BajaNomad

Status of Border for crossing into Mexico from SoCal

savage44 - 7-11-2020 at 02:39 PM

The wife and I are thinking about a trip down, but we’re having a really hard time finding firsthand, reliable information about what the border crossing into Mexico is like. We’d be fine crossing at San Ysidro, Otay, or Tecate. Are Mexican border officers asking for proof of essential travel? Are they going to take one look at our camper set up and send us back? Appreciate any factual and meaningful info, thank you!

David K - 7-11-2020 at 03:07 PM

Yes, stay home until this is over. We all hate what's happening. Some are getting through and some are being turned back. Most posts from Mexico seem to be asking foreigners to stay home and not bring more of the virus south.

bajatrailrider - 7-11-2020 at 03:08 PM

My friend crossed tj yesterday night with dirt bike in back.no questions

SFandH - 7-11-2020 at 05:07 PM

I cross at San Ysidro one or two times a month, last time in June, and it was business as usual. I also read the TJ and San Diego online newspapers, and a couple of Facebook groups composed of people that use the border at TJ, and there hasn't been any mention of US tourists having any problems crossing or getting FMMs.

Follow this paper, using your browser translator. It has news sections for TJ, Rosarito, and Ensenada under the "Noticias" top bar selection.

https://www.elimparcial.com/tijuana/

Here's one for Mexicali:

https://www.elimparcial.com/mexicali/

They're similar but different.

David K - 7-11-2020 at 05:20 PM

I am not suggesting there is a problem crossing the border... I am saying that the "Essential Travel" restriction level is still the case. Sure, it is an honor system... except when they do ask to see your proof of Mexican residency, as they have and are still on Hwy. 5 (sometimes). It is Mexico, after all!

Since we don't know we have the virus (for up to 2 weeks after acquiring it), Mexico has asked us gringos to stay on the north side of the wall rather than bring any more down! That's what I am reading and what Doug has been posting for Nomad.

Lee - 7-11-2020 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by savage44  
The wife and I are thinking about a trip down, but we’re having a really hard time finding firsthand, reliable information about what the border crossing into Mexico is like. We’d be fine crossing at San Ysidro, Otay, or Tecate. Are Mexican border officers asking for proof of essential travel? Are they going to take one look at our camper set up and send us back? Appreciate any factual and meaningful info, thank you!

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=94743

mtgoat666 - 7-11-2020 at 07:28 PM

Nonessential travel is prohibited.

But a$$hats are traveling anyway because they are special.

BajaNomad - 7-11-2020 at 08:08 PM

It's been noted here that Mexicali has been checking southbound traffic, with long delays:
https://www.borderreport.com/news/travelers-heading-south-th...

Also noted here have been roadblocks in misc. locations (along the highway) to turn back non-essential travelers heading south.

As Lee helped with a link for more info, the US Ambassador to Mexico has warned:

"If US citizens continue to make casual cross-border trips, the restrictions will increase, not decrease."

- Christopher Landau, United States Ambassador to Mexico

[Edited on 7-12-2020 by BajaNomad]

Alm - 7-12-2020 at 08:55 AM

We’d be fine crossing at San Ysidro, Otay, or Tecate. Are Mexican border officers asking for proof of essential travel?

Technically, ground crossings are closed for non-essentials. You are aware of this and looking for factual info on breaking the law, alright.

Border agents are rarely asking for any proof. But checkpoints on highways do. They are asking for proof of legal or habitual residence in this area in the form of either resident card or electrical bill.

You'll probably be fine crossing the border. Doesn't mean that you'll be "fine" in terms of health, the epidemic in Mexico hasn't peaked yet. Those restrictions are there for a good reason.

wilderone - 7-12-2020 at 10:44 AM

Was on San Diego news a few days ago, that there were shakedowns of gringos. They essentially want you to empty your wallet. Culprits told the couple that they blame gringos coming across the border for their virus plight, and they can't work, no money. Same victim reported that his brother, as a pedestrian, had a similar experience, I think in TJ.

Essential crossings are an essential problem!

