BajaNomad

Santa Isabel Found - not joking - nomad wanted

Pages:  1  2    4  

David K - 4-8-2011 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Bajacat you shouldn't have any problems going in this time as the road has been graded. I was in there in my GMC. The only problem is that once in the wash we will only be able to drive around the first bend due to rocks in the wash. The first bend is at the top of the yellow marker in the pix above labeled Road to El Marmol 4 miles. That green patch just past it in the middle of the wash is where the rocks are under some heavy grass type vegetation.

Tom, is that (end of drivable arroyo) out-of-sight of the road... ie. will our gear not be seen from the road when we hike down to Santa Isabel? If I am able to get my Tacoma over those first rocks, are there more or would we be able to drive close to Santa Isabel site?

David K - 4-8-2011 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Souds, good I will keep checking this thread for info..I hope DK goes with us..or any nomads that would like to acompany us in this crazzy quest..
Elbeu, next time we see ya, you are going to have to buy the Victorias(cerveza), Pacifico's are so overated,(sorry DENNIS)..:lol::lol:

Speaking of VICTORIA!!!:

[Edited on 4-9-2011 by David K]

TMW - 4-8-2011 at 08:02 PM

DK I don't think you can see the rock section from the road but I didn't go up there to make sure. We need to check out the rocks more closely to see if there is a way around. I don't think there is for a truck, MC yes, but maybe around the side. If so we could go another 1/2 to 1 mile maybe more.

David K - 4-8-2011 at 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
DK I don't think you can see the rock section from the road but I didn't go up there to make sure. We need to check out the rocks more closely to see if there is a way around. I don't think there is for a truck, MC yes, but maybe around the side. If so we could go another 1/2 to 1 mile maybe more.

Okay Tom... great... Looks as of tonight I am going... have a passenger...

wilderone - 4-9-2011 at 07:50 AM

"Pacifico's are so overated" WHAAAAT??? Victoria is better? This subject deserves a thread of its own. I must know the truth.

bajalou - 4-9-2011 at 08:05 AM

I'm still thinking about it - I would come via Coco's Corner and bring a quad to see where I could get with it. Meet up with the crew at ? Full size Bronco w/trailer for quad so probably no M. Sta, Maria. but interested in lost mission area and Tom's mine road.

TMW - 4-9-2011 at 09:38 AM

Lou if you can bring a quad that would be great. We could make you the pack mule.

David K - 4-9-2011 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
"Pacifico's are so overated" WHAAAAT??? Victoria is better? This subject deserves a thread of its own. I must know the truth.

LOL... Cindi, it is very close to Pacifico.... maybe a bit more 'character'. In Vista, there is a billboard advertising Victoria beer, so look for it in San Diego liquor stores or Mexican markets. Otherewise, the photos above were of Victorias purchased in El Rosario. Ed serves it at Baja's Best B & B in El Rosario, too.

David K - 4-9-2011 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
I'm still thinking about it - I would come via Coco's Corner and bring a quad to see where I could get with it. Meet up with the crew at ? Full size Bronco w/trailer for quad so probably no M. Sta, Maria. but interested in lost mission area and Tom's mine road.

That would be great Lou! I hope you come to El Volcan!!:bounce:

BAJACAT - 4-9-2011 at 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
hey check my "WHAT NOMADS DRINK , THREAD"..

bajalou - 4-11-2011 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Lou if you can bring a quad that would be great. We could make you the pack mule.

Got that right Tom. It's a oldie but a goodie - Honda 4trax,

David K - 4-11-2011 at 03:27 PM

Yah, Lou can haul the cooler:yes::!::cool: 3 to 4 miles is a long walk in a sandy or rocky arroyo.. and that is just one way!

elbeau - 4-11-2011 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Tom, is that (end of drivable arroyo) out-of-sight of the road... ie. will our gear not be seen from the road when we hike down to Santa Isabel? If I am able to get my Tacoma over those first rocks, are there more or would we be able to drive close to Santa Isabel site?

There are some tread marks that start to head towards the arroyo farther North. They either end or just can't be seen in GE after a bit, but considering the ground they already cover, perhaps you could push farther and get to the arroyo very close to the site.

Of course, things like this look easy from a birds-eye-view but might be impassible on the ground...but perhaps it's worth a try?

KML File with more detail

bajalou - 4-11-2011 at 05:54 PM

The point where the track ends and the start of you're measure is at 2025ft elevation

The east end where you're 1 mile measure ends is at 1780ft.

That's a drop of 245 ft in that mile, so it doesn't sound very easy to me.

Where the drivable (possibly) track splits, it is 2206 ft.

(Altitudes are from SRTM Height data, World 3 sec. from USGS)

BAJACAT - 4-11-2011 at 06:20 PM

Gang, Im steping out of this one. I just got the coute from 4wheelparts in Chula Vista, they are replacing the front shocks for Rancho 9000 XL(7 adjustables settings)(I kill my shocks and my trip from la Bocana to Bahia Asuncion on last March, that rd is as bad as Gonzaga-Puertesitos,and my last trip to Diablo canyon in San Felipe dind't help much ither, that road is bad too.).. also lower Arm bushings, the problems is they can align the truck with all the worn out bushings and parts, I was ask if I off road the truck, I told them hell yea,allover Baja..I guess Baja is finally geting me back.My truck is a 2004 Ram 1500 4x4 in this is the first time I got to expend money on the suspension,(not counting when I lift it the truck 6"),it has 127,000 miles, a thousand of those miles are in BAJA,so right now money is tight..The total bill comes to almost $800.But I will have warranty on labor, parts and shocks...and alignment also.. so sorry guys unlease a miracle happens as today Im not going.My truck is going into the shop this friday @ 9:00AM
Up to this Date I have replace this items in my truck
3 broken front retaining bolts @ $35 a piece dealer only
left front wheelhub housing(wheelbearings)@ $230 Autoquest
and this Friday 2 Rancho 9000 XL shocks @ 125 each
set of lower control arms bushings @ $65 FABTECH
broken right side maniful, replace both sides @ $ 530 FIRESTONE
I guess is not bad for a daily driver plus weekend truck, Bajarig ect, ect.
Good luck gang, I hope things change for me so I can go with you guys...
I was told by the tech, that is the price to pay when you lift a truck, but I don't care because I also feel the pain at the pump, those 35"tires kill alot gas...
so if any of you have a small car for sell u2u me... I need to save money an gas, so I can go on my Baja trips............................

elbeau - 4-11-2011 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
The point where the track ends and the start of you're measure is at 2025ft elevation

The east end where you're 1 mile measure ends is at 1780ft.

That's a drop of 245 ft in that mile, so it doesn't sound very easy to me.

