BajaNomad

whistler

Skipjack Joe - 5-29-2005 at 09:53 PM

Whistler,

I'm having trouble identifying this fish. Could you help me?

Skipjack Joe - 5-29-2005 at 09:56 PM

After you've figured out the fish, perhaps you can tell me where this guy was caught. It takes a 1 1/2 ride from the hotel to get to this spot.

Capt. George - 5-30-2005 at 04:30 AM

Bahamas? Used to guide for those in the Keys, "A Skinny Water Mullet"?

Gonna see if I can get Whistler to whip the water to a froth this fall with his wonder rod......................

Capt. George

I know

baitcast - 5-30-2005 at 06:28 AM

Joe,I read your trip report......And believe it or not,I caught two of these guys,7" or 8" long at La Gringa a number of years back,coudn,t believe my eye,s.
BAITCAST
PS........I can just hear the chuckles out there

pokey - 5-30-2005 at 09:29 AM

Looks beautiful!! I've heard there are bones in Mag bay, one of these days I'll bring my 7 wt down there and check it out.

Skipjack Joe - 5-30-2005 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
Joe,I read your trip report......And believe it or not,I caught two of these guys,7" or 8" long at La Gringa a number of years back,coudn,t believe my eye,s.
BAITCAST

BAITCAST,

I've read about their occurence in baja. They say you can get them at BOLA and Laguna Manuela. I've never been to La Gringa - had to look it up on the map. I wonder if it has those nice shallow flats that are so much fun to fish.

skipjack

La Gringa

baitcast - 5-30-2005 at 10:20 AM

Joe La Gringa is at the north end of BOLA,a nice place to camp,sandy beach,shallow,flat,no chop........what a lot of people don,t know is halibut move in there on a high tide,first light and late evening same for a few corvina.
BAITCAST
PS.......Joe I will be u2uing you ,have a big problem.

Capt. George - 5-30-2005 at 09:04 PM

Whistler,

I think it will be basket weaving, ciau (have to learn how to spell chow).

gotta go buff up my "docksiders".....george

Sharksbaja - 5-30-2005 at 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
BAITCAST

"chuckle, chuckle" Dem Bones again!

whistler

Skipjack Joe - 10-19-2005 at 11:11 AM

Another image I came across last night that may refresh your memory about a place you've been to recently.

church

Skipjack Joe - 10-19-2005 at 11:28 AM

More stuff from our favorite location.

Skipjack Joe - 10-19-2005 at 11:38 AM

One more. Let's see if it makes it under the 50KB limit. It did. I liked those 3 palms on the right and I worked on a composition to include them.

[Edited on 10-19-2005 by Skipjack Joe]

Natalie Ann - 10-19-2005 at 12:16 PM

I'm lurking on your conversation boyz... and wanted to say that those photos are beautiful, Skipjack. The 3 palms looks like a postcard. In which country were they taken?

Skipjack Joe - 10-19-2005 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
I'm lurking on your conversation boyz... and wanted to say that those photos are beautiful, Skipjack. The 3 palms looks like a postcard. In which country were they taken?

Kiribati. But southern Mexico looks like that also. Those picture could be from the Yucatan and you would never know the difference (except for the church). No Catolicos in Kiribati.

Leo

Skipjack Joe - 10-19-2005 at 06:14 PM

You know Leo? I thought you're an S. Cal guy. Leo should be a pretty good bonefisherman by now. He's been doing those trips about a dozen years.

It makes sense that they're using a smaller plane. The one we used was mostly empty. And perhaps it could lower the price of the ticket. $600 each way from Honolulu was quite expensive. I bet it's higher now. About 1/2 of the total cost of those 1 week packages went into that flight.

I thought you'd get a kick seeing one of those little trucks we used to get to the flats.

You're also right about the absence of birds in Mexico. At Kiribati I would come up to frigate birds and could virtually pet them. I remember one of those tropic birds with the long white tails. I almost accidentally stepped on one as it sat on the ground. Amazing birding there for those that like that sort of thing. But my eyes were always scanning for bones!

[Edited on 10-20-2005 by Skipjack Joe]

Sharksbaja - 10-19-2005 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Yeah,I am a southern California guy.I known Leo quite awhile and his partner Doug.I was introduced to Leo by his good friend who lives down here now.He came down here to fish bonito in Redondo harbor.Since then I fished with Leo at

Some of the best Bonito fishing I ever had was from a berth at the Portofino Docks at King Harbor.

Tossing out a feather after working in bilges all day was a treat.

Paulina - 10-19-2005 at 06:56 PM

Glenn,

Any chance you'll be driving to San Jose and happen to pass through Morro Bay???

P>*)))><

Skipjack Joe - 10-19-2005 at 09:23 PM

Whistler,

The birds were magnificent frigatebirds. The males had the red pouch.

My first trip to Kiribati was in a rainstorm. It rained for 3 days out of the 7. I was wet all day riding in those dang trucks. But the rain in the tropics is warm and I never caught a cold. Sitting in wet clothes all day was a bit of a drag, though. Your butt starts to itch real bad as I recall. All in all, I liked the rain and remember it with pleasure. Spotting bonefish was difficult, however, as the clouds make it impossible to see through the water.