Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: El Mano Pass, Secret Origins Unveiled
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I found 8 roads from the top of the Sierra Juarez to the desert floor, between the U.S. border and Hwy. 3 (San Matias Pass):

I am going to show you with Google Earth images... stand by.

Hwy. 2-D
Graded dirt road from La Rumorosa
Mano Canyon
Pole Line Road
Dirt Rd. A ('South Summit')? (to Pole Line)
Dirt Rd. B (to Pole Line)
Dirt Rd. C (does not continue all the way into the San Felipe Desert)
Dirt Rd. D (Joins the Arroyo Grande road)

I added a second marker for each of the roads A, B, C, D on the desert side of the grade.

Okay, the darts for the Juarez to Desert roads are blue balloons with a black star. The Pole Line Road road is the blue line, other markers are yellow push pins, not related to this thread.

The entire Sierra Juarez:

The following maps are all oriented westward looking at the mountainside, from the desert side:

Hwy. 2-D and Graded Rumorosa Road (town of La Rumorosa at top):

Mano Canyon Road:

The southern Juarez high view, looking west:

The Jamau/Summit/ Pole Line road and Road A:

The rest, with close ups:

San Matias village is at the top, left of center.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Emerson
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 04:16 PM

Wow!
Need to plan a trip to explore the ones I havent gone thru... can we rate the road conditions on these roads, from easy to challenging for a 4x4?

-Emerson.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Emerson
Wow!
Need to plan a trip to explore the ones I havent gone thru... can we rate the road conditions on these roads, from easy to challenging for a 4x4?

-Emerson.

Sure we can! There are lots of levels of dirt roads... I guess I would use maybe these:

Class 1: 2WD in dry weather, graded road.
Class 2: 2WD with extra ground clearance suggested.
Class 3: AWD or 4WD for safety/ traction.
Class 4: 4WD Only.
Class 5: 4WD with locking rear differential or traction control.
Class X: Rock Crawler 4WD with front and rear lockers.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Emerson
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 04:40 PM

Heres my score...

Graded dirt road from La Rumorosa - Class 2 to Class 3
Mano Canyon - Class 4
Pole Line Road - Class 4-5
Dirt Rd. A ('South Summit')? (to Pole Line) - Class 5
Dirt Rd. B (to Pole Line) - ?
Dirt Rd. C - ?
Dirt Rd. D - ?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 04:56 PM

Having driven Mano Canyon from the top to the bottom and again from the desert to the lower end... I agree with you. :tumble:

DEVEAU
Nomad

Mood: "WFO"

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 05:06 PM

David, thank you. I need to spend some time looking at all those. I think we had Dirt Rd. D in our sights, major locked gate on the West end.

I still think we rode down a graded road ending in the El Palomar area. Would have been only a class 2/3. We may have lucked out and found an unlocked gate.

A,B, and C look real interesting.

We kind of hijacked this thread. Paul W. report is interesting. Deveau

Chase Trucks? ??
We don\'t need no stinking chase trucks!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DEVEAU
David, thank you. I need to spend some time looking at all those. I think we had Dirt Rd. D in our sights, major locked gate on the West end.

I still think we rode down a graded road ending in the El Palomar area. Would have been only a class 2/3. We may have lucked out and found an unlocked gate.

A,B, and C look real interesting.

We kind of hijacked this thread. Paul W. report is interesting. Deveau

This is Emerson's thread, Paul hasn't posted here... However, he also posted about the general's villa ruins, in his thread.

So much Baja... So little time!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 05:36 PM

Hi Emerson.
Can you share the links you found especially about the info on Santa Isabel lodge. I will like to read up.
Thanks, Paul Wilson
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 06:10 PM

You do know that almost all the race cars and trucks are 2 wheel drive and they raced over El Mono and the summit this year and NORRA did El Mono. I did El Mono in September and I did not see anywhere 4x4 was needed. The south summit yes if going up it and the PLR there are places for sure but would depend on what the rain did to it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 06:24 PM

Yes Tom, you are correct. Ken did say however that it was the worst road he's been on (and that would include Mission Santa Maria)! Perhaps he's losing it?

I made the classification not for off road race cars, but instead for production vehicles, except for Class X, naturally.

Sure thing that horsepower, tires, ground clearance and suspension, at speed will get you through most places the rest of us cruise slower, to save parts or ourselves.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 12:26 AM

I guess "D" is from hwy3 K ~130 over the mountain then down Canyon Taraiso and on to Arroyo Grande? No longer passable thru AG, but should be passable to the locked gate at Hwy 3 K155. So to make that trip one has to go cross country roadless in a sparse flood zone for about 2.5 miles to get to the Slate mine road and then to K160. That trip is on my to do list.
On GE the track from Tarsiso to the abandoned building called Arroyo Grande looks pretty overgrown?
Paul
===========
Quote:
Originally posted by Emerson
Heres my score...

Graded dirt road from La Rumorosa - Class 2 to Class 3
Mano Canyon - Class 4
Pole Line Road - Class 4-5
Dirt Rd. A ('South Summit')? (to Pole Line) - Class 5
Dirt Rd. B (to Pole Line) - ?
Dirt Rd. C - ?
Dirt Rd. D - ?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 10:05 AM

Someone posted on here this past year they went down arroyo grande, I think from La Ventana, to Rancho Grande then out to hwy 3 at the locked gate then back tracked and headed east to another gate that was not locked. I seem to remember they did follow Taraiso.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 10:09 AM

Here it is near the bottom of the first page.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=63075
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 02:31 PM

I think we tried to go up Dirt Road B from the Pole Line Road but it was completely washed out at a canyon crossing....but we didn't really search to hard for another way around. Taco de Baja would have the coordinates but he's in Egypt on a family vacation.....
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.