Where the drivable (possibly) track splits, it is 2206 ft.

(Altitudes are from SRTM Height data, World 3 sec. from USGS)

Yikes. That's a pretty big drop.

David K - 4-11-2011 at 10:20 PM

I have been to the end of the road you lined going north, parallel to Arroyo el Volcan... In our short one day time for this, staying in the arroyo would be the fastest... That is real rough country!

Jose, sorry that the Dodge is costing you... it has served you well! Have you gotten any input from other off road shops besides 4 Wheel Parts?

Perhaps there is still someway you can join us?

[Edited on 4-13-2011 by David K]

TMW - 4-12-2011 at 07:46 AM

Jose get your truck fixed. There will be many more times for Baja in the future. I do feel your pain on the repairs. I took my GMC to pre-run the Baja 1000 course from San Ignacio south to La Paz last year. Being a seasoned off roader that knows everything I dis-connected my anti-sway bar, BIG MISTAKE. I can't say it caused all the problems but probably most. 4 ball joints, 1 front axle and 1 CV joint, two shocks and a few other things and I'm ready to go and the anti-sway bar stays connected. Jeeps do it all the time but I don't thing a Chevy/GMC full size truck with IFS should.

BAJACAT - 4-12-2011 at 07:19 PM

TW, that was i was told a truck with IFS plus lift kit it will eat all this
parts in no time..Im lucky that I don't have to replace my ball joints, but will be next...if sometime comes up I will let you know..

David K - 4-14-2011 at 06:59 AM

OK... with a couple weeks to go, how about a roll call on who (thinks) they are going to Arroyo El Volcan for a close up look at elbeau's lost mission of Santa Isabel site?

TW
bajalou

Ken Cooke... don't you want to see how far your Jeep Rubicon can drive down the arroyo over the rocks???

[Edited on 4-16-2011 by David K]

TMW - 4-14-2011 at 07:42 AM

TW and brother Bill are still going.

I suggest everyone bring a backpack or other means to carry water and a snack or trailmix etc. We'll spend 3-4 hours getting to and back plus whatever time we spend on the site climbing up down and around. Lou's ATV with a cooler will be a big plus. A long sleeve shirt and wide brim hat and lotion to protect from the sun. The wash has many spots that are soft sand and others with rocks and needle type vegitation and water. Lou's ATV can probably get thru to the last rocky section which is before the bend just before the arches.

wilderone - 4-14-2011 at 08:35 AM

I'd like to go but I don't want to drive myself (would rather ride with someone and share expenses) for a relatively short trip like that. I can put everything I need in a backpack (plus water bottles).

wilderone - 4-14-2011 at 08:39 AM

Has anyone considered an approach from west of site B? Looks like there is a trail that leads to it. Might be shorter as the crow flies. Then again, this is the kind of thinking that always gets me lost! Ha!

TMW - 4-14-2011 at 09:00 AM

The west approach was considered on the previous page and Bajalou pointed out how steep it was. The wash drop is not noticed since it so gradual in either direction. It's also not difficult but it is 3-4 miles one way. It took me and my buddy 2 hours going in but we stopped a couple of times for GPS readings and 1 1/2 hrs to come back. We stopped once for pictures and once to rest after starting back. We moved faster coming back because we were pushing the daylight time and neither of us had a flashlight with us.

David K - 4-15-2011 at 08:25 AM

TWO WEEKS TO GO...

Plans firming up... I just got a u2u from another Nomad who wants to join in the fun hike on April 30 to the lost mission of Santa Isabel!

Okay adventure seekers... where are you? :light::cool:

elbeau - 4-15-2011 at 07:55 PM

Hi David and everyone,

I'm still really excited about the trip, even if I don't make it. I haven't posted here in a while, but rest assured, I'm still as excited (or delusional depending on your point of view) about this trip as ever.

I want to throw my two cents in about a couple of things. First, several of you (brianmckenzie in particular) put some real effort into studying and presenting good information about the area and just because your conclusions didn't match mine, I went a little overboard in rebutting your remarks. I apologize. When I U2U'd Bryan he put it pretty well when he said:

Quote:
you have postulated a theory and based it on very limited photographic evidence, then based your rationale not on providing evidence, but rather discrediting my evidence by saying that no one has ground-truthed the location. While it is a correct statement that the area has not been probed, that argument is neutral, not at all bolstering your claim or mine.

He's right. I've had a lot of fun learning about the El Volcan arroyo and surrounding area, and I love the interchange we're having about it...but the "evidence" for this expedition really is just my interpretation of blurry satellite imagery.

...Now...

That being said, I've gone back and forth in my mind about whether or not I see ruins (mission or otherwise), and I've still been actively researching to see if I can learn any more. I keep researching for two reasons. First, a bunch of you are making an expedition initiated by my post, and I feel a responsibility to do the best I can to learn as much as I can and pass it on for your trip. Second...I'm really enjoying this :)

Anyways...Lately I've been comparing and overlaying and twisting and turning four distinctly different satellite images of the site, and I'm back on the page of thinking I still see ruins (please pause here for sighs and laughter).

I'll be posting images of what I'm talking about, but they're kind of hard to produce and describe...mainly because I want it to be understandable to the casual reader of this thread, not just to overly-obsessive people like myself who are willing to spend time clicking image layers on and off and comparing pixels for absurd amounts of time. Like Bryan pointed out, the only "evidence" I have is the images (and up until now I've really only focused much on the GE image), so I'm going to introduce some new images and do my best to draw as much information from them as I can.

Thanks to everybody who's keeping an interest in this and making such great efforts to help!

David K - 4-15-2011 at 08:13 PM

Rather there is anything man-made there or not is not a big deal... it is an opportunity to have fun with fellow Baja Nomads doing something different.

Now, I am sad to say my passenger has dropped out... So, unless I make some good money the rest of this month (and my phone has been ringing thanks to the dry weather), I will NOT be able to have fun with you in Baja this time!

[Edited on 4-16-2011 by David K]

bajalou - 4-15-2011 at 08:33 PM

I started another thread just about the trip. Who-Where - When

Easier to follow than posts interspersed with posts about the area imagery etc

"April 2011 search for lost mission" --or something like that.

Bwana_John - 4-16-2011 at 03:21 PM

Quote:

Anyways...Lately I've been comparing and overlaying and twisting and turning four distinctly different satellite images of the site,

If the sat pics were not taken form the same place in space, you should be able to put 2 of them into a steroscope and get 3 dimensions.

The trick is aligning the images correctly.

Many people can even see 3 dimensions without the steroscope when the images are in the correct place and your eyes are the correct distance.

