BajaNomad

Ceviche question

digcolnagos - 6-16-2024 at 05:01 AM

Can cod be used to make ceviche?

Asking for a friend.

AKgringo - 6-16-2024 at 05:57 AM

I have not tried that, but I don't see why not. I once made some using Sockey Salmon and it was excellent!

oxxo - 6-16-2024 at 07:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by digcolnagos  
Can cod be used to make ceviche?

Asking for a friend.

Ling Cod is often used for Fish and Chips, NOB and is wonderful tasting! The byword for living in Baja is improvisation. So I would say, give it a try and see if your "friend" likes it. Whatever you use, the key for best results is to use fresh fish caught that day.

[Edited on 6-16-2024 by oxxo]

chippy - 6-16-2024 at 07:30 AM

Cod is good ceviche but GREAT for fish tacos!

pacificobob - 6-16-2024 at 08:37 AM

Cod is a very underrated fish. But as wild caught fish becomes more rare and expensive i expect many species will become more popular.

mtgoat666 - 6-16-2024 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Cod is a very underrated fish. But as wild caught fish becomes more rare and expensive i expect many species will become more popular.

Several centuries ago cod was a huge commercial fish. It was wiped out.. good book on this:
“COD: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World“

I dont think cod is under-rated, certain types of cod demand a pretty good market price. That indicates demand.

Re original question, cod should make ok ceviche. Cooked cod has that flaky texture, dont know if the flaky texture of cooked cod would carry thru to ceviche,… try it and tell us if ceviche (limed) cod is flaky, soft, tough, etc.

Key ingredient in Ceviche (in my opinion)

AKgringo - 6-16-2024 at 09:48 AM

Key Lime juice is one to use! Even if it is out of a bottle, the flavor is superior to other lime or lemon juice.

Another trick I learned is to brine sliced onions overnight to be chopped up or coarse ground with the fish. Cilantro is a given, peppers are optional as far as I am concerned.

oxxo - 6-16-2024 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Key Lime juice is one to use! Even if it is out of a bottle, the flavor is superior to other lime or lemon juice.

Absolutely AGREE, but never "out of the bottle", always fresh squeezed (same for Margies for a superior taste).

BornFisher - 6-16-2024 at 10:33 AM

Lingcod are not cod, but make great ceviche, fish tacos, and everything else. I`ve used Calico Bass for ceviche and it was great, cod would be similar.
I`ve since decided the best way to make ceviche is to have someone else make it (too much chopping)!