AKgringo - 7-12-2020 at 11:30 AM

Both sides of the border from El Centro through Mexicali are a hot spot of Covid19 infections. Which group do you think is creating the problem?;

A....Tourists that typically want to spend little or no time near the border

B....The twenty thousand daily crossings by locals for work, shopping, commerce, or family matters

I understand the temptation to blame outsiders, but it makes about as much sense as blaming Asian people in our country for the epidemic here.

Don Pisto - 7-12-2020 at 12:06 PM

still won't stop tourist's from crossing that can't live without that taco:(

BajaNomad - 7-12-2020 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Was on San Diego news a few days ago, that there were shakedowns of gringos. They essentially want you to empty your wallet. Culprits told the couple that they blame gringos coming across the border for their virus plight, and they can't work, no money. Same victim reported that his brother, as a pedestrian, had a similar experience, I think in TJ.

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/local-couple-tijuana-...

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/as-investigation-begi...

motoged - 7-12-2020 at 08:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I am not suggesting there is a problem crossing the border... I am saying that the "Essential Travel" restriction level is still the case. Sure, it is an honor system... .

People ignoring Covid safety practices have no honour, or even a sense of it....:fire:

Do these people ever watch the news, read a paper, or try to have an objective view of the global pandemic raging?

I can't effin believe their mentality....

Go right ahead....kill yourself....not others.

thebajarunner - 7-13-2020 at 08:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
People ignoring Covid safety practices have no honour
And you Canucks need to learn to spell rite. :lol:

"Two peoples separated by a common language."

eh?

motoged - 7-13-2020 at 08:46 AM

Is It Honor or Honour?

The notion of honor varies greatly from one culture to another. Ideas about what it means to have it, how to obtain it, and how to preserve are studied by sociologists and anthropologists. But here we’ll be studying how to spell it. Here’s the deal: you can write honor in your college paper, or honour in your university test, and in both cases you’d be correct. But some might frown if you do it the other way around, because there is a slight difference between the two spellings that has nothing to do with the meaning of the word itself: Honor is the preferred spelling in American English and is pronounced \ˈä-nər\; Honour is the preferred spelling in British English and is pronounced /ˈɒnə/.

So, making fun (incorrectly) of how to spell a word is your best response?

Kind of symbolic of how the usa citizenry responds to a serious issue these days.

I can certainly take a joke.....but there is little humour with this issue of the how your country is handling Covid.

Smarten up :light:

And while I am at it: "rite is sometimes confused with right and write"

eh!

:biggrin:

[Edited on 7-13-2020 by motoged]

[Edited on 7-13-2020 by motoged]

David K - 7-13-2020 at 09:10 AM

Do Canadians spell tire: tyre, too?
They do that in Australia.

Is it a spanner or a wrench... windshield or windscreen... hood or bonnet... trunk or boot ???

I think the difference goes back to 1776 when we won our independence and began going about doing things in the "American way"? Canada, Australia, and other Commonwealth nations remained closer to Britain, keeping the queen on their money, etc.
Tradition is important, as is history.

I think we all enjoy the differences between nations with a shared connection to England, or Great Britain & Ireland. Too boring if we all did things the same, talked the same, etc.

Colour, harbour is just as good as color and harbor, just one more letter.

Oh, it really sparked a conversation with my Australian 6th grade teacher when I spelled through as "thru"! It went something like, Do you yanks really spell it that way?" LOL

motoged - 7-13-2020 at 09:19 AM

I think the difference goes back to 1776 when we won our independence and began going about doing things in the "American way"? .....

Ah....yes....the Boston Tea Party.

Wasn't that the brave political statement where the "independence seekers" dressed up as Native americans as they dumped tea into the harbour....?

Brave move to vilify others rather than stand up honestly for one's beliefs....:?:

History and spelling lesson #2 :light: :biggrin:

motoged - 7-13-2020 at 09:43 AM

Like I said....I can take (and understand) a joke .

Just sayin' ....