A steroscope should be less than $40 from a geology supply store.
Survaying and geology supplys

elbeau - 4-18-2011 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_John
Quote:

Anyways...Lately I've been comparing and overlaying and twisting and turning four distinctly different satellite images of the site,

If the sat pics were not taken form the same place in space, you should be able to put 2 of them into a steroscope and get 3 dimensions.

The trick is aligning the images correctly.

Many people can even see 3 dimensions without the steroscope when the images are in the correct place and your eyes are the correct distance.

A steroscope should be less than $40 from a geology supply store.
Survaying and geology supplys

It is true that if the images are taken from different angles, but reasonably the same that you can get a 3D visualization, but I've tried to make it work with the two best images and they're just too different. One was taken about midday in the middle of the summer, the other was taken in the early morning in January five years later. The main problem is the starkly different shadows being cast by the hillsides. The angles of the photos are also quite different, to the point that even the areas that have shading reasonably in common are taken at such a different perspective that to line up all the features in the photos you have to warp the image enough that you lose the stereo effect. I dunno, maybe someone else can do it better than me, but I've tried and haven't had any luck yet.

bryanmckenzie - 4-18-2011 at 11:32 AM

Thanks Lou. I decided to add the LINK here as a convenience for everyone.

Sadly, I too, will not be able to attend; financial reasons.

Quote:
I started another thread just about the trip. Who-Where - When

Easier to follow than posts interspersed with posts about the area imagery etc

"April 2011 search for lost mission" --or something like that.

David K - 4-19-2011 at 11:16 AM

Less than 2 weeks to go... it would seem I am back in with a Nomad passenger... It will be a fun hike and campfire story time... Everyone going, bring some fire wood if you can. Friday night and Saturday night in Arroyo el Volcan... Also, before we leave... a short (less than 1/2 mile) side trip up the arroyo to the El Volcan geyser and pools will be worth it... specially if there is nothing at Santa Isabel.

(remember, if we find the Jesuit gold stash... there is "nothing" at Santa Isabel ;) )

elbeau - 4-19-2011 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Less than 2 weeks to go... it would seem I am back in with a Nomad passenger... It will be a fun hike and campfire story time... Everyone going, bring some fire wood if you can. Friday night and Saturday night in Arroyo el Volcan... Also, before we leave... a short (less than 1/2 mile) side trip up the arroyo to the El Volcan geyser and pools will be worth it... specially if there is nothing at Santa Isabel.

(remember, if we find the Jesuit gold stash... there is "nothing" at Santa Isabel ;) )

I was sooooooo close to giving you a call to say I could come yesterday. I got the $$$ thing worked out, we had family who would have watched the kids, we had airfare chosen, but not purchased...then we realized that all three of our older kids would have to miss their standardized testing. DOH!!!!

My one daughter has been a little "off" lately so it's not reasonable to leave my wife alone to deal with her right now. So (once again) I am officially not coming...but it's killing me.

No matter what your expedition does or doesn't uncover, I'm going to start a thread planning a trip down the old El Tule trail for this fall (or whenever the whether gets reasonable again). Lost mission or not, I need to visit the arroyo this year. :)

David K - 4-19-2011 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elbeau
Quote:

I was sooooooo close to giving you a call to say I could come yesterday. I got the $$$ thing worked out, we had family who would have watched the kids, we had airfare chosen, but not purchased...then we realized that all three of our older kids would have to miss their standardized testing. DOH!!!!

My one daughter has been a little "off" lately so it's not reasonable to leave my wife alone to deal with her right now. So (once again) I am officially not coming...but it's killing me.

No matter what your expedition does or doesn't uncover, I'm going to start a thread planning a trip down the old El Tule trail for this fall (or whenever the whether gets reasonable again). Lost mission or not, I need to visit the arroyo this year. :)

Don't worry Beau, we will cover it from every angle possible... these Nomads are a great bunch... as you may have figured already after TW's pilot expedition to your site.

Everything happens in is proper place and time... I was resolved to sit it out... then the u2u today from a Nomad wanting to do this. :light::cool:

BAJACAT - 4-19-2011 at 09:30 PM

sweet DK, I hope the same happens on my side, I really want to go, plus this will be my first trip with you, Mr BAJA...

elbeau - 4-19-2011 at 11:23 PM

Many posts in this thread have focused on whether or not there was or is water in the area. Here is a quote from an article in "Inter-America":

"By the month of September of the same year, in consequence of a storm, a freshet of the rivulet of El Tule laid bare the very rich placers of this locality, and the neighbors of Santa Cruz hastened to take advantage of them until they were exhausted by the water. The auriferous sands of this valley lie beneath the sediment and the vegetable mold, at a slight depth, and scattered throughout it. There may be found many excavations that contain them, but the water hinders the extraction of them. Art and science have not yet reached there; they do not yet lend their mechanical assistance to draining, a thing that could be very easily accomplished."

This quote helps us in a couple of ways. First, the article describes El Tule as one of the chief mining districts. That supports what DK has said about there being a lot of mines in the general area, which doesn't help my case for ruins...but doesn't destroy it yet either :)

But what we also see is that not only is there water in the arroyo, but there is enough water that it consistently interferes with attempts at doing placer mining by removing the arroyo sediment...even to the point that the author suggests the need for "mechanical assistance to draining". I don't believe the author thought he was only dealing with a rainy season, it sounds to me like he is describing water consistently beneath much of the arroyo.

...unless, of course, the reference to "El Tule" means some different El Tule, which is possible. If someone knows, please chime in.

Here's the page from the publication and a Google Maps image showing the El Volcan / El Tule arroyo (incorrectly labeled "Zamora") compared to San Antonio, which is mentioned in the article.

elbeau - 4-20-2011 at 12:38 AM

Here's a few satellite images lined up together of the "arches" (not surprisingly, GE and GM use the same image):

And here's a thermal image of the area from 1984, which is interesting, but the resolution is 14-meters, which isn't nearly good enough to discern features like we want:

And last but not least, we'll call this one the siezurarch. It uses a simple quick-flipping technique to help the human eye see depth (much like bajalou suggested earlier):

David K - 4-20-2011 at 07:58 AM

Could you put a pointer on, or circle over your 'arches'... on the Terraserver image (or all three)?

The El Tule in the book is very likely not the same place. It is grouped with other mine regions most are south of La Paz. There is no historic 'Santa Cruz' (as a neighbor) near El Volcan.

Keep up the research, however! If there was running water in El Volcan, I would bring my gold pan! There is just south at Cataviña and Santa Maria (very limited) and north in Arroyo Grande and Arroyo Matomi.

GregN - 4-20-2011 at 08:06 AM

Sounds like a fun adventure. Enjoy it everyone.

