Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: heading to BOLA
jimbobros

[*] posted on 9-1-2024 at 05:32 PM
heading to BOLA

Taking trip to BOLA end of month with 4 friends will be towing single trailer PWC.Gonna travel through Mexicali and San Fliepe!Just checking on roads and check points, plus saw here some bad police stops in that area?Any reports would be appreciated
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2024 at 06:37 PM

I've been seeing people posting that the government is checking for FMM at the first check point outside San Felipe, so you might be ready for that. Roads are all good to BOLA, several good place to camp in route if you want to break up the drive.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-1-2024 at 09:02 PM

FMM/ tourist permit (get at the INM desk in the first building inside Mexico). All you need is a valid passport book or card.... and money if you want one for more than 7 days trip.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2024 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jimbobros  
Taking trip to BOLA end of month with 4 friends will be towing single trailer PWC.Gonna travel through Mexicali and San Fliepe!Just checking on roads and check points, plus saw here some bad police stops in that area?Any reports would be appreciated

=== =
IMO your concerns have no merit. Obey the rules of the road and you will never have an issue. No such thing as a bad police stop that happens for law breakers.
Get your FMM and avoid the hassle of the warning and delay they give to offenders.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2024 at 08:32 AM
'Obey the rules of the road and you will never have an issue.'' Ha Ha

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

=== =
IMO your concerns have no merit. Obey the rules of the road and you will never have an issue. No such thing as a bad police stop that happens for law breakers.
Get your FMM and avoid the hassle of the warning and delay they give to offenders.

Everyone has an opinion even those who don't know Baja. A seasoned traveler would never post the above.

Don't believe this garbage. You will be stopped by corrupt cops for absolutely no reason other than they want money. Towing your toys down? Cops think you have money.

Everything the OP has read about Mexicali cops is true. Most drivers know to stop at stop signs, and traffic lights. I'm guessing most gringoes that have been stopped weren't breaking any MX laws.

Cross at Mexicali East, study the maps and cut through the industrial area, coming out on 5 South of town. Be prepared to be stopped somewhere and negotiate with the cops.

Don't think because you've never been stopped that it'll never happen.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-2-2024 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

=== =

Everyone has an opinion even those who don't know Baja. A seasoned traveler would never post the above.

Don't believe this garbage. You will be stopped by corrupt cops for absolutely no reason other than they want money. Towing your toys down? Cops think you have money.

Everything the OP has read about Mexicali cops is true. Most drivers know to stop at stop signs, and traffic lights. I'm guessing most gringoes that have been stopped weren't breaking any MX laws.

Cross at Mexicali East, study the maps and cut through the industrial area, coming out on 5 South of town. Be prepared to be stopped somewhere and negotiate with the cops.

Don't think because you've never been stopped that it'll never happen.

There are crooked cops in mexicali. They target tourists traveling the main roads from border southward. Boggles my mind that the local, state and fed governments allow crooks to have badges and uniforms. This has been going on for years, the govt approves and condones the criminal cops.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-2-2024 at 09:27 AM
I have never received a ticket in Baja.....

But over a ten year period, I have been through the "Mordida" shakedown three times, all in the La Paz municipality, and all for B.S. violations!

The one time I clearly ran a four-way stop right in front of a police car I was pulled over and given a warning and sent on my way. A tree had grown enough to hide the stop sign until I was actually entering the intersection.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2024 at 09:58 AM

I also have never received a ticket in all my years of driving, beginning in 1974.
I have been pulled over, sometimes for no good reason, but always have easily talked with officers, with a smile and humor/humility, and went on my way.
Just don't be in a hurry or show fear!
Viva Baja... it is worth it!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2024 at 12:31 PM

Check the hours of operations but cross at Mexicali East and get your FMM. Just pull into declaracion area and tell them you are going for INM. Depending how many are in your party, but a couple of months ago I was traveling in a party of 9. We all printed our FMM's online and all we had to do was have them stamped. Saved a ton of time rather than everybody having to stand there and fill them. No problem tying into the 5. A quick stop in San Felipe at the Cortez Hotel (easy parking for tow rigs) for fish tacos then top off tanks and back on the road. Careful between San Felipe and Gonzaga, lot of deep vados that can spell disaster for your trailer but otherwise smooth sailing to MX1. Potholes start on this section of the 1 but get worse beyond the BoLA turnoff.