:cool:

It's a good day up here in the frozen wastelands....backyard landscaping project almost complete....so now I can focus on tidying up the cargo trailer camper and the 690 for some time out in the wilds, getting some more blues riffs down on the tele, and keeping my eye on my garden....

We are all in this together :saint:

savage44 - 7-13-2020 at 10:13 AM

What happened to this thread? Haha! For those of you implying that I have no respect or honor for traveling south of the border, you have no basis or cause for judgement. We’re not going down there to rub elbows with the locals, eat tacos, and shop. We’ll be off grid and in a better state of isolation on a desolate beach By ourselves than in our home town where we’re grocery shopping every four days, getting gas, etc. I don’t plan on having contact with anyone: that’s why we go down there!

pacificobob - 7-13-2020 at 11:15 AM

the curve continues upward here in BCS please stay the F home

Lee - 7-13-2020 at 02:21 PM

You’re wanting first hand info and getting it. What ever reason nomads have for writing don’t go, that and some moral judgment is what’s being given. Plus US govt is saying don’t go IF your not essential.

Your call.

If you harbour such angst about the USA

thebajarunner - 7-13-2020 at 05:56 PM

I think the difference goes back to 1776 when we won our independence and began going about doing things in the "American way"? .....

Wasn't that the brave political statement where the "independence seekers" dressed up as Native americans as they dumped tea into the harbour....?

Brave move to vilify others rather than stand up honestly for one's beliefs....:?:

DON'T BOTHER TO COME HERE>>>>>
Stay home where your dollar doesn't buy much
73 cents??? Your government must really be doing something right. NOT!!

pacificobob - 7-14-2020 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

DON'T BOTHER TO COME HERE>>>>>

what a comment! i going to wager you are unaware that 20 countries have chosen to use the term dollar to describe their currency.....and what may be even more surprising to your US centric conciousness...they all have different values.

Alm - 7-14-2020 at 10:31 AM

Ironically, Canada is now a better/safer place to stay than the USA, deaths per capita are ~2 times lower. I don't know whether this is because their government are doing it right, but this would be a reasonable explanation. In fact, most of the world is now safer than the USA.

[Edited on 7-14-2020 by Alm]

pacificobob - 7-14-2020 at 10:41 AM

USA,USA,USA #1! "tired of winning yet"? lets hear a cheer for dear leader!

RFClark - 7-14-2020 at 11:20 AM

“There are Lies, Damned Lies and then there are Statistics!”, Mark Twain. Please look at BC, Ontario and Quebec! The death rate is much higher, BC ≈7% Ontario ≈7%, Quebec ≈ 10% and the U.S. ≈ 4% without NY and NJ the US is about 1%! Cuomo and Murphy should be in jail!

motoged - 7-14-2020 at 11:26 AM

Thank you......:coolup:

I rest my case.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/covid-19-curves-compare-canada-and-other-key-nations-1.4881500

And I don't plan on crossing into the usa for at least a year....so my $0.73 will keep our suffering economy rather than americans'.

Utah would be my next destination south of the 49th if the plague diminishes enough ( like....gone) as I am not done riding there.

Maybe a visit with good friends in Arizona after Utah....but such travel plans are simply a fantasy at this time.

[Edited on 7-14-2020 by motoged]

Alm - 7-14-2020 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
“There are Lies, Damned Lies and then there are Statistics!”, Mark Twain. Please look at BC, Ontario and Quebec! The death rate is much higher, BC ≈7% Ontario ≈7%, Quebec ≈ 10% and the U.S. ≈ 4% without NY and NJ the US is about 1%!

There is statistics and there are people who don't know what to look for, in statistics. The quote is not by Mark Twain, btw. He thought it was British prime minister Disraeli who said this but he was wrong.

There is no such measure as "death rate". You seem to respond to the post that was about deaths per capita, but quoting case fatality numbers instead. In Canada they have 4 times lower cases per capita (than in the US) and 2 times lower deaths per capita, so case fatality (=deaths per case) is 2 times higher. In other words, if they get sick they are twice as likely to die. Hard to tell why. Could be nursing homes of lower standards.

