BajaNomad

heading to BOLA

jimbobros - 9-1-2024 at 05:32 PM

Taking trip to BOLA end of month with 4 friends will be towing single trailer PWC.Gonna travel through Mexicali and San Fliepe!Just checking on roads and check points, plus saw here some bad police stops in that area?Any reports would be appreciated

advrider - 9-1-2024 at 06:37 PM

I've been seeing people posting that the government is checking for FMM at the first check point outside San Felipe, so you might be ready for that. Roads are all good to BOLA, several good place to camp in route if you want to break up the drive.

David K - 9-1-2024 at 09:02 PM

FMM/ tourist permit (get at the INM desk in the first building inside Mexico). All you need is a valid passport book or card.... and money if you want one for more than 7 days trip.

PaulW - 9-2-2024 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jimbobros  
Taking trip to BOLA end of month with 4 friends will be towing single trailer PWC.Gonna travel through Mexicali and San Fliepe!Just checking on roads and check points, plus saw here some bad police stops in that area?Any reports would be appreciated

=== =
IMO your concerns have no merit. Obey the rules of the road and you will never have an issue. No such thing as a bad police stop that happens for law breakers.
Get your FMM and avoid the hassle of the warning and delay they give to offenders.

'Obey the rules of the road and you will never have an issue.'' Ha Ha

Lee - 9-2-2024 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

=== =
IMO your concerns have no merit. Obey the rules of the road and you will never have an issue. No such thing as a bad police stop that happens for law breakers.
Get your FMM and avoid the hassle of the warning and delay they give to offenders.

Everyone has an opinion even those who don't know Baja. A seasoned traveler would never post the above.

Don't believe this garbage. You will be stopped by corrupt cops for absolutely no reason other than they want money. Towing your toys down? Cops think you have money.

Everything the OP has read about Mexicali cops is true. Most drivers know to stop at stop signs, and traffic lights. I'm guessing most gringoes that have been stopped weren't breaking any MX laws.

Cross at Mexicali East, study the maps and cut through the industrial area, coming out on 5 South of town. Be prepared to be stopped somewhere and negotiate with the cops.

Don't think because you've never been stopped that it'll never happen.

mtgoat666 - 9-2-2024 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

=== =

Everyone has an opinion even those who don't know Baja. A seasoned traveler would never post the above.

Don't believe this garbage. You will be stopped by corrupt cops for absolutely no reason other than they want money. Towing your toys down? Cops think you have money.

Everything the OP has read about Mexicali cops is true. Most drivers know to stop at stop signs, and traffic lights. I'm guessing most gringoes that have been stopped weren't breaking any MX laws.

Cross at Mexicali East, study the maps and cut through the industrial area, coming out on 5 South of town. Be prepared to be stopped somewhere and negotiate with the cops.

Don't think because you've never been stopped that it'll never happen.

There are crooked cops in mexicali. They target tourists traveling the main roads from border southward. Boggles my mind that the local, state and fed governments allow crooks to have badges and uniforms. This has been going on for years, the govt approves and condones the criminal cops.

I have never received a ticket in Baja.....

AKgringo - 9-2-2024 at 09:27 AM

But over a ten year period, I have been through the "Mordida" shakedown three times, all in the La Paz municipality, and all for B.S. violations!

The one time I clearly ran a four-way stop right in front of a police car I was pulled over and given a warning and sent on my way. A tree had grown enough to hide the stop sign until I was actually entering the intersection.

David K - 9-2-2024 at 09:58 AM

I also have never received a ticket in all my years of driving, beginning in 1974.
I have been pulled over, sometimes for no good reason, but always have easily talked with officers, with a smile and humor/humility, and went on my way.
Just don't be in a hurry or show fear!
Viva Baja... it is worth it!

Alan - 9-2-2024 at 12:31 PM

Check the hours of operations but cross at Mexicali East and get your FMM. Just pull into declaracion area and tell them you are going for INM. Depending how many are in your party, but a couple of months ago I was traveling in a party of 9. We all printed our FMM's online and all we had to do was have them stamped. Saved a ton of time rather than everybody having to stand there and fill them. No problem tying into the 5. A quick stop in San Felipe at the Cortez Hotel (easy parking for tow rigs) for fish tacos then top off tanks and back on the road. Careful between San Felipe and Gonzaga, lot of deep vados that can spell disaster for your trailer but otherwise smooth sailing to MX1. Potholes start on this section of the 1 but get worse beyond the BoLA turnoff.

PaulW - 9-3-2024 at 06:34 AM

No update for northbound Mexicali east construction routing.
Algogones is in the same status due to new construction. Probably both northbound and southbound are affected.
Watching closely for any input.

Ateo - 9-3-2024 at 07:52 AM

jimbobros:

I did this exact route in August. Heading south to BOLA, there were zero checkpoints. I stopped at the Mexicali border and got my FMM stamped. Best to print it out online ahead of time but make sure it’s properly filled out with correct dates and info.

