiconewsdaily.com/news/search-continues-for-woman/

StuckSucks - 4-17-2019 at 09:04 AM

Search continues for woman, 68, missing in Baja desert

BajaBlanca - 4-17-2019 at 02:25 PM

This is just so bizarre. So many looking and not one clue. It must be so cold at night.

David K - 4-17-2019 at 03:12 PM

Human prints and dog prints along side shouldn't be too hard to follow in the sand? At best, two miles walked per hour. How many hours was she left alone? If she collapsed why didn't the dog go for help or back to the parking area? I hope this ends well for her and Wornout.

PaulW - 4-17-2019 at 06:22 PM

Dog is very young.
The track by any of the possibilities from the last sighting is mostly rocks and boulders. Finding a footprints would be unlikely.

bajabuddha - 4-17-2019 at 07:17 PM

I'm thinking total disappearance could be an abduction thing. She apparently seems very desert savvy, as well as location savvy.

Not a good boding.

advrider - 4-17-2019 at 08:03 PM

Did I read correctly that they found two pot grows? Seems like an odd place to get it to grow? Really hope it turns out good.

del mar - 4-17-2019 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Did I read correctly that they found two pot grows? Seems like an odd place to get it to grow? Really hope it turns out good.

water.......

bajabuddha - 4-17-2019 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

water.......

1+1 = ???

mtgoat666 - 4-17-2019 at 09:30 PM

Yes, was in the news that searchers found pot farms. Wandering into a pot farm may explain her disappearance...

advrider - 4-18-2019 at 05:57 AM

I get the water but the soil would be more sand and it's a long haul but I guess they make it work! I would sure wonder if that didn't have something to do with her missing.

Bajazly - 4-18-2019 at 09:17 AM

A 68 yo smoker, how far could she walk in an hour in the heat? I would imagine the pot farms would have been up higher in the hills so probably didn't stumble into those but maybe?

Diablo Canyon

BajaRob - 4-18-2019 at 09:22 AM

We had a similar situation 7 or 8 years ago there. About 24 of us hiked up the canyon. Tim Wing missed the trail to come up to the trail head and kept walking east. We started a search and rescue effort that when on for hours. Finally after dark, we started a signal fire up the mountain. Eight people were willing to spend the night, but we were contacted by the Mexican Army to tell us that they had recovered Tim in Valle Diablo. We met them @ Jose's Cantina and I returned Tim's side x side to him. I told Tim that if he came out with us again, that we would put a cow bell on his neck and a Lojack up his a$$.
I only wish for a similar outcome for my good friend Kat. I am going to try to see Wornout today. We are all praying.

David K - 4-18-2019 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRob  
We had a similar situation 7 or 8 years ago there. About 24 of us hiked up the canyon. Tim Wing missed the trail to come up to the trail head and kept walking east. We started a search and rescue effort that when on for hours. Finally after dark, we started a signal fire up the mountain. Eight people were willing to spend the night, but we were contacted by the Mexican Army to tell us that they had recovered Tim in Valle Diablo. We met them @ Jose's Cantina and I returned Tim's side x side to him. I told Tim that if he came out with us again, that we would put a cow bell on his neck and a Lojack up his a$$.
I only wish for a similar outcome for my good friend Kat. I am going to try to see Wornout today. We are all praying.

Thanks, Rob for posting. That was the incident I recalled and mentioned earlier.

Wornout was staying with the vehicles at the road parking area while the group hiked to the waterfall. Kat waited between those two points, so she knew the closest water was one direction or the other. The question is why did she wander off in a different direction unless it was not her choosing?

Kat

BajaRob - 4-18-2019 at 10:17 AM

The last thing that we wanted to consider was foul play. At this point, I don't know what else to believe. Fly with the angels mi amiga.

PaulW - 4-18-2019 at 02:32 PM

Wornout mentioned that they are going to contact the ranches north of the Diablo drainage. Wow, the first rancho is a long ways north.
From my reading is seems they have about given up?