David K - 4-20-2011 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GregN
Sounds like a fun adventure. Enjoy it everyone.

Thank you... it is (afterall) one of the legends in YOUR book!

http://www.gregniemann.com/bajalegends.html :light: :cool:

elbeau - 4-20-2011 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Could you put a pointer on, or circle over your 'arches'... on the Terraserver image (or all three)?

The Terraserver image was taken in January, 2008 while the other three images were all taken around June, 2003 if I remember right (I'll verify if I get some time tonight). The Bing vs Google images are both taken from a relatively similar angle, but the Terraserver image was taken from a direction significantly westward of the other two images. The Terraserver image also appears (based on other nearby features not visible in my post last night) to have been taken in the early morning hours based on the deep shadows being cast from the SouthEast (again, not in my arch photo because the arch hillside is mostly facing the sun in the photo...the shadows can be seen vividly at the "mission site" which I will post tonight or whenever I get a chance).

So...What this means is that the Terraserver image was taken five years after the other images, it has completely different shadows, it was taken during January when everything was brown, and it was taken from a VERY different angle. That all sounds bad, but it's only bad for comparing images. It's VERY GOOD for offering up new information. In the case of my "arches", the new information it offers up is that they don't look much like arches all the time...bummer...but it doesn't rule them out either as I'll try to show when I get some more time.

Quote:
The El Tule in the book is very likely not the same place. It is grouped with other mine regions most are south of La Paz. There is no historic 'Santa Cruz' (as a neighbor) near El Volcan.

I can't find any information on 'Santa Cruz' near the site either and I fear you could be right about it being a reference to another place, but it would be nice to try to pin it down. The article calls it the "Real de Santa Cruz" (road to Santa Cruz?), so it's possible that it's not referencing a town near San Antonio, just a road...but I'm speculating...I really don't know. What is apparent is that the author names many places all over Baja during those paragraphs including La Paz, the Colorado River, San Antonio, some islands, and many more places. In other words, his subject matter seems macroscopic in nature...he's describing generalities about Baja for the most part. If I'm correct about that context, then describing the "mining districts" could reasonably include the El Volcan (then called the El Tule) arroyo. Again, I'm just speculating, the author isn't specific. If someone knows about a "Real de Santa Cruz" near another "San Antonio" site, please let us know.

Quote:
If there was running water in El Volcan, I would bring my gold pan! There is just south at Cataviña and Santa Maria (very limited) and north in Arroyo Grande and Arroyo Matomi.

Well, we know there's water year-round at El Volcan just a few miles from the sites, and Tom and Bill reported water standing with vegetation growing around it in the arroyo at various locations as you hike toward the "arch" and "mission" sites. You mentioned a Jesuit reference to "Agua de Santa Isabel" if I remember right. Then there's Agua Dulce to the SouthWest which is prominently mentioned and well-known. It is nearer to the site than Santa Maria. Then there's the well-known spring 12 miles from the site towards the Sea of Cortez that is the known starting point for a mission story you posted (your photos of this spring are found at various parts of this thread). The enormous El Marmol onyx deposits show that water has been consistently near the site, even in the ancient past, and that onyx is still being formed at El Volcan.

Now, I'm not trying to say that El Volcan is some kind of WaterWorld...only that there are a significant number of descriptions of water in and around the arroyo. I think that the reason that the water is not better described in the literature is because of the high mineral content and very bad taste of it. Travelers sound like they tended to use the water near Santa Maria, Agua Dulce, and San Pablo on their way up the peninsula...which seems to make sense. The El Volcan arroyo is kind of out-of-the-way when it comes to the travel routes I've been reading about. It just isn't a compelling place to go for most people, but not necessarily because of a lack of water I think. ...so, you might just want to bring that gold pan you mentioned :) you might not find Jesuit treasure, but you don't need to leave empty-handed either. :cool:

David K - 4-20-2011 at 04:49 PM

The Aguage de Santa Isabel is on the 1757 Jesuit map... An aguaje or aguage is a place where ships could find water... and naming that one Santa Isabel (along with the low range of mountains in that area) is what sparked that area to be searched.

It is the third aguage down the coast of Baja from the Colorado delta:

1) 'Aguaje' at the bay named San Felipe de Jesus (San Felipe)
2) 'Aguage San Fermin' (Punta San Fermin is where Arroyo Matomi reaches the sea)
3) 'Aguge Santa Isabel' (note that lower case s is spelled with an f: Santa Ifabel)

Here is a clearer close up:

Here is a close up of the pirated (literally) English version:

David K - 4-20-2011 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
The article calls it the "Real de Santa Cruz" (road to Santa Cruz?), so it's possible that it's not referencing a town near San Antonio, just a road...but I'm speculating...I really don't know.

Actually 'real' means royal (as in 'belonging to the king')... El Camino Real = The Royal Road or the King's Highway.

Ore mills were called 'reals' in the 1700's, as the ore belonged (in part) to the king... and if anyone stole from the king... off with his head!

Because of the mention of San Antonio, I am thinking the author is refering to the Real de Santa Ana (the silver processing center south of San Antonio, south of La Paz). Perhaps there was a Santa Cruz 'real' for the local mines?

AGUA DULCE 29º52.97', 114º49.38' (NAD27)

David K - 4-20-2011 at 05:30 PM

Here is Agua Dulce... on the Camino Real between Santa Maria and San Fernando:

Elizabeth at Agua Dulce... Turn north from Hwy. 1 between
Km. 160-161 (29º51.56', 114º50.35'). Go 1.4 mi. to old Baja main road, turn left for 0.3 mi. then right 0.3 more. Hike into gully.

Above the gully... only a palm shows the spring:

Here is a photo from Neal Johns showing Agua Dulce's water and palm:

[Edited on 4-21-2011 by David K]

elbeau - 4-20-2011 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David KOre mills were called 'reals' in the 1700's, as the ore belonged (in part) to the king... and if anyone stole from the king... off with his head!

Because of the mention of San Antonio, I am thinking the author is referring to the Real de Santa Ana (the silver processing center south of San Antonio, south of La Paz). Perhaps there was a Santa Cruz 'real' for the local mines?

Actually, I think I might have pinned this one down. This is a modern map, but look at how well it fits the text's description of "Real de Santa Cruz immediately South of San Antonio". Now, that doesn't mean that "El Tule" in his text is El Volcan, it could still be different, but the proximity of El Volcan to "the neighbors of Santa Cruz" is intriguing. The author mentions Santa Cruz mines then says the "rivulet of El Tule" exposed the placers, then says "the neighbors of Santa Cruz" took advantage of the opportunity "in this locality"...which really could be interpreted as meaning that the rivulet of El Tule was in the Santa Cruz locality, or that the neighbors went to the locality of El Tule...it's still a little ambiguous...but maybe worthy of you bringing your gold pan :light:

The El Volcan area is the greenish area in the bottom-right corner of the Google Earth overlay image.