In Memory of E-57
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2024 at 06:34 AM

No update for northbound Mexicali east construction routing.
Algogones is in the same status due to new construction. Probably both northbound and southbound are affected.
Watching closely for any input.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2024 at 07:52 AM

jimbobros:

I did this exact route in August. Heading south to BOLA, there were zero checkpoints. I stopped at the Mexicali border and got my FMM stamped. Best to print it out online ahead of time but make sure it’s properly filled out with correct dates and info.

Only checkpoints I encountered were on the way back North on Mex 1.

jimbobros

[*] posted on 9-3-2024 at 01:32 PM
heading to BOLA

Thanks for information,traveled this route last yearend had no issues.Just saw a friend of mine Bob Frambes got Robbed earlier this year!
jimbobros

[*] posted on 9-22-2024 at 07:56 AM

heading out to BOLA early am should be at border crossing by 6,30 crossing at Mexicali. Any advice or suggestions i will be towing single seadoo trailer and pwc and 3 other passengers.Will goto office and fill out visas and be on our way. Thanks will post some pictures and trip information.Staying next to Campo Archelon on the water at friends place
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2024 at 09:23 AM

Cross at Mexicali East. 2 years ago I went through the West gate and when we went for our FMM's he wouldn't issue them because our trip was less than 5 days. I knew I needed them but if the guy tells you its not needed what do you do? I talked with Discover Baja when I got back and she said she has had other members with the same reports and suggested I use the East gate. I've crossed East ever since without any issues.

In Memory of E-57
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-22-2024 at 09:38 AM
Make sure they stamp your FMM!

A couple of years ago at Mexicali West, the agent fill out my FMM for me, and took the cash, but never put the official stamp on it.

I didn't think about it until later, but if I needed to show it to any one further down the line it would be worthless!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2024 at 12:16 PM

I have been stopped by the police in Mexicali the last 4 times I crossed there. The cop parks along the side of the road immediately south of where you go through the border check point. He pulls you over and asks if you are tired because he sees you swerving a little. Same old story and he is just looking for a payoff. 2 of the 4 times I was stopped it was by the same cop. Good luck with your trip.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2024 at 02:33 PM

Thanks for information,traveled this route last yearend had no issues.Just saw a friend of mine Bob Frambes got Robbed earlier this year!

Bob Frambes of Playa Frambes Lighthouse Resort? 'Bob & Susan', here on Nomad.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2024 at 03:00 PM

Never heard of that at Mexicali east.

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
I have been stopped by the police in Mexicali the last 4 times I crossed there. The cop parks along the side of the road immediately south of where you go through the border check point. He pulls you over and asks if you are tired because he sees you swerving a little. Same old story and he is just looking for a payoff. 2 of the 4 times I was stopped it was by the same cop. Good luck with your trip.
BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2024 at 05:58 PM

Just got back from a Bahia de Los Angeles trip (Locals hate when you call it BOLA, btw). This was the easiest trip as far as checkpoints / border crossing I've ever had. I have a tonneau cover on my truck, and 4 out of 5 times I have to open my tonneau at the border and checkpoints. This time I crossed the border and 5 checkpoints (also went to Valle de la Trinidad) without ever having to open it. They seem to be just waving people through, or only asking where you are going. I saw an INM agent at the San Felipe checkpoint, but they were in the hut and never asked about FMMs during any of my crossings there.

The roads are fine. Some repaving fixed the worst section in San Felipe by the Marina. The road to Bahia de Los Angeles is getting bad with potholes, but there are no detours along the side of the road anymore, all construction is complete, for now.

[Edited on 9-23-2024 by BeachSeeker]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2024 at 06:39 PM

Many thanks!
Agree, "bola" is a horrible nick name!
I just made post about that on my VivaBaja Facebook group, lol!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.