StuckSucks - 4-18-2019 at 05:04 PM

If you haven't been there, here's some photos of the mouth of Diablo to show the rough terrain:

HeyMulegeScott - 4-18-2019 at 06:12 PM

This is the dense growth by the parking area. Would be really easy to get lost in here. The temperature seemed about ten degrees warmer than San Felipe when I hiked it around this time last year.

chuckie - 4-19-2019 at 07:52 AM

Has the search been called off? Whats the latest?

bajatrailrider - 4-19-2019 at 08:04 AM

She has been missing a long time. I hope for the best for lady and dog.

David K - 4-19-2019 at 08:55 AM

The Facebook page that had the most info https://www.facebook.com/cesarq686 is no longer online. The San Felipe Chatter page and Baja South Campos pages are both oddly void of new info... ???

Kat

BajaRob - 4-19-2019 at 09:13 AM

There comes a time that we have accept the reality. So sad for my friends Warren and Katherine. She will be missed but never forgotten.

Paco Facullo - 4-19-2019 at 09:55 AM

And nobody has mentioned the possibility of Alien abduction ???

Although they don't usually take dogs, or do they ?

Seriously though, I hope and pray for a safe outcome to this ......

The Missing Dog

MrBillM - 4-19-2019 at 12:01 PM

That is sad. Hope to hear that the dog makes it back.

Too often the innocent dog suffers for its love and loyalty.

Mula - 4-19-2019 at 01:15 PM

For updates go to Cesar Quirarte/ Facebook and Warren Sundquist/ Facebook. (Warren is Kat's husband).

That is where I am checking for updates.

All so strange and other worldly somehow.

PaulW - 4-19-2019 at 03:25 PM

Last post from Wornout said pretty much he has given up of finding her.
Sad.

mtgoat666 - 4-19-2019 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Last post from Wornout said pretty much he has given up of finding her.
Sad.

After a week missing, unlikely to find alive.

Have the cops apprehended and interrogated the pot growers? :light:

John Harper - 4-19-2019 at 03:35 PM

What a bizarre tragedy, so sad. And confounding.

John

Hook - 4-19-2019 at 04:44 PM

As strange as this is, one needs to remember that literally thousands of people disappear in Mexico every year. Foul play is usually suspected.

So much goes on with impunity in Mexico, it's simply amazing. We read about a fraction of it.

JoeJustJoe - 4-19-2019 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
As strange as this is, one needs to remember that literally thousands of people disappear in Mexico every year. Foul play is usually suspected.

So much goes on with impunity in Mexico, it's simply amazing. We read about a fraction of it.

Wow using a missing persons thread to knock Mexico.

How sad to imply it's Mexico's fault some woman went missing on a hike.

BTW before you ever expect foul play you have to clear the family first.

pacsur - 4-19-2019 at 06:25 PM

A buddy of mine was at a small auto parts store the other day and was talking with the owner, 3 younger guys came in and 1 had a gun, they asked for all the money and were not happy with what they had he said, they then said they wanted their phones, my buddy said he b-tched that he needed it for work, they took both phones and left after putting zip ties on their hands, I asked him if he called the police, he said he was already robbed once and didn’t want the police to ask for more, I then asked what he and the owner were going to do, he said they went to buy new phones.

Hook - 4-19-2019 at 08:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

Wow using a missing persons thread to knock Mexico.

How sad to imply it's Mexico's fault some woman went missing on a hike.

BTW before you ever expect foul play you have to clear the family first.

Clueless in California, as ever.