And here's what I think is the modern "Rancho Santa Cruz" close up:

David K - 4-20-2011 at 06:24 PM

Those are newer cattle/ farm ranches... quite a great distance from El Marmol. Valladares was a gold producing area about 100 years ago... next door to today's Rancho Santa Cruz (near Meling's Ranch).

elbeau - 4-20-2011 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Those are newer cattle/ farm ranches... quite a great distance from El Marmol. Valladares was a gold producing area about 100 years ago... next door to today's Rancho Santa Cruz (near Meling's Ranch).

I'm sure the ranches are modern, I wasn't suggesting otherwise. Like I said, it's a modern map. You certainly know the history of the area better than me, do you know if these were settled areas back then?

Also, is the Santa Cruz you mentioned in the cape region oriented directly south of San Antonio? I'll try to look it up myself tonight, but maybe you know off the top of your head.

Yes, El Volcan is farther away from the map's Santa Cruz than I would have hoped, but it is true that the author is really jumping all over the peninsula while he describes things on that page. It's does seem out of context though. How many places do we know of named El Tule back then? It's a common-enough name that when googling it I run into other Spanish settlements in other places, including one near the cape. Does the southern El Tule area fit the description of the sediment and placers that the author describes?

Like I said, I'll try to look these questions up myself. I'm not asking you to take time out of your schedule, but perhaps you know the answers to some of these.

bajalou - 4-20-2011 at 08:17 PM

From the book "Lower California and It's Natural Resources" by E. W Nelson, 1905-1906.

P.79 - Drainages of the Sierra Juarez --
Palm Spring, Tako, Guadalupe, Polomar, Agua Caliente, Tule & Aroryo Grande
P. 92 opposite - Plate 24, #1 El Tule Arroyo, a clear stream in Canyon at junction of Sierra el los Tinajuas and Sierra Juarex.

P.25 "Onyx mine near the upper end of El Tule Arroyo". -- well at San Augistin 50 ft deep.

P.81-82 "Dry channels to the coast south of San Pedro Matir Mountains." - A few of these have a little water in the upper parts of their channels. Among these may be mentioned the following arroyos - Matomi, Santa Maria, San Fransquito, Calamahue, Santa Agueda. (San Agueda provides water to Santa Rosalia)
May be other "El Tule" washes on the peninsula that aren't mentioned, but he does mention the one near the onyx mine but no mention of water.

David K - 4-20-2011 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
From the book "Lower California and It's Natural Resources" by E. W Nelson, 1905-1906.

P.79 - Drainages of the Sierra Juarez --
Palm Spring, Tako, Guadalupe, Polomar, Agua Caliente, Tule & Aroryo Grande
P. 92 opposite - Plate 24, #1 El Tule Arroyo, a clear stream in Canyon at junction of Sierra el los Tinajuas and Sierra Juarex.

P.25 "Onyx mine near the upper end of El Tule Arroyo". -- well at San Augistin 50 ft deep.

P.81-82 "Dry channels to the coast south of San Pedro Matir Mountains." - A few of these have a little water in the upper parts of their channels. Among these may be mentioned the following arroyos - Matomi, Santa Maria, San Fransquito, Calamahue, Santa Agueda. (San Agueda provides water to Santa Rosalia)
May be other "El Tule" washes on the peninsula that aren't mentioned, but he does mention the one near the onyx mine but no mention of water.

Good job Lou!

David K - 4-20-2011 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure the ranches are modern, I wasn't suggesting otherwise. Like I said, it's a modern map. You certainly know the history of the area better than me, do you know if these were settled areas back then?

Also, is the Santa Cruz you mentioned in the cape region oriented directly south of San Antonio? I'll try to look it up myself tonight, but maybe you know off the top of your head.

Yes, El Volcan is farther away from the map's Santa Cruz than I would have hoped, but it is true that the author is really jumping all over the peninsula while he describes things on that page. It's does seem out of context though. How many places do we know of named El Tule back then? It's a common-enough name that when googling it I run into other Spanish settlements in other places, including one near the cape. Does the southern El Tule area fit the description of the sediment and placers that the author describes?

Like I said, I'll try to look these questions up myself. I'm not asking you to take time out of your schedule, but perhaps you know the answers to some of these.

I mentioned that your Real de Santa Cruz sounds like the Real de Santa Ana... which is south of San Antonio... just south of Hwy. 1. I don't know a Real de Santa Cruz in Baja Sur.

BAJACAT - 4-20-2011 at 10:35 PM

Come on guys, are you guys crazy, How can you plan a trip bye just beliving what a unknown person said's.You guys should know better... than just go by a story and then to jump into your truck and go...what is the world coming too...

I GUESS IM KRAZY TWO, BECAUSE IM GOING WITH YOU GUYS,THIS IS WHAT EXPLORING BAJA IS ALL ABOUT. a story tell over the camp fire , about a old mine or ancient rocks paintings kind off like whats to make go and find it. Thats how I came to explore Palomar canyon, just by reading a story in a piece of paper.

So what time are we leaving, can I caravan with DK what time are you living SD on Friday...

So thanks Elbeau, for getting us infected with the exploration virus, is not like we are already infected by the BAJA virus.....so see ya in BAJA..

David K - 4-20-2011 at 11:56 PM

It's cool Jose... see you a week from Friday!

TMW - 4-21-2011 at 08:43 AM

Jose that is great. I plan on leaving Hemit on Thursday from my brothers place and get down there early cause I want to check out the road to the La Olividada mine and maybe take pictures of the cross area Elbeau has marked. Several of Ken's group can't make it and I've emailed him to see if they ( I think there are 3 Jeeps now) want to join us even if it's just to do the mine road run and look at the geyser.

bajalou - 4-21-2011 at 09:38 AM

Great José

Tom, I'm heading around that way on Thursday also so I'll probably catch up somewhere in the afternoon.

EL MARMOL ON MAPS 1905 +

David K - 4-21-2011 at 11:44 AM

Originally called 'Onyx' and 'El Tule'...

1911 (1905 expedition)

1919 (1905 expedition)

Two errors on the Almanac/ Mexican topo maps: Arroyo el Volcan mis named Zamora and La Olvidada mis spelled with an extra i (Olividada).

[Edited on 4-21-2011 by David K]

BajaBlanca - 4-21-2011 at 05:07 PM

is this el marmol where the onyx school is located ????

bajalou - 4-21-2011 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
is this el marmol where the onyx school is located ????

