BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Restoring cars in Baja?
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 7-25-2012 at 10:48 PM
GNUKID

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
:lol::lol::lol: ARE YA NUTS!!!

Definitely, who would go to baja to fix up a car, there is time, space, people to help and watch, and everyone is fixing up their car, when instead you can go to LA or San Diego and just pay $120/hr to have some real "pros" work on it.
I DO THINK TRYING TO RESTORE A CAR IN BAJA WILL PROVE TO BE NIGHTMARE IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE..HELL TRYING GET ANY THING DONE IN BAJA TAKES ALOT OF EFFORT..NO?
gt6pilot

[*] posted on 7-26-2012 at 01:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Quote:
:lol::lol::lol: ARE YA NUTS!!!

Definitely, who would go to baja to fix up a car, there is time, space, people to help and watch, and everyone is fixing up their car, when instead you can go to LA or San Diego and just pay $120/hr to have some real "pros" work on it.
I DO THINK TRYING TO RESTORE A CAR IN BAJA WILL PROVE TO BE NIGHTMARE IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE..HELL TRYING GET ANY THING DONE IN BAJA TAKES ALOT OF EFFORT..NO?

The whole point of the question was to find out how feasible it would be for me to take my own cars to Baja and find somewhere where I could live and work on them, again I can and do do almost all of the work with my own hands.

The question was more about the issues that might have existed with bringing the cars in and out across the border.

That all sounds like it is fine, now I have to figure out the visa side and somewhere to do it... and that involves taking the trip to see.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 7-26-2012 at 06:29 AM

Speaking of classic cars; Conception Bay 2008.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 7-26-2012 at 07:40 AM
restore

HOLA,being a mechanic my entire life and have also lived in baja since I was a 17 years old (winters)..I do not consider throwing a few parts at a car restoreing a car..restoreing a car is a very intense time consuming labor of love... the term" body off,,rewire..recrome" all come to mind rather quikly..so I think we are talking to different angles...but,hey what do I know (very Little) lol compete restores..1962 corvette w/396....YA BABY !! 1971 jag XJ6 LT-1 w/T400..1970 MJB...1969 camario complet frame off with stock 6cly to name a few I have done and would not even think of a real restore in baja in IMO..just a saying..restoreing a car is SLOOOOW in the best of conditions and even slower in baja..NO? K & T:cool:

[Edited on 7-26-2012 by captkw]

[Edited on 7-26-2012 by captkw]
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2012 at 08:01 AM

gt6pilot
I live in Bahia de los Angeles, I don't restore cars but I work on and keep my own cars running. I think you could do what you want to do down here no problem. Here in Bahia there is a always someone going north that is willing to help bring some parts down. Certainly not as convient as running up to the local auto parts place here in San Diego, but if you have the time then you can get anything done down here that you want to. You just need a place with a garage and power for your tools. Oh wait I happen to have a place just like that for sale, check this out:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=33821
Lots of people down here have hobbies besides fishing that they engage in and are quite successful at. Down here there has not been any problems from the locals, actually they are mostly helpful. Come on down and check it out, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-26-2012 at 09:03 AM

I have always had a love for Old Cars.in the past I have restored quite a few. When I see cars restored down here most of them are 25 footer's, as stated above restoration is a Labor of Love suplemented with huge amounts of money and time. Which in my opinion is a huge waste of Labor, Money and Time if you are going to use it as a Driver.
When involved in the process one needs to decide early on what the projece is going to be used for
Most of the ones in the past that I restored became Trailer Queen's. Because I went over board in the Labor and Money Dept.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 7-26-2012 at 10:26 AM

I restored a lot of cars in my younger days including some British ones (TC MG, XKE Jag and Rover) but mostly older Model A and B Fords. My last one was the body-off '35 Studebaker in my Avatar which is a crusier with Corvette independent suspension, disc brakes, engine, tranny etc. I would never attempt any of this in Baja.

Bob Durrell
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2012 at 12:13 PM

That looks like a 1974 Souvern Airstream. Nice! btw, thanks again, it was a fun day or 2 :)

Probably already answered Triumph GT s questions but....

I help friends get parts here and so far this is the easiest and fastest - I find the part online with part numbers and descriptions and print it out, then take it to Armando at the Auto Parts store/ mechanic shop just south of Mulege on the highway, he faxes it to 4-5 parts stores in La Paz and the part gets shipped here via Baja Pak, bus, in a day or 2 ( or 3-4 )

I was there today - He is working on a '59 Chevy Apache pu, a fiat spyder, a vw buw, a trophy truck, a sand rail and various local hondas and toyotas.

fwiw, I have a house with a huge yard, a large garage and tons of room for my shop/art space for 1/3rd of what the same would cost in rural Colorado.

Local Mulege car show pic - note the "recycle" sign. Everything here gets recycled except plastic bags.
and a pic of the local talent volunteering to help ...

[Edited on 7-26-2012 by willyAirstream]

[Edited on 7-27-2012 by willyAirstream]

gt6pilot

[*] posted on 7-27-2012 at 05:44 PM

I am not planning on keeping them, well maybe one. In this day and age selling anything from any where is possible thanks to that great invention the WWW.
It may be a little more involved from some places but that will just add to the fun.

I love the fact that the car culture is obviously alive and well down there and look forward to seeing some of them on my travels.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.