PaulW - 4-21-2019 at 07:18 AM

New insight on Kat
I did not create this, but just passing it on. Words from Wornout and what to do when lost by Kat
=== == ==
I, as many others I imagine, am mystified and praying to the universe for Kat Hammontre's safe return. Looking through her blogs, I stumble on her YouTube channel and found a series of videos from 2015 that should hopefully give a little hope to everyone waiting for her.
PLEASE READ: I don't know how her adventure of getting lost in San Pedro Martir ended in 2015. If someone has that info and wishes to share it so i can add to this post that would be awesome. A far as i can gather she ventured and got lost for a night only while driving around and safely returned to her family and friends.
Videos are from 2015 somewhere in San Pedro Martir area. From the description of the YouTube videos: Desert Run to part the National Park of the Mountains of San Pedro-Martir (http://www.descubrebajacalifornia.com...) Six reasons to never go out in the desert along, unless you're fully stocked - with everything - and this is what I plan to do. My beautiful Barney is just fine, albeit a bit dirty.
Didn't know where to share them so i am sharing them here in hopes that the right ears get these and give everyone hope, she is a strong woman and knows her way around and has survival instincts.
For Desiree, second video minute 4:30. My heart is with you.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsmJh33Uyv97wVPj2-cq1SQ
For how and when she went missing, please read her husband's first post:
https://www.facebook.com/wornout99/posts/10158273567678998
https://www.facebook.com/puzzles.austin/videos/1251410428358...
https://www.facebook.com/puzzles.austin/videos/1251414128357...
https://www.facebook.com/puzzles.austin/videos/1251411831691...
https://www.facebook.com/puzzles.austin/videos/1251410438358...
https://www.facebook.com/puzzles.austin/videos/1251413148357...
https://www.facebook.com/puzzles.austin/videos/1251413441691...

wilderone - 4-21-2019 at 08:09 AM

"knows her way around and has survival instincts" Videos explain a lot. May the powers of the universe be with her and guide her.

[Edited on 4-21-2019 by wilderone]

4x4abc - 4-21-2019 at 08:10 AM

now I am lost

chuckie - 4-21-2019 at 11:38 AM

Very strange

bajatrailrider - 4-21-2019 at 10:29 PM

At this point is foul play suspected as many have searched . There is only so far she could of gone. I still pray for her return and dog too.

advrider - 4-22-2019 at 08:03 AM

I would think the dog would have turned up at some point? I agree, she would have only gotten so far before the search was started. Hoping for the best.

John Harper - 4-22-2019 at 08:19 AM

I would think the dog would have turned up at some point? I agree, she would have only gotten so far before the search was started. Hoping for the best.

Yes, very strange the dog hasn't even been found.

John

Skipjack Joe - 4-22-2019 at 08:42 AM

When someone is fighting for her life and is on her last reserves she's not going to rest in an open spot waiting for help to arrive. She'll look for the coolest spot, the most protected spot she can find to spend her last hours. That would in under any large rocks, any fissures, any caves she can find. And then it becomes much harder to find her remains.

bajatrailrider - 4-22-2019 at 09:25 AM

I agree Joe but the people looking for her know that. I said she could not be far. I would think she and dog where taken away. I still hope she is alive

bajaric - 4-22-2019 at 11:32 AM

The whole thing is so strange. If understand correctly a group of people parked and hiked a short distance to where the arroyo had water in it; less than 1/2 mile. Kat stayed at that location while the rest climbed to the falls. 90 minutes later they return and she is gone. Perhaps she began to hike back to the vehicles and strayed from the trail. Going downhill it is possible to mistake a dry wash for a trial, I did that myself a long time ago when I was about 12 years old when backpacking in the Rocky Mountains. In no time at all I was separated from my family for a few terrifying minutes until I heard their faint shouts from far away.

But then it seems almost as if the earth swallowed her up. Like she fell down a mine shaft. But the dog too? Does not make any sense that she or at least the dog were not found in such a relatively small search area. How far could she have walked in 90 minutes. I guess a couple miles, so that is an area of several square miles of rough terrain to search but narrowed down to possible paths she could have taken; seems like they would have found her or the dog.

It is the start of the growing season around there, could have been some bad guys in the area, although from what I understand the farmers themselves are usually just harmless peons some bona fide cartel members could have been dropping off supplies and she was in the wrong place at the wrong time and saw something they did not want anyone to see. It was reported a couple of grows were found in the area. Hope it turns out for the best but does not look good.