Alm - 7-14-2020 at 01:47 PM

We’ll be off grid and in a better state of isolation on a desolate beach By ourselves than in our home town where we’re grocery shopping every four days, getting gas, etc.

Unless you travel in some sort of post-apocalypse vehicle with recirculated air, full supply of food, water and enormous fuel tank - you WILL rub elbows with locals. There are still groceries to buy, fresh water, gas station attendants (and their questionable washrooms), checkpoints on highways and maybe at the border as well, tool booths, an odd camping or motel now and then. Possibly 10-15 contacts in 1-week trip.

Lee - 7-14-2020 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
We’ll be off grid and in a better state of isolation on a desolate beach By ourselves than in our home town where we’re grocery shopping every four days, getting gas, etc.

Unless you travel in some sort of post-apocalypse vehicle with recirculated air, full supply of food, water and enormous fuel tank - you WILL rub elbows with locals. There are still groceries to buy, fresh water, gas station attendants (and their questionable washrooms), checkpoints on highways and maybe at the border as well, tool booths, an odd camping or motel now and then. Possibly 10-15 contacts in 1-week trip.

X2

mtgoat666 - 7-14-2020 at 04:29 PM

Ironically, Canada is now a better/safer place to stay than the USA, deaths per capita are ~2 times lower. I don't know whether this is because their government are doing it right, but this would be a reasonable explanation. In fact, most of the world is now safer than the USA.

Amongst the first-world countries, usa appears to be doing worst at controlling the epidemic. I look at the current leadership in white house and shake my head when they open their mouths...
Our govts response to public health emergency is fomenting whacko conspiracy theories and, first, labeling the disease a hoax, and second, saying the statistics and deaths are a liberal plot to steal the election...
Does anyone feel safe and secure with the current nutty leadership?
Only people that appear to be trustworthy are Fauci and the scientists, but the nutty pres is trying to stab them in the back,

[Edited on 7-14-2020 by mtgoat666]

RFClark - 7-14-2020 at 07:45 PM

&There is no such measure as "death rate". You seem to respond to the post that was about deaths per capita, but quoting case fatality numbers instead. In Canada they have 4 times lower cases per capita (than in the US) and 2 times lower deaths per capita, so case fatality (=deaths per case) is 2 times higher. In other words, if they get sick they are twice as likely to die. Hard to tell why. Could be nursing homes of lower standards.”

Sorry to disappoint but Johns Hopkins” calculates number of deaths per number of reported cases. Canada especially Quebec sucks! Mexico sucks! Canada can’t have bad nursing homes, they have government healthcare! Come to think of it so does The UK, France, Spain and Mexico. All of which have more deaths per reported cases than does the US.

It’s not how many get it, it’s how many die from it!

“Mark Twain popularized the saying in Chapters from My Autobiography, published in the North American Review in 1907“

surabi - 7-15-2020 at 03:14 PM

" It’s not how many get it, it’s how many die from it!"

Not exactly. This virus has been shown to have some severe long-term effects on infected people, even if they never feel that sick with the virus, or are even asymptomatic. Neurological damage, long-term damage to organs and vascular system, ongoing exhaustion, etc.

It isn't just a matter of you get it and get better, or get it and die. It's much more insidious than that.

Alm - 7-17-2020 at 10:02 AM

Sorry to disappoint but Johns Hopkins” calculates number of deaths per number of reported cases. Canada especially Quebec sucks! Mexico sucks! Canada can’t have bad nursing homes, they have government healthcare! Come to think of it so does The UK, France, Spain and Mexico. All of which have more deaths per reported cases than does the US.

It’s not how many get it, it’s how many die from it!

“Mark Twain popularized the saying in Chapters from My Autobiography, published in the North American Review in 1907“

Incorrect on most points.

"Death rate" is not a definition. Deaths per confirmed cases is just that - deaths per confirmed cases. There are also deaths per capita which JH also reports.

I've looked into Canadian statistics and they do have subset of deaths in nursing homes at higher % than in the USA. This confirms my earlier theory as to the reason of higher deaths per confirmed case despite lower deaths per capita (than in the USA).