Yes

BAJACAT - 4-21-2011 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Jose that is great. I plan on leaving Hemit on Thursday from my brothers place and get down there early cause I want to check out the road to the La Olividada mine and maybe take pictures of the cross area Elbeau has marked. Several of Ken's group can't make it and I've emailed him to see if they ( I think there are 3 Jeeps now) want to join us even if it's just to do the mine road run and look at the geyser.
Tom so by Friday you will be at the arroyo...

elbeau - 4-22-2011 at 12:00 AM

Perhaps I'm spending too much time on the water argument, but I keep bumping into more little tidbits:

First, early on in this thread it was mentioned that other nomads had tried to take MC's through the arroyo from both directions. What I find particularly interesting about Corky's trip up the arroyo is how he describes the arroyo as:

Quote:
a very pretty area. Quite a bit of water and green stuff.

TW describes the trip down the arroyo as:

Quote:
El Volcan would not cooperate. We hit a rock pile right off but not too bad, then after 100 yards of sand more rocks. It seemed the farther we went the bigger the rocks. After about 2.5 miles we start walking to scout the wash. Another mile or so and the wash narrows to about 50 feet with large smooth black rock. The elevation drop appeared very noticable. We could probably have taken the bikes down but getting back up would be another story.

Here's the link of Corky's and TW's MC/walking trip down the arroyo several years ago (note from earlier posts in this thread that even though they walked past the "mission site", they say they did not leave the arroyo and venture up the hillsides:

Here's my best guess at the smooth black rocks they describe:

Here's the link to Corky's and Bill's trip up the arroyo from the gulf side:

...and from farther out:

In addition, I found a picture I love of someone drinking directly from the El Volcan geyser (no word on how he felt afterward):

And I found the following quote in the April 1958 issue of Desert Magazine regarding water availability at the El Marmol mines:

Does anybody know if El Marmol has a source of water?...or is this mineralized water they talk about probably actually coming from El Volcan?

Next, please take a look at this GE image. It's a VERY large feature...look at the measurements and at the level of detail of the surrounding terrain. Before you say that this is just a shadow effect, take a look at the drainage patterns of the two inlets and one outlet and look for the shadows of the surrounding terrain. This is not a shadow. This is a large, clearly-visible body of standing water up the hillside from an arroyo North of the El Volcan arroyo. I don't know if it's a permanent body of water:

...and a closeup:

Here's the
KML file for the water

and the KML file for the trips up and down the arroyo

David K - 4-22-2011 at 07:19 AM

Good mornig Beau,

You have done great with your research!

BillB has a Rokon 2WD motor bike.. it can almost climb up a wall... He had that when he and Corky1 (and Max) explored Arroyo el Volcan (Zamora) up from the gulf coast side. BillB thought about pulling the Rokon up the (dry) waterfall with a rope so he could continue to ride up the wash and see if he could get to the El Marmol road. I met BillB when he flew out from Texas to attend my Viva Baja #4 party... His goal then was to retrace Erle Stanley Gardner's expedition into Sal Si Puedes Canyon, north of L.A. Bay ('Hovering Over Baja')... Then it was to find shortcut across Baja (Hwy. 1 to the gulf).

That dark area you found north of Arroyo el Volcan is indeed a pool of water... I have seen it also on GE. See a similar 'tinaja' at Yubay... no spring, but a place where flash flood or rain water keeps for long periods of time... Tinajas were important sources of water to the Indians and other early Baja travelers.

The photo from the Baja Adventure Book of Victor Cook drinking water looks to be below or at the base of the geyser... since it looks flat.

Here is Elizabeth at the geyser vent on top of the onyx dome/ El Volcan:

There is no drinkable water at El Marmol... it was trucked in 10 miles from San Agustin. There was no road to El Volcan from El Marmol when the town was active, just a mule trail... so don't think they got water from there. Perhaps there was a well of water used for cleaning/ bathing purposes (as mentioned). In fact, near the airport for El Marmol there is/ was a windmill... so that may have been the town well mentioned (about 1-2 miles away)?

Again, great work and research!!!

[Edited on 4-22-2011 by David K]

In April, 2003 at El Volcan

David K - 4-22-2011 at 07:34 AM

Here is my daughter at the top of the geyser:

Here, I tell Sarah how fantastic it would be to get
a photo of an eruption! She isn't amused...

The geyser/ onyx dome:

Just a short distance past the geyser is a large pool of water. I climb up a boulder and take a photo looking north, down the arroyo:

The onyx dome is on the left, my truck is 0.2 mile beyond,
and the road from El Marmol is 0.4 mile from the dome.

Between the El Marmol road and El Volcan geyser, are pools of water:

[Edited on 4-22-2011 by David K]

TMW - 4-22-2011 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Yes I should be there Thursday evening if I don't spend to much time at Rancho Concepcion visiting Mike. Friday I can check out the stuff down the mine road. Ken Cooke said they were coming in Friday afternoon, maybe early evening from Mission Santa Maria.

David K - 4-22-2011 at 11:16 AM

TW, so you are not going to Santa Maria (before El Marmol) to help Ken get out of there? :?:;)

TMW - 4-22-2011 at 11:46 AM

No I have the great respect for those Jeeps and their ability to get out. But if they need me I'm ready with a tow strap.

David K - 4-22-2011 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
No I have the great respect for those Jeeps and their ability to get out. But if they need me I'm ready with a tow strap.

YUP!

elbeau - 4-22-2011 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

YUP!

:lol::lol::lol:

Rofl. DK had that photo ready from the start for sure rofl. Total setup!!!

David K - 4-22-2011 at 11:11 PM

It is the current photo on TacomaWorld forums... (they change their header photo monthly)!

Seriously, I love Jeeps... I used to own one, a new one... and I learned that J-E-E-P stands for Just Empty Every Pocket!:rolleyes:

So, while I love the name Jeep and the history of Willys-Overland creating the first civilian SUV... I can't own one because the quality mirrors other junk produced by American auto companies... at least each time I bought American, it was a disappointment (AMC-Jeep, Plymouth). Each time I bought Japanese, it was rewarding (Subaru 3 times, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Toyota 3 times).

Now, not all Jeeps are built poorly, some get lucky! Baja Angel had a '79 Jeep CJ-5 Silver Edition Renegade for 23 years and loved it. She had other CJs before, too. If I had unlimited income and a reliable (Toyota) backup, I would like to have a Rubicon or the new Jeep Gladiator (or whatever name they use) Truck coming soon... Because Jeeps are cool! :bounce:

BAJACAT - 4-23-2011 at 10:32 PM

you guys are looking at the picture wrong, the Jeep is the top pulling the Toyo uphill, because the traction assits malfunction when the gas pedal got stuck..and send the Toyo down hill,somebody had to recover the poor thing.:rolleyes:

David K - 4-24-2011 at 09:45 AM

Yah, that's it! See you Friday morning Jose!

