Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  9
Author: Subject: And we are in La Paz! May 2014
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 11:03 PM

you asked for feedback- I am enjoying your travel stories! thank you for the reports, photos and helpful Information on places to visit.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Travelinleah
Junior Nomad

Mood: Waiting.....

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 05:48 AM

I am always looking forward to your next post! We are heading to Baja this October in the RV with La Paz as our destination, the Spanish language school looks like something I should do first! I wonder if there are any volunteer opportunities related to healthcare? Thanks for posting!
JohnK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 07:34 AM

Great trip report! I am living vicariously thru you guys!
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 08:31 AM

Great reports, Blanca. Been visiting La Paz for 10 years and I am finding out new things through your adventures!

Make it a Great Day!!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 10:58 AM

So, I take it this format is ok ... Adding on day by day. If anyone else has a preference, I am all ears. And if this is helpful, all the better!

Thanks all and Leah, I sent you a private msg. About health care volunteering. Let me know if you don't know how to retrieve it.

Welcome to the new peeps.

((((: Gene

[Edited on 4-30-2014 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajalorena
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 11:17 AM

Blanca, looks like you and Les are having a great time, and getting to know quite a bit about LaPaz. I just missed you. Had to go there to do some business. Maybe next time we can meet for lunch!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 01:23 PM

Lorena, see you in Buena Vista in a couple days! We are heading out to a party for 5 de mayo (((:

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 03:21 PM

SOOOOO...

How many kilos have you and Les gained so far?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 03:50 PM

Oh my gosh, Udo! Your post, I swear by all things good, where you mentioned you had lost weight, made me kick into gear! I am now walking the malecon, early so that the heat is not an excuse, every morning with dog Rex.

I may not lose at this rate but I surely don't wanna gain any more!

Notice in the pics that I try to position myself so that Les hides the big belly hahahaha. He knows not to move an inch .... Heck, I sometimes go for months without a drink .... Now it's margarita time every day for happy hour.

Come visit La Bocana

bajalorena
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 03:59 PM

Blanca, it is 4 doors down from us. We will see you there!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 04:00 PM

Ok, so we have been laying pretty low for 2 days

Yesterday we had amigos Wendy and Bobby over for lunch and today for lunch, we snuck over to the Apostoli's. There is a full review here

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=73486

The other day we explored and found EL BARTOLO's Veracruzan and Yucatan cuisine

We didn't have a full meal there, we just had an appetizer and a drink but it was a memorable experience nonetheless

The plants along the outside wall caught my eye first, then the entrance second

Here is the sign

Inside front part

The view from our table, this place is on the malecon, near Republica

The History

And this was one highlight, a special Mayan sauce called ZILQUILPAK (I have no idea of the spelling), made of pumpkin, tomato and spices, including Habanero Chile! Not on the menu but brought out to us once Les let it be known he had just become a Mexican. Very, very good and the heat was at the front of the mouth. Ever notice that different chiles seem to heat different parts of the tongue?

And the second highlight was when the owner, Obet offered us a typical drink from the Yucatan called Torito, from his own private stash! A mix of coconut, nuts and pineapple and who knows what alcohol....sooooo smooth.....so good....thank goodness we only had to walk one block to get home!

This is a picture of Obet preparing a traditional Yucatanian pork dish, Cocinita Pibil. We did not have any since Les nor I eat fat and it looks like there is quite a bit. So, that review will have to be done by someone else!

And besides all that, I am reading Black Swan Green by David Mitchell, so I can participate in the La Paz book of the month club next Tuesday. Assuming we are not in terrible shape after the big 5 de Mayo party in Los Barriles on Monday. (((:

Ahhh the fun of vacationing!

[Edited on 5-1-2014 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 04:13 PM

You guys are have a great time it looks, it seems by your pics there is really nobody around is it the time of the day or no tourism or both??
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 04:19 PM

I have asked the same thing and It seems like most folks go out to dinner, but we tend to have lunch out and usually just eat very light dinners....let me tell you, I love that the restaurants are empty and that we get to really ask tons of questions!

Now, look what I found out, amigos......just a little hunting under "pumpkin sauce" did the trick:

SIKIL PAK is on the net!

Look what a smart woman can discover!

[Edited on 5-19-2014 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 04:21 PM

Ours was mucho spicy, but this recipe does not call for chile. Trust me, we were both in a sweat!

Come visit La Bocana

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 04:24 PM

When we travel La Paz, and the East Cape area, we HAVE TO HAVE our daily ration of tequila...whichever form it comes in (shots, mixed or margaritas).
However...the food is so unbelievable that it becomes a chore to NOT gain weight...walking or not. That is why we were always glad that George took us to the mountains and went for a hike.

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Oh my gosh, Udo! Your post, I swear by all things good, where you mentioned you had lost weight, made me kick into gear! I am now walking the malecon, early so that the heat is not an excuse, every morning with dog Rex.

I may not lose at this rate but I surely don't wanna gain any more!

Notice in the pics that I try to position myself so that Les hides the big belly hahahaha. He knows not to move an inch .... Heck, I sometimes go for months without a drink .... Now it's margarita time every day for happy hour.

Udo

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 04:30 PM

I have asked the same thing and It seems like most folks go out to dinner, but we usually just eat very light dinners....let me tell you, I love that the restaurants are empty and that we get to really ask tons of questions!

I totally agree with you , They sure are really nice looking places place's
that you visit, is the malacon quite also must be the time of year, that dip looks def worth tryin..
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 04:37 PM

Blanca, we have learned to ask for one dish and ask for a second plate so we can split it between Jana and I. We explain that we are not being cheap, just that we are very light eaters.

Udo

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 06:35 PM

egg zactly, I sent this info onto travelinleah via U2U

Lori was indeed a physical therapist before she specialized in just language at her school

BTW the school is absolutely one of the most unique homes I have seen ever. The classrooms are spread out among 7 different levels. Stunning home.

Come visit La Bocana

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 12:37 PM

You're doing good with your reporting. Including the location of shops and restaurants really helps. We tend to hit the same old places when we go to LP and I'm taking notes. Have Fun kids.

[Edited on 5-3-2014 by oladulce]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 05:34 PM

Thanks oladulce! And good advice Udo but if you think Les shares food.....well......not! Hahaha

Today's adventure:

On the off chance that they would be able to help, I wrote the East Cape Dental Clinic about my college "kids"...the clinic does dental work for little ones for free and I asked if they could make an exception and do my bigger twins for free too.

And they said YES!

So, we hopped on a bus (our truck was getting worked on) and 2.5 hours later found ourselves in the office:

This is Clarissa, they both got teeth cleaned today:

And this is the 3 of us as we waited for lunch:

Now, Graciella has a ton of cavities. How many is a ton? I cringe to even write the number. I will whisper it: sevennnnnnnnn. She was never taught how to take care of her teeth. Those will be filled in at her next appt. My concern is her twin Clarissa who needs her wisdom teeth removed and has a possible root canal. The clinic does not handle this. God will provide, he has so far.

Then we rode home and as you all may or may not remember, I snored all the way. Like always.

Now home and relaxing. Is it margarita time yet?

Come visit La Bocana

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.