As to the "it’s how many die from it" - Surabi has covered this so I won't repeat.

Again, that quotation is not by Mark Twain. He popularized it, saying that it belonged to Disraeli - which it didn't. The great satiric wasn't a very educated man, he dropped out of school in Grade 5.

[Edited on 7-17-2020 by Alm]

mtgoat666 - 7-17-2020 at 11:34 AM

In usa the trump admin did not like the covid19 hospital stats reported by cdc, so starting this week white house took over And prohibited cdc from compiling and releasing stats. Expect the wh to do what trump does best, cover-up and lie...

David K - 7-17-2020 at 12:32 PM

It will be refreshing to have some truth rather than the labeling of deaths by heart attack, stroke. etc., as all being from Covid-19.

pauldavidmena - 7-17-2020 at 01:05 PM

It will be refreshing to have some truth rather than the labeling of deaths by heart attack, stroke. etc., as all being from Covid-19.

Given the allegations of exaggeration in either direction, it's probably going to come down to a comparison of the death rate during 2020 versus the death rate over previous years - similar to what was done to come up with a more accurate accounting of the casualties due to Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico in 2017. Again, this would only be an estimate, but it might be the closest we'll get to an accurate count without suppression of hospital data or padding the statistics to support a political narrative.

RFClark - 7-17-2020 at 01:24 PM

Too bad it’s about politics not truth. As an example!

“ It isn't just a matter of you get it and get better, or get it and die. It's much more insidious than that.”

Brilliant!

There are 330 million people in this country and if you look hard enough you can find Some number that react differently to diseases and even drugs. In fact you can find “normal looking” people who’s heart is on the opposite side of their body from most. It’s common and well known in the medical community. The search for something bad that might happen in the future but can’t be seen today will continue right up until the election even if there are vaccines and treatments available.

What there won’t be is a single word of blame for the Chinese Government or their minions at the WHO because it won’t support the political narrative being pushed!

RFClark - 7-17-2020 at 01:31 PM

“Given the allegations of exaggeration in either direction, it's probably going to come down to a comparison of the death rate during 2020 versus the death rate over previous years - similar to what was done to come up with a more accurate accounting of the casualties due to Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico in 2017. Again, this would only be an estimate, but it might be the closest we'll get to an accurate count without suppression of hospital data or padding the statistics to support a political narrative.”

Already posted here. The CDC updates “deaths from all causes” weekly on Wednesday. Guess what total deaths have been down for weeks!

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Alm - 7-17-2020 at 02:39 PM

What there won’t be is a single word of blame for the Chinese Government

It's hard to blame Chinese government on how they handled the situation after a short initial period of denial. They have mere few daily new cases for the last few months. Lockdowns are instant and properly enforced. During the recent wave in Beijing two weeks ago they put the capital in lockdown very efficiently, I saw the video. There were no people on the streets. Now they are back to a few cases a day. Even considering that they only report cases with symptoms - could be 20% of total cases - their numbers are still thousand times lower than in the US. They are probably laughing when looking at how the US are handling it.

BajaNaranja - 7-17-2020 at 03:11 PM

LOL! To anyone trying to amplify this garbage partisan talking point: Please enjoy a double serving of Goya beans tonight!

elgatoloco - 7-17-2020 at 03:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNaranja  

LOL! To anyone trying to amplify this garbage partisan talking point: Please enjoy a double serving of Goya beans tonight!

x2

Truth+White House =
It took President Trump 827 days to top 10,000 false and misleading claims in The Fact Checker’s database, an average of 12 claims a day.

But on July 9, just 440 days later, the president crossed the 20,000 mark — an average of 23 claims a day over a 14-month period,........

The coronavirus pandemic has spawned a whole new genre of Trump’s falsehoods. The category in just a few months has reached nearly 1,000 claims,........

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/07/13/president...

Alm - 7-17-2020 at 04:40 PM

It's not simple. There is Immediate Cause of Death (final condition resulting in death), ex. pneumonia or stroke, and then "...Due to or as a consequence of Underlying Causes" - there could be several of the latter, ex. coronavirus, diabetes, heart disease and so on.