TMW - 4-24-2011 at 09:52 AM

I think what we need is an Ultra-Light. It could land in the wash for refueling and fly low and slow for pictures. Anyone know of anybody who has one and wants an adventure?

elbeau - 4-24-2011 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I think what we need is an Ultra-Light. It could land in the wash for refueling and fly low and slow for pictures. Anyone know of anybody who has one and wants an adventure?

There's a man named Charles Chandler that has a one-man powered parachute who has done a lot of Baja photography and pit it online. I tried contacting him before I even posted on nomad and he said he was willing but not before he found some more paying work. It would be perfect to get photos from a vehicle like that.

David K - 4-24-2011 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

There's a man named Charles Chandler that has a one-man powered parachute who has done a lot of Baja photography and pit it online. I tried contacting him before I even posted on nomad and he said he was willing but not before he found some more paying work. It would be perfect to get photos from a vehicle like that.

He is a Baja Nomad member... his last post was about a year ago: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=45019

David K - 4-24-2011 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Yes I should be there Thursday evening if I don't spend to much time at Rancho Concepcion visiting Mike. Friday I can check out the stuff down the mine road. Ken Cooke said they were coming in Friday afternoon, maybe early evening from Mission Santa Maria.

I am going to guess we will arrive about 4 pm on Friday... TW, did you see a nice sandy area for camping in the arroyo downstream of the road crossing? Seems like there's going to be 4+ trucks and 1+ motorcycle Nomad campers there...

TMW - 4-24-2011 at 05:13 PM

We will find a safe spot before everyone gets there. It will have to be an easy place so those with Dodges and Jeeps can get there without getting stuck.

bajalou - 4-24-2011 at 06:48 PM

I'll be there Thurs PM or Fri AM.

David K - 4-24-2011 at 07:09 PM

Right, and I didn't factor in Ken Cooke's group of Rubicons (should they get out of Santa Maria!)... What are you driving Lou?

BAJACAT - 4-24-2011 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
We will find a safe spot before everyone gets there. It will have to be an easy place so those with Dodges and Jeeps can get there without getting stuck.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:NOT FUNNY....
SEE YOU GUYS ON FRIDAY....

bajalou - 4-24-2011 at 08:22 PM

Full size Bronco, trailer with quad.

XRPhlang - 4-25-2011 at 06:57 AM

I plan to make it to El Rosario by Wed. evening, Is anyone else coming down early and wants to make a side trip on Thurs? Otherwise I'll meet everyone in the wash, or on the way in. I'm in a '03 Silver Tacoma with a XR600 in the bed.

elbeau - 4-25-2011 at 07:35 AM

Wow! All you guys are unbelievable!

Just think about it for a minute...When I started this thread I was a complete stranger to all of you...I posted some satellite images and some drawings of what I think I see in those images, nievely thinking that it could be properly checked out in a day trip for a passing nomad. My thread talks of lost Jesuit missions and burried treasure legends, it talks of ancient ruins in places previously considered too harsh to support such things. If I were on your end of this conversation I doubt that I could have taken me seriously...but what kind of response did I get?

I of course got a healthy degree of skepticism as I expected I would, but what I didn't expect was for a group of people who are total strangers to me to step up and very actively investigate the idea. You have studied with me, you have taught me, you have listened tongue-in-cheek at times as I've gotten carried away...some of you have already made a trip to the site and documented what you initially found, and are willing to go back again...and now, there's a group of half a dozen nomads all getting together for another investigative trip to the arroyo. I know that not all of you are necessarily going because of your belief in my "lost mission" idea... But I owe you a debt of thanks anyways. Thank you!!! You are an amazing crowd!

XRPhlang - 4-25-2011 at 07:41 AM

Yeah. Like we need a reason to go to Baja.

David K - 4-25-2011 at 08:17 AM

Thanks elbeau, but like XRPhlang says, we use any excuse possible to go to Baja! Sure, going to our favorite beach may be more relaxing... but you directed us to a mystery... and we accepted the challange!

I know the feeling of needing to know, in regards to ancient sites! In December of 2008 another Nomad spotted something on Google Earth that looked like it could be the wall at a mystery site I had been searching for, thanks to Choral Pepper and Erle Stanley Gardner!

In a couple of weeks, my wife and I drove 400 miles south to see if the satellite image was indeed the lost mission site of Choral Pepper's 1966 (July) Desert Magazine story (of their Feb. trip of discovery).... IT WAS! See it: http://vivabaja.com/109

So, while your image wasn't as clear, it will be fun to go and check it out and camp a couple nights with fellow Baja Nomad amigos. Heck, maybe we will be lucky and find something there or witness an eruption of El Volcan? Maybe TW will get through to the La Olvidada mine, 6 miles from El Volcan?

All good stuff!

TMW - 4-25-2011 at 08:40 AM

Ditto on what Phil and DK said. Personally I like any adventure to the desert or especially Baja and it gives me a reason for my brother to come since he hasn't been to Baja in almost 4 years. The thing that really interest me is the corral. I would really like to find a way up to see it better and hopefully I will.

Phil, I will be leaving Hemit Thursday morning between 8 and 9. I'm not stopping by Rancho Concepcion I'll do that later. So what ever the drive time is to the El Volcan wash is when I'll get there. Probably stop to eat at El Rosario on the way.

David K - 4-25-2011 at 08:49 AM

Hemet to Border: 2 hrs. (or less)
Border to El Rosario: 5 hours
El Rosario to El Volcan: 2 hours

BajaCat wants to caravan with us on Friday, so we will see you there late Friday afternoon. What was the firewood situation in the arroyo...? Shall we bring a bundle to add? Friday night and Saturday night campfires will be nice, and it could be pretty cool in the wash.

TMW - 4-25-2011 at 09:58 AM

I don't remember seeing any firewood in the wash. I'm bringing some. I need to make a note to myself to remember. So I should figure 10 hours. That includes a stop to eat. Hopefully we'll get there before dark.

Phil are going to the wash and wait or to El Marmol? When you drop into the wash the road out the other side toward the mine is a little down stream like. When we were there in March we continued down the wash and around the 1st bend and parked.

David K - 4-25-2011 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I don't remember seeing any firewood in the wash. I'm bringing some. I need to make a note to myself to remember. So I should figure 10 hours. That includes a stop to eat. Hopefully we'll get there before dark.

Phil are going to the wash and wait or to El Marmol? When you drop into the wash the road out the other side toward the mine is a little down stream like. When we were there in March we continued down the wash and around the 1st bend and parked.