David K - 4-22-2019 at 11:59 AM

When it happened before, Feb. 2011: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=51211

BornFisher - 4-22-2019 at 12:06 PM

Plus it`s a very isolated area. I would think any strange vehicle would have been noticed, either by sound or sight. Maybe the dog wandered off? Such a shame.

shari - 4-22-2019 at 12:08 PM

thousands of people have strangely disappeared from park areas in the states & Canada so it isnt just in baja! Google Missing 411.
It is a mystery where Kat & her dog have gone. Hoping they are both okay wherever they are.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...

[Edited on 4-22-2019 by shari]

charliemanson - 4-22-2019 at 01:20 PM

Very odd, in the last year I know 3 people that have vanished. The lumbar turtle Larry guy in La Ventana (may have deserved his fate as stories go), cool surfer kid, well 28, young for most of us was lost out of pescadero going on a hike and never found. ( no Nomad chatter about Max however) and now a lady who by the appearance of her in the pictures couldn't walk more than a couple of miles in that terrain...with a dog that hasn't been found? Eeeeck! It happens all over the world, but it sucks when it is in your backyard.

Be careful and prepared out there.

Personally in 2000 we were riding to Mike‘s for the night and was shot at by a rancher as we were on back trails around Meling‘s ranch! You never know who is tweaking or desperate.

Hopefully don't come across any more of these stories soon.

Skipjack Joe - 4-23-2019 at 02:41 AM

It took 3 years to find Gary Payton's remains, who also was within walking distance of a known location.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=69117&pag...

mtgoat666 - 4-23-2019 at 05:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
It took 3 years to find Gary Payton's remains, who also was within walking distance of a known location.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=69117&pag...

There was little to no search for Payton, but appeared to be large search Effort for kat.

Different circumstances.

David K - 4-23-2019 at 07:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=69117

Igor's link edited above going to the entire thread (for some reason the original posted link didn't work for me to the page). Gary's body was found and announced on the final page of the thread.

[Edited on 4-23-2019 by David K]

mooose29 - 4-30-2019 at 10:06 PM

Has there been any update? I haven’t seen anything on Facebook. Maybe I just missed it.

chuckie - 5-1-2019 at 02:39 AM

Issue just went away?

ehall - 5-1-2019 at 04:24 AM

Not a trace

Still nothing found

PaulW - 5-1-2019 at 07:54 AM

Only speculation

Here is a collection of posts from Facebook for your reading
PW
==== === ===

Cindy St John‎ to San Felipe Chatter
April 20 at 6:46 PM
Latest update on Kat, as of 2 p.m. today Saturday the search was officially called off but the investigation will continue. After following up on a couple leads and searching two different areas and trying to retrace her footsteps to and from the stream, and searching multiple farms abandoned houses, shacks, water tanks, agriculture buildings, above ground tanks, abandoned cars and buses, sad to report we still have not found her. The plane will go up several more times this week in the area and keep looking. If anybody has any information about Kat or Tootsie's whereabouts or anything that would be helpful to bring this situation to a close please contact the numbers in the photo. We all leave with heavy hearts, after over 186 hours on the ground a hundred volunteers, and more than 10 hours of aerial time by aircraft and drones. Thank you to all the dedicated men and women from the State Police, Army, Marines, civil protection,rescue squads from Tijuana, Esenada, Mexicali and San Felipe and any others involved in the search-and-rescue all the command and control personnel,all the folks who fed us and brought gas,water and supplies. All the people who helped behind the scenes, the folks who loaned there GPS's and radios, everybody who paid for gas for the rescue squads even after their bosses called it off and they still desperately wanted to find Kat and Tootsie! We all thank you from the bottom of our hearts!!!
Remember she was wearing white K-Swiss tennis shoes a white tank top it said El Dorado Ranch on it with tan beige color shorts with light camouflage print through them and she has bright red hair. Tootsie is a German Shepherd tan in color so she blends well with the sand but she had a pink collar on with a tag