CDC statistics for coronavirus deaths is based on Underlying Cause - but when there are several such causes, there is a room for both honest mistakes and manipulation.

surabi - 7-18-2020 at 09:00 PM

Someone could have diabetes or a heart condition, yet go on to live happily for the next 40 years. But if they get coronavirus, that, combined with their underlying condition,will likely kill them. But that's a death due to coronavirus- if they never got infected with it, they might have lived for many more years.

No one actually died of AIDS- they died of pneumonia and other diseases because AIDS destroyed their immune system so they couldn't fight off the things we are all exposed to on a regular basis that our immune systems usually deal with so we don't get that sick. But in fact, they died because they had AIDS- they wouldn't have died from pneumonia otherwise.

All these people who keep saying that there are deaths being counted as COVID deaths that aren't, just because someone had an underlying condition, are the same idiots who oppose wearing a mask and think coronavirus is some overblown hoax.

[Edited on 7-19-2020 by surabi]

SFandH - 7-19-2020 at 08:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

All these people who keep saying that there are deaths being counted as COVID deaths that aren't, just because someone had an underlying condition, are the same idiots who oppose wearing a mask and think coronavirus is some overblown hoax.

[Edited on 7-19-2020 by surabi]

Yup, and probably won't get vaccinated either if a vaccine is developed.

Perhaps descendants of these Gnuckleheads:

1918 Pandemic - Anti-Mask League of San Francisco

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Mask_League_of_San_Franci...

[Edited on 7-19-2020 by SFandH]

1918 S.F. descendants

AKgringo - 7-19-2020 at 08:51 AM

I am one of those descendants, my dad was born in San Francisco in 1915. He had virtually no sense of smell, and always said it was from "a bug" he got when he was a kid. I don't have any idea what age he got the bug, but it is an interesting symptom!

For what it is worth, I will get the vaccination when it is approved for seniors with heart issues, even if it is a trial project. I avoid situations where a mask is required, but wear one where it is appropriate, and unavoidable.

Apologies to savage44, none of this has anything to do with crossing into Mexico from southern CA!

[Edited on 7-19-2020 by AKgringo]

Yeah, I have that

savage44 - 7-19-2020 at 12:45 PM

Yeah, I basically have what you describe.

698479CD-9F3E-483B-8A18-58849B3EE9D5.jpeg - 94kB

JZ - 7-19-2020 at 12:53 PM

That thing is cool. Go for it! Stay safe.

[Edited on 7-19-2020 by JZ]

Alm - 7-19-2020 at 06:24 PM

Even if you load a small fridge (2 cu.ft?) that you hopefully have in there with a week worth of perishables and bring a box of tuna cans and a bag of rice, there will still be contacts. I would imagine a helicopter and a private island to be a solution in times like this.

JZ - 7-19-2020 at 06:43 PM

Even if you load a small fridge (2 cu.ft?) that you hopefully have in there with a week worth of perishables and bring a box of tuna cans and a bag of rice, there will still be contacts. I would imagine a helicopter and a private island to be a solution in times like this.

These comments are ridiculous. He's not going to be interacting with ppl, that is the point. You put a mask on and walk into a store and buy stuff.

You went on and on, about rocks in the rice and beans in BoLA, remember that?

And then later told us the mortality rate from Covid in Canada was 8%?

savage44 - 7-20-2020 at 06:37 AM

Keeping perishables is easier than that. I do have a small freezer, which I use to rotate 1L bottles of ice/water out of the big cooler as we go. Cabbage and cold beer for weeeeeeeks, man.

And I agree with the above comment: you’re being a tad ridiculous. You’re telling me you don’t go the store twice a week for your perishables? Total isolation isn’t possible at home either. I’m not going to sit around here with my head in the sand and soil in my pants bemoaning the apocalypse.

[Edited on 7-20-2020 by savage44]

pacificobob - 7-20-2020 at 08:08 AM

ok don't "sit aroundherewith my head in the sand" please don't travel to my area and do it here.