Yes, exactly... the road drops into the wash... follows it a short distance, then climbs out the other side... passes the white slope of tiny springs and heads for La Olvidada.

So, we will first continue down the wash to find you... if you are not there (before any technical four wheeling)... we will look for you by the white slope... across the road from the slope is where we camped in 2000... a big area... just no sand.

Got an email from my passenger this morning and he is still all set to go... See you Friday afternoon!

TMW - 4-25-2011 at 11:00 AM

DK if you don't see us at either of the places we may still be down the road toward the mine. After we inspect the X area and take pictures we're going toward the mine to check out the washout. If it's not too bad we may work on it. If it's really bad we may park and walk to the mine. I think it's a mile past the washout. The area across from the road from the slope sounds like a good place to camp.

elbeau - 4-25-2011 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
There is no drinkable water at El Marmol... it was trucked in 10 miles from San Agustin. There was no road to El Volcan from El Marmol when the town was active, just a mule trail... so don't think they got water from there. Perhaps there was a well of water used for cleaning/ bathing purposes (as mentioned). In fact, near the airport for El Marmol there is/ was a windmill... so that may have been the town well mentioned (about 1-2 miles away)?

I also found this: "There was plenty of water at Santa Catarina and many fruit trees and gardens. The next stop was St. Augustine, twelve miles from the quarry. Here could be found good drinking and cooking water. The water at the onyx quarry generally had such a high soda content that we used the water at St. Augustine -- hauling it back to camp in large wooden buckets."

-MEMORIES OF EARLY DAYS IN BAJA CALIFORNIA
By Margaret Brown Baldwin

bajalou - 4-25-2011 at 12:10 PM

Saw Ken Cook this morning and he is definitely planning to be there Friday - hopefully by around 11am - total of 3 jeeps.

I gave him you're regrets Blanca.

BAJACAT - 4-25-2011 at 08:39 PM

FROM the wash (El Volcan) to the Olvidada mine how many miles...
My truck is ready, I will be pulling my camping gear tomorrow, still uncertain on what to bring to eat...DAvid I will call you on thursday to arrange the time on Friday..On Friday Im game on what ever time you want to leave...
regarless what ever we find this trip is going to be fun, I need a break from work..

David K - 4-25-2011 at 09:48 PM

Quote:
FROM the wash (El Volcan) to the Olvidada mine how many miles...
My truck is ready, I will be pulling my camping gear tomorrow, still uncertain on what to bring to eat...DAvid I will call you on thursday to arrange the time on Friday..On Friday Im game on what ever time you want to leave...
regarless what ever we find this trip is going to be fun, I need a break from work..

Hi Jose... it is just over 6 miles from Volcan arroyo to La Olvidada mine.

I sent you a u2u the other day with some details on Friday meet up...

Co-rider to Santa Isabel is....

David K - 4-25-2011 at 10:14 PM

The Baja Nomad who will be traveling south to El Volcan on the Lost Mission Search is 'El Vergel' (Vern), who I met a few years ago when Baja Rob took Baja Angel and I over to Vern's beach house.

Vern and his wife Mary ('roxyoso') attended Viva Baja Cactus in 2006:

Mary ('roxyoso'), Vern ('El Vergel') and Jay ('TacoFelix')

TW, bajalou, dtbushpilot, BajaCat, Ken Cooke, 'XRPhlang', David K, and El Vergel... are the Nomads on the search that I can think of right now (one of Ken's Jeep drivers joined Nomad, too... right?

Fun weekend in the desert away from civilization for two nights! Maybe a lost mission, too?:light::bounce::cool:

[Edited on 4-26-2011 by David K]

Satellite overview of April 30 search

David K - 4-25-2011 at 10:31 PM

El Volcan to target 'site b'

Showing La Olvidada

Possible campsites (arroyo bend or across from white slope)

Hike down arroyo (or drive?) north.

Almost there

Reverse view back south from the site.

The site west side of arroyo. GPS is 30º01.42', -114º46.29' (WGS84). Elevation is 1,701'.

TMW - 4-26-2011 at 09:28 AM

DK in the 5th picture up, with the White Slope marker in the lower right, near the center left is a grassy looking spot in the wash. I parked my truck there. The rocks were too big to drive over. Maybe there is a place to get around it. We didn't spend a lot of time looking because of our time frame of getting to the mission site and we were in only one truck without a winch.

TMW - 4-26-2011 at 09:39 AM

Jose, I have plenty of grits I'll share with everyone. I make them plain, mixed with bacon or sausage and or cheeze. Grits with tomatoes are one of my favorites. We can have a good old fashion grits cookout. Elbeau is really missing out now.

David K - 4-26-2011 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Jose, I have plenty of grits I'll share with everyone. I make them plain, mixed with bacon or sausage and or cheeze. Grits with tomatoes are one of my favorites. We can have a good old fashion grits cookout. Elbeau is really missing out now.

Oh wow... and Vern and I are emailing about what kind of cereal we like for breakfast! One of my favorite movies is 'My Cousin Vinny' and besides the limited slip differential discussion, the education about grits was fun, too!

XRPhlang - 4-26-2011 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
TW, How about Red beans and grits with poached eggs and hollandaise?, or Shrimp & Grits with Red Gravy?

Do you have any guess on when you'll be making the turn to El Marmol from the Hwy? Thurs. afternoon maybe?

elbeau - 4-26-2011 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by XRPhlang
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
TW, How about Red beans and grits with poached eggs and hollandaise?, or Shrimp & Grits with Red Gravy?

You guys are cruel! I was born down South in Shreveport and spent a couple years in Mississippi too. I LOVE grits, shrimp, beans, gravy....cruel...cruel...cruel...

TMW - 4-26-2011 at 09:58 AM

I hope to leave Hemit by 8am Thursday. As per DK it's a 9 hour drive and we'll eat along the way somewhere so that makes it 10 hours to get there. So a 5:30 to 6pm time frame should work provided nothing holds us up.

Phil you bring the beans and we'll pig out for sure.

[Edited on 4-26-2011 by TW]

elbeau - 4-26-2011 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by XRPhlang
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

You guys are cruel! I was born down South in Shreveport and spent a couple years in Mississippi too. I LOVE grits, shrimp, beans, gravy....cruel...cruel...cruel...

No matter what your trip does or doesn't turn up, like I've said before, I'm going to make it down there myself just for the fun of it if nothing else. I'm thinking of planing a visit this fall and doing an "El Tule Trail" backpacking trip...hopefully making it all the way from El Volcan to the gulf coast. If any of you come along I'll cook you up the best black beans & rice you've ever had! I can show anybody in Mexico how to REALLY eat beans!

Pages:  1  2    4