Only checkpoints I encountered were on the way back North on Mex 1.

heading to BOLA

jimbobros - 9-3-2024 at 01:32 PM

Thanks for information,traveled this route last yearend had no issues.Just saw a friend of mine Bob Frambes got Robbed earlier this year!

jimbobros - 9-22-2024 at 07:56 AM

heading out to BOLA early am should be at border crossing by 6,30 crossing at Mexicali. Any advice or suggestions i will be towing single seadoo trailer and pwc and 3 other passengers.Will goto office and fill out visas and be on our way. Thanks will post some pictures and trip information.Staying next to Campo Archelon on the water at friends place

Alan - 9-22-2024 at 09:23 AM

Cross at Mexicali East. 2 years ago I went through the West gate and when we went for our FMM's he wouldn't issue them because our trip was less than 5 days. I knew I needed them but if the guy tells you its not needed what do you do? I talked with Discover Baja when I got back and she said she has had other members with the same reports and suggested I use the East gate. I've crossed East ever since without any issues.

Make sure they stamp your FMM!

AKgringo - 9-22-2024 at 09:38 AM

A couple of years ago at Mexicali West, the agent fill out my FMM for me, and took the cash, but never put the official stamp on it.

I didn't think about it until later, but if I needed to show it to any one further down the line it would be worthless!

larryC - 9-22-2024 at 12:16 PM

I have been stopped by the police in Mexicali the last 4 times I crossed there. The cop parks along the side of the road immediately south of where you go through the border check point. He pulls you over and asks if you are tired because he sees you swerving a little. Same old story and he is just looking for a payoff. 2 of the 4 times I was stopped it was by the same cop. Good luck with your trip.

David K - 9-22-2024 at 02:33 PM

Thanks for information,traveled this route last yearend had no issues.Just saw a friend of mine Bob Frambes got Robbed earlier this year!

Bob Frambes of Playa Frambes Lighthouse Resort? 'Bob & Susan', here on Nomad.

PaulW - 9-22-2024 at 03:00 PM

Never heard of that at Mexicali east.

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
I have been stopped by the police in Mexicali the last 4 times I crossed there. The cop parks along the side of the road immediately south of where you go through the border check point. He pulls you over and asks if you are tired because he sees you swerving a little. Same old story and he is just looking for a payoff. 2 of the 4 times I was stopped it was by the same cop. Good luck with your trip.

BeachSeeker - 9-22-2024 at 05:58 PM

Just got back from a Bahia de Los Angeles trip (Locals hate when you call it BOLA, btw). This was the easiest trip as far as checkpoints / border crossing I've ever had. I have a tonneau cover on my truck, and 4 out of 5 times I have to open my tonneau at the border and checkpoints. This time I crossed the border and 5 checkpoints (also went to Valle de la Trinidad) without ever having to open it. They seem to be just waving people through, or only asking where you are going. I saw an INM agent at the San Felipe checkpoint, but they were in the hut and never asked about FMMs during any of my crossings there.

The roads are fine. Some repaving fixed the worst section in San Felipe by the Marina. The road to Bahia de Los Angeles is getting bad with potholes, but there are no detours along the side of the road anymore, all construction is complete, for now.

[Edited on 9-23-2024 by BeachSeeker]

David K - 9-22-2024 at 06:39 PM

Many thanks!
Agree, "bola" is a horrible nick name!
I just made post about that on my VivaBaja Facebook group, lol!

mtgoat666 - 9-22-2024 at 06:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeachSeeker  
Just got back from a Bahia de Los Angeles trip (Locals hate when you call it BOLA, btw).

Are those the locals with teeth or the locals without teeth?

surabi - 9-24-2024 at 07:45 PM

I have some friends who vacation every year in a town near me called Lo de Marcos. They always refer to it as "Lodi". I've never heard any local or resident expat refer to it like that. I couldn't even figure out what they were talking about the first time I heard it.

Alan - 9-25-2024 at 09:40 AM

Just like calling it Cali. Never heard a Californian refer to it like that. If we abbreviate it, its always NorCal or SoCal but never Cali!:biggrin:

Basically, I think North Americans are linguistically lazy. Unlike Spanish and many other languages, think about how many of our words have totally silent letters thrown in just for fun. The word Queue comes to mind. Then let's not waste our time coming up with new words. Instead let's just use a word we already have but just give it a different meaning. We don't even bother to change the spelling, just the pronunciation or we can change the spelling but keep the same pronunciation. Or for real excitement we can keep the same spelling and pronunciation but still change the meaning and let the listener figure it out. Whereas for the most part with Spanish, if they put a letter in it, they expect you to annunciate it. Which is probably why we have trouble getting our mouths to twist into the unique shapes necessary for proper Spanish pronunciation with the many letter combinations we quit trying to pronounce years ago and just left them silent and then just for fun let's roll our R's. Because Spanish mostly requires the pronunciation of every letter, is what I believe to be the reason locals speak so fast. It's so that they can complete their greeting to one another before the lunch hour over.:lol:

marv sherrill - 9-25-2024 at 06:00 PM

JimBobros - If your seadoo trailer contains a seadoo - be aware that those and jet skis are not allowed in BDLA (not BOLA). Use at your own risk of getting a ticket or having it confiscated, because whale sharks are still active at this time of year - I believe that the ban is year round though.

surabi - 9-25-2024 at 09:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
Basically, I think North Americans are linguistically lazy.

If we are going to be accurate about place names, you should say Americans and Canadians. Mexicans are North Americans, and while we commonly refer to the area between Mexico and South America as Central America, technically it is a subregion of North America.

And if you think Americans and Canadians are linguistically lazy, they don't hold a candle to Australians, who shorten everything. Some even call their own country "Straya". (Some call it Oz, but that's more often used by non-Aussies)

I also noticed about 20 years ago the proliferation of what I call baby words in English. What we used to call a hooded sweatshirt is now called a "hoodie", a self portrait photo is a "selfie", an infant's one piece sleeper is a "onesie".

[Edited on 9-26-2024 by surabi]

cupcake - 9-26-2024 at 09:31 AM

And what those infants do in their onesie is a twosie :)

Alan - 9-26-2024 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

If we are going to be accurate about place names, you should say Americans and Canadians. Mexicans are North Americans, and while we commonly refer to the area between Mexico and South America as Central America, technically it is a subregion of North America.

Actually I have been corrected by Mexican friends that remind me that we are all Americans. I'd say it is more accurate to refer to the USA and Canada as North America, Mexico to Panama as Central America and south of there as South America

mtgoat666 - 9-26-2024 at 10:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by marv sherrill  
JimBobros - If your seadoo trailer contains a seadoo - be aware that those and jet skis are not allowed in BDLA (not BOLA). Use at your own risk of getting a ticket or having it confiscated, because whale sharks are still active at this time of year - I believe that the ban is year round though.

The ban on jet skis is year-round in the protected marine areas in sea of cortez.

Ban is not just for protecting whale sharks. Protects all marine life, and protects humans from the annoyance too

mtgoat666 - 9-26-2024 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Seems like it.

In any case, intentionally disrespecting given names-- of individuals or places-- may be considered offensive, and in spite of whatever other parts of Spanish we might butcher and be forgiven for, it gains points to show respect by paying attention with names.
:yes:

Funny. In baja it seems like every local i meet has a nickname and no one goes by their given name..

Shortened names and nick names are universal. It is not disrespecting to use nicknames, abreviations, etc.

David K - 9-26-2024 at 01:52 PM

Agree, yet their is a tizzy by a few Mexicans (on Facebook) if anyone calls the place "Baja" or "The Baja" (La Baja)... as a nick name for Baja California or the Baja California peninsula. :light:

cupcake - 9-26-2024 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Actually I have been corrected by Mexican friends that remind me that we are all Americans. I'd say it is more accurate to refer to the USA and Canada as North America, Mexico to Panama as Central America and south of there as South America

Since there are two American continents, a North American continent and a South American continent, it seems that everyone living on these two continents, and their associated islands, are all Americans.

National Geographic considers North America as starting at the Isthmus of Panama:
https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/north-amer...

However, I see that National Geographic also seems to consider Greenland as being part of North America. Does this mean that people living in Greenland would also be considered Americans? They might not appreciate such a distinction.

Most sources I see that denote a 'Central America' do not include Mexico in this region. They consider Mexico to be a part of North America.

[Edited on 9-26-2024 by cupcake]

surabi - 9-26-2024 at 03:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
[/rquote]

Funny. In baja it seems like every local i meet has a nickname and no one goes by their given name..

Shortened names and nick names are universal. It is not disrespecting to use nicknames, abreviations, etc.

It isn't disrespectful to call someone by a nickname, if that is the nickname they go by. It is only disrespectful to use a nickname or shortening if the person you are addressing doesn't go by that name.

I have a friend who everyone used to call Sandy, but at some point she decided that she preferred Sandra. If I had continued to call her Sandy, (other than just using it by habit, before getting used to calling her Sandra) that would have been disrespectful.

My plumber is referred to as "Gordo" by the Mexicans who work with him. His real name is Daniel and I asked him why he is called Gordo, as he isn't fat- he's a big guy- tall and large-boned, but not at all what I would consider fat.
He said, "Well, but I used to be fat. I lost 60 pounds on my doctor's orders." I always called him Daniel and I really don't know if he perhaps didn't like being called Gordo, but just accepted it.