Warren Sundquist
April 22 at 11:52 AM ·
I haven't written because I have not received any updates. The last information I received is Saturday morning a search and some PGJ&E (Police Investigators) personnel were headed out to one spot where a shallow grave was found a few days before. Easter was hard. I am heading to the police station some time today to give them some more information. I have filled out a form on www.texasequusearch.org giving them all the information I can. Hopefully they will receive permission from the local police to assist in a search, they are non-profit and travel world wide, if allowed. I miss my wife more than one can imagine. I miss Tootsie too. I want to thank each and every individual, group, agency, family and friends who have been supportive in helping find Kat and Tootsie. God Bless You All

=== ===
Warren Sundquist
April 27 at 9:33 PM ·
I don't have any updates on Kat or Tootsie but just wanted to post the latest information I have. At 7:30 pm tonight, the two chief investigators from PGJ&E came by. Before I post any more in this update I want to once again to post that I believe the local authorities are doing everything possible to find out what happened. They questioned me about why I changed the password on my Apple account this afternoon. I told them that while having lunch at 1:30 pm, I received a notice from Apple computer that someone had attempted to look at my iCloud account. I told them I changed the password just after that. They informed me that it was them. I told them that I was relieved that they were looking and that anything they want to do along those lines is fine with me. I gave them the changed password and they confirmed that they are still on the case. I totally broke down and told them that I was grateful for that they are still out there. I informed them that even though I don't know most of the people making accusations that I am a 'murderer' or 'involved in this case with others', that I will give them everything they need. They once again informed me that they do not believe I had anything to do with Kat or Tootsie's disappearance. I do believe they understand that and that they are still on top of the investigation. I am sorry to hear that most of the town believes I murdered the love of my life. Unfortunately these people don't have a clue about our relationship over the last 4 years and so be it, they have to live with themselves. Thank you to all the people that have supported me. To those that want to make up these rumors, well, I am not going to go in that hole and explain anything to you. God bless Kat and Tootsie, I love you more than you will ever know.
=== == ==
Most recent post
Keeping Kat’s memory alive...
Please join us this Thursday, May 2, 6:00 at the San Felipe Brewery.
We want to keep Kat’s memory alive in our hearts while we help each other start the healing process of life without her. It’s not a time to say good bye, but a time to say “until we meet again”.
Please bring something to add to the scrapbook “The Kats Meow”. Photos, written stories, articles, anything you would like to add. (foto-graphics, the business next door to copy centro can print pictures from your phone or camera while you wait).
Thursday will mark three weeks...three very long, very difficult weeks. We all need to come together. See you Thursday.
Potluck style
=== ===
Translated post that won't paste, PW:
"If you know information notify
State Civil Protection: 911 or 686 555 4998
Attorney General of Justice: 089
Family: 509 869 8020"

chuckie - 5-1-2019 at 08:24 AM

SAD! Sounds as if a great effort was made....Thanks to those who helped...

motoged - 5-1-2019 at 10:22 AM

Such a loss is immeasurable...heartbreaking.

John Harper - 5-1-2019 at 11:37 AM

My friend's wife wandered off in the middle of the night up in eastern Washington. He was grilled by the cops because they thought he murdered her. Finally, they found her a day later. Disoriented, cuts and bruises, mild hypothermia. Apparently the herbal meds she was taking caused her to wander off in a trance like state. She ended up in the psychiatric hospital for a few weeks after that. My friend was treated like crap by the cops and he had nothing to do with his wife's disappearance. I guess it's just part of the process.

John

pacificobob - 5-1-2019 at 02:13 PM

i think homicide 101 tells investigators to look at the husband first. path of least resistance and all that. must be brutal for grieving family members.

[Edited on 5-1-2019 by pacificobob]

BajaBlanca - 5-1-2019 at 02:53 PM

Bless you for sharing and I am praying so hard that St. Anthony helps out, he is my favorite saint for helping out when all seems lost!

wornout - 5-3-2019 at 07:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks for that Ralph. I tried to find the original post on FACEBOOK to get details but as we know, FB is impossible for some to find a single post.

There was a past lost person with nearly the exact same situation. He decided not to go all the way to the falls and headed back to the parking area. Except that he missed the trail that goes from the arroyo to the road. As I recall, he walked all the way to the dry lake to be found. I am a bit fuzzy on the details, but Kat's situation sounds so similar.

That is correct David. I was on that desert run and this individual walked out to the road in the dry lake, was picked up by the military and told them he was looking for the Diablo Falls Parking Area. We did a head count before leaving and realized we were one head short. Decided to return to San Felipe and get search and rescue missing. On the way out, we ran into the military hummer and the missing individual was in the vehicle. All ended well.

wornout - 5-3-2019 at 07:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
New insight on Kat
I did not create this, but just passing it on. Words from Wornout and what to do when lost by Kat
=== == ==
I, as many others I imagine, am mystified and praying to the universe for Kat Hammontre's safe return. Looking through her blogs, I stumble on her YouTube channel and found a series of videos from 2015 that should hopefully give a little hope to everyone waiting for her.
PLEASE READ: I don't know how her adventure of getting lost in San Pedro Martir ended in 2015. If someone has that info and wishes to share it so i can add to this post that would be awesome. A far as i can gather she ventured and got lost for a night only while driving around and safely returned to her family and friends.
Videos are from 2015 somewhere in San Pedro Martir area. From the description of the YouTube videos: Desert Run to part the National Park of the Mountains of San Pedro-Martir (http://www.descubrebajacalifornia.com...) Six reasons to never go out in the desert along, unless you're fully stocked - with everything - and this is what I plan to do. My beautiful Barney is just fine, albeit a bit dirty.
Didn't know where to share them so i am sharing them here in hopes that the right ears get these and give everyone hope, she is a strong woman and knows her way around and has survival instincts.
For Desiree, second video minute 4:30. My heart is with you.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsmJh33Uyv97wVPj2-cq1SQ
For how and when she went missing, please read her husband's first post:
https://www.facebook.com/wornout99/posts/10158273567678998
https://www.facebook.com/puzzles.austin/videos/1251410428358...
https://www.facebook.com/puzzles.austin/videos/1251411831691...
https://www.facebook.com/puzzles.austin/videos/1251410438358...
https://www.facebook.com/puzzles.austin/videos/1251413148357...
https://www.facebook.com/puzzles.austin/videos/1251413441691...

Thanks Paul. When Kat spent the night in the desert back in 2015, we had an argument and she left in her Barney Dune Buggy. As shown in the youtube video she had matches and built a fire and spent the night. She is directionally challenged and turned north, into the desert and not on a trail. This was off the road from El Dorado Ranch to Morella Junction. She got the Barney high sided and spent the night. Next morning she walked, what she said was less than a couple hundred yards, back to the main road and stopped a passing vehicle who got he unstuck and she returned here to the house.

wornout - 5-3-2019 at 08:05 AM

Thank you everyone for your post here on Bajanomads. Special thanks to PaulW, BajaRob, DavidK and DesertRat for relaying on information.

I haven't been on this site due to all that has been going on here with the search for my wife Kat and our dog Tootsie. We have been using Facebook, here in San Felipe, for sharing information.

The latest is the local investigators, PGJ&E still have an open case. As always, I was the number one suspect at the beginning. I have volunteered to take a polygraph test, more than once, in order to keep the investigation moving forward. The PGJ&E have told me that I am not a suspect at this time. This was after I provided:

1. Video from our back door camera video showing our state of mind before, and the day of the disappearance.
2. The raw picture data showing Kat on the trail, standing next to that big cactus, at 11:47 am, the day she disappeared. (Yes, people said she was never up there and all 8 of us were in on her disappearance.
3. PGJ&E searched and dusted our car the night after she disappeared when I returned home.
4. I was not alone in the parking lot, 1/2 mile from where she stopped with the dog to play in the water. Yes, some people posted that they thought she came back and I had something to do with her disappearance.

Since Kat was a smoker and didn't take her cigarettes with her on the walk to where the trail meets the water, (she bummed a cigarette from one of the 7 people with her headed to the falls themselves) I believe after getting to the water and letting the dog play in the water, she wanted a cigarette and started back to the parking area. Since she didn't walk back to where Dave and I were sitting in the parking lot, I believe she took one of the other trails east and downhill to the dry lake road. I also believe she was picked up by someone, since she spoke excellent Spanish, and taken away. This belief comes after the many days of searching that went on and not one clue of any kind was found. The first road out of the trailhead would be about a mile, where the corral command post was. The next road would be about 4 miles from the trailhead.

Some believe she walked more north as the arroyo with water makes a turn north for a little while before turning east. This is the area where the military found a couple of pot farms but nobody around. This was on Saturday and they burned them when they found them. I haven't been in that area north of the trailhead but have been told the searchers came across three pot growing areas, one old that had been burned and two new that they burned that day. The military was quick to respond to the search, the next day after Kat and Tootsie went missing because they are out there day after day searching for pot farms among other things. Cesar was contacted Thursday evening, the evening of the day she disappeared because David's wife Nicole, contacted him. He contacted the military and they radioed the group in the area.

We did have a get together last night at the Brewery in San Felipe and talked about the facts in this disappearance and we did do a couple of Facebook live videos.

Lastly, I have contacted the Texas Quu Search Organization and asked for their help. They said they would come and search but have to wait until the local authorities authorize it.

Thank you all for your help and prayers and I do hope I get Kat, the love of my life, and our dog Tootsie back.

David K - 5-3-2019 at 08:12 AM

Thank you warnout for the update. Everyone hopes that Kat and Tootsie are found.

PaulW - 5-3-2019 at 08:20 AM

Wornout,
Thanks for your input directly.
I always worry about posting stuff from Facebook.
PW

BajaTed - 5-3-2019 at 09:16 AM

A cigarette.....

wornout - 5-4-2019 at 05:02 PM

Here is the latest. Five vehicles headed out today to put up flyers about Kat and Tootsie missing. Got to within 5 miles of the Diablo Falls Parking and were stopped by the local ranchers. We were told we couldn't go up there but not told why. We did get some posters up but didn't get to do the last 5 miles. Came home and posted on Facebook. Then came the answer the ranchers wouldn't tell me. Discovery Channel has rented the area for three weeks to do an episode of 'Named and Afraid'. Personally, it would be great if they did a special 'Woman and Dog Missing' or something like that. And so it goes.

[Edited on 5-5-2019 by wornout]

defrag4 - 5-5-2019 at 10:25 PM

naked and afraid

mtgoat666 - 5-5-2019 at 10:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wornout  
Here is the latest. Five vehicles headed out today to put up flyers about Kat and Tootsie missing. Got to within 5 miles of the Diablo Falls Parking and were stopped by the local ranchers. We were told we couldn't go up there but not told why. We did get some posters up but didn't get to do the last 5 miles. Came home and posted on Facebook. Then came the answer the ranchers wouldn't tell me. Discovery Channel has rented the area for three weeks to do an episode of 'Named and Afraid'.

They better be afraid. Bad juju in that area.

John Harper - 5-6-2019 at 04:55 AM

Naked and Stupid.

John

JoeJustJoe - 5-11-2019 at 08:59 AM

From Warren, the husband on March 8, and it has been one month since Kat has gone missing. I'll leave my opinion out this time.

The investigation of what happened to Kat and Tootsie continues. Here is the latest: Tuesday, May 7th, 2019: Three pickups and one sedan, from PGJ&E, came to the house today around 11:30 am. One pickup was a K9 unit with a cadaver dog in a cage. There were approximately 12 Officers, two were K9 handlers, three were women and the rest were men. They told me this was part of the ongoing investigation and asked me if it was ok if they took pictures and then ran the dog and I said of course it was ok with me. They ran crime scene tape around the property then took many pictures both inside and outside the house. Two of the officers walked around the house sticking probes in the sand. Next they brought the dog out and the dog ran all over the property checking every square foot. I signed a report and they left. This whole ordeal took about an hour and a half. They said they were going to head out to Diablo Falls later in the week. I told them I was glad they did this, as it is now behind me, and that I was happy to hear they would head out to the Diablo Falls area